Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon May 31 2021 20:20:21

Yes, eBay Sellers Still Stress about Feedback

A reader reached out recently in frustration over the eBay feedback system. There are a lot of issues that keep online sellers up at night, but should eBay feedback be one of them?

At one time, keeping a perfect feedback record was vital on eBay, but over time, eBay introduced other ways it measures the reliability and trustworthiness of a seller.

Nevertheless, buyers still can see the positive feedback percentage a seller earns along with the ratings count and specific comments other buyers have left for them.

The EcommerceBytes reader said he had left over 400 feedback ratings for buyers but had only received 38 positives. Recently, he received 2 negative feedbacks. "Now my account looks ghost, because the neg feedback outweighs the small positive numbers," the reader said.

"It has become increasingly frustrating to me that buyers no longer bother to leave feedback. Has eBay ever tried to solve this issue?"

What say you, readers? Does it affect your sales when you receive negative feedback on eBay, and do you do anything to try to get buyers to leave feedback for you? And how do you handle feedback on other online marketplaces?

Perminate Link for Yes, eBay Sellers Still Stress about Feedback   Yes, eBay Sellers Still Stress about Feedback

by: ShortSeller This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 1 01:10:41 2021

Buyers could care less. Chinese seller feedback is routinely littered with negative feedback galore. Use the Seller Help feature to request removal of unwarranted negative feedback or do better as a seller to avoid it where possible. First rule of selling: you are probably stressing about everything the buyer isn't.

by: COVID-19 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 1 02:04:06 2021

No need to get stressed out! Just get off the eBay! #ProblemSolved

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Tue Jun 1 02:28:27 2021

Try as you might, you can't completely shut down negatives.  There will always be a buyer who is unsatisfied no matter what.  As @shortSeller suggests, you can try to get them removed if they are unwarranted.  If you screwed up, well, you reap what you sow.

It is true that people are leaving less positive feedback than before.  It has become a chore.  But they are SURE to leave negative if they are unhappy with the item, or the post office screwed up, or the manufacturer screwed up.  It makes no difference that you did a good job - you are apparently responsible for everyone involved.  And eBay is now letting them write a novel about their horrendous traumatic experience, that they got it an hour late.

It would be nice if there was some type of feedback bot that automatically gave the seller positive feedback after a certain amount of time.  Just said something like ''another successful transaction'' after 30 days or so, maybe 60, whatever.  Nothing flowery, a plain vanilla compliment.   If there has been no problem for that long, chances are there will be no problem, so give the seller credit for a competently completed transaction.  That covers those buyers too busy to leave feedback.

by: plcombs This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 1 07:33:13 2021

I rarely leave any Feedback regardless of how it all went as the system hasn't been relevant or an accurate and fair system since the ability of Sellers to leave Negs was ended years ago.

Nor have I found buying from a Seller with a 94% Feedback a better or worse transaction than from those with a 100% rating.

For a seller to worry about it is I think a waste of time, most of the time I never look at the rating before ordering things.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 1 09:13:27 2021

Another screwed up system/idea from the morons in San Jose.

As stated so well above - once feedback became a 1 way turd polishing excersize, it became useless.

However - I think we can all give eBay (as feedback) a 1 - and at times even that is generous!

by: gimac This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 1 09:47:10 2021

Feecnack are no longer stored in your browser as not the box is for 500 words. Maybe buyers used to leave stored feedback instead of typing them and and they no longer have that option so don't bother. Just a guess.

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 1 09:53:13 2021

Over the past month, I have received very little feedback compared to earlier months.  Did they change the way that buyers leave feedback?

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 1 15:50:27 2021

Thereโ€™s an irony at work here...

With every attempt to diminish seller independence and identity, and with every attempt to declare each buyer their own to decree and compel service standards for....

Any โ€˜feedbackโ€™ should belong to eBay too now. Besides, the feedback left says more about the buyer than the seller. All one needs is a professionally standard response to apply. Thank you for expressing your concern and giving us opportunity to address it with you.

As for what eBay thinks of feedback, well, theyโ€™ve never listened to it really themselves...

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 1 15:59:01 2021

I think people have gotten "Amazon-ized" with feedback. They just don't leave it much anymore. I don't think it's bad.

We get probably....hmm....maybe 1 in 8 sales leaves feedback for us on Ebay. On Amazon.....kid you not....it's probably 1 in 100 if not more.

We have over 60,000 feedback on several of our ID's.....I don't think people look at your feedback after a certain amount. I still stay ultra-strict about all negs or neutrals....I don't want them for any reason even though I'm obviously over-sensitive.

