Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Dec 31 2012 17:20:00

Online Sellers' New Year's Resolutions

Taking better photos, selling unwanted things on eBay, and making time to read the Sunday papers are three of the biggest aims for Brits in 2013 - that's according to a survey of UK consumers commissioned by private gym chain LA fitness.

Respondents had mixed feelings about social networking sites. "Less time on Facebook" and "Socialise more in real life rather than Facebook" were high on the list of New Year's resolutions. But respondents also resolved to "Learn how to use Twitter" and "Get better at social networking."

"I want to sell old stuff I don't need on Ebay" was number 7 on the list.

The survey firm concluded, "New technology and life's modern pressures mean over 60% of us no longer make traditional New Year's resolutions - instead we're promising to reduce the stressful aspects of our life to create a better work-life balance."

New Year's Resolutions for Online Sellers!
We wondered what resolutions online sellers have made for the New Year. Aside from the old standbys - lose weight, exercise more and quit smoking - have you made any commitments to improve your business, lower costs, or boost your profit margins? Have you developed strategies for 2013 to drive more traffic to your websites and product listings, and increase conversions?

Some people find networking helpful in getting ideas and sticking to plans - do you have online or offline colleagues to help you stay motivated?

And to get back to the survey mentioned above, how do you feel about social networking sites? Do you need to spend more time on them, or less? (Funny how taking better pictures was on their list, that could be on the list of many online sellers as well!)

Regardless of whether you make New Year's resolutions, it's a good time of year to do some business planning as you pull your 2012 sales and expense figures together. What are your goals for 2013?

(And be sure to check out the AuctionBytes Blog where Julia wrote an entertaining post, "Best and Worst of Online Selling in 2012.")

Perminate Link for Online Sellers' New Year's Resolutions   Online Sellers' New Year's Resolutions

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 31 19:47:51 2012

My resoulution to start the difficult process of moving a large percentage of our business off ebay
The money's on ebay but they are way to hard to deal with and just plain unfair

by: happyharry This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 31 22:04:14 2012

My plan for 2013 is to get off selling on the internet, I am sick of jumping thro some idiot’s idea of how to be a good seller hoops…

ebay are so anti seller now that it makes you wonder why they are in business (sorry I forgot its all about Paypal now)

I have never felt so much stress and anger as this past 18 months and I’ve come to the conclusion it’s just not worth it; dealing with ebays demented CS is just like pulling your own teeth out (amazon is not much better), more and more people are ripping off sellers, fees are constantly raising and the attitude of people is we want it now for nothing?...and we pay to be treated like  this!!!!

On a side note it is so difficult to get reliable staff and when you do they want the Earth..also I am totally sick of dealing with ridiculously long delivery times by the post office, I could walk there faster.International mail is insane, I can travel 10,000 miles in 2 days yet a small packet will take up to a month?!!

after 15+ years of internet trading…I cant wait for a new direction.

Sorry about the moan this has been building up for months ….Have a Great New Year, I know I will

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 1 16:43:06 2013

Yes it looks like everyone wants to sell off stuff they don't need.

We all seem to think that someone else wants the stuff we don't need!

Like books.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jan 1 19:15:10 2013

One way I intend to reduce costs is to eliminate insurance on items below a certain amount.

I've had ZERO USPS domestic claims in the last eight years and two 3p insurance claims using IFCM.

This year as an experiment, I self insured all international sales below $100. ZERO losses this year on both uninsured and 3p privately insured shipments.

While this isn't a viable option for some sellers, if you're selective about the countries you ship to and/or have trusted repeat customer base this model should work for many sellers.

In far too many cases, shippers and insurers have raised the insurance rates to far more than it costs to ship the item.

Insurance is a real money maker for them, and we're paying far, far too much in relation to the actual losses these greedy insurance agencies charge in order to over maximize profits.

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 1 23:19:45 2013

GREAT advice Ming!

I had been thinking about this before the holidays, but now that they have passed I too am going to self insure most items under $100. I have spent far too much money on insurance, only to be told that I have to wait 45 days to have the buyer sign the insurance form and then the buyer gets annoyed and either opens a claim or leaves a neutral.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 1 23:52:14 2013

Good advice Ming. I've only had to open 3 claims in over 10K sales so would most likely be a good option for me as well.

One resolution for me is spending less time here. I read and see too much about ebay which has no ecffect on me as I no longer sell there and don't intend to again. I would love to see this site focus more on other venues but it seems some think ebay is the only one and I have to much to do to listen to whines about stupid ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Jan 2 00:33:47 2013

@moonwishes

Yes, you are right but ebay IS the most troublesome site and the biggest headache to sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Wed Jan 2 01:07:37 2013

I echo other sellers in my plans for the New Year. I want to finish building my inventory management system so I can start focusing on my own web site and cut down how much time I have to spend listing on other sites like eBay. The more stuff I can simplify and automate, the better. I should probably spend less time commenting on blogs, too. I don't do that much of it, but it's time I should spend in more productive ways.

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 2 06:18:43 2013

I plan on staying off ebay at least the next 6 months continue adding to my junkables stores. and when the ebay bottom feeders come into my both at the shows tell them to their faces to F off hahaha

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jan 2 08:37:55 2013

Continue to build sites off-eBay.

And pray every day that JD will leave and that eBay will get a "seller friendly" CEO.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 2 15:20:03 2013

My goal is to leave ebay and get a job.
Mass Howler