Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri Mar 26 2021 16:54:20

eBay Changes Feedback. Here's Why Sellers Hate It

eBay is making a change to its feedback system that some sellers say slants the playing field even more in buyers' favor.

"Previously, sellers and buyers could only leave feedback of up to 80 characters," eBay announced on Friday. "We realize that's often not enough space to include important details, so we're increasing our feedback fields to allow a maximum of 500 characters."

If eBay was patting itself on the back, users quickly disabused it of the notion they would welcome the change.

"Feedback shouldn't be a novel," one seller replied on Facebook.

When a moderator said they appreciated the feedback and wrote, "We wanted to give buyers and sellers the opportunity to be able to express their feedback in a more detailed way," another seller pointed out the sticking point:

"Sellers aren't able to express their feedback if they have a negative opinion so your statement is false."

Another seller said the change would be fine if sellers could also leave negatives, "but since we can't this is nothing but bad bad news for sellers."

Another said, "It's bad enough when you see negatives saying "this is garbage and so is the seller" and eBay refuses to remove the feedback. Now we get a novel written about us when we have 0 recourse."

Here's the announcement on the eBay Seller announcement board, let us know what you think. Will the extra space allow you to respond with more details when a buyer leaves an unfair rating?

Perminate Link for eBay Changes Feedback. Here's Why Sellers Hate It   eBay Changes Feedback. Here's Why Sellers Hate It

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 26 17:38:09 2021

I don't think this is a bad thing, but I also strongly agree with those pointing out that eBay clearly doesn't want sellers to be able provide detailed feedback when they can only leave positive.

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 26 19:14:42 2021

Agreed, this is a pointless change. This is not in any way good for sellers.....

by: airbrake This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 26 19:17:21 2021

This is very bad and Sellers should be now be allowed to again leave Negative feedback for Buyers. Buyers will often leave negative or neutral feedback when they are upset for something the Seller has no control over. Now they can make-up lies and exaggerate the situation and Ebay will do nothing about it. Buyers look at a Sellers feedback and they weigh a lot of what other Buyers0 have said. It weighs heavily on theirs and other Buyers decision to purchase, even with Neutrals. I have seen sales drop because of unwarranted feedback.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Mar 26 20:31:42 2021

The folks at eBay have been sitting in that conference room once again exchanging ideas around "how can we tick them off even more".

To think that sellers could crash eBay in an instant if the majority of sellers pulled their listings.  eBay sellers need a Reddit army.

by: gimac This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 27 05:52:55 2021

Waste of time.

by: kevindsm This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 27 06:47:07 2021

The feedback system on eBay should be eliminated.  The way it has been corrupted by eBay means bad buyers are rewarded while innocent sellers are punished.

by: Junk in the Woods This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 27 07:48:59 2021

Another useless change. How about fixing the numerous bugs on the site instead of wasting effort on something that is nothing more than a feel good for buyers. Zero value.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Mar 27 09:33:52 2021

Would be nice if eBay could keep it's word

"If the buyer doesn't send the item back by Mar 19 we may close this return."

"we may" really means we may NOT

It's March 27th, the 19th has gone & passed. . . . . .

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 27 09:57:56 2021

As long as I can reply to feedback received with a novel as well, it's fine and fair.  The old system was terrible as you were afraid to leave real feedback as the seller would then leave it for you, even when the seller was completely in the wrong- so it was a worse than useless tool (I was one of the few who just left positive upon time of payment but often there was feedback extortion by the seller which we old-timers remember).

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sat Mar 27 10:01:52 2021

Technically, it's a very easy change.  But the duhvelopers are H1BS so there can be hundreds of layers of fragile and undocumented code.  Then there are the dozens of meetings, approvals, meetings about approvals, approvals of meetings, etc of modern project manglement where every junior senior vice president of engineering that has his secretary print out his e-mail every morning has a say for some reason.  It's probably a minor miracle it got through at all and then only because it's another opportunity to hurt sellers that I hope are bailing as fast as they can.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Mar 27 11:18:21 2021

Increasing feedback to 100 characters would be good, as I sometimes have to abbreviate words to fit them in, but 500? That's just inviting buyers to trash the sellers that won't submit to demands for discounts or other extortion.

This user has validated their user name. by: Carl

Sat Mar 27 12:32:36 2021

@toolguy
You will hear many people telling you not to do this, from people that have obviously never tried it.
Escalate the return by asking customer support to step in. If they can see that the buyer has not used the label to return, they WILL close the case in your favour within a few hours.
I have lost count of how many times I have had to do this with customers who were trying it on for a partial or refund and keep the item scam. It is dozens though.
Customer service have NEVER in any of those cases ruled against me for doing it.

@iheartjacksparrow
I also hate the thought of 500 for the exact reasons, but you do actually get 160 at the moment if 80 is not enough.
Leave your 80 characters, then immediately reply to the feedback with another (up to) 80 characters.
Both lines show one after the other, so people will see all 160 characters.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sat Mar 27 12:42:45 2021

Who in their right mind could ever see anything about this as positive, especially when eBay's wizard'sπŸ‘ΊπŸ‘ΊπŸ‘Ί have come up with it.

Next thing is feedback will be connected to the service Metrix and there we go. Another 5%% grab from the greedy filthy ones.

by: Ronn This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 27 14:33:05 2021

To be honest, I have been ambivalent about this whole Feedback thing. With each change, it becomes more meaningless in my opinion.

Sellers are at a disadvantage with the current system; no disagreement there. But Feedback is a two way street; some sellers don't think so. I have been both a buyer and seller here. As a seller, I have always (with one exception) left feedback for buyers. But as a buyer, it is 50/50 whether a seller will leave positive feedback for me.

One one occasion, a seller pushed back on me after I responded to his request that I leave him feedback. I said I would be pleased to do it after you leave me feedback AS A CUSTOMER. Again, his pushback was why? You bought the item / I fulfilled it. Fine...no problemo...how petty.  I totally get that eBay did not want buyers to get a negative experience with negative feedback and leave never to return. Just my thoughts..

This user has validated their user name. by: Covid-20

Sun Mar 28 11:28:58 2021

WHAT......DOES......IT.......MATTER..... ??
Sick twisted losers. This company is so transparent it's laughable.  The credibility of their ridiculous ''Feedback''  is a colossal waste of time and well beyond laughable at ensuring trust in their platform.
Funny that I am seeing this thread, ONLY YESTERDAY ONCE AGAIN for about the 5th time this year, my feedback I left for an inept seller has been magically ''Removed'' hours later.

I have used ebay since Pierre ran it, so I am not bumbling enough to leave something so disparaging so as to have it removed. I choose my words carefully, but that doesn't seem to be enough for these clowns.  If their Chinese power sellers call in to have it removed, that's what happens.
I NEVER try and call them anymore as the robotic drone with an accent that inhabits their customer service department won't have an inclination on ''WHY'' it was removed.

Needed a part for my Honda.  Asked AHEAD OF TIME for them to be sure that the engine part was the right fit for the right model - ''Yeah, yeah, sure sure, we send you right part - just purchase''
You can already conceive what happened.  Part was wrong.
These buffoons wanted me to keep a part that I didn't need for my car - and accept half a refund!! They asked me TWICE actually.  Can you only imagine??

COMMUNICATION: New message from:  happy19star (23,271)

Hi,
We apologize for all the inconvenience ,
I wonder if you could please send the contrast photos to show the difference please?
Would you please kindly tell us the year/model/make /trim/engine of your original part?
will try to check right one for you .Additionally,could you accept half refund then keep it if there is no right one ?
Sincerely yours!

ME:
ARE YOU INSANE? HALF THE REFUND? Keep it FOR WHAT PURPOSE??? What are you smoking? What am i to do with a part that doesn't fit a car??? PICS ENCLOSED..
MY CAR = 1994 Honda Civic LX 1.5L (AS I POLITELY STATED IN MY INITIAL QUESTION ''FOR YOU TO BE SURE BEFORE SENDING!'')
Why the hec are you stating that this part is an accurate FIT to this model and year of my Honda?? Pic also enclosed.

New message from: happy19star (23,271)
my friend ,we are checking now
we will advise sooner if we have right one for you
if there is no right one ,can you accept half refund then keep it please?thanks

NEEDLESS TO SAY - FEEDBACK WAS LEFT ACCORDINGLY IN THESE EXACT WORDS: 𝑭𝑨𝑰𝑳𝑬𝑫 π’Žπ’Šπ’”π’†π’“π’‚π’ƒπ’π’š 𝒐𝒏 π’†π’—π’†π’“π’š 𝒍𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒍 π’“π’†π’ˆπ’‚π’“π’…π’Šπ’π’ˆ π’„π’–π’”π’•π’π’Žπ’†π’“ π’”π’‚π’•π’Šπ’”π’‡π’‚π’„π’•π’Šπ’π’.

So, what happens? A call must have been place to Ebay  hours later.
because feedback was removed So- the NEXT unsuspecting customer can have the same time wasting tomfoolery on their mechanics dime.

Because, Ebay is the ''Smart choice'' in your Ecommerce shopping endeavors and you can TRUST in them to get things you need from ''Reputable sellers'' all over the globe.

If you are a stockholder in this train wreck of a company, you have to be the lowest common denominator of stupid walking this planet.

NOT ONLY LOSING SELLERS - BUT BUYERS AS WELL and at a pace rivaled only by the Indy500.

This user has validated their user name. by: Covid-20

Sun Mar 28 11:47:03 2021

--  MY RANT ABOVE - -

... Details an ongoing situation with the corrupt goofy ''Feedback'' system this ''Aunt Sally'' of a company offers.
It is (this time) a point of view from a buyer and not a seller.

Simple solution?  Shop elsewhere if i don't like it.
For them to have ANY retort or explanation as to''Why'' this could have happened is pointless.  I only imagine they feel since I was refunded (Duh!), that the seller deserves to have the feedback removed.

So, back to square one.

WHY HAVE CUSTOMER FEEDBACK IN THE FIRST PLACE IF IT ELIMINATES ALL (keyword being: ''ALL'') REVIEWS UPON LEGITIMATE TRANSACTIONS ?

Because the general public is mindless and stupid and can't figure their agenda out?  Because Amazon has never been proven to have a corrupted paid-feedbacks dilemma of their own as well?
This is not a one time thing or me venting, It is consistent and ALWAYS with a power seller.  Always.

Good God Ebay- Hang it up already.  You are the court jesters of Ecommerce and aren't fooling anyone.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Mar 28 16:02:10 2021

Here's my strange eBay story from three days ago. I decided to buy all the figures I'm missing from the various sets of Disney Vinylmation I have. So I look on eBay U.S. for one figure I really wanted. Nowhere on the site. So I Google the name of the figure, and it shows up as a listing on eBay Australia. I read the listing, and it states the item location is an affluent city in California, so I figured it wasn't a mail forwarding company. I go back to eBay U.S. and look again for the figure. Not found. I go back to eBay Australia and message the seller asking where he was located and if he was in the U.S. could he please send me a link to purchase it on eBay U.S., which he did several hours later and I was able to purchase the figure.

Anyone who doesn't think eBay is hiding listings, or engineering rolling blackouts, seriously needs to rethink their opinion.

by: Ladygray This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 29 00:19:15 2021

Detailed bad feedback is what it will be used for. Very few will write out something long about a good experience.  Sellers need a voice. We should be able to rate buyers with at least a neutral and comments.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 29 01:39:41 2021

Perhaps in our 500-word feedback given or reply we might do a commercial for some of our items.  Title and item number, perhaps more.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 29 01:40:02 2021

This FB change is going to be bad for sellers.  Buyers are going to leave product reviews and tell stories that are likely inaccurate.  It will be interesting to see what we have to go through to get FB removed when it is a product review or breaches some other rule.  Before we only dealt with 80 characters that would breach a rule or two.  Now does the majority of the 500 characters have to breach the rule, only a few words, or how much?  I think we will have issues with this.

1 2 3  [Next Page]