Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Nov 27 2012 21:52:12

eBay Confirms Completed Item Glitch

Earlier this month, a seller reported in a Letter to the Editor that eBay changed the way users accessed Completed Items. "At first, it appeared that they had disappeared. They have been moved under the "Choose More" link under the "Show Only" header on the left side of the screen. Once completed listings are chosen, the way to go back to active listings isn't the obvious links that used to be on the top of the page. Instead, you have to hit the "Clear" link underneath the "Show Only" header."

This week, eBay sellers used the Ecommerce EKG systems board to report they were unable to access Completed Items. One reader who reported the problem emailed, "Has anyone else noticed that the link to get to Completed Items does not seem to be working? I'm seeing this on both eBay.com and eBay Motors (Parts & Accessories). When on a Seller's Other Items page, I click the link at the left under Buying Formats, which should open a box to checkmark options, one of which is Completed Items. The link to get to that box now does nothing."

The reader wondered if it was "a glitch (not planned), a glitch (planned) or a policy change by eBay."

eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore confirmed today it's a glitch and said eBay was currently working to fix. "In the meantime, one can access 'completed listings' by clicking the 'Advanced' link near the Search Box when on the Seller's Items page."

However, eBay sellers on the discussion boards said eBay is not updating Completed Listing data. " When I do a search..the only items that appear start at 12 hours or longer ago. Sellers also vented their frustration about Completed Item changes on this eBay board.

Sellers reported similar problems last November. At the time, eBay spokesperson Johnna Hoff said eBay had rolled out the holiday update to eBay.com and recommended clearing their cache and cookies, closing and reopening their browser, and reloading the page - which seemed to work.

Let us know if you're able to access Completed Items and if it works for you.

Perminate Link for eBay Confirms Completed Item Glitch   eBay Confirms Completed Item Glitch

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Nov 27 23:48:26 2012

Why does it seem that eBay admits there's a glitch only after it is reported on this site?

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 28 00:31:59 2012

A glitch on eBay? Business as usual.

by: walrus2646 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 28 08:56:54 2012

eBay has not worked correctly for many years.

by: used2luv2sell This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 28 10:20:10 2012

I called Ebay regarding this ''glitch'' over the weekend.  In fact, I wasn't happy with their response and called back again to speak to another ''CS'' rep.  Both parroted my problem back to me, so I KNOW FOR SURE they understood my issue.  (wink wink)
One day the links were at the top of my page, then they disappeared, only to be found under the show only, which takes 3 more clicks and my TIME, then to change it back again.  Thanks for the tip on clear, I didn't know that!
Also, I went to work on Monday & decided to see if the completed link was different from that computer, and lo and behold, the completed listings link was right at the top of the page & I had a little party in my head.  Two minutes later, it was hidden again!
Just keeping us on our toes.
My visibility from West Coast has apparently been in Louisiana this week - never did much business there before!  LOL

by: Duke This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 28 12:30:09 2012

I've noticed that items aren't immediatly appearing in the completed listings.  Instead, they're taking hours to do so.  Although, if I have the item saved in my Watch List, I can access it anytime.  It's made it hard tracking auctions for items I'm preparing to sell.

by: edwatt This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 28 15:33:43 2012

This season its one glitch after another after another.  But not to worry, ebay is "working on it"  I am still waiting for them to fix the picture problem in products with variations.
Anybody try clicking on the link that tells you you have an item with an unanswered question?  Past few months I do not get the recent question, I get some old question that I answered weeks or even months ago.
I regret that ebay id slowly and painfully self destructing before my eyes.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Nov 28 16:37:09 2012

This is an example of planned obsolescence the eBay way.

eBay constantly retires features claiming insufficient usage.

First, eBay reduced the functionality of the Completed Listing Search feature by reducing the look back window from 30 days rendering the feature almost useless to sellers.

Now it would appear their plan is to put the Completed Listings feature into glitch mode so that it can not be accessed and does not work. Then they will take their damn sweet time repairing the issue.

A few months down the road, eBay will retire the feature with no announcement of course and claim that the feature was not utilized enough so it was removed.

My guess is that Completed listing search is another feature like Wild Cards that causes problems with the new Cassini search engine such as demanding more server utilization to execute the search. eBay wants Cassini to utilize fewer resources, so gutting functionality is being done to assure they can accomplish the resource reduction goal.

by: tc This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 28 18:18:50 2012

Why does Ebay always call them "glitches"? Programming errors and data corruption are FAR FAR more serious than mere "glitches". Imagine this happening to your business... Mr. CEO, we have uncovered a minor "glitch" in our account departments systems. Nothing serious and definitely nothing to be worries about. All it seems to be doing is rounding down all the accounts receivables to $0. We may get around to it next month if we have time.

by: Plant This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 28 19:44:41 2012

I don't think this is a glitch or an error in programming. I think it a purposeful, eased in there over time so as not to be so noticeable, way to create more profit.

I'm prepared to eat my words on this if someone can prove me wrong, or even convince me my way of thinking is off.
And I do understand it mat sound silly to some but, after watching Ebays ways for years, I can conclude nothing else. I copy my post from Seller Central on Ebay:

Your right, their handling of the option makes it clear to me it ain't no glitch. I know close to nothing of HTML but I think after just a few hours, even I could have the completeds back where it was. I believe Mr Moore is lying through his teeth and I admire the restraint Ina has to stop where she does without offering opinion, lol. I could never do her job.

Anyway because of that and what I already figured, I'm convinced now, more than ever, the completeds are being hidden on purpose in order to manipulate. And since Ebay's purpose for every move they make is to get more money, I'd guess the absence of the feature causes the inability to compare prices, and in turn causing some to pay more and that equates to more profit for Ebay, especially right around this time of year.

Now, I realize there are other ways to comparison shop but with the rush of the holidays coming on, newbs buying here, the frustration of not being able to find what some knew was their before, people being in a hurry to buy or whatever, it can make a big difference in the end.

Another thing, If I'm not mistaken they eased into this, just like Ebay does with all their dirty deeds so people notice less. First they moved it from clear view and hid it in the same area but made it so it had to be found and selected. Then they moved it from that area completely and put it under Advanced.

They even threw it right there on top where it could be seen easier than ever for a few days. I actually thought they were trying to make an improvement and that they had. Maybe they were experimenting the affects on profit from plain view to hidden, who knows?

There are just entirely to many suspicious factors here for me to believe this is a glitch.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 28 19:54:58 2012

As usual- NOTHING ON THE SYSTEMS ANNOUNCEMENT BOARD!
Ina, please ask them WHY???
Mass Howler
If it wasn't for INA ebain would STILL be saying ''we've never heard of that''.
ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by: Plant This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 28 20:14:43 2012

I'd like to add a word to Ebay here, if I may. For once, put others before yourself and put this helpful feature back in plain view.

I have to wonder if Ebay has any idea what the season is about?

by: fortunately This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 28 20:33:14 2012

Having to click "Choose more" to access completed items has been active for almost a week. I find this extremely frustrating and have 2 browser screens open for closed and active for Ebay rather than constantly accessing the advanced bottnm. Unless I am fortunate to have the screen sporadically appear that seems destined to be the NEW search with "sold/completed/active. And it does not even contain the link for checking title and description, which I suggested twice after they solicited feedback over the past several weeks.

Between the secret invitations to listing special like they are the Mafia "having to keep things hidden", and the crappy searches where leaving out "a" or "the" affect listing visibility, Ebay has done more to damage holiday sales than invite spending. I guess they didn't hear about the article not to make major change to your website during the holiday season.

by: Plant This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 28 21:10:02 2012

Just for the record, Ebay just banned about a half dozen of my ID's from posting without so much as an Email of explanation from them.

I'd guess it was for the post I copied here from the Seller Central Board on Ebay and others like it.

So, I'd like to thank Ebay for the verification that I must be doing something right. :)

Truth hurts.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Nov 28 22:18:49 2012

Ebay is the ONLY site where there is constant changes to usability for both sellers and buyers during the holiday season, and not for the better.

My guess is ebay is making the completed and sold difficult to find since the sell thru is so pathetic. Ebay has no one to blame for this except themselves. Hiding sellers visibility, all their DSR feedback game playing, rolling blackouts, forced returns, constant manipulations and the list goes on.

By ebay trying to make money, they lost even more money (if that makes sense). Of course the ONLY thing JD cares about is the stock and it has gone up. So as is par for the course the rich get richer and the rest of us have to suffer at the expense of their greed.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Nov 29 15:24:54 2012

Glitch, snitch.

Information is power.

The ebafia philosophy is that the less accurate information we troublemaking outsiders have, the better.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Fri Nov 30 14:35:22 2012

Sounds to me like ebay developers lack skills in handling "big data" and in scaling their code for greater use. It can be a difficult thing, but for a company of this size, it doesn't inspire confidence that they can't get a handle on things. I can sympathize a tiny bit because there actually is a crunch in  hiring experienced developer talent right now. I've got recruiters calling me every day and they're even starting to offer large percentage pay rate increases and "bounties" for qualified referrals because they can't find enough people with the needed skills to fill all the available jobs. It's probably one of the few job market sectors that's actually doing well right now. But again, a company of ebay's size should be doing a better job of it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Sandymenu

Sat Dec 1 17:06:22 2012

Ina, you should write a story about eBay permitting international members to register in USA from their out of country ISP disrupting seller auctions once it comes time to pay for an item from sellers that preference their listings for United States of America members only.

Glitch? Don't think so!

This user has validated their user name. by: eBankrupted

Wed Dec 5 04:05:53 2012

The mere possibility the SEC & FTC have bots that might inhale real-time sales data to prove GMV manipulation might cause paid developer(s) to switch back and forth from one model to avoid a major data mining event(s) ?

With traditional sellers starving for sales; it's just a matter of time before an app makes ebay GMV public, so the Feds can data-mine audit the fishy quarterly GMV reports that fool the SEC regulators' calculators ?

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 6 02:05:38 2012

Ebay monitors where we go, unfortunately we the noise ''agreed'' to this at the beginning, although certainly not for the purpose of ebay spying on us (and limiting our exposure for visiting or posting to these boards).
I like to remind folks to CLEAR YOUR COOKIES after leaving ebay and coming to auctionbytes or sites like rateebay as ebay monitors your cookies and limits your exposure and sales.
I have also fould that it is also advantagous to exposure not to hit any links here that take you back to ebay as your sales will instantly drop.
I kid you not and it has been this way for 3-4 years.
Mass Howler
Big Brother IS watching you.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 6 02:12:08 2012

Just ?WHERE? is the NON-GLITCH part of ebay as it is ALL GLITCHES now?

Reminds me of an big old wooden moteryacht I had the displeasure of owning- carpenter stood on the deck and said this deck is SOFT- feels like a bunch of TERMITES holding hands under there- That is just like JD's ebay.
Mass Howler