Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Sept 14 2022 20:37:48

eBay Fall Update to Include Changes to Shipping and Payments

eBay will share some major announcements from the upcoming Fall Seller Update next week at its virtual eBay Open seller conference before making a formal Fall Seller Update announcement sometime after the conference. "We want to share all of the announcements straight from our teams and executives who've developed all the great updates," according to a company representative during Wednesday's monthly chat session.

The rep said eBay CEO Jamie Iannone would make an announcement during the keynote on Monday (we believe they misspoke, since the opening keynote is being held on Wednesday, September 21 at 12 noon Eastern).

And on Thursday, the keynote will include news from the Fall Seller Update covering product, shipping, and payments. The conference agenda shows Vice President of Seller Experience Xiaodi Zhang and Vice President of Global Markets Operations Ashish Chhabra scheduled to address attendees during Thursday's keynote address.

eBay had invited some sellers to San Jose last week to meet with various teams, according to Jim "Griff" Griffith on this week's eBay podcast. eBay has in the past briefed certain favored sellers ahead of major announcements to get feedback before announcing to the general seller population.

Sellers who wish to hear some of the changes eBay has planned can register for the eBay Open conference and pay special attention to the Wednesday and Thursday keynote sessions. If you do, be sure and send us your feedback.

Perminate Link for eBay Fall Update to Include Changes to Shipping and Payments   eBay Fall Update to Include Changes to Shipping and Payments

by: JohnBilt This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 17 16:01:04 2022

@Marie

Is an Ebay Troll... Print out the responses and use for the #2 event.

Ebay is now a pathetic leech, sucking the remaining life source from it's host. I truly feel sorry for those of you that have built viable business on that platform. I do not have an answer on how to unwind the relationship, and migrate to a new platform. As mentioned I stopped selling in 2021, I tried all the others Ebid, Bonanza, Mercari, Posh and others... none have the traction that the 'Junk Sale' site ebay has, so I just stopped selling there. Believe it or not, Facebook Market Place , and even Craigslist can move some product for my niche; machinery / parts / lawn care/ repair.

The 2020 event Ebay made $$ by allowing price gouging, and did NOT take any action to STOP it. The gouging profits sent the stock price to the moon. Then no pandemic; Crash & Burn. Stock buybacks are smoke and mirrors by desperate corpse-eratons to jack earnings... period. Money that should have been returned to the shareholders via dividends is pissed away taking shares off the market, making it appear that EPS has increased when the illusion just reduces the # of shares and divides by lesser income. Should be illegal.

Now you can see the curtain opening on the 'Mighty OZ' there is no way to increase revenue, other than steal it from the remaining sellers, or the new brain trust brilliance; a multi billion $$ company trading Pokemon cards! Lets see if that does as well as Bitcoin ;/. At least with the cards you have a piece of worthless cardboard once all the adults come to their senses.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Sep 18 01:34:29 2022

@jack

No it isn't, nor did I.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Sep 18 01:37:15 2022

@JohnBilt

I've been called worse.  Usually on this site when I choose to use my vocabulary differently that some do when talking about Ebay.  I simply have no need to call anyone names.  It is juvenile and childish IMHO.  I can make my point without it, I know for others that can be more challenging.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 18 08:43:09 2022

Hate to say it but @JohnBilt is right. I made a push this year spending almost all of my profits to expand my inventory. Instead of my sales going up, they stayed the same, with a few periods of a month where sales actually went down. After seeing this, as of right now I am not buying anything, not even keeping up with par stock levels. I make purchases almost every month. I will not be purchasing any more this year. I have one previous order waiting...but thats it. At year end I will see what happens. It's getting to the point where I can go and make more money working for the man.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 18 09:57:20 2022

"Some sellers like and prefer Paypal, some hate it. Some like and prefer MP, some hate it. From what I see, it is a mixed bag."

That WASNT the point.

At first eBay crowed about Paypal and forced users into it, all while reassuring them it was the best thing ever created (it was a lie but they went with it anyway). They THOUGHT they had full control over it, but then they realized they DIDNT (there were alot of losses that Paypal REFUSED to eat and pushed back on eBay since they had to follow US common/trade law and eBay just made rules up as they went along). Paypal refused to eat those losses and dumped them back on eBay (as eBay had been doing to Paypal for YEARS)(it pushed losses on Paypals books).

Paypal's board then realized that eBay was the albatross around its neck and it was spun off. It simply couldnt grow with eBay pushing it around and eBays ABYSMAL reputation only made it worse. It was "an eBay company", and one would rather get yellow fever then opt to go into business with them.

eBay at first did complain - who was going to do their dirty work? They asked Western Union - they arent set up for that plus WU has a long history of defrauding people (eBays kinda company), and as they arent "really" a bank set up for cc processing.

Then then created the Adyen scheme (pure mafia). They found a company you couldnt call with an 800# - somewhere in the Netherlands. eBay bought shares in it, and it went along with eBays games. "Lower fees, faster payments" - and that lie lasted about 5 mins (wheres your lower fees NOW?)

