Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Feb 7 2012 23:47:27

eBay Auction Promotion Not Fair to Store Subscribers

eBay is running a free-listing promotion for auction listings today, but excluded Store subscribers. Oddly enough, eBay emailed the announcement to store owners, which some sellers found annoying or unfair.

Over the past year, eBay has included Store owners in many of its free-listing day promotions - and today's exclusion had some Store owners fuming.

One EcommerceBytes reader wrote, "One curious thing, this (announcement) was sent to my selling ID, since that ID is the one attached to the store, and since stores are excluded from this promotion, it does not make sense that they included store owners in the list to receive this announcement."

Another reader wrote, "It is not fair that Ebay will not let people with stores take part in the free listing today. I think that the only people who make money on Ebay is Ebay!!! Store people should complain that they cannot take part in the free listing today."

eBay Store owners pay $15.95/month for a Basic Store subscription, $49.95/month for a Premium Store, and $299.95/month  for an Anchor Store. Store subscribers pay different listing and final value fees than non-subscribers (non-store owners pay higher FVFs, for instance).

eBay may be reverting back to excluding Storeowners from FLDs as it had in the past - only time will tell.

Perminate Link for eBay Auction Promotion Not Fair to Store Subscribers   eBay Auction Promotion Not Fair to Store Subscribers

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Feb 8 00:03:13 2012

Honestly, I wonder if there's any advantage to having a store any more. I've been thinking about canceling it for quite a while now... but I'm stuck here on the fence.

I don't believe it benefits me in ANY way whatsoever as far as visibility is concerned. I do realize that there are some savings on final value fees, but if the savings are less than the store fees, then what's the point?

The only advantage that I can think of is that it's easy for me to put my store ''on vacation'' whenever I'm going to be away for a few days. This (amazingly) appears to be working as intended... and putting my store in vacation mode is easier than manually canceling all of my listings, and then having to re-list everything when I return.

For the longest time, we sellers were led to believe that there was a sales advantage to having a store... I'm seriously questioning that now. But what if it *is* true? What if there *is* some slight advantage to be had? Will my eBay sales become even WORSE than they are now if I go ahead and cancel my store?

My regard and respect for eBay now matches the regard and respect that they have for me. (And that's not saying very much!)

by: Another Coin This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 01:45:41 2012

Thanks Annie for saying exactly what I have been thinking all these months. I go back and forth wanting to drop my store but .. will it hurt my sales even more? The basic store and listing fees for stores is getting too expensive and no way do I want to upgrade to $49.95. Why throw even more money away? Here is where eBay is putting the screws to their sellers .. if you open a new ID, eBay will hold your money for at least 21 days or longer. I opened a new user name a year or so ago to get the 50 free listings and didn't make the 100 sales in so many days. Ebay put a hold on any future sales. I wish I would have opened up several user IDs years back. So now eBay just sucks as much money as they can get from me. Ebay should make the free listings for those without a store AND at least the basic store subscribers. Obviously they realize, the greedy ba$tard$, all the money they are bringing in from their lowly basic invisible store sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Feb 8 01:52:50 2012

I have also been giving serious thought to canceling my store. The only advantage I see is that when people look at one listing they can go to my store to see others but they can also just click on the link for my other listings.
I used to have a premium store but gave that up for the basic.
I am now listing only auctions since I get a lot better exposure. I usually sell about half of what I list in a week since I start them at fair prices and there are times I get a lot more than I would have listed it for at a fixed price but that is typical for collectables.
If they are going to exclude store owners from the free listings then it obviously far better for me to not have a store period.

Bill

by: BetterThingsToDo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 05:46:48 2012

Its a no brainer. I have a store and three other selling ID without a store.

I enjoy the free listing days as I have hundreds of auctions in Que for it.

Just push the button and Wham Listed.

Why whine about it. Just get another ID.

by: Another Coin This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 14:04:13 2012

@Better
Why whine about it. Just get another ID.

