Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Sept 14 2022 20:37:48

eBay Fall Update to Include Changes to Shipping and Payments

eBay will share some major announcements from the upcoming Fall Seller Update next week at its virtual eBay Open seller conference before making a formal Fall Seller Update announcement sometime after the conference. "We want to share all of the announcements straight from our teams and executives who've developed all the great updates," according to a company representative during Wednesday's monthly chat session.

The rep said eBay CEO Jamie Iannone would make an announcement during the keynote on Monday (we believe they misspoke, since the opening keynote is being held on Wednesday, September 21 at 12 noon Eastern).

And on Thursday, the keynote will include news from the Fall Seller Update covering product, shipping, and payments. The conference agenda shows Vice President of Seller Experience Xiaodi Zhang and Vice President of Global Markets Operations Ashish Chhabra scheduled to address attendees during Thursday's keynote address.

eBay had invited some sellers to San Jose last week to meet with various teams, according to Jim "Griff" Griffith on this week's eBay podcast. eBay has in the past briefed certain favored sellers ahead of major announcements to get feedback before announcing to the general seller population.

Sellers who wish to hear some of the changes eBay has planned can register for the eBay Open conference and pay special attention to the Wednesday and Thursday keynote sessions. If you do, be sure and send us your feedback.

Perminate Link for eBay Fall Update to Include Changes to Shipping and Payments   eBay Fall Update to Include Changes to Shipping and Payments

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 20:18:20 2022

IF ebay requires ebay labels...and, IF they continue the 12.9% vig on shipping...I'm sure they'll have no problem replacing my $750k sales over 24 years and my 100% rating.
We're not people...we're just stats.
I've almost gotten used to driving to UPS instead of handing my 44" cartons to the mailman at my front door. I can get used to Mercari.

by: Get OFF my LAWN! This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 22:09:07 2022

I hear all this ''Deal-breaker for me'' and EXODUS stuff , ,,,And I am not trying to stir the pot or anything . . . . . But REALLY??  The 10-12% alone they TAKE on your shipping for no other reason but that THEY CAN . .. the TAX, The TAX on the TAX!!  The TAX on INTERNATIONAL ORDERS???
The exorbitant fees in themselves?  The unrelenting encouraged fraud?  Them PAYING YOU when THEY WANT and keeping money for 30 days in a lot of cases for interest reasons...  I could go on and on.  I CANNOT BELIEVE the submissive souls out there!  The scary thing is, when it becomes ''The Norm'', it starts setting a precedent,  The powers that be recognize that they CAN in fact get away with this kind of stuff!  EVEN IF A NEW CLASSIC EBAY TYPE website came along and bunted them to the curb, and were somewhat more fair than Ebay with decade old fee comparisons and freedom to move around again, I guarantee they would recognize that they could get away with at least a fraction of what Ebay is bleeding you on!  When is the next time you think you will see a website that WON'T have their own payment processing garbage??

Of course this all falls on the sellers who AGREE TO THEIR OUTLANDISH HYSTERICAL updated Bi-weekly ''click here to proceed further'' electronic signature USER AGREEMENT.  The almighty smoking gun to bring into any courtroom for their defense . . . OOPS.  My Bad.  Can't even do THAT.... Because you have AGREED TO ARBITRATION and relinquished any and all rights to your personal freedoms. ...Just . ...UN-believable.

Your own websites are a great ''Start'' as i have my own as well.  I DEARLY miss the old Ebay....  BUT IT'S NOT THERE ANYMORE.  Clear the cobwebs from your brains and let it sink in.  It's ONLY going downhill at a rapid pace from here,  Call it nostalgia or ''The good old day's'', but it AIN'T COMING BACK.

by: foothill This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 23:18:56 2022

Forced label..
After 21 years I will also leave.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 16 02:42:39 2022

@Marty2020
"like mandatory use of their shipping labels"  They can't do that because their system do not support all forms of shipping.

@epuise

@toolguy
Depends on who it is you are trying to get back at.  Yourself or them.  "my handling time is going to 5 days."  A 5 day and above handling time drops you in the search returns.

@iheartjacksparrow
"They've already done that with Mangled Payments" Done what exactly?  They certainly aren't the only site with their own money processing program.  In fact the were the last of the bigger sites to bring theirs online.  So what are you referring to?

