Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed July 21 2021 09:12:06

eBay and Top Officials Named in Federal Lawsuit

By: Press Release

eBay and Top Officials Named in Federal Lawsuit

Allegations of Systematic and Psychological Torture Aimed at Silencing
Journalists

Attorney Rosemary Scapicchio, featured in the hit Netflix documentary "Trial 4," representing Plaintiffs

July 21, 2021 (Boston, MA): A federal lawsuit was filed this morning at the Moakley Courthouse in Boston, on behalf of David and Ina Steiner, Natick journalists behind the ecommerce trade publication, EcommerceBytes. The journalists accuse eBay, a multinational company with a market value of more than $47 billion, of engaging in a conspiracy to torture them both emotionally and psychologically. The suit also names eBay's former CEO, former Chief Communications Officer, and Progressive F.O.R.C.E Concepts.

"The Plaintiffs are taking the brave step to hold all those responsible, accountable for these despicable acts." said Rosemary Scapicchio, lawyer for the Plaintiffs.

As a result of their conspiracy, two of the named Defendants have been indicted in the criminal proceeding; five of the named Defendants have pled guilty to their participation. The Defendants further obstructed investigations and concealed their actions from law enforcement to protect both themselves and their employers, which enabled the torture to continue.

"This has been an unbelievably difficult ordeal for my wife and I," said David Steiner. "Never did we imagine doing our jobs as journalists would lead to this. We want to protect the rights of reporters and their freedom of the press. We have endured enormous cruelty and abuse and feared for our lives. If this behavior can happen to us, it can happen to anyone."

The suit seeks damages to be awarded by a jury.

The legal team consists of the Law Offices of Rosemary Scapicchio, the Law Office of Jillise McDonough, and the Law Offices of Laura Panos.

Media Contact:
Sean Hennessey
The Castle Group
shennessey@thecastlegrp.com
617.943.4323

You can find the complaint on ScapicchioLaw.com.

Perminate Link for eBay and Top Officials Named in Federal Lawsuit   eBay and Top Officials Named in Federal Lawsuit

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 22 14:21:39 2021

A Premier FENCING Operation is another dirty aspect of Ebay.
Time for Ebay to die.

by: RhinestoneMom This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 14:40:27 2021

Yesssssss! Sometimes it seems like the ones who cheat to win get ahead are untouchable. I'm so glad that the "little guy" is the one setting the rules to play by! My respect for you and what you stand for has grown by leaps and bounds through this whole ordeal (not that I didn't respect you before! lol).

by: RhinestoneMom This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 14:57:07 2021

Message for @toolguy - "What about all the families that depend on eBay for a living?"

If you are who I think you are, I have am a regular customer of yours. What you may not understand is that Ebay is not responsible for bringing my business to YOU - YOU are responsible for bringing my business to Ebay. Big difference there! I would encourage you or any seller that has regular customers to start even just a basic website. Link to paypal (it's easy). Your customers will love that. Let Ebay get you new customers but then funnel them to your own website for any repeat sales. It just takes a note in with orders. Your customers will follow you. If you really want to make sure your customers buy from your site, make the prices a little less than they are on Ebay (you don't have to lower the prices on your site - you could raise your Ebay prices!). Use social media that may be pointing to your Ebay shop now to your own site instead. Even if only 20% of your sales come from your own site, that's 20% that you didn't have to pay Ebay for! I'm sure it would be way more than what the monthly cost website. Moral of the story is - You use Ebay instead of Ebay using you!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 15:41:10 2021

@marie

"The suit alleges eBay engaged in a conspiracy to intimidate, threaten to kill, torture, terrorize, stalk and silence the Steiners through a barrage of around-the-clock cyberstalking, ominous death threats and deliveries, and in-person surveillance that caused the Steiners to fear for their lives."

Right - so its ME thats "twisting your words" .... NOT

The article is black and white.

Why saying its NOT a BIG stretch to go from stealing from sellers to death threats and cyber stalking - I dont know.

UNLESS (in your mind) eBay is just an innocent angel in disguise who never does anything wrong?

Is it ok to steal money from small sellers to operate your own bar?