This user has validated their user name. by: Covid-20

Tue Jun 1 18:58:16 2021

I love the emails they flood your inbox with.
''๐‘ซ๐‘ถ๐‘ต'๐‘ป ๐‘ญ๐‘ถ๐‘น๐‘ฎ๐‘ฌ๐‘ป ๐‘ป๐‘ถ ๐‘ณ๐‘ฌ๐‘จ๐‘ฝ๐‘ฌ ๐‘ญ๐‘ฌ๐‘ฌ๐‘ซ๐‘ฉ๐‘จ๐‘ช๐‘ฒ!''
Hahaha  Sorry, not participating. When are they going to realize the gig is up?

Goofy corrupt platform.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO is CALL THEM and scream racism or some other safe space jargon and Kaplowee! FEEDBACK REMOVED!
Ebay has lost ALL CREDIBILITY in EVERY e-commerce circle. No one cares anymore for a reason.  Feedback is fixed and contrived beyond all doubt.

I have been on Ebay since '98, so I quite well KNOW what and how to leave a feedback and NOT have it removed paying close attention to their guidelines....AND STILL!  -- My feed backs toward completely incompetent sellers were removed like six times last year alone. Power sellers ALL of them.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 2 02:05:56 2021

Feedback on eBay is more or less meaningless.

However, it is still baked into Cassini. Don't believe it? Get a neutral or negative and see what happens to your sales for a couple of days. So, sellers do have some reason to worry, if for just a couple of days.

by: AddyUp This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 2 08:36:07 2021

I blame mobile devices. It's hard enough to get the buyer to read the description, never mind leaving feedback.

Especially if you get the "War and Peace" feedback option.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 2 11:23:54 2021

I do what I do. I am a reasonable seller. I dont let anyone stick it to me when they are wrong. Yes, I have some negs, but I refuse to give away the farm, and get on my knee's for an unreasonable buyer. If I was that bad I would have been out of biz a long time ago.

I get the "if you dont ***, I'll leave negative feedback". I then tell them go ahead knock yourself out.  No one is going to try to extort me. At the point that threat comes, all communications stops. Your not getting anything from me any more. Go cry to ebay!

by: toastedmutt This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 2 13:23:00 2021

Selling 400 to 500 items per month and getting less than 100 feedbacks from buyers.

I figure the majority of happy buyers don't bother leaving it but unhappy buyers and those scammers trying to get a refund plus keep the item for free go out of their way to damage your account anyway they can.

I totally agree that even one negative has an effect on your sales and how your items find their way to eBay search results - if they show at all.

This user has validated their user name. by: Working It

Wed Jun 2 16:09:55 2021

Any time that I receive an undeserved negative that eBay does not remove, or even a neutral feedback, I use the "reply to feedback received" feature, and professionally give a brief comment about how the transaction actually went. I think it makes a difference to buyers when a seller "defends their honor."

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 2 19:56:36 2021

I have 10,000+ feedback...100% positive.
I sell USED stuff...so...condition ratings are nebulous, even with close-up pix.
100% can only help a hesitant buyer...new or old.
Which begs the question...why are Chinese sellers with 200+ negatives still on eBay?
eBay is all about statistics...NOT. They're all about MONEY.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jun 3 02:14:39 2021

I find the FB system on Amazon much more problematic for sellers in light of very few buyers ever leave FB at all.  So if a buyer does leave a negative FB it can tank your percentage for a very long time.

On top of that they count neutral FB just like they do a negative.

And trying to get a FB removed on Amazon, even when it meets the requirements to get it removed is next to impossible.

by: Actual Seller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 3 02:56:03 2021

Still as simple as it has always been.
Include a feedback thank you card and buyers leave at a higher rate.

But who cares about feedback once you're in the thousands, it does not matter.

by: jcfiguet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 3 05:06:44 2021

For buyers who post unjustified negative reviews, there are 2 sites to report them:

and
rg

In
addition, you must register them on the ebay black list.

Ebay is exaggerating more and more against sellers, buyers know this, they abuse and take advantage of this unfair situation... When they see their name, nickname, phone number and address published publicly, they are usually as furious as the sellers.

by: fgilles02420 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 3 06:07:16 2021

I bought office supplies from a high volume seller with decent feedback. He printed the shipping label, sat on the package for a week, would not cancel the transaction so I could buy somewhere else. Item arrived too late and I returned it unopened; he fought the return claiming I'd opened it and used it. I left factual feedback and it didn't last 24 hours. There is little point to feedback on either side.