But if Paypal was so great - as eBay said it was - whats Adyen? is it better? is it worse? or is all of it just a lie? (it is).

Sellers of course have no choice - eBay uses the TOS to rope you into it and theres no options.

Of course its tieing, of course its coersion, of course its not any better then Paypal nor is it faster or cheaper. eBay gets a better rate and has %101 control over sellers funds - which is really what it wanted all along anyway.

""Macys telling you what eBay does. Want that %40 off? want that free makeup? want that stuff we advertise - well ONLY if you use our card!" You are confusing what options a buyer has with the only option a seller has. The two are not the same and Macy's allows for several different types of payment methods from buyers AS DOES EBAY."

You seem to be mixing things up. Sure buyers can pay with any method they choose - but its SELLERS who are the real buyers - THEY are paying for the cc processing - they are buying the service - THEY should get to make the decisions.

You know that there are no choices SPECIFICALLY because eBay wants control over sellers funds - so why play this game? Adyen provides nothing Chase doesnt or any other cc processing firm - EXCEPT %100 total control (eBay cant push JP Morgan Chase around like it does Adyen).

"Maybe some left Ebay all together and others sell on 2 or 3 of the sites. I've sold on multiple sites for years and I've always advised other sellers to do the same. IMHO it is just good business. " - %100 - I fully agree. AND - any sale you make somewhere else - sticks it to eBay - because if they were at least 1/2 human - it would have been theirs.

by: EasyMoney1 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 18 12:16:26 2022

Talk about over reach!!
I just read the news story about eBay executive and employees bashing this e-commerce bytes platform with personal, “at-home” attacks and threats on the Steiner’s! Wow!
I expect you’ll win your lawsuit against eBay with all that evidence presented to the court’s!!
So sad to hear of this.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 18 12:36:29 2022

I really couldnt care how they pay. Yea, maybe they want to hold some money behind but I always get it.

What I dont like is that they forced everyone into calculated shipping (now sellers dont really know what the cost is) (you cant recover your original shipping cost on a  return). If you want to do calculated shipping you can. But they are going to knee cap you in search, and you'll end up with half the sales.

The search no longer show best match/best price/best seller. They now give lower volume (with higher prices) sellers the sale before you if you have more items. I am practically giving my items away and still not selling. The sales are going to other sellers, for no reason. It's like communism on ebay.

I am going thru all my listings, raising prices, listing the same listings on another site (reverb) at a lower price with calculated shipping. After that I'm getting a job. If I sell I sell, if not, I'm closing. I cant bring in 250k a year and clear 28k. Just not worth all the work and headaches.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Sep 18 13:21:08 2022

@Pace
Here is their Phone Number in the US.

VDKB_enUS977US977&oq=adyen+san+fra&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j69i57j0i512j0i22i30l4j0i390l3.5695j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

"
any sale you make somewhere else - sticks it to eBay - because if they were at least 1/2 human - it would have been theirs."  Not at all my reason for selling on multiple sites, but if that is what works for you, great.  For me it has always just made good business sense.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Sep 18 13:31:16 2022

@Geetar

"What I dont like is that they forced everyone into calculated shipping..."  I don't and never have used calculated shipping.  Why do you feel you are forced to use it?

The search return depends on how each member has the preference for the search to display.  Everyone can set their preference for how they want to see their search return.  The most common one is likely Lowest to Highest.

You can set your preference on the search page, click on the down arrow that appears in the box called VIEW [right side of your screen above the search return].  There you will find how to set your preferences and your options.

I think you are likely referring to all the Promoted listings that appear at the top fo a search return, no matter what your search return preference is.  I too find these extremely annoying.  I've never liked it since the day they started it.

But promoted listings work for many sellers.  I don't like them, so I don't use them.  You do have to get below the Promoted listings to see what you intended your search return to show you.  Again so darn annoying.

AGain I agree, if your cost of sales is close to 90% I would stop too.  I hope everything works out for you whatever it is you decide to do.  Good Luck.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 18 16:19:07 2022

Marie

try calling them and getting them to speed up your pay out or release your funds

You have a better chance of finding a man from mars in your backyard then that.

Glad you googled the number - you missed the point about CONTROL and why the change

If eBay said Paypal was the BEST EVER - then whats Adyen? #2? #500?

Is it just possible you could say (out loud)(no getting on a table required) and say "YES IT IS/WAS ANOTHER EBAY LIE"

cause you know ... EVERYTHING about eBay is a lie. (go read the transcript with Jaime to Wall street from last week about his wacko plan and his selling of $8000 watches)

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 19 02:14:39 2022

@get OFF my LAWN!

Ebay changes have many times been a deal breaker for me. My exodus or departure would never even be noticed.

When a policy or fee increase happens that truly is a deal breaker I sell off that inventory and it isn't replaced. I assume all sellers do this as well since there is no value in replacing inventory that isn't profitable.