I guess it makes sense if you're the kind of person who always has a quick explanation about why what ever the topic is the out come is OK, and the standard reply becomes "i dont like but theres nothing we can do so live with it or dont sell on it".

ME? Im the kind of person that even when the topic doesnt directly impact me, if for example it "steals" from ANYONE here I "know" - from people whos posts I like and look forward to (rex, SIK, Snapped etc) to people I cant figure out for the love of GOD (Tool) - stealing from them is stealing from ME. So yes, I reply to most topics even when it doesnt apply to me - because I have FIRST HAND experience with the slimy sleazy soft white underbelly of eBay and how it operates.

Would you like to discuss eBay and VERO? Would you like a copy of the SR conversations that state the eBay doesnt care what US trade law(s) are and what ever they say "goes"? Would you like to have a conversation about "unauthorized listings strikes" (NO SUCH US LAW!)? How about one where we talk about pulling listings, accusing me of selling fakes - but those accusations come with OUT seeing an item, buying one from me ... all because Im "not recognized as a dealer" ..... BTW Falsifying a DMCA takedown for IP theft and counterfeiting IS a crime - its black and white law.

So why SOME here sit back and get upset when others get treated like cr@p for no reason - some of us have d@mn good reasons.

NO ONE twisted your words, no one - we just didnt brush them under the carpet.

by: Tammy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 16:25:01 2021

I just had to create an account here to I could write this comment.

Good for you, Ina, Good.For.You.   !!!!!!!!!!!

I know a confidential settlement would be offered and it will be a big one.

I guess I am being a little selfish wishing this could go to trial !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In any event, thank you for bringing this public, to Federal Court.  Ebay will pay (in many ways) for what they did to you, as they absolutely should !!

This user has validated their user name. by: DZT

Thu Jul 22 16:43:54 2021

Sadly....This will end up as only a bump in the road for eBay.....They will pay out a few million dollars without admitting any guilt.....They will demand that this site be shut down & they will go back to ''business as usual''... lying, cheating ,stealing & abusing anyone that is involved with their business....The Steiner's are already gonna be rich from this case so they should demand the full jury trial {even if it means a smaller pay out }  just so they can give some payback to this rotten organization in the form of maximum public humiliation & maximum drawn out negative attention that the full trial will expose.

by: Mazdaman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 17:12:37 2021

I must say AMEN to this action by the Steiners.  Having followed the antics of eBay for over two decades and most recently the federal cases involving eBay's employees AND former CEO Devin Wenig, I was hoping such an action would be taken.

I was actually on the phone with eBay's "Support" today before reading this, and happened to mention the previous arrest of eBay employees for this when discussing the myriad issues with eBay's corporation and the corruption therein.

I hope and pray you are successful in your lawsuit, and thank you for bringing this to the public.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jul 22 17:17:52 2021

Marie writes: "...some Ebay employees at the time."

Some employees? As John McEnroe once famously said, "You cannot be serious!"

Devin was not "some employee," he was CEO at the time. Steven Wymer was the Senior V.P. and Chief Communications Officer. These weren't a handful of low-level people who went rogue and decided to harass Ina and David. You can bet all the bad acts were carried out at the behest of Devin. I don't know why you wish to downplay who was behind the reign of terror because I'm sure the rest of us know exactly who is to blame.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Jul 22 18:20:16 2021

eBay will likely attempt to settle this disgusting mess out of court in order to prevent exposure of how high the corruption went inside the halls of eBay.

Hopefully, the settlement offer will be too small, will be refused, and the case goes to trial in front of a jury where the full extent of eBay's repugnant terror campaign against Ina & David will be fully and completely exposed for the public and investors to see.

It would be poetic justice to see the mighty eBay taken down by the very victims they attempted to intimidate and neutralize.

Fortunately, Ina and David, who were no doubt terrified by eBay's actions, have persevered and refused to bend under the intimidation tactics eBay employed against them. Now, they will see their day(s) in court.

If memory serves, Devin Wenig received a golden parachute of some 50 plus million dollars when he resigned/was forced out. Let that be the starting point for the damage award Ina and David deserve to receive.

