Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Oct 10 2012 12:11:18

The New eBay Launches - What Do Sellers Think?

As startups like Pinterest gain ground in influencing shoppers and driving retail sales, established marketplaces like eBay find themselves reacting to keep up with the latest shopping trends. Today, eBay launched a new homepage that users can personalize to their liking that looks a lot like Pinterest.

The new homepage features a visual palette of items, similar to Pinterest and other curation sites, especially fashion sites. Users can choose what types of items to follow.

eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore told EcommerceBytes, "The feed is a new and personal way to curate your own shopping experience and discover items perfect for you, offering a curated selection of favorite things on the eBay homepage." Users can opt in at eBay.com/feed in the U.S. starting today, October 10, with international sites to follow.

The new homepage also features eBay's redesigned logo and a larger search box. Hovering over the short-list of categories in the left column brings up a new design of options. Moore said other enhancements include streamlined navigation, new View Item pages "designed to deliver more intuitive, convenient ways to browse and buy."

The new View Item page features a section called "People who bought this item also bought" that showcases items from competing sellers. For example, this listing for a "Maternity Baby Skeleton Love Halloween Costume Funny Large LG L Black T-Shirt" includes 10 other Tshirts, including one from another seller with an identical design, "Pregnant Skeleton Halloween Costume LONG SLEEVE T-Shirt Maternity Baby WZS-05" (Item #130773621157).

Readers of EcommerceBytes will not be surprised at some of the new features, such as the larger search box on the homepage, as eBay has been testing new designs since May.

Let us know what you think of the new design and features - will this draw more holiday shoppers?

Update: See today's EcommerceBytes news story for other features launched today including 2-click checkout and the ability for sellers to link to Facebook in their profiles.

Perminate Link for The New eBay Launches - What Do Sellers Think?   The New eBay Launches - What Do Sellers Think?

by: alixibloun This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 12:16:00 2012

I love it! Loved it more by its original name - Pinterest.

by: thediamondguy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 12:25:40 2012

Actully, this is the first change in a long time that i have actually liked.

This user has validated their user name. by: eBankrupted

Wed Oct 10 12:42:54 2012

eBayzon™ spoon-feeding the dummy-somethings.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 12:54:38 2012

Don't do things the ebay way. If your car isn't running, go to a Mechanic, not a Paint & Body Shop.

by: ToniMarie2448 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 12:59:11 2012

Interesting Pinterest article.  Have you heard of the 'social selling' trend?

I found this site and love to sell on it - it's sort of like an 'Ebay/Etsy of Pinterest'.  It's called SellPin.

http://www.SellPin.com  - no listing fees and your item stays up/pinned on Pinterest until it sells.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Wed Oct 10 13:01:37 2012

I've played with it. At least now it shows things I'm interested in as opposed to things I have no interest in whatsoever.

Truth be told, I'm seldom on this page at all. I suppose it could be something I pull up to mindlessly scroll through when I am on the phone or on hold (with eBay or other CS?)

You could get artistic & have fun with it like a Bonanza Home page. Do all cats, all dogs, all naughty, all green, all 1958, etc.... Maybe they should have a contest. After they make sure there are no ''glitches'', of course.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Oct 10 13:41:59 2012

eBay keeps trying to find new ways to push items in front of buyers faces.

When I search for something I either buy it, watch list it, or lose interest. I do not need reminders from eBay of what I have looked at in the past as it is not necessarily relevant to why I might be on eBay today or a week from now.

I do not need eBay's margin insertions of "popular products" not do I care to have eBay display recently viewed items in the margins either.

I do not want or need eBay collecting and retaining data on what I have looked at only to use that data to market more stuff to me.

Data collection is the reason I do not save searches or sellers on eBay. Instead I bookmark them in my browser for faster access and to prevent eBay from deluging me with their annoying marketing emails.

Fortunately, with everything in my browser, I never end up on eBay's homepage, and can utilize the add on to block eBay advertising and scripts from displaying eBay's desperate marketing attempts in Firefox.

I am sure Wall Street analysts will be mesmerized by the new feature and will fail to ask the more important question...Is the feature contributing to a genuine increase in paid transactions or is it simply more window dressing that does nothing to benefit sales.

by: LadyElizabeth This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 13:51:12 2012

Instead of fixing all the annoying and counterproductive issues on the website, eBay has, once again, wasted time doing something that didn't need to be done.

by: Duke This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 13:54:01 2012

I've been seeing the new view item pages for almost a month now.  One interesting thing is that the seller's name has been moved farther down the page and that the store logo no longer shows up next to the seller's name at the top of the page.  It seems like another step in eBay removing seller's branding and identity.

by: Quality First This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 14:03:01 2012

The new checkout is fantastic!  Easy to pick funding options, quick and (so far) well executed.  Did eBay contract this project out?

