Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu July 15 2021 21:12:42

eBay Listings Ended Because There Were No Recent Sales

eBay sellers expressed concern after they spotted a new message on some of their ended listings: "This listing was ended because there were no recent sales. Please improve your listing before you relist it."

A reader called it eBay interference and said, "Now they are leaving notes to the sellers what to do with their listings." They attached a screenshot of the message that appeared underneath one of their ended listings.

Sellers on the eBay discussion board were concerned because the message made it appear eBay had ended the listing. "It does read like eBay took it down and you need to re-work it to make it saleable," a reader replied to the original poster. "If this is meant to be an incentive, it has missed the mark. Kinda harsh!"

Some of the other comments left in response to the initial seller's posting included:

"I also have this note appearing randomly in my manually ended items. Ironically, it's mostly appearing under the listings I ended because they sold out."

"I have it appearing in sold items. What is that about?"

"All it does is waste more space on my page and is VERY ANNOYING. Funny thing is they are so random, some listings show this that are less than 60 days old while other listings that are 2 years old say nothing? Fail to understand the point?"

Sellers were left wondering if the new messaging was a test. Let us know if you've seen the message and if you think it will help you improve your listings before relisting them.

Perminate Link for eBay Listings Ended Because There Were No Recent Sales   eBay Listings Ended Because There Were No Recent Sales

by: Michael in BC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 15 23:20:50 2021

I received one of those messages after ending a single fixed price item at day 29.   I didn't wish to have it up for another 30 days.  My description and my images were accurate and my price was below trend.   No real way to "improve" a listing for a railway bond from 1850.  Being told my listing was ended because I chose to end it isn't particularly helpful.

by: scotdso53 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 16 10:01:04 2021

I am seeing this message as well, on items that I have SOLD!!  Once again, E-Bay rolls out something new (item specifics) with absolutely no idea of the impact on sellers.  I also had problems re-listing and creating new listings until I realized that if I put something in the new/used box the problem is solved.  This is ludicrous since that wasn't one of the required items for this latest roll out.  If the programmers are not testing these new features prior to implementation, can someone tell me exactly what these folks do.
I have been on Fee-Bay in excess of 23 years, this past year has caused me more frustration and cost me more money than all the previous 22 years combined.  Thief-Bay's singular goal seems to involve taking more and more from the sellers to make up for the FACT that they are drawing fewer and fewer paying customers.
I have stopped purchasing any new inventory, will sell down what I have, and like thousands of other once-loyal Screw-Bay sellers, will ride off into the sunset.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 16 12:26:23 2021

Hey eBay (you rotten criminals!) Its none of your business - you are "just a venue" !

the mafia has decided to put you out of business .... where o where are the eBay cheerleaders now?

by: Ronn This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 17 13:42:45 2021

Ironically, I was commenting on my new platform how nearly every policy change or actions by  eBay have been detrimental to sellers. eBay certainly has the reach, but the trade-off in poor seller support each seller has to evaluate.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 19 00:04:36 2021

No confusion - it's something new, and as per their usual it's messed up.

by: Mazdaman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 19 00:39:04 2021

I guess I'll view this message as a sign from eBay that they REALLY DON'T NEED MY BUSINESS THAT BAD, and the items that don't sell in eBay's time period simply aren't worth bothering to list on eBay at all.  After all, we have our own website and three other e-commerce venues besides eBay, so it REALLY means that "NO ONE IS VISITING EBAY ANY MORE TO SEE WHAT YOU'RE SELLING".

And the more I get that message, the better off my "housekeeping" and removal of items from eBay will actually work out.

Thanks, eBay!  I never thought you'd let me know this!

by: Ladygray This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 19 01:23:00 2021

I still need to fill out recommendations for 100 listings and a lot of the fill-ins are not applicable. I fill them in anyway because the algorithms probably like them filled in with something/anything. Course, it doesn't help with searches which is probably why things are not selling fast! I'm glad I found other platforms and sales avenues because eBay is now my lowest selling platform.

by: Nothingnewecrater This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 19 07:24:32 2021

Hahahaha,That's all I got for eBay anymore. No longer relevant to me

by: wrslss1222 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 19 09:48:53 2021

Once again eBay's stupidity stands out.  Sellers pay to list items and there is no way of predicting how fast or slow an item will sell.  eBay needs to have people making these decisions that actually have experience with on line selling.  If eBay wants to have items sell faster then they should be doing more appropriate advertising.  And, of course, with eBay, it all boils down to making fees.

This user has validated their user name. by: epuise

Mon Jul 19 10:06:30 2021

I saw this on a rather 'new' listing, only been on for about 2 mos. Most of my vintage items need the right person to find it (that's another story w/ 'Best Match'). When I reviewed the listing, which I had already lowered price on, I calculated it's size, weight (over 2 pounds), after all the fees, COGS, and 'free' (included) postage NY to farthest & most likely destination (Calif), I would net $5 for my work. So, I ended it, brought it to a Flea Mkt, and sold it for a $20 net profit. Thank you, eBay, for slapping me upside the head !

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 19 10:39:19 2021

I see I haven't missed much

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 19 10:43:03 2021

You "bad sellers" who are "making noise" just don't get it: the people in the San Jose Ivory Tower know a lot more about EVERY conceivable market and marketing tactic than you. Their fancy-schmancy MBA diploma mills taught them all about forged stroker crankshafts for Ford 351W engines, for example. They know the precise buzzwords that will get you Top Dollar for your antique cookie jars. Listen to them; they have your best interests at heart. They only care about the "seller community," not their stock options.

by: 1st Armored Div. 1971-1973 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 19 14:01:04 2021

Once per year I bounce all my listings. It takes me 30 days to do this but it eliminates for the most part ebay shutting down listings. While I am at it I do try to improve the oldest ones before they go back up. There is a reason they have failed to sell and it is not normally price since I sell unique one of a kind items. I can improve the images, revisit the title and see if I can improve the keywords, improve the description, there is a whole host of things I can do. Several years ago I had them take down 5,000 listings and I won't let that happen again.

by: bnirvana This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 19 16:03:08 2021

I have not read through all the comments so if this is a repeated thought so sorry.  Seller of 21 years - selling new and used fashion. My feeling is that if eBay (yes I too remember when Meg Whitman said they were "just a venue) truly wants us to improve our listings then they need to improve their site and allow all our listings TO BE SEEN ALL THE TIME. You cannot sell what is not being shown.  THAT is their problem -- IT'S NOT US - IT'S THEM. Dealing with their site has become an exercise in frustration for a lot of us and I fear it will just keep getting worse as they obviously don't care and don't get it. (and please get rid of all the Chinese crap that they sell for basically pennies with shipping also pennies -- it is an unfair advantage to honest sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jul 19 18:06:54 2021

A few days ago I sold an item that had been in my eCrater store since 2017. It's so nice that I don't have to worry about my listings being cancelled for being too old.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 21 10:40:46 2021

Seems like only yesterday that eBay was lowering visibility after sanctioning a seller for some unproven and unappealable (despite evidence) ‘hit’ to their seller ‘standards’, with an edict to ‘improve sales’ so to minimize the ‘bad grade’ effects. Which they just made geometrically more improbable.

Typical eBay.

by: ShortSeller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 21:25:46 2021

The war on longtail inventory continues.