Once the trial is over, I hope Ina & David are able to find peace and order restored to their lives as they put this whole sordid chapter behind them.

by: Nothingnewecrater This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 18:51:46 2021

HOLY CRAP!!! I can relate to some degree. I have an exfriend that has been hacking my cell phones for 7 years. But not as bad as your experiences. I hope you sue every last one involved in criminal court and sue them personally. I forgot what its called.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jul 22 20:01:19 2021

Per some of the comments here, why on earth would eBay have any say in getting this site shut down as part of a settlement? To agree to those terms is to give these terrorists exactly what they wanted.  It is what they set out to do by their abhorrent behavior in the first place.

No way, no how I would shut this site down as part of a settlement.   Keep the site and make them pay dearly.   Take it to a jury.

by: ShortSeller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 21:24:41 2021

Devin is a piece of trash. Hopefully this case puts an end to his employment.

by: gilmore This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 23 01:05:05 2021

Good Luck and God Speed, David and Ina.  I wish you the best.  Thank you for your reporting, honest journalists are rare.  I hope you don't shut this website down, but understand why if you do.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jul 23 02:15:43 2021

@iheartjacksparrow

Yet he still got fired.

by: Vigilant Eye On eBay This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 23 03:10:01 2021

''What goes around, comes around.''

If eBay hoped that the lawsuit could simply be swept under the rug without the general public and/or its investors being made aware of it, that outcome is no longer possible because the Steiner case has now been reported on by various online entities such as Business Insider, Fox Business, NBC News, and Reuters.

etts+couple+sues+eBay&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

An
eBay response to Reuters stated that ''The misconduct of these former employees was wrong, and we will do what is fair and appropriate to try to address what the Steiners went through. We are very sorry for what they endured.''

ts-couple-sues-ebay-over-unrelenting-harassment-campaign-2021-07-21/

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Jul 23 04:47:53 2021

"to TRY to address what the Steiners went through."
Losers "try", winners get it done.
DESTROY Ebay.

by: Mango This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 23 09:09:39 2021

Ina and David,

Ever since I read your first post about this situation in June 2020, I am shocked and appalled at what you endured. I realize that this was a tough decision. I pray that the now-inevitable process goes smoothly and positively for you. I am behind you all the way.

I love your website and as an eBay seller, it has been a consistent source of invaluable information.  I frequently find myself nodding as I read, because over time and through experience, I have come to realize that eBay regularly does C+ work (which you continuously expose). Thank you for your long-time assistance to me and the eBay community.

Like others, I selfishly hope that you continue this blog because I would miss it tremendously.  Godspeed!

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 23 10:03:41 2021

Meanwhile, according to Bloomberg News, Philip Cooke who was the security supervisor for Europe and Asia, will be sentenced July 27. He is blaming ''blames alcoholism and a culture of heavy drinking at the company for his poor judgment''.

Also from the article, ''His lawyer said in a court filing that the culture at EBay in 2019 encouraged heaving drinking. Booze was available at a campus bar that opened at 3 p.m. and alcohol was kept in work spaces. “It was typical to take morning shots of alcohol with co-workers,” the lawyer said. EBay didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

“As a result of being drunk, Mr. Cooke did not fully comprehend the extent of the misconduct toward the victims and his judgment was impaired,” according to the attorney. He is now sober, they said.''

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Jul 23 10:56:04 2021

Marie writes: "Yet he still got fired."

Not according to the official reports, which state Devin resigned. Beyond that, he should have been fired. If you have stockholders, the CEO is responsible to conduct himself in a manner befitting that position, and can't be engaged in a personal vendetta that could potentially ruin the company.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jul 23 11:04:21 2021

An out of court settlement will come.

The Steiner's don't want to re-live all of this in court, and then have to wait years for the cash.

My bet is that eBay offers them an amount they can't refuse.

And in that settlement will come a clause to shut down this site and keep mum about how much the settlement is.

It will be all about the MONEY!

It's about time the Steiner's retire and enjoy life on eBay's dime. ($MIllions)

Their payday is in sight and I doubt they fail to grab that brass ring when it comes around. . . .

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]