If not, it proves they can do something right if they want to.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Oct 10 14:05:44 2012

I agree with Ric. eBay gave me options of following items that were a one-time purchase, and items I no longer have any interest in. I don't need to be reminded of items I wish I hadn't purchased in the first place. I also agree that the programmers' time could have been better spent in fixing the issues that sellers are constantly complaining of on these blogs.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Oct 10 14:07:14 2012

It looks interesting. But I wonder...

-- What's the catch?
-- When does the other shoe drop?
-- How is this going to screw-over sellers?
-- How much is it gonna cost?

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 14:22:21 2012

Personally I find the "people who bought this" recommendations to be useless, uninteresting and a waste of space. Amazon and Sears both do it and I ignore it. I want what I want and know how to look for it - stop trying to control me....

by: edwatt This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 14:34:54 2012

It too me about 15 minutes to figure out how to sign off and go to another ebay store.  You need to click on your name. They hid the sign off link under your name but it does not show like before, its hidden.

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 14:46:38 2012

These social shopping sites like Pinterest and Wanelo must be taking off in the eyes of ebay and Facebook.

They have both implemented their versions of it.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 15:09:22 2012

I suppose that when the thousands of programers who spend thier time making sure the ''beloved'' get all the server time were bored, they simply copied the Amazon tag line ''What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item? or something similar.

Remember that eBAy has no new ideas, so they copy Pintrest or Amazon or Facebook or whomever is hot at the moment.

I guess in all honesty - any kind of improvment is a good one - but Annie is spot on with her questions ... and knowing ebay like I do (dishonest, crooked etc) theres some kind of catch.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Wed Oct 10 15:12:28 2012

LOL Ric - you are correct.

While playing with setting the page up, I noticed the suggestions that eBay popped up  were just about every search I had probably SAVED at one time or another over the past several years - plus a few mystery searches (probably the Mister or the kids)!

I still think Amazon is the king of data use when I search for something on eBay & Amazon emails me suggestions for that same item - at cheaper prices!

by: andanotherthing This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 15:24:37 2012

More interesting to me is why I am now in my 5th eBay "black hole" this year. And why do I know... because even my newly listed items have not had the standard 2 to 3 views that they normally get at start up indicating that at least somewhere they might be promoted as a newly listed item. Instead what to I get... 0 as in zero views other than my own hit!

My sales this Xmas season are 40% what they should be (ie a reduction of 60%) - thank goodness I have other outlets (mainly bricks and mortar - antiques centres and fairs).

Rather than waste time as the poster above mentions on tracking what we look at and sending us annoying marketing emails (I had one this very day addressed to me personally about autumn fashion, never having bought an item of clothing on eBay in my eBay life!), why doesn't eBay fix the searches and the search algorithms so my customers can actually find me or the items they are looking for.  Why doesn't it spend its time developing a better service for its seller instead of using its time and money on logos that no-one is interested in, marketing methods that annoy people, and policies that are non-sensical.

I am slowly but surely developing my own website, and other sites where I can sell, since eBay just isn't cutting it for me.  It's been fun while it lasted, but I am a small seller and can no longer afford to compete with the big boys.

by: TeddyElectron This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 10 15:54:49 2012

More lipstick on the pig.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Oct 10 16:10:10 2012

andanotherthing writes: ''...even my newly listed items have not had the standard 2 to 3 views that they normally get at start up indicating that at least somewhere they might be promoted as a newly listed item. Instead what to I get... 0 as in zero views other than my own hit!''

Same here! Taking advantage of eBay's ''free'' listing promotion, I added over 100 items several days ago... and I noticed the exact same phenomenon.

In the not-too-distant past, my new listings would have 1 or 2 views within 15 minutes of uploading the data. Within an hour or two, 100% of my new items would have been viewed at least once.

Now... with my recent uploads, it's been four days and only 10% have any views. The other 90% have 0 views and 0 watchers.

Black hole, indeed! At least I'm no longer paying to list, and now that I've closed my store, the only money eBay gets from me is if something sells.

So... if you think about it, I'm getting my money's worth... exactly what I paid for. --- Nothing. :-)

1 2 3  [Next Page]