Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Nov 7 2012 09:12:05

eBay Leaves Sellers Hanging with No Access to Analytics

eBay is leaving sellers high and dry with no way to measure traffic during the all-important holiday shopping season. But it's good to know that visitors to the campus are greeted with brand new signs showing the company's redesigned logos.

It's been three months since eBay Traffic Reports stopped working, and the marketplace has not provided an update since this September 27th announcement post. eBay's Listing Analytics tool has also been broken since at least mid-September, and now comes word that InkFrog has pulled its Sellebrity analytics tool from the eBay Open Platform and is providing a traffic tool on its own platform.

It's enough to make even the most innocent-minded a little suspicious.

In looking back at the initial EcommereBytes story about reports of a decline in traffic in August that said it was unclear whether there really was a drop in traffic, or if it was a glitch with the traffic reports themselves, I find it remarkable that eBay hadn't proactively informed sellers that the traffic reports were broken (did eBay even know?).

eBay continues to prove it is out of touch with its sellers and developers - and even its own infrastructure.

Holiday shopping is here, and eBay sellers have no way to measure the effectiveness of their seasonal promotions.

Either eBay doesn't want anyone to have access to traffic data, or its technology team appears grossly incompetent. Is there a another option?

Perminate Link for eBay Leaves Sellers Hanging with No Access to Analytics   eBay Leaves Sellers Hanging with No Access to Analytics

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Nov 7 09:37:15 2012

In my opinion, Ebay do not want traffic measured, because it will show the world the truth about how all of the changes and "disruptive innovation" have killed the marketplace.

Got to keep those Wall Street analysts in the dark and drinking eBay's Kool Aid.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 09:40:24 2012

If you cant analyze the traffic, you wont be able to prove what eBay is doing to you.

If you cant prove that they are screwing you then you cant sue them.

If you cant sue them (especially with the new anti class action issue) then ebay is safe!

You didnt think the anticlass action issue cropping up at this point in time was a mere coincidence did you?

eBay can and will screw you - and they've said so 100000 times. The interview with the idiot in eBay software admited to it in plain english - THEY change the search so you cant be found.

That statement though is not enough in court - but coupled with reams analytical data and eBay would be busted.

Ebay isnt your friend, they arent your business partners, they arent the guys in the white hats - they are simply crooks playing ''the numbers'' (just like the mafia) only here its behind the facade of an online sales company.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Wed Nov 7 09:44:09 2012

@Is there a another option?

The other option is that the traffic reports are not broken, and are reporting the data accurately.

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 09:46:35 2012

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the traffic reports. Effectively since august-septembre my traffic reports show a steep decrease in traffic and that is the moment my sales took a nosedive.

I'm used having a calm month in Octobre. Now it's the third month in a row where sales are 50% of what it used to be. As a result there has been an absolute price clash. I now not only have a lack of sales. The only way to make a sale is lower prices to a lever where there is no profit left.

Just before the summer I had a business that generated enough money to make a living from it. Now the only message I receive from Ebay is that my listing has ended without a sale.

Where at the run up to the Christmas season but I don't see any improvements whatsoever. Normally this time of year I start to buy a lot of stock. Now the last month I have hardly bought anything. And the way things continue I won't buy a lot of other stuff the weeks to come.

All even be glad as in Decembre I just have a normal month of sale. Certainly don't expect a big rush.

This seems a global Ebay issue. Ebay doesn't have any advantage in it if its sellers can't sell. I more and more start to believe there is a big problem that even Ebay doesn't know how to control.

I get even more suspiicious because I don't read any comparable issues about sales that have gone dead on Amazon.

I've pulled a whole buch of listing from Ebay. Today I've been busy making new listings. They are online but not on Ebay. If things continue the way they are I'll be force to close my shop after new year. A thriving business just a few months ago, today sales are so low it hardly covers for all the fees.

If Ebay looses me as a sellers, they also loose me as a buyer. I'm one of the so many business that buys on 1 Ebaysite to sell on another Ebaysite. That are again a few 1000 sales less a year.

I no not blame Ebay for 100%. I do know we are in a difficult economical climat. My website sales have also considerably decreased. But I see an increase in traffic, in fact the highest traffic ever yesterday. At the same time on Ebay when I have 50% of the traffic from 1 year ago it's a good day. Lot's of days with only 1/3th of the traffic and hardly any sales.

