Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Sept 23 2021 15:49:16

Account Opened in 1999 Is Ineligible for eBay Payments

A seller finds himself in an unusual situation. He kept getting errors when listing on a little-used personal account, and discovered it was because he hadn't yet signed up for Managed Payments.

But then came the Catch 22: his account was too old to sign up for Managed Payments.

"I was basically told that my account was so old that managed payments had not made it that far and they were unsure if it ever would," the seller told EcommerceBytes. "The eBay rep suggested that I open a new account."

The idea that eBay may not be able to get older accounts set up with its new payments system is concerning, and it raises the question of whether holders of older accounts may encounter other difficulties ahead due to legacy software issues.

The reader wanted to know if other users had experienced a similar situation, which he called "a little bonkers." Had this ever come up with any of your subscribers, he asked?

If you sell on accounts older than the mid-2000s and have successfully enrolled in Managed Payments, let us know - especially if it's from 1999 or earlier.

Perminate Link for Account Opened in 1999 Is Ineligible for eBay Payments   Account Opened in 1999 Is Ineligible for eBay Payments

by: JackieBlue This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 09:01:56 2021

My eBay account was opened in 1998.  I had no problem converting to Managed Payments.  But, we have used it regularly (a lot actually) since that time.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 09:06:25 2021

I have one account from fall 1999 that i never use, it was personal, and then a few sales, but more or less dormant. 350 feedback or so. My main account is from 2000, and was originally a half.com account. I have around 6,500 feedback, and have been in managed payments for over a year. Unlike most posters on here, it really hasnt been an issue. I signed up, got approved, and get paid once a week (i dont need money daily, and hundreds of transactions to my bank account makes more paperwork).

The other thing about legacy accounts is no listings/sales limits - at least there is no section that says what they are, and no place to request an increase.

by: Disgruntled_Seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 09:28:22 2021

2 of our 5 accounts are older than this. No issues

by: 1desertrat1 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 09:35:02 2021

my account is from april 1999 and I'm in managed payments.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 10:08:51 2021

I am May 1998 and had no issues with MP

by: Mango This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 11:10:57 2021

My eBay account was opened October 2001. (My twenty-year anniversary is next week. I wonder if I will hear anything from eBay? Hmm.)  My account is successfully enrolled in eBay's Managed Payments.  I encountered no difficulties during sign-up.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 15:15:18 2021

The funny thing is (off topic) that based on the age of the accounts opened here ..all of them (us) have more experience selling online then eBay does !

dopes

by: BobNJ This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 16:17:46 2021

Joined in 1999 and had no problems at all with Managed Payments.

by: Penni This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 28 10:40:26 2021

Account opened July 1997, successfully registered for Managed Payments.

by: Shadowhs This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 1 17:01:45 2021

Account opened Nov 1997, switched to Managed Payments without issue a couple months ago.

by: Jenny747 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 4 08:51:55 2021

I have two eBay accounts opened in 1998 and 1999 and was able (forced) to switch to managed payments which appears to be working.
What I lost in managed payments was my system of tracking items. I give up eBay!  Was fun for some time and even profitable .... I would hate to see what my hourly wage is now if calculated for the hours I put in attempting to weekly navigate their "NEW RULES / POLICIES".

1 2