Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Sept 14 2022 20:37:48

eBay Fall Update to Include Changes to Shipping and Payments

eBay will share some major announcements from the upcoming Fall Seller Update next week at its virtual eBay Open seller conference before making a formal Fall Seller Update announcement sometime after the conference. "We want to share all of the announcements straight from our teams and executives who've developed all the great updates," according to a company representative during Wednesday's monthly chat session.

The rep said eBay CEO Jamie Iannone would make an announcement during the keynote on Monday (we believe they misspoke, since the opening keynote is being held on Wednesday, September 21 at 12 noon Eastern).

And on Thursday, the keynote will include news from the Fall Seller Update covering product, shipping, and payments. The conference agenda shows Vice President of Seller Experience Xiaodi Zhang and Vice President of Global Markets Operations Ashish Chhabra scheduled to address attendees during Thursday's keynote address.

eBay had invited some sellers to San Jose last week to meet with various teams, according to Jim "Griff" Griffith on this week's eBay podcast. eBay has in the past briefed certain favored sellers ahead of major announcements to get feedback before announcing to the general seller population.

Sellers who wish to hear some of the changes eBay has planned can register for the eBay Open conference and pay special attention to the Wednesday and Thursday keynote sessions. If you do, be sure and send us your feedback.

Perminate Link for eBay Fall Update to Include Changes to Shipping and Payments   eBay Fall Update to Include Changes to Shipping and Payments

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Sep 14 21:18:59 2022

Can they STOP stickin' their nose in OUR Business ?
For cryin' out loud...
Know your role.
Stay in your lane.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Sep 14 21:22:26 2022

All this gobbledy gook is so they can justify taking too much of your money.
They need to shut up, lower the take rate and STOP removing any thing from our shipping expense. It's none of their business....literally......

This user has validated their user name. by: COVID-19

Wed Sep 14 21:51:34 2022

Can you smell another fee hike? All justified, of course. eBay's got stockholders to please. And sellers are just worker ants to be stepped on.

by: Marty2020 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 06:23:00 2022

shipment ...like mandatory use of their shipping labels (that would bring extra money as they rip off sellers on international postage, compared to pirateship)

This user has validated their user name. by: epuise

Thu Sep 15 07:41:24 2022

Who cares what "they"... "share"?
WE "little people" get NO input.
A few "big guys" get "special deals".
China gets "favored status".
The rest of us get cheated, less income, crumbs.
STOP pretending WE matter... we DON'T.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 08:14:59 2022

THERE HAS TO BE SOMTHING IN THERE TO MAKE THEM MORE MONEY.
and they will take it from us with nothing in return. More likely what ever they do will hobble us to clear less money. Thats all they do.

OCT 18 2021 stock price $80.59
Today stock price $42.32

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 08:28:23 2022

Yes, I see that coming. Forcing us to use ebay to buy shipping labels. Or a penalty of what their profit would have been.  This will be the tipping point for me. I just ended about 400 listings. Listings according to ebay "dont sell". And guess what, my sales dropped by half. What the hell is going on? Why would my sales drop if I ended a bunch of listings that weren't selling?

Any work in listing new items does almost nothing to raise my sales. It makes no sense to buy new and more inventory.

To think also, what new scam there will be to vacuum money out of out pocket's with this new update. I am thinking the end of the year will be it for me.

by: catman3 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 09:23:01 2022

Whenever I here Seller update from ebay it only means one thing, Mo Money Mo Money Mo Money.

by: toastedmutt This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 10:37:35 2022

@epuise said it all.

eBay has been encouraging me for 2 years to add a new line of inventory.  Why should I?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Sep 15 11:14:45 2022

I clicked on the link and got: You are not allowed to access this site

Someday I'm going to SHIT on eBay's porch for doing this to me for so many years.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Sep 15 11:18:56 2022

I buy/sell on eBay and what gets my goat is slow shippers!

I bought a $100 tool on Saturday the 10th, the seller has decided to drop it in the mail today.

This has opened my eyes on how to get back at eBay just a little bit, my handling time is going to 5 days. . .Buyers HATE waiting. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Sep 15 11:22:13 2022

eBay's on my back burner, the handcuffs have been removed.

With Retirement, SS and the wife working I no longer need eBay for anything!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Sep 15 14:48:21 2022

I wouldn't be surprised if eBay made their shipping label mandatory. They've already done that with Mangled Payments, so it seems their labels would be next. I imagine they are not happy that people are getting labels from places like PirateShip.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 16:04:54 2022

You know they get a massive discount from USPS (while they charge us com base). If they didnt they'd be real idiots. So you know that that is really pissing them off, sellers getting their labels elsewhere. I'd bet thats a huge revenue stream for them, or not if you buy labels elsewhere

I bet it will go something like this. .."since sellers are using a scan sheet properly, many usps clerks are not scanning the packages in individually, and some not even at the sorting stations....we are making it mandatory to buy labels from ebay, or you will get hit with a $xx.xx fee, and you will be affected in search"

Coincidentally if they do that you will know what the discount is that they get. Whatever the fee is for not buying a label from them....that's their cut from USPS.

I'm gone if they actually do this. Dec 31....bye!

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 16:09:08 2022

A real partner would say. "Ok, if you buy labels from us we will give you an x amount percentage off your bill a month. We know the economy is tough right now, but if we work together and share the costs together, and reap the benefits together we can get through this".

But you know it's never like that, it's always take everything you can no matter what, and at whatever expense.

by: Amberlin This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 18:24:48 2022

Yeah, forcing me to use their labels instead of getting them myself will be the deal-breaker for me. I've been selling in there for 24 years, but I'll say goodbye if that happens.

by: Michael in BC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 18:39:28 2022

Like many others who sell generally light-weight flat items like postcards and early stamped envelopes, I use postage stamps on almost all my mailings.  Stamps can be bought at a discount off face from dealers, or can be acquired for very little as part of estate purchases, with costs usually  in the range of 25% to 40% of face value - i.e. a huge savings.

If buying eBay labels is made mandatory, there will be a measurable exodus of folks who sell items such as mine.

by: UB This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 19:33:17 2022

I think they are going to make us pay for shipping labels from our funds instead of allowing us to use Paypal which we use a 2% cash back card to pay for the shipping. I was expecting this to happen a while back and if it doesn't happen now I will be shocked.

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 15 19:38:00 2022

Geetar is correct, eBay makes more off of the shipping labels than the FVFs.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Sep 15 19:48:14 2022

Speaking of Ebay stock, Ebay has now fallen back to 2018 levels.
Everyone in here should explore having their own website....

1 2 3  [Next Page]