So are the traffic reports broken? No they aren't. They show exactly what's the problem: no traffic whatsoever on Ebay unless you're one of the lucky bastards that's "blessed" by Ebay. My number of feedbacks is less than 50% of what they used to be, and I see exactly the same thing with most of my competitors and the same in other categories.

Houston, on Ebay we have a big problem...

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 10:09:38 2012

Typical of the experience of being an Inkfrog customer.

by: JoJo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 10:12:11 2012

Either way, that is pretty pathetic.  It's not like traffic to a site is all that hard to track.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 11:05:21 2012

Perhaps Ebay doesn't want sellers to formally know what they already know....traffic has fallen off on Ebay!

by: pennyrub This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 11:16:16 2012

Same here, sales plummeted approx. 50% beginning in August, so did the stats. Stats aren't broken, something with Ebay is...
I've got one foot in Amazon now.

by: IsItJustMeOr... This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 11:24:36 2012

Ina, I must congratulate you on your first paragraph above. This whole situation is obviously not funny, but I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read it. A little light relief during another day of waiting for sales.

Your ''signs'' comment really puts everything in perspective for us smaller sellers right now. In the history of corporate actions that are equivalent to ''rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic'' this one by eBay takes the cake.

I guess you'll be crossed off eBay's Christmas card list this year? I've sensed a little increase in tension between you and eBay in the past few months. Maybe it's time for counseling...

Whatever happens, please, please, don't stop reporting on eBay's multitude of shortcomings. Without eCommercebytes reporting, these issues would not be published to a wide audience. As we all know, if the issues are not reported upon, well, then they simply don't exist...

MeOr

by: Brainiac jones This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 11:29:08 2012

We are fortunate that sales continue to 'hold' at a place where things remain profitable. I am not so blind, though, that I can't see how eBay is screwing with their sellers.

by: Red Ink Diary This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 11:32:48 2012

@gutspiller

I left eBay in 2008 and have not been back, as a buyer or seller so I really can not comment on your traffic issues. I used to spend easily $1K a month, every month, on eBay in fees and purchases. Their loss (which I am sure they didn't notice) but in retrospect my gain. When your evening entertainment is to browse somewhere like eBay used to be you always find something you simply have to have, never mind if you need it or not. I have lost the aquisition habit.

Yes my business shrunk, but we are now debt free except for the small mortgage on our primary residence.

However, the feedback thing: I have seen that buyers who are satisfied are simply not bothering with feedback on Amazon or Bonanza. I think the whole 'feedback on eBay' debacle has led to a perception from buyers that the only value in feedback is as a threat to wring concessions from sellers.  Those who are happy don't need that tool, so why bother.

This user has validated their user name. by: Island_Sam

Wed Nov 7 11:35:37 2012

Here's another option: MORE BUYERS THAN SELLERS. Perhaps ebay has hit its saturation point on most of its listing categories.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 12:24:57 2012

MY SALES ON EBAY - SAME ITEMS - DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT - ONE WEEK TO NEXT.  NOTHING CONSISTENT WITH EBAY. ON AMAZON, SALES HAVE ALSO DECLINED. THAT COULD BE A RESULT IN MORE COMPETITION-MEANS LOWER PRICES.  SHUT DOWN BONANZA. NO SALES - NONE.  SAME ITEMS AS OTHER SITES. SO WHY BOTHER.  SOME SALES ON ETSY.  STARTED ON ATOMIC MALL - MAYBE 2 YEARS AGO, SALE THE FIRST COUPLE OF DAYS. THOUGHT GREAT.  THAT WAS THE ONLY SALE IN THE 2 YEAR PERIOD.
TRAFFIC REPORTS NOT BROKEN- HOW CAN YOU FIX SOMETHING WITH NO TRAFFIC ???  EBAY DOES NOT WANT THAT INFO MADE PUBLIC AS TO THE DROP IN TRAFFIC. WE ARE NOT TALKING 1 OR 2%.. MAJOR DROP IN TRAFFIC, SALES.  IF IT WAS PUBLIC - STOCK WOULD TAKE A DIVE - POSSIBLY INITIATE AN INVESTIGATION?????