It is not as easy as you seem to make it. Getting any new ID means holds in Paypal for at least 21 days to get your money. With eBay there is always some sort of catch. Who wants to wait a month to get paid or longer? When will Paypal be satisfied enough to release a new ID from holds? Also don't forget about the devious DSRs hovering over every seller's head. So unless you list 100s or 1000s right from the get go, new IDs will be out for the count in no time.

Of course eBay doesn't care if you make sales, they just want body counts.

by: Saintsteven This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 14:09:16 2012

It's a little like the marketing folks can only dream up one promotion (free listings) and intend to test it with every variable under the sun for around 15 months.  To me, it looks like they're stuck.

by: BetterThingsToDo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 17:29:57 2012

@another coin

I have never had a hold on my paypal funds from the other three ID's I use. All three of them are tied to my original selling account which is in good standing.

I sell hundreds of dollars on each account each time there is a free listing. Never had a hold but then I don't drain my paypal account of every dime each day either. There's plenty of money in there if pigpay wants to hold some of it so be it.

by: Lost Cake This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 18:04:45 2012

I closed my Bay store in 2008, and moved to one of the smaller venues. My store sales have been the same, if not better in the new location, all without store fees. I still run 50 auctions a month (free) on Bay, and throw up older or unsold stuff on the FLDs. I am a small seller...maybe 15-20K a year, but for me it was a win-win situation. I primarily use my Bay listings to promote my other store...actually getting paid to advertise. To those who are 'on the fence' just try it out. It does not have to be an all-or-nothing deal. Don't close your Bay store immediately. Just move some stuff over, and see if it works for you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Feb 8 18:15:47 2012

I can't believe that people actually leave money in a prudentially unregulated PreyPal "account". Not only does PreyPal collect over-night money market interest on your money, it costs them nothing to then access those funds when you spend them via PreyPal.

If possible, you should all take your money out automatically on a daily basis; give them access to your funds only via a credit card account: make them pay the going retail bank credit transaction rate; after all, that’s what they charge their “merchant” users and more.

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Feb 8 18:18:08 2012

eBay management is clueless and dysfunctional.

IF ( and that's a BIG IF) eBay management is wondering why sellers hold the company in such disdain they need look no further for the answer than the manner in which they exclude classes of sellers during promotions as they did here.

Excluding store sellers from promotions is a slap in the face that quite frankly, store sellers do not deserve.

It is obvious that management takes store sellers for granted. Non store sellers are already receiving 50 free listings each month. Store operators who pay a monthly fee for the store plus fees to place every listing deserve a break too.

by: unaware This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 21:36:02 2012

I feel insulted as a Store owner on eBay either way because I feel that the monthly store fee should be all that eBay should be getting anyway (other then final value fees). I wish eBay would just do away with the stupid per item listing fee... I have a Premium store and pay them almost $50.00 a month for that and then have to spend 5 cents for every listing every month on top of that. I keep anywhere from 300 to 800 items in my store at a time and would certainly consider having more in my store (perhaps 2000 or so items) if it were not for that monthly per item fee. Granted, the additional 1200 or more items would be my lower dollar items (under $10.00 collectibles) but I think overall eBay would make more money if these were also available to buyers. Right now I take low dollar items out of my store after 2 or 3 months if they don't sell right away. This is one area where I think Amazon is superior to eBay... without the monthly per item fee, I keep about 600 music CDs listed on Amazon at a time, with most of them priced about $5.00 each. I learned long ago that I cannot afford to have those in my eBay inventory. Yet, every month I sell 3, 5 or 8 CDs on Amazon... business that eBay is missing out on. Let me pay a monthly fee and list up to so many items (2,000 or perhaps 5,000 items) and then charge me a final value fee but please do away with the ''per item'' monthly fee!