When a policy change comes that is a deal breaker I stop buying inventory that will be adversely affected by the policy. An example might be... If I sold items "for parts not working" (which I never have this is just an example) and when ebay announced the "return defects" I would stop selling those products because they tend to have a high return rate. If I sold car parts and buyers were getting returned SNAD to get a free label I would stop selling those.

I sell for me and my family. I have never sold an item with the intent of generating revenue for a marketplace. I adapt with each policy change but ebay policy changes are corrosive. That is why ebay is reporting negative growth quarters despite several completely new revenue streams. Imagine what the reports would look like without promoted listing fees, penalty rates for those whose false SNAD returns have a higher rate then "peers", or managed payment fees.

Prices should be low. The glitch creation department should be fired. Ebay must go on an apology tour and make things right from the no reason Donahoe mass bans of 2008. Donahoe and head of US marketplaces (or whatever he was before CEO) Devin Wanig's failed dreams of corporate America bending the knee for a seat at the ecommerce table was a comical endeavor that needs to be made right.

The only time the new guy from walmart has ever seen any part of the ebay experience was in a power point presentation. It takes more then some hype and a slide show to run a business. There also has to actually be a carrot on the end of the stick!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 19 02:32:23 2022

@pace306

I have no need to do that as my money comes fast enough to suit my needs.  I do understand why for some it can be an issue.  MP does now have Express Payments and if you normally do weekly or above payments, you can sign up for express payments.  If you do daily payments you can't.  I've never signed up as I said earlier as I don't have the need to do that.

I didn't miss your point, I simply answered your question. Nothing more.

"If eBay said Paypal was the BEST EVER - then whats Adyen? #2? #500?"  I'm not the one to ask, you need to ask Ebay for that answer.

See there you go again trying to make something I've said mean something that fits with your agenda.  I have never said that Ebay never lies.  They do and they have.  We all know that.

Don't tell me what I know or what I don't know, that you have no clue to the correct answer to that.  You just assume you know.

by: JohnBilt This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 19 18:18:44 2022

MP aside. The Fedex full year guidance withdraw, and eps miss by almost $2.00! First, makes Subramaniam look like a complete incompetent idiot, and Second, what is the writing on the wall for Ebay?! A miss that bad is unheard of for a fortune 500 Co.. So if package count is declining, Ebay must have a deep black secret it is hiding until Nov 2, and they are going to steal every last cent for every seller to make the carnage a little more palatable. JMHO.

by: JohnBilt This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 18:12:52 2022

Ebay is now showing the parallel to a slow motion train wreck. Free cash flow in last qtr. was $117 M, yet paid dividend of .22 per share for total payout of $122 M! All loser Corpse-erations love to cling to the NON-GAAP accounting parallels??!! WTF, who made this garbage UP! It is either Generally Accepted Accounting Principles or it is a F'ing LIE! In Ebays most recent guidance they are setting aside $4 Billion for stock re-purchases - LOL! They were $3 million short on free cash flow for the last dividend payment, and they have a pipe dream of a $4 Billion re-purchase! Free cash flow is just not there, dividends will have to be cut. Look at the $Billions that were pissed away on repurchase when stock was in $60-80 range, now 1/2 that value or a 50% LOSS in re-investment of cash, that should have been paid out in dividends to shareholders, but was for criminal buybacks which had the intention of levitating stock higher, but backfired! Shareholders should be LIVID, and pursuing a class action suit.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 21 18:18:17 2022

The faster ebay crashes the better. Slo mo is no good. The faster the more chance a replacement will come along. Slo mo will drag all sellers out of biz just like ebay. ALL they have to do is maintain a website. And yet they want more and more all the while they give more and more failures.

by: EDJS This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 25 16:58:13 2022

Someone on here made the comment " They have the stock holders to take care of " or something like that. Well, I am also a day trader and have watched ebay's stock drop by over 50% steadily declining since the October 22, 2021 so called "UPDATE" AKA FIASCO!. On that date the high of the day was $79.89 and last Friday September  23, 2022 it hit a new low of $37.50. Granted this last week was a huge sell off on a lot of stocks due mostly to the Fed raising interest rates again,  but ebay has been steadily trending down since last October 22nd. At some point people will get sick of the CEO running it into the ground for his own benefit and nobody else's and will ditch it because his lies are lies but the numbers don't lie. Ebay has lost Millions of sellers and buyers and the exodus is continuing. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that eventually the board of directors are going to realize they need to ditch the CEO and then we can only hope that intelligent minds might take control and with a lot of changes it "might" survive. I emphasize "MIGHT" because at this stage there has been so much damage that it will be very hard for it to recover from the ongoing stupidity that has plagued it since at least last October. I have an ebay store but it's a good thing I don't need to make a living from it because since last October's fiasco my sales are about 25% of what they consistently were before then. I firmly believe because I call a spade a spade and tell them like it is when I do contact them, that most of my listings are hidden from searches. It is a game they play which most people are aware of but would be difficult to prove in court.

1 2 3