@Geetar
"You know they get a massive discount from USPS (while they charge us com base)."  Now I have always thought that they make some money off the label system too but have never been able to find how much.  Do you have some specific information on this?  How much is "massive"?  But it sure makes sense that any company that offers online shipping have to be able to earn money doing it or it would not be worth doing, especially those sites that only do shipping.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 16 07:35:33 2022

@Marie

No one knows what they make off of each label except the execs. at ebay.
The rates are negotiated. More labels, more of a discount. I am sure one of the conditions of the price is that it is not disclosed publicly. Thats what enables sites like stamps, shipstation, and others to be in biz. Yes, you have to pay a monthly subscription fee, but those are relatively low.

Lets just say they got $.07 a label (its probably a lot lower). How many labels do you think ebay sells a day? It's easier to collect on that, it's there already. And when the time comes to find a way to bring in more $, they will see all the sellers that are not buying labels from them. Why try something to bring in more buyers, when you can just pick that ripe apple. Requires no work.

What ever happened to that fulfilment by ebay they were touting is coming soon? Wasn't that right before the pandemic? Have not heard a single peep about that since. What are they doing that is new? What are they trying?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 16 10:19:32 2022

"@Marty2020
"like mandatory use of their shipping labels" They can't do that because their system do not support all forms of shipping."

WRONG - they cant do it at this time because its COERCION and whats known as TYING (A tying arrangement occurs when, through a contractual or technological requirement, a seller conditions the sale or lease of one product or service on the customer's agreement to take a second product or service) - which is STILL illegal. As soon as the San Jose people figure out a way around it - they will do it. No clue if its in the cards at this time.

"@epuise
What other sites give the users of that site input when they are doing an update?"

"@iheartjacksparrow
"They've already done that with Mangled Payments" Done what exactly? They certainly aren't the only site with their own money processing program. In fact the were the last of the bigger sites to bring theirs online. So what are you referring to?"

WRONG - AGAIN - on Amazon you are using THEIRS AND ONLY THEIR processing unless you have a special deal - which is as rare as hens teeth. eBay never did explain WHY and WHAT happened to Paypal. They used to walk around CROWING to everyone how Paypal is the best and safest to use - were they lieing THEN or are they lieing NOW? eBay FORCES you to use Adyen because 1) they keep the float 2) they hide the interest amounts they charge 3) they have full %100 control of your money (because Adyen are just Norweigen criminals not simply San Jose ones) and 4) because when the change happened - most sellers did nothing. Ones that complained (like me) "MACIGALLY" get money in 2-3 days - sometimes before I even ship the item.

"@Geetar
"You know they get a massive discount from USPS (while they charge us com base)." Now I have always thought that they make some money off the label system too but have never been able to find how much. Do you have some specific information on this? How much is "massive"? "

They get in between what ever they negotiate and commercial base. If you want to TRY and figure it out exactly - look at places like POSHMARK who can do 5lb boxes for MUCH LESS then eBay. Pirateship and other can run an entire company off that difference!

Of course the sin here is that eBay SHOULD NEVER have been allowed to make FVF off shipping to begin with. Theres NO reason on this planet that it should have/should happen. The fact that people figured out a way around eBays FVF scheme ISNT a reason at all. YOU cant charge people for things that you have NOTHING to do with. Your water company bill cant charge you for home heating fuel just because they are stored on the same part of your property. BUt some HERE argue its OK (idiots).

Lets see what the morons come up with THIS time.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Sep 16 11:48:45 2022

I NO longer look at eBay as my partner!

I love eBay for buying, I truly HATE eBay as a seller!

If eBay were my child I would file Emancipation papers for them!

How do I nicely say FU ebay!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Sep 16 12:03:57 2022

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 16 13:43:50 2022

@Geetar

USPS has never allowed negotiated pricing on First Class or on Media mail.  Which is why every single internet site that offers online postage has the same rate.

I just thought you may have gotten some information that I had been searching for for years when you said that Ebay makes a "massive" profit on labels.  I was hopeful you had the information I haven't been able to find all these years.

I agree that all sites that offer online shipping are making some kind of profit off the amount we pay otherwise they wouldn't offer the service.  Especially those that only offer online postage.  They have to be earning money to pay for the site, expenses, employees etc.