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Nov 7 12:26:28 2012

It is interesting how far eBay is willing to go to conceal facts from their fee paying sellers as they prepare to implement Cassini.

Traffic reports deliberately broken, wild card searches discontinued, the ability to participate in Class Action Law Suits denied by a change to the user agreement...

All these changes made to accommodate and defend a new search engine which eBay admits will intentionally limit buyer choices. By deliberately obfuscating seller listings, eBay will be the gatekeeper who determines which listings are seen and which listings never see the light of day.

The next question is what new revenue shifting actions will eBay take when Cassini is fully implemented to artificially inflate their GMV in order to conceal what will be a significant decline in sales?

by: trickstunt This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 12:37:31 2012

There's nothing wrong with ebay traffic. Those are all just coincidences, the supposed drop in traffic, unannounced Cassini beta tests, the arbitration clauses. Eveything is peachy-keeno at ebay, never been better

Maybe the question should be what are ebay sellers doing to drive traffic to their listings?

Have you purchased all the template enhancements? Do you offer free same day delivery and a triple your money back guarantee? Those are the industry standards.

Maybe you're just not giving it your all? Failed sellers are always looking to blame others for their issues. It's sad that ebay has become the favored scapegoat of a few disgruntles and conspiracy theorists.

How can you even be coincerned with silly things like traffic and profits at a time like this? Relax, ebay has your back.

You should all "pay it forward" by dying your hair in the 4 ebay colors to become a walking talking ebay advertising billboard. Bring back the magic.

Haven't you noticed that mesmerizing shade of blue in the new corporate logo? Stare at it for a while and remember how much you love ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Mercy the Mingless

Wed Nov 7 12:50:23 2012

In May 2008, Scot Wingo interviewed eBay CEO and former Bain executive John Donahoe for Wingo's blog ''Ebay Strategies''

Wingo - ''What are you doing to accelerate eBay?''

Donahoe - ''We are driving more changes than ever. There are no silver bullets, we're testing in different geos, when we find things that work, we'll do more of them and less of the ones that don't.''

Donahoe is delusional.  There is no other explanation.

by: thediamondguy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 13:07:57 2012

Picture the sellers as a little child running out into the middle of the street, eBay is the adult that sees us doing it, yet they just stand there watching us as a truck is heading down the street ready to run us over. The look, they see, but they don't really care. Spat.... we get ran over... ebay looks around...and says "oops i didn't see you sorry about that"

I used to work for eBay until 2010, you think its horrible selling on eBay? Try working for eBay its even more of a night-mere. To be completely honest with everyone, as an ex employee of eBay its nothing more then a bunch of mid 20's half wits and a bunch of other employees having a mid life crisis because they cannot make it to the top fast enough, this in return is bad for business which is clearly showing through the way things are being handled with the sellers and the selling platform in general.

eBay is simply very poorly managed and ran from inside out.

No complaints is going to change this till the place gets flushed out and cleaned.

END OF STORY.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Nov 7 13:38:40 2012

Trickstunt, what in the h*ll do you think we are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in fees to eBay for?  Like Donahoe, are YOU delusional?  I hope that you were being sarcastic, but if not, good grief!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Doc

Wed Nov 7 13:55:58 2012

eBay will fight to the death silencing negative pr.

With that being said, i hope they do not launch a DdoS attack against this website like I'm certain they did to my ebaymotorssucks.com in July 2011.

Lets face it, there is eBay death-star motivation to disabling traffic stats, especially with the big holiday season selling getting underway.

It's obvious they have screwed the pooch big time!

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Wed Nov 7 14:05:30 2012

@Rexford: I do believe trickstunt is being sarcastic. He made me chuckle, for sure.

FYI, if you have access to a web server and its log files, you can track your own traffic by putting an image in your listing and grabbing all the entries in the access and referer log files. You can find software out there that will analyze these logs and give you basic numbers on unique visitors and number of views. If the server tracks referers in its log, that tells you from which location the visitor is coming (google, bing, etc...)

I realize that most people use other hosting services for their images, but these may be able to offer you this info, I think. It's worth looking into, anyway, if these other traffic reports continue to disappear.