Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Nov 1 2012 00:21:04

Craigslist versus Facebook: Which Would You Use to Sell?

The Daily reports that Facebook is testing a service that lets users create classified ads that would appear in friends' news feeds. The blog optimistically says the new service "might make Craigslist a thing of the past," but there are some key differences between what's being called the new Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

First off is the cost. It's free to list household items for sale on Craigslist, while Facebook will charge a "nominal" fee - less than $5. (Come again? Even less than one dollar isn't exactly nominal by online listing-fee standards, never mind online classified ads.)

The second difference is reach. Craigslist ads can be found by all browsers in the seller's region, while Facebook Marketplace appears to be limited to the sellers' friends, who might not even be located nearby.

The Daily explains more and says the Facebook ads are very targeted, "allowing users to locate anything from roommates to jobs by taking advantage of Facebook's vast network" - the opposite of Craigslist, it explains.

"The move is a shrewd one, at least for the Web, and is proof that Facebook's future probably isn't just about corporate sponsorship," the Daily wrote.

Facebook first introduced its Marketplace application in early May 2007 as a way for Facebook users to post listings across categories such as "Furniture" and "Roommates." To further expand the functionality and breadth of the application, Facebook selected Oodle to build and power the new marketplace because of its experience with online classifieds and building sites for large partners, and Facebook Marketplace powered by Oodle launched in 2009. (Earlier this year, Julia asked "Why Aren't More People Using Facebook Marketplace?" in an AuctionBytes Blog post.)

What would you think if classifieds listings from your Facebook friends (and friends of friends?) started showing up in your Facebook news feed?

And what do you think of paying for classifieds on Facebook versus listing items on Craigslist for free?

Perminate Link for Craigslist versus Facebook: Which Would You Use to Sell?   Craigslist versus Facebook: Which Would You Use to Sell?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Nov 1 01:44:40 2012

Facebook? What is this thing called Facebook? ...

by: Grandma_Fish This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 1 02:31:02 2012

I belong to quite a few seller groups on Facebook and also follow several doll artists there. I've developed some long-distance acquaintances on Facebook. Being an elder caregiver within a community that doesn't have many people with the same interests I do doesn't afford me much opportunity to network. So Facebook is one of the ways I keep in contact with the outside world and keep from going stir-crazy while assisting a cousin with dementia and a parent who has chronic health issues. And that's ultimately what Facebook is all about, people connecting with other people.

That being said, I don't think I'd want to see ads from my friends in my news feed. Seeing ads in the right-hand margin is bad enough, but those I can pretty much ignore and I can understand that Facebook needs to generate revenue. I think having a central location on Facebook, like a classified section, would be okay. But not in my news feed. And I wouldn't pay $5 per ad to advertise, not when I can advertise for free on Craigslist and Yardsellr.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Thu Nov 1 06:34:06 2012

Facebook took my money and my ad did not appear.

Maybe they are like eBa'al and YOU won't get your money stolen from YOU.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 1 06:52:41 2012

eBay wants to be Amazon and now Facebook wants to be Craigslist. The Peter Principle is true.

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 1 07:05:37 2012

I think it would be a great place for all those sellers on Ebay who keep saying that they are leaving for greener pastures.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Thu Nov 1 08:39:01 2012

This is, what, the 2nd or 3rd attempt to make Facebook into a marketplace?  Product ads, business pages, yardsellr, feeds from bonanza, etsy, posted on timelines.

It_ doesn't_work.

It doesn't work because it is a social media place and not a garage sale.  I check in to see how my cousin in NY is doing - not to see someones nasty old couch that I don't need, wasn't looking for, and don't even like.

Now - that said, if they were to make a page for a local virtual yard sale (kind of like groups) and post all their crap in there, along with everybody elses crap, from the same area - that might make sense.  And I wouldn't be forced to look at it unless I wanted to.

And $5.00 is waaaaayyyy too much for one item.  For that, they should get a 'booth'.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Nov 1 08:46:58 2012

To use Facebook to network on a topic of interest in the way Grandma Fish describes is probably ideal & a good way to get something positive out of it. I would NOT respond favorably to ''friends'' trying to sell me things. But that is just me.  I prefer Twitter & Pinterest over Facebook.