I don't have answers to your questions either.  If I did, I'd share with you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 16 13:57:57 2022

@Pace

"WRONG - when you claim they are your SELLING PARTNERS then they have to. As well (since some here dont know the difference between Amazon and eBay - on Amazon you FULFILL, on eBay you sell - so they HAVE to inform you as you are the OTHER PARTY in a 2 way transaction (lawyering for dummies)"

Ebay used that term a long time ago.  Most of us never agreed that calling us "partners" was appropriate and most don't use that word anymore.  However I have seen it come up a few times on this site for various posters.  I personally don't think Ebay is my Partner and never will for a variety of reasons.

I sell on both Ebay and Amazon.  Not all sellers on Amazon use their fulfillment centers.

"WRONG - AGAIN - on Amazon you are using THEIRS AND ONLY THEIR processing unless you have a special deal - which is as rare as hens teeth. eBay never did explain WHY and WHAT happened to Paypal."  I'm not sure what is different.  On Ebay you can now only use Managed Payments.  So what you are trying to say is the difference, I'm not getting.

As to PP.  What happened to them was in the news for quite a while.  The company was spun off due to pressure from the shareholders.  I personally happen to like PP and was very sad to see it go.  I much prefer it over Managed Payments.

"Ones that complained (like me) "MACIGALLY" get money in 2-3 days - sometimes before I even ship the item."  If you do daily deposits in MP, this is the normal amount of time it takes for processing in MP.  Have you read the policy pages on this program.

I don't do daily deposits, but normally it takes 1 day to clear payment sometimes 2, but most are not cleared in 1.  When a deposit is released to me, I have an email from my bank before noon the next day that the deposit has arrived.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 16 14:07:27 2022

@Jack

"@Marie: Why do you have this overwhelming need to pick a fight with everyone? You know perfectly well what I mean. Mangled Payments is the only way you can pay on eBay. In case you weren't aware, when I pay for something on eBay, I get a message that reads "You have authorized a payment to eBay Commerce, Inc." It doesn't matter if I pay with a credit card or PayPal, I pay eBay and only eBay. Does that make it easier for you to understand?"

I don't.  But if I have a question about something that has been posted or if I see what I believe to be incorrect info, I do sometimes post.

Here is me just clarifying what you said.  MP isn't a payment method, it is the name of the Money Processing program on Ebay.  Buyers can choose to make their payment via several different ways.  MP is the only way sellers can have their money processed.  It doesn't affect buyers.

Of course when you make a payment it says to Ebay.  We have discussed this subject to death on this site.  ALL money processors have to be the MOR [merchant of record].  Paypal was too when we used them.  They have to be or they can't negotiate / process the payments.  Sellers however remain the SOR [Seller of Record], but they can't be the MOR too as they are NOT processing the payment.

A definition from the internet.
A merchant of record (MoR) is the entity that is authorized, and held liable, by a financial institution to process a consumer's credit and debit card transactions.

by: ShortSeller This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 16 16:08:42 2022

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 16 17:46:11 2022

Marie

So was eBay lieing THEN or now about Paypal being the best most safest way to pay online?

Does this make Adyenpay LESS secure? If so why would ANYONE want to do it? Why would eBay want to do it?

Of course WE know what happened to Paypal - but the average user does NOT. One day Paypal is in, the next out with not one word from the criminal syndicate in SJ.

They get MORE money since Adyen gives them a better rate (being they are a bank and Paypal was just a middleman), Adyen (because eBay has a stake in it (shares) lets eBay do ANYTHING they want to - there are simply NO LIMITS on what eBay can do with YOUR money and you as a customer have NOTHING to say about it.

So yes - the above posters are right - eBay forcing you to ONLY pay with Adyenpay is bad for sellers, and more or less outright coersion. Imagine Macys telling you what eBay does. Want that %40 off? want that free makeup? want that stuff we advertise - well ONLY if you use our card!

""Ones that complained (like me) "MACIGALLY" get money in 2-3 days - sometimes before I even ship the item." If you do daily deposits in MP, this is the normal amount of time it takes for processing in MP. Have you read the policy pages on this program. "

I dont know about the "pages" - I never bothered to read them. I sell my items and I have tracking - you pay me then. No fuss no muss. Cause you know that *I* - if it took 2 weeks (or what ever) would be the FIRST guy to sue. In fact I was involved in the Paypal 30 day money holds issue - I had my attorney get involved AND send THEM a letter threatening to sue. I dont know what other people do - I just know what I do/expect.

