Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Feb 1 2012 17:02:41

eBay Experiences Technical Issues, Sellers Can't Sign In

eBay is experiencing technical issues this afternoon, and apparently the phone lines are lit up. Sellers report they can't sign in or see their listings, and some say that PayPal is affected too. Some sellers said they've already been on hold with customer service for the last 40 minutes.

Here are some comments from discussion board threads on eBay where sellers are reporting the glitch:

"I can't see any of my sold listings this afternoon, am trying to see if itmes have been paid so I  can ship, but this error keeps appearing."
- MyEbay.BIZ.QUERY_UNKOWN_ERROR - link to thread.

"Pay Pal is having issues too. Won't hold tracking numbers.. on their site or transmit them to eBay."
- Help can't sign in or see my listings - link to thread.

An EcommerceBytes reader wrote in, "The eBay site is not showing anything on sellers My Ebay page. Users can not log in. The wait time on CS is over 40 minutes. Just a heads up. Sounds like something major crashed to me and I've got over 1000 auctions ending today that I can't even see....can the buyers see them and bid, likely not."

You can indicate whether you are having the technical issue or not by entering a thumbs up (problem) or thumgs down (no problem) on the EcommerceBytes EKG board.

eBay's Johnna Hoff is looking into the problem, stay tuned!

Perminate Link for eBay Experiences Technical Issues, Sellers Can't Sign In   eBay Experiences Technical Issues, Sellers Can't Sign In

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Wed Feb 1 17:33:39 2012

I have experienced the same problem.  Won't recognize my Seller ID and Password.  Just talked to CS. I only had to wait less than one minute.  She said problem is not only in the U.S. but also in U.K. and Canada. It's a major technical issue according to her.  No estimate of repair time.

by: BetterThingsToDo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 1 18:16:50 2012

I've been going back and forth between 4 different stores all afternoon and other than being a tad slow I haven't had any problems signing in.

This user has validated their user name. by: basset

Wed Feb 1 19:58:11 2012

I've noticed weird things today, but I have been able to log in to eBay. Items that had been paid for, were showing up as unpaid on eBay. Also, when an item sold, I could pull up the invoice to send - but there was NO "send" button to be found! My seller account is a bit strange, January fees balance is missing with a message that the 'balance is unavailable at this time'. Little weird things like that - do you think churning out those 1099's (still not available that I can tell) has fried portions of eBay & PayPal systems?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Wed Feb 1 21:07:48 2012

@Basset, that is a really interesting theory! I haven't heard from any seller who's received a 1099-K from PayPal yet. (Plenty of Amazon sellers have received them, and merchant credit card account holders.)

by: Duke This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 1 21:39:15 2012

I was able to log in around 4 EST today.  But I wasn't able to contact buyers, look at orders, or do anything in the resolution center.  Also, all of the postage printed at that time is not showing shipped on eBay and I am having to add the tracking numbers now.

Thankfully, Paypal came up.  I was able to get the buyer's emails from there and email them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Feb 1 23:18:00 2012

Was able to process sales this afternoon after 4:15 or so.

One of my two PayPal accounts shows a serious lag in sending payment received notices - up to 3 hours late, the other seems to be unaffected.

I did see that search had serious lags earlier in the afternoon  where it would take minutes for pages to update.

eBay's announcement page does not provide any information or even a mention of any ongoing issues, as usual, there is more information about problems on eBay on this blog than there is on eBay. Guess they still are afraid of making their IT issues a matter of public record by posting it on their announcement page where their Wall Street masters would see it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Feb 2 01:08:22 2012

The login problem I experienced lasted more than two and one-half hours Wednesday afternoon. The system wouldn't recognize my password.

I waited 33 minutes to speak to a CSR who used every verification question they have to make sure it was me.

I told the CSR I couldn't log in and why. Instead of immediately admitting the problem, the CSR asked more questions as to the nature of "my" problem.

Only after answering a litany of questions did the CSR finally admit that "a server is down" and how hard at work they were trying to get things back online.

I was denied a fee refund.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Thu Feb 2 10:57:37 2012

A reader reports receiving a 1099-K from PayPal yesterday, but is not yet able to access the report online.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Feb 2 19:15:08 2012

I'm still tuned in waiting to hear whatever hilariously ridiculous story Johnna Hoff will offer.

Still waiting.

Still waiting...

Still waiting......

My guess: the hamster stopped peddling the wheel that powered one of those $29.95 Chinese servers.

Still waiting, Johnna.

Fee refunds, Johnna?

Still waiting, Johnna.

This user has validated their user name. by: Frankcoins

Fri Feb 3 04:04:34 2012

We listed over 100 items on the free list day last Friday. I thought I would be clever and run them 5 days to end on Wednesday so there would be less competition from many auctions ending Friday.  We almost always get last minute snipers and many items ended for less than we paid, with no biding at all the last couple of hours before end time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Feb 3 05:10:13 2012

“eBay Revs Up Enhanced Motors App”

tors-app/#comment-385

“The updated app makes typing in the search field unnecessary. Now shoppers simply need to take a photo of the car or part they’re looking for in order to search for it on the marketplace, eBay reports.”

It would seem to me that recognizing a make of vehicle or a car part would be a little more complex than say number plate recognition, so I would ask, can this claim have any validity? Of course, I am biased, I don’t believe anything that eBay says.

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Fri Feb 3 06:52:42 2012

See the next blog post, "Should eBay Credit Sellers for Site Disruption?"

@Frankcoins - have you asked eBay customer service for refund of your fees?

by: Shawn This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 09:16:43 2012

Obviously, it wasn't just sellers who could not log in. As an avid ebay shopper and collector, I was shocked to be unrecognized for hours. Thankfully, I didn't lose anything because of the glitch.

Oddly, I could log on on my phone and my Nook, but not on my home PC, which is where I do my shopping.

by: 10 year seller This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 10:54:39 2012

I wonder if their site was attacked by ''Anonymous''.
They have been on a hacking revenge spree. They're angry at Paypal for holding Julian Assanges web donations.
It seems odd, even for eBay that they didn't post an announcement. It hit a lot more people than %15. Most couldn't log in to post a complaint.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Feb 3 12:58:26 2012

@Shawn,

Wot, you don't do all your online shopping via your phone. eBay's chief headless turkey will be disappointed.

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: spirit-of-shiloh This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 14 23:36:01 2012

I had the same problem but thought I was typing my password in error? I had the same problem awhile back with PayPal and tried many times until it said I would have to wait 24 hours to log on? Like online banking tells you in case your account is being hacked? So I waited about an hour with eBay then tried again and was successful. I didn't want to have to wait if they too thought I was a hacker as I have listings to check on.
eBay is slowly killing itself with these stupid upgrades as they want to keep up with the Joneses:( I could write a ''mini book'' on all the latest glitches as a result of the new and improved eBay.