Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed July 15 2020 16:39:23

eBay Gives Sellers More Free Listings

eBay is giving sellers more free listings each month beginning August 1, 2020. The number of total free listings per month vary depending on a seller's Store subscription status and whether or not they are enrolled in eBay Managed Payments.

The change applies to insertion fees and does not impact Final Value commission fees.

A seller with no eBay Store subscription currently receives 50 free auction or fixed-price listings. As of August 1st, that seller would receive 200 free auction or fixed-price listings.

Basic Stores will get an additional 100 fixed-price listings; Starter Stores will receive an additional 150 listings, to 250 auction or fixed-price listings.

Sellers enrolled in Managed Payments receive a bigger boost in the number of zero insertion-fee listings. For example, a seller with a Basic Store using Managed Payments will receive 10,000 fixed-price listings in select categories; 350 fixed-price listings in all categories; and 250 auction listings in Fashion & Collectibles.

You can find the details on this page of the eBay website, where eBay also posted a Frequently Asked Questions section. Among the FAQs of which to take special note are the following:

Will I receive the additional monthly zero insertion fee listings in select categories for managed payments if I am not signed up for managed payments?
No. You will not receive the additional monthly zero insertion fee benefits starting August 1, 2020 unless you are signed up for managed payments. Non-Store sellers and Starter Store and Basic Store subscribers who are not in managed payments will still be eligible for monthly zero insertion fee listings starting August 1. Basic Store subscribers and above who are invited and signed up for managed payments will receive additional monthly zero insertion fee benefits in the select categories starting August 1. We are inviting more sellers to join managed payments every day.

Why aren't you changing the monthly zero insertion fee listings for auction listings in select categories?
Auction listing is a premium listing format and we are not changing monthly zero insertion fee auction listings. Use the auction listing format when you don't know the true value of your item and want the market to determine it. Use the fixed price listing format when you're confident about an item's value or require a certain price. We'll continue to evaluate and make adjustments as we identify new opportunities to improve the benefit.

The full announcement is found on this page of the eBay Announcement board.

Sellers discussing the news on the eBay boards were generally pleased except for those impacted by some of the category restrictions. Let us know what you think and how you'll be impacted, and how you think this impacts eBay.

Perminate Link for eBay Gives Sellers More Free Listings   eBay Gives Sellers More Free Listings

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu Jul 16 11:11:55 2020

Seems to me, many can end their GTC and renew every 28 days. Still working like a charm for me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 16 12:53:57 2020

@lancecorp

Had those sellers received an email saying they were going into MP in July?  Not everyone got one.  For those that didn't, it will come in the coming months as Ebay plans to have all sellers in categories that MP supports in MP by year's end.  Those in categories they currently don't support they hope to have a solution in 2021.

by: Bparty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 13:23:02 2020

I dont need 10k or 75k listings. I  need about 5k but ebay will never let my listing get that high despite paying for anchor store. So now all my categories are free. Lovely.

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 13:26:19 2020

@Bparty what do you mean they won't let you get that high? (5K)

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 16 14:40:24 2020

@Bparty

If you have a selling limit on your account that is not letting you list more listings, simply contact Ebay and ask for your limit to be increased.  You can do this once every 30 days until you get your limit well above anything you might use.  That is likely to resolve your issue if it is due to selling limits.

You can do this from the link below.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 14:45:50 2020

I don't know anybody who has 10,000+ inventory except the big boys.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 15:15:56 2020

well well this might actually help me since i primarily sell books. right now i am a premium store, looks like july 31 i will be downgrading to a basic store and saving a nice chunk of money every month.

what is really interesting though is that we have been given the impression that once managed payments started it was a "use it or leave" situation, seems like they have backed way off or that.

by: lancecorp This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 17:14:39 2020

Yes Marie - they are suppose to enroll in MP and haven't - they received the letter but are insure if they want to continue selling on Ebay as things are going very well for them elsewhere.

To the poster complaining about people grumping. If they want to grump let them - if you don't like it skip the post. Easy as that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 16 17:23:01 2020

@lancecorp

Well then their restrictions will start sooner rather than later.

That is about the only way you can survive on this site.  I like many of the articles and sometimes I can contribute to the conversation so I try.  Some like it and some don't.

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 20:00:36 2020

@lancecorp here is a better idea. For the people that have 25-50 listings and complain about sales. Instead of crying on this website, how about you get to work listing more items. Anyone that has sold on ebay knows the more you list the more sales you get. That is unless you sell useless stuff that no one wants.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 16 20:25:15 2020

I remember Ebay 1998.
That was perfect.....
I don't use Ebay at all now....

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 16 21:22:46 2020

If Ebay had stayed exactly like it was in 1998, it would have never have been still in existence in 2020.  If for no other reason other than the inability of accepting mobile and electronic payments.  But the list is actually endless.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Jul 16 23:53:04 2020

@Marie - Looking for some advice.  If I go from Premium to Starter store, I lose Selling Manager Pro.  I can subscribe separately for $15.99/per month.  EBay support says that Seller Hub has most of Selling Manager Pro built in, and that I would still be on Seller Hub.  Looks like I don't need to spend the $$$, an easy choice, maybe TOO easy, perhaps a catch.  What can I do now with Selling Manager Pro / Seller Hub that I couldn't do just going to a Starter Store?  Is there anything you can think of? - Thanks

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jul 17 01:49:16 2020

@lightning

The difference in FVF would be more than I'd want to give up.  I personally would go below a Basic Store.  That way you retain the lower FVF.  That would be important to me because the loss of that would cost me more than the price I'd save between a Starter Store and a Basic Store.

But if that doesn't have the same meaning to you, a starter store might be the way for you.  You will just need to run the numbers.  There is a $17 difference between the basic and starter store at the one year subscription about.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jul 17 01:50:18 2020

I personally would go below a Basic Store.

That should have said Would NOT.  Sorry about that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Fri Jul 17 02:02:59 2020

@Marie
Watching all the other details, missed the FVF difference.  It's been so long since I even considered a store change, I forgot about that.  Glad I ran it by you.  Thanks for the assist.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jul 17 02:16:39 2020

@ligtning

ANYTIME!!!  Glad I could help.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Jul 17 07:28:34 2020

MARIE !
Get off me.
You're not the Hall Monitor.
I'm entitled to my opinion WITHOUT your comment.
Go Away Now.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jul 17 10:13:40 2020

eBay 1998 was rude & crude

You had to host your own pictures, there was no integrated shipping or payment system.

eBay 1998 sucked!

My best years on eBay were 2004-2007, back then I could sell $200,000 a year out of my garage. Now I'm lucky to see $40,000 in sales.

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 17 14:23:27 2020

eBay 1998 might have sucked feature-wise, but just 10 years later...? It seems that 2008 is the year all of eCommerce started its downward spiral thanks to Wall Street greed.

1 2 3  [Next Page]