Lastly - "Ebay used that term a long time ago. Most of us never agreed that calling us "partners" was appropriate and most don't use that word anymore. However I have seen it come up a few times on this site for various posters. I personally don't think Ebay is my Partner and never will for a variety of reasons."

Until JD - we were. Until JD I never got a VERO complaint - ever. Until JD I never had holds or returns issues (I had 15 day returns), I never had ANY issues (not really - Im sure there may have been 1 or 2). eBay said it because they people that ran it back then knew what they idiots of today do not - abuse your sellers and they will leave and since you dont own any merchandise - you'de better be nice to them.

Mercari and Posh are FILLED with ex eBay sellers - for just that reason - seller abuse. Its way eBay stock is %50 of its high - its why high level eBay people up n leave - mom always said - "never bite the hand that feeds you"

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 16 19:27:51 2022

@Marie

"Its way eBay stock is %50 of its high"

Ebay's stock was not worth $80 last year, it was worth $40, just like it is now. High pandemic sales coupled with sales of one of their Korean sites, classified, and stock buy back made the stock temporarily go up.

Execs at ebay hold stock....buy low, have knowledge of stock buybacks and sales of portions of ebay, sell high, then short the stock, and make a ton of cash on top of their bloated salary. Those execs, personally, do you really think they care if the stock goes down?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Sep 17 01:33:14 2022

@ShortSeller
"Across the board fee increases are scheduled along with a new shipping service option."  Where did you read this?  May we have the link please as we are all trying to figure out what the update will have in it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Sep 17 01:34:14 2022

@Geetar

You may have meant that post for someone else.  I didn't speak to their stock values at all.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Sep 17 01:49:08 2022

@Pace

Some sellers like and prefer Paypal, some hate it.  Some like and prefer MP, some hate it.  From what I see, it is a mixed bag.

I have no information on Adyen being a security risk, so I can't really comment on that with any facts.

I have no idea how many Ebay members know that PayPal was spun off.  I'm not sure it matters, but I have no numbers on this.

"Of course eBay never cried the blues about loosing Paypal - they got in return MUCH more then they could have EVER lost."  Which  is likely why they made the business decision to do it.  Sounds about right.  It is usually how big corps make decision, not sure I see something wrong with that.

I don't know what rate Adyen gets as payment for their services.  To my knowledge that hasn't even been released.  So my guess is that you are guessing.  If not, please provide a link so we can all update ourselves.

"So yes - the above posters are right - eBay forcing you to ONLY pay with Adyenpay is bad for sellers,..."  You can say this as many times as you like.  It is no more true coming from you than it was from the other poster.  Buyers have several choices in which to submit their payment to the seller via Managed Payments.  Visa, Mastercard, PayPal, American Express, Google Pay and Discover.

As for sellers, we only have one option and that is to have our money processed by Managed Payments.

"Macys telling you what eBay does. Want that %40 off? want that free makeup? want that stuff we advertise - well ONLY if you use our card!"  You are confusing what options a buyer has with the only option a seller has.  The two are not the same and Macy's allows for several different types of payment methods from buyers AS DOES EBAY.

I don't live in the past, I live in the present and how the site functions today, not how it functioned back when JD was in charge.  It will only affect me if it is something I don't like and it is still going on today.

I'm sure that some sellers from Ebay sell on Mercari and Poshmark too.  Maybe some left Ebay all together and others sell on 2 or 3 of the sites.  I've sold on multiple sites for years and I've always advised other sellers to do the same.  IMHO it is just good business.

by: P.Dorf This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 17 07:50:19 2022

@ShortSeller

Love the satire, though I don't think you'll be far from the truth.

by: JohnBilt This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 17 12:59:10 2022

In response to 'Get OFF my LAWN! '

Thank you! Couldn't have summarized the experience better. The journey from 1999 until I left in 2021 was a 180 from most pleasurable, to agonizing misery.  You just have to pull the rip cord and be done with the manipulation. I do as well or better without them.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Sep 17 15:03:03 2022

Marie writes: "But if I have a question about something that has been posted ..., I do sometimes post."

So your idea of asking a question is being confrontational and belligerent. Got it.

"MP isn't a payment method, ...."

Where did I say it was? You're always complaining about people reading things into your posts that you supposedly never wrote, so how about doing the same?

1 2 3  [Next Page]