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Wed Feb 8 21:53:57 2012

@unaware

please keep that quiet.   hush! delete that post even quick!  don't give ebay any more ideas about getting rid of or lowering fees.  the last time they lowered fees, mine went up over 30%.  go figure.

if they get rid of the listing fees to promote NO MORE LISTING FEES,  i guarantee somehow your fees will go up overall. :)

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Wed Feb 8 22:05:20 2012

Regarding not including store owners on the free listings- there is no limit on how many times ebay will slap you in the face, at least under the current leadership and business model.

it would be nice if that changed.

also, has any one noticed page views REALLY fell of a cliff today?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Feb 8 22:54:32 2012

Someone with more time of their hands than I have could figure out that offering these free listings to non store owners are more profitable than including store owners.

It's how ebay is.

Still no fee refunds for last week's extensive outage.

Ebafia and PrePal: lying, stealing, and cheating their way to profitability.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Feb 9 02:32:43 2012

@ Anonymous Annie

There are some things you need to consider before shutting down your store.  First thing to consider is NOT the FVF you pay, but the listing fees you pay.  With the Basic Store for 15.95.  It will benefit you to have the Basic store IF you list 50 or more BIN listings every month.  That is about your break even point.  But you really need to evaluate ALL the fees you are paying, but again paying very close attention to the LISTING fees and they are very expensive with out a store.

This link may help you in your decision making process.

rator.html

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 9 08:11:29 2012

Why is ebay doing this?

Pretty simple - auctions are dead for ebay - no brain surgery required to figure this one out. Anyone who is successfully using auctions pretty much has OOAK items because the chinese sellers are impossible to compete with on new. Ebay is stupid. They want to make more money? Get rid of the chinese sellers - restrict them to a chinese ebay and leave them there. They opened their own can of worms when they let them in in the first place - so it is what it is. I have multiple ebay id's and NEVER take advantage of the free listings anymore even when they do pop up - their just a huge time waster for me. I'd rather see ebay go to a flat rate platform like Amazon for my store items. Their always talking about being like or better than Amazon - well then let's make it a level playing field shall we?

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Thu Feb 9 08:13:55 2012

@Philip Cohen:

One caveat about Paypal making money from funds left in Paypal accounts is that current money market rates are only 0.01%, so they certainly aren't making much. I'm not a Paypal fan, but I don't see those near-zero rates as being incentive to hold money for longer periods of time.

As for the free listings, well, store owners get far smaller insertion and FVF fees than non-store-owners, so perhaps eBay feels they don't need the free listings as much. I hope they continue with these free listing days, since it helps my business. My items are usually long-tail items that don't move as quickly as others, so it's too expensive to get a store or pay for repeated listing fees. I try to queue up a bunch of auctions so I'm ready when these listing sales come along. If I want a store to keep my items, there are a lot of other sites where I can stash them for free.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Thu Feb 9 08:59:00 2012

I believe that will end the promotions in January, it looks I was wrong.

Now about the idea of no adding the store sellers is just part of their "testing" methods. A company can have a stupid president or want to show traffic to the stockholders, but there is always someone working to see how they can made more money.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Feb 9 09:19:02 2012

@Whatever

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but auctions are not dead on Ebay.  Auctions account for about 40% of Ebay's income.  So they are still a VERY large part.

As for the free listings not being offered to store owners.  I've been convinced for a long time that they do this to encourage sellers in having multiple accounts.

Back when Ebay first made the big changes to bring store items into the main searches, they had mentioned that sellers with multiple selling accounts in order to take advantage of the monthly free listings may get in trouble with them.

They quickly backed off that as I'm sure they saw the postive effect of what they did.  The inflated membership numbers.  A great number of sellers have multiple selling IDs.  Which in turn makes the Active Membership numbers go up.  So JD can keep saying the active membership is growing.

Several years ago Ebay had like 88 million active members worldwide.  I have no clue how many there are now, but I'd venture a guess it's a whole lot more.

by: Luxe This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 9 10:40:29 2012

This is exactly what happened to me.  I received eBay's message delivered to my store user id,  and the one time I didn't read the fine print, listed a bunch of items that I would not have listed at auction if it weren't free.  I'm mad at myself for not reading the fine print, but it was at least partially eBay's fault for the way they sent the messages.