Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue July 7 2020 10:09:05

eBay Coaxes Sellers into Payments with $50 Incentive

eBay is giving some sellers a $50 - $150 incentive to sign up for Managed Payments ahead of the mid-July deadline. The reward comes in the form of a credit on their invoice.

"I just had to tell you eBay offered me a $50 credit fee if I signed up for managed payments by July 10," a reader told EcommerceBytes. "I have 3 selling accounts and so far only 1 account received the offer. They must be desperate for people to sign up."

Sellers also referenced the offer in comments on a recent EcommerceBytes Blog post. One seller pasted an excerpt of the notification eBay sent:

"Your account is scheduