Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri Feb 17 2012 14:20:38

eBay Launches New Seller Protection Overview

With eBay's first Seller Release announcement on the way, eBay has launched a new "Seller Protection Overview" page spotted by alert readers. eBay puts a number of measures in place to help ensure that a seller's performance is not impacted by buyers who are engaged in devious or abusive practices.

While much of the new page recaps existing policies already in place, there are some changes. For example, we noticed that the new Seller Protection Overview includes a measure we haven't previously seen on eBay's policies, though we have seen it in practice on occasion:

"When a major event outside of your control - such as a postal strike or disruptive weather - results in negative Feedback, low DSRs or opened eBay Buyer Protection cases, eBay hides related Feedback and DSRss and doesn't count the feedback or any opened cases toward your seller performance rating."

The page summarizes eBay's automatic 5-star DSRs for free, fast shipping; it describes some recommended "best practices"; and it recommends sellers use the existing Seller Reporting Hub to share and report experiences with buyers, including unpaid items, misuse of the returns process, eBay Buyer Protection and more.

Take a look at the Seller Protection Overview and let us know if you see any surprises.

Perminate Link for eBay Launches New Seller Protection Overview   eBay Launches New Seller Protection Overview

by: BetterThingsToDo This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 17 14:31:13 2012

Same old ebay double speak only this time they are talking out of the left side of the tongue.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 17 14:41:02 2012

The page says noting new. It was pointed to in emails eBay sent out as a monthly update to most sellers.

If that page is the best eBay has in its arsenal when it comes to seller protection - they are outright insane.

No major changes were announced (ie invisible magic DSRs, seller feedback to buyers etc) so the email and its new page are worthless.

by: Another Coin This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 17 15:57:03 2012

All I can say is actions speak louder than words and eBay's actions with regard to keeping sellers protected or even standing up for sellers against questionable buyers is just lip service. Common sense and reason should come into play especially when a seller can show proof in disputes of fraud, SNAD and INR. Also eBay has all the data not made available to sellers to prove dishonest buyers. Ebay's Seller Protection is still an uphill battle for sellers with eBay, of course, and buyers being on top.

by: jpv1234me This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 17 16:36:08 2012

eBay simply stinks. a long time dead corpse...

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri Feb 17 17:30:16 2012

The words on a page crafted by PR wordsmiths do not necessarily reflect the reality and implementation of actual policies. Nor should it be interpreted as an indication of the capabilities of the eBay software. Over the years we have seen numerous examples of how dysfunctional eBay is. Policy-makers and programmers have no idea what the other is doing or thinking... and it's obvious that they give little thought or analysis with regard to the impact and consequences (and incompatibility) that any changes will have on the other. On this blog and other internet discussion areas, people have documented many times the vivid contrast between eBay's words and eBay's actions. Talk is cheap.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Feb 17 18:57:12 2012

The eBafia and PreyPal, in fact, have no real “protection” for anyone; buyers get better "protection" simply because that is the easiest way for both these clunky, unscrupulous operators.

Anything that emanates from these two shyster corporations is simply spin, spin and more spin; anyone who thinks (or even hopes) otherwise is equally as seriously delusional as is eBay’s chief headless turkey, John Donahoe, utterly unscrupulous …

Merry Ann Moore’s well put “eBafia/PreyPal” story:

y-now-paypal-is-trying-to-steal-another-675/comment-page-1/#comment-3962

way-to-played-for-a-fool/

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

This user has validated their user name. by: basset

Fri Feb 17 19:45:18 2012

The "major event" trigger would be nice, if it works! I remember being without power for 6 days due to an ice storm. I packaged & hand addressed eBay packages by lantern light and hauled them to the post office (in the ice & snow) to ship the "old fashioned way". My "wi-fi" hot spot was a nearby bakery since I had no internet. On the 4th day, I got a negative from a buyer due to a late communication. After all my efforts it was SO disheartening! Emails to explain went unanswered, of course!
  To eBay's credit I did call them & asked customer service if they could put some kind of notice on there about the ice storm & massive power outage. The next time I was able to look, a notice was there - Off to the side. Easy to miss but it WAS there. Unfortunately, so was the negative that stuck around for 12 months.

Now I live in hurricane country - the possibility of power outages & worse exist, so I do appreciate ANY effort to diminish negatives due to inability to communicate.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri Feb 17 23:29:52 2012

Thanks for the links, Philip! Pretty scary stuff. You know... I dumped PP from my web store because of their higher fees... but if I hadn't already done so back then, my reason for dumping PP now would be because of the RISKS!!

That's also why I sweep my funds OUT of PP every single day. Even if it's just one dollar... I gets transferred. I just don't TRUST the bastards.

And out of my own personal spite and contempt for PP I stopped using PP to purchase anything... and based on Merry Ann Moore's story, it appears that my spite has the added benefit of protecting me against stealth piggy-back charges.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Feb 18 00:15:43 2012

Annie, does the word "clunky" come to mind?

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 19 12:54:45 2012

you mean, once we kicked enough of you out to the curb, we'll give some crumbs to those left standing so they cheer and write good things about us.

how many months will this last? Which Sybil is talking

by: mendopower This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 20 13:59:36 2012

Ebay simply does not do what it claims to do on this.  And becasue our contracts with them are non tort, (as one sided their way as those a peasant had with a Medeival Lord) there is nothing we can do.  I had a buyer who said everything was fine, then gave me negative feedback and threatened my life and my family for not giving into his extortioin (he wanted to renegotiate the shipping, which was well within standards and agreed upon ahead of time) by demanding I pay pal him outside of Ebay $10.  When I didnt the threats started.  So far no action on Ebay and no response to complaints about the threats.  Just IGNORE anything Ebay says is my view, they dont do anything whatsoever for the seller

by: iwasjoe This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 20 16:03:26 2012

to mendopower
if he sent a email therting your life CALL THE POLICE THAT IS AGAINST THE LAW. also contact ebay and show them those emails if they don't fix the proublem keep trying and send the police report to them.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 20 19:49:42 2012

Doesn't work. I mailed an item the same day as it was paid for. The Post Office took 32 days to deliver it from one California city to another California city. The angry buyer gave me a 1 in my DSR rating for shipping. When I talked to an Ebay Rep and she confirmed that I did indeed, ship it the same day, she explained that a buyer can rate you anyway they want. Doesn't matter whether it is factual or not. Also when I pointed out that he should not have been able to leave that DSR rating on shipping because I shipped the same day, she said it was a glitch and would report it to the proper Ebay staff.
I live with it just as I live with all the other problems I have with Ebay and Ebay buyers. What it comes down to for me is when Ebay kicks me off for low DSR ratings or when I can no longer benefit from sales off Ebay, I will move on.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Feb 22 20:58:04 2012

@Tiffee Jasso, You can't expect a simple buyer to understand eBay’s DRS system, nor from dinging you in such circumstances as you describe. The problem with this system has always been eBay's unfair, incompetent and unconscionable evaluation of such ratings.

Regrettably, the people running eBay are literally so incompetent that, four years later, they still don’t realize, or care, that this DSR system is an abomination and serves the purpose of no one, not even themselves.

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 22 22:59:50 2012

Oh golly gee we have another policy for seller protection that is really not.  So if anyone even dares to think that eBay is going to help you with that buyer who leaves you a low dsr when you did absolutely nothing wrong then you are a idiot. eBay has cheated honest sellers and refused to help them even with the proof in front of them, there is nothing eBay can do to make this right. Sellers have left in droves because eBay policy is simply either wrong or wrong and dishonest. eBay has made a whole lot of people angry and not just a bit angry, a whole lot of angry. This John Donahoe guy is just a complete moron, the hundreds of millions he has lost eBay in fee revenue because of fleeing sellers will go down in business history as the biggest blunder ever. The PayPal holds are about to become the second biggest blunder.  Once you cross that line where you are so dishonest that you cannot bribe the judge anymore you are in trouble and Donahoe has crossed that line.  It is really a shame that eBay's board lacks the courage to derail the spoiled bully Donahoe and his Bain brain. It is time to resign Donahoe you are just making a fool of yourself, the class action lawsuits you are about to lose should end you.