I joined it and use it to follow a certain aircraft carrier that is deployed. That and a local Basset Hound rescue are the only things on my newsfeed. Nothing is really expected of me other than an occasional ''like''.  I doubt I would ever go to Facebook to buy stuff or sell.

We have used Craigslist to sell a few items over the years. I like its format & simplicity. The key is to keep safety in mind if you meet up with a buyer or seller.

My former boss' husband sold quite a bit on Craigslist - he said the key is in relisting often. With the right items, I would be more inclined to sell there. Nothing social about (most) of Craigslist - just straightforward selling.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nolle

Thu Nov 1 11:05:59 2012

If I just wanted to sell to my "friends", I'd send them an email.

What a LAME idea.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Nov 1 12:16:29 2012

For $5 I'd want my item to show up on everyone's page over the entirety of Facebook.

I agree with what Nan said. People are on Facebook to keep up with their friends, or interests, not look at people's old stuff. This sounds like Facebook is trying to get money to offset their share prices tanking.

This user has validated their user name. by: Spartacus

Thu Nov 1 12:58:27 2012

Facebook are desperate to show any possible monetization scheme to investors to keep their stock from falling further into the abyss.

Maybe Mark Suckerberg should reach out to John Donahoe, or better yet, hire Bain to help him squeeze every last dime from Facebook users.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Nov 1 14:47:13 2012

And if “Suckerberg” can't obtain any Bain advice from the ever more desperate “Ho” then the services of another ex Bain sociopath will be available shortly ... apparently, Mittless is looking for another "business" to which he can apply his Bain skills (how about Mandarin speaking CS) … LOL

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 1 15:04:07 2012

I sold a window air conditioner on craigs list once.  It went okay but I had to make sure my son was home when the buyer came.  I much rather sell thru the mail then in person.  Right now a group of us artists and artisans have a public page full of gift items on Facebook - you can visit it to see what we did:

a
nd
you can buy direct from the artist.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 1 15:49:14 2012

@Patricia

Great Facebook page! Great idea!

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 1 18:22:53 2012

@Ebay Slow Death - thanks - just one of the ways people are thinking up to try to sell their wares.

by: RAOTFLMAO This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 2 00:05:50 2012

I will continue to sell on Craigslist.  If my "friends" start showing me old worn out couches like the one show above I will hit the "Unfriend" button.
I have a face book page but it is to spy on my competitors, not tell the world that my cat is in the yard burying kitty treasures!!!

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 2 00:17:24 2012

Thousands If not millions of dollars are already changing hands among many fb users. Without paying anything with a trend that a friend showed me. My only problem with it is you have to be very social to get the followers,and then start offering stuff for sale. I don't have the time  to build the social network.

by: Just My Humble View This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 2 00:24:49 2012

I use Facebook daily. This is how I get news regarding extended family and friends scattered across the country who I rarely get to see in person.

Recently a few of those people became 'consultants' for one of those in-home custom jewelry businesses. My news feed has become so full of posts to sell this product, that although the product is interesting and could make a very personal gift ... I'm so annoyed by being bombarded with these posts that I wouldn't buy one on a bet.

Marketing backfire.

by: nobody This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 2 00:48:26 2012

Craigslist. No question.

facebook has messed up facebook to the point of being a royal disaster.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Nov 2 00:59:12 2012

I am on Facebook but to only keep up with my extended family and my sons. I also follow the Enterprise since my youngest son is deployed on his second and final tour with it and is almost back home. I would never sell on it and if I have something that is too big to ship I sell it on Craigslist. I hardly post on Facebook but I have found many old friends.
Personally I think that Facebook has gotten about as much money that it can from adds and that will be all they will probably get.

Bill

by: JoyfulA This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 2 01:50:24 2012

If people want to sell something on Facebook to their friends, why would they buy a $5 ad instead of just putting it in their newsfeed free?

I left Facebook about 2 years ago, and I've sold various stuff on Craigslist.