Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue July 7 2020 10:09:05

eBay Coaxes Sellers into Payments with $50 Incentive

eBay is giving some sellers a $50 - $150 incentive to sign up for Managed Payments ahead of the mid-July deadline. The reward comes in the form of a credit on their invoice.

"I just had to tell you eBay offered me a $50 credit fee if I signed up for managed payments by July 10," a reader told EcommerceBytes. "I have 3 selling accounts and so far only 1 account received the offer. They must be desperate for people to sign up."

Sellers also referenced the offer in comments on a recent EcommerceBytes Blog post. One seller pasted an excerpt of the notification eBay sent:

"Your account is scheduled to be enabled for managed payments in late July, and you must register by July 15th or the ability to create new listings will be interrupted. You only have one week left to register.

"As a special offer for Independence Day we'd like to give you a $150 invoice credit when you register for managed payments by July 10th."

The fact eBay has to induce sellers to sign up for Managed Payments could indicate it's having issues with adoption as the deadline for the mandate approaches. Consider this the carrot before the stick. However, we can't help but wonder how early adopters feel about being left out of the financial reward.

Let us know if you've received the incentive offer and whether it influenced your decision to sign up for eBay's payments service ahead of the deadline.

Perminate Link for eBay Coaxes Sellers into Payments with $50 Incentive   eBay Coaxes Sellers into Payments with $50 Incentive

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 11 21:49:24 2020

“ Looking forward to my customers being able to pay with Apple pay and Google pay. Perhaps it will create some new business.”

Ya think? Or maybe even bring back some who used to be able to pay the way THEY choose instead of what eBay restricted it to, and that drove those customers away in the first place? Yeah, real heroes those guys.

And as for that lept upon one month one time 16.6% ‘incentive discount’ (mileage may vary), they’ll recoup that and more on next month’s (now inflated by at least one more contribution) float while they ‘get around’ to speed of light electronically processing yet still taking days to release your ‘commission’ for their sale of your inventory.

All of which any and every seller could choose to do in the past - and often did - without eBay’s compulsory and sticky fingered ‘enhancements’.

Which also kept some of that $1500 in fees (as applies) in your pocket too. EVERY month.

Btw - those aren’t ‘your’ customers anymore.

by: shut1968 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 11 22:28:16 2020

They offered us $150, I responded by ending almost 4,000 listings.

They just lost the fee's from our sales of over 300k a year

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 11 22:42:11 2020

@shut1968
I think you just nailed eBay's faceless nature.
eBay rents pixels...it never interfaces with it's customers, like a grocer or a bank does.
There is is NO symbiotic relationship between itself and it's sellers.
You put 30 cents down, and you can win $1 to $500+...or you might lose $1000+ on an INR.
Never happens at a grocery. You deal with people, not pixels.

by: plcombs This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 13 09:05:19 2020

Give eBay access to your Checking account? Gee, what could go wrong...

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 17:32:06 2020

After all of the comments pro and con, noting a few who said the signup was easy with no problems, I decided it was more important to keep on selling and signed up for MP.  The process was easy.  Yes, I did have to authorize the credits and debits through the logon app, but I believe them when they say that eBay will not see the password.  I've seen a similar authorization used in other applications.  It's just a different protocol.  The bank sent me an authorization number via text.  The app found my accounts at the bank and asked me to choose which one I wanted to use.  I chose the new account set up just for this purpose and it gave me the correct information back.  So, I'm all set for now.  We'll have to see what comes next.

1 2 3