Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed July 21 2021 09:12:06

eBay and Top Officials Named in Federal Lawsuit

By: Press Release

eBay and Top Officials Named in Federal Lawsuit

Allegations of Systematic and Psychological Torture Aimed at Silencing
Journalists

Attorney Rosemary Scapicchio, featured in the hit Netflix documentary "Trial 4," representing Plaintiffs

July 21, 2021 (Boston, MA): A federal lawsuit was filed this morning at the Moakley Courthouse in Boston, on behalf of David and Ina Steiner, Natick journalists behind the ecommerce trade publication, EcommerceBytes. The journalists accuse eBay, a multinational company with a market value of more than $47 billion, of engaging in a conspiracy to torture them both emotionally and psychologically. The suit also names eBay's former CEO, former Chief Communications Officer, and Progressive F.O.R.C.E Concepts.

The suit alleges eBay engaged in a conspiracy to intimidate, threaten to kill, torture, terrorize, stalk and silence the Steiners through a barrage of around-the-clock cyberstalking, ominous death threats and deliveries, and in-person surveillance that caused the Steiners to fear for their lives.

"The Plaintiffs are taking the brave step to hold all those responsible, accountable for these despicable acts." said Rosemary Scapicchio, lawyer for the Plaintiffs.

As a result of their conspiracy, two of the named Defendants have been indicted in the criminal proceeding; five of the named Defendants have pled guilty to their participation. The Defendants further obstructed investigations and concealed their actions from law enforcement to protect both themselves and their employers, which enabled the torture to continue.

"This has been an unbelievably difficult ordeal for my wife and I," said David Steiner. "Never did we imagine doing our jobs as journalists would lead to this. We want to protect the rights of reporters and their freedom of the press. We have endured enormous cruelty and abuse and feared for our lives. If this behavior can happen to us, it can happen to anyone."

The suit seeks damages to be awarded by a jury.

The legal team consists of the Law Offices of Rosemary Scapicchio, the Law Office of Jillise McDonough, and the Law Offices of Laura Panos.

Media Contact:
Sean Hennessey
The Castle Group
shennessey@thecastlegrp.com
617.943.4323

You can find the complaint on ScapicchioLaw.com.

Perminate Link for eBay and Top Officials Named in Federal Lawsuit   eBay and Top Officials Named in Federal Lawsuit

by: Bestthing4me This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 26 14:49:23 2021

In 2019 My position at another institution was off shored suddenly and I didn’t know where to turn. I was hired at eBay for its MP department due to my skill set (Not that it would help fix that lost cause) I started to see a disconnect between the public image and internal workings. Than I found this blog. I would work during the day fielding issues globally trying to help and getting no where. At night I couldn’t sleep I would read this blog and the community boards on the site and ultimately we parted ways shortly after my training ended. Had this not happened I never would have been open for a new job I love. I hope something does wake them up, and I hope the Steiners can move past this and heal.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jul 26 22:15:14 2021

@Marie Thank you for your contributions and thank you David and Ina for hosting this site!

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Tue Jul 27 01:45:44 2021

Glad to hear that eBay will be facing a reckoning now that the criminal trials are out of the way.  Best wishes to David and Ina, and here's hoping that justice is served.
==================
@Marie - I think most people (just NOT the usual suspects) realize you were offering sympathies to David and Ina in a sincere way.  Anything else read into that and reacted to was inappropriate for this particular article, and meant to rehash old news, old battles.  Not a good look for those involved.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jul 27 02:21:01 2021

@lightning

Thank you.  I agree with you, this is ALL about David and Ina and NOT what others desires this to be about.  You always have a great way of explaining things.

I firmly believe this is all about David and Ina.  What happened to them there simply is no excuse for.  I further hope that ALL parties are brought to justice as well as share in the monetary payout to the Steiners.  The Steiners deserve to be significantly recompensed what what they have had to endure.

by: mks2156 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 29 09:59:14 2021

I had previously heard about the criminal side of this case, but had no I idea until reading other articles about this suit that the victims were Ina and her husband. Many comments here are about vengeance, retaliation, and money. I just hope you are brought peace and a return to normalcy, if that hasn't happened already. As someone who has been stalked not only personally, but whose family was stalked for just doing their job, I know it is a miserable experience. I appreciate your efforts on keeping us to date on affairs related to ecommerce and have followed this blog for years. May god bless you both.

This user has validated their user name. by: MainelyVintage

Fri Jul 30 10:55:08 2021

Another victim of stalking here, only garden-variety, nothing like the Steiners endured. Healing will take time.

Selfishly, I hope that this publication continues (but totally understand if it cannot).

David and Ina, you have both made the capricious landscape of online selling much more bearable through the years. May you have peace, closure and a secure future.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 2 00:16:50 2021

@Ric

Ebay may have to disclose the lawsuit as well as their anticipated payouts as early as the June 30 quarterly financials which I am sure is why the announcement was of earnings was delayed until later in August.  They must disclose the lawsuit as well as what they potentially feel will be the settlement amount and this will be in the audited Financial Statements notes.  This note will continue to require disclosure as long as Ebay feels their is a potential payout that is not considered insignificant.  This is another reason that Ebay will do all it can to get this lawsuit settled ASAP so they will not have to continue disclosing the open wound for all to see for months and maybe even years depending on the stance they take.  Ebay has already made offers although i am sure they were just feelers to see how serious the Steiners are as well as get a feel for what it will take to make this go away.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 2 00:47:51 2021

@Bestthing4me

Nothing is going to change at Ebay until they do a clean sweep on all of the executives at the company because this is just the mindset they have had drilled into them since day one at Ebay.  It took them forever to find a new CEO for Ebay this time around and i thought that maybe, just maybe this CEO would be different which is what I hoped Ebay was looking for.  Instead they were trying to find another CEO who would allow the company to run just as it had under Devin Wenig and would allow lying, stealing and anything else that would put money in Ebays coffers.

The current CEO is very quiet and just puts his stamp of approval on anything and everything that Ebay management feels will put more money in the bank to help pay the massive monthly bar tabs at a place like that.  I do not wish harm to anybody, but one of these days an executive is going to walk out of Walkers West with a blood alcohol level over the legal limit and cause an accident of some type where police other than the San Jose police department is involved.

When suddenly it is revealed that the executive was employed by Ebay and that they not only encourage their executives to drink but have an on campus bar that is open to all at 3 pm (I am sure it is open earlier for executive meetings) all heck is going to hit the fan and Ebays image is going to take a big hit.  Of course I am sure they will try to do as they did with those involved in the cyberstalking and that executive would be terminated and referred to as the exception not the rule, just as they did with those involved in this fiasco.

When this happens, especially if that executive hit a car with kids in it and killed any of them, Ebays coffers are going to be ripped open at the seams by multiple attorneys and nobody will be forced to use your arbitration BS.  That is when the blinders will finally be ripped off of the culture at Ebay.

by: Mango This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 5 08:41:20 2021

All of these mea culpa references to rampant employee day-drinking put this 2019 Tweet about eBay passing out drink tickets(!) into a new light.  ("Finally arrived", indeed.)

by: AB This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 17 01:17:33 2021

Go get them!  It is a show of strength for the e-commerce industry that eBay as a platform survived at all, and for so long while being managed by these (very preoccupied) criminals.  I wish you guys the best, and thank you for staying strong through it all!  I hope this was true rock bottom for eBay, so we may start looking up from this nightmare.

by: AB This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 17 01:21:39 2021

Also... does anyone recall Wenig on stage at eBay Open '19 with his odd Boston comment?  Always sat with me as a weird thing to say during his speech.

1 2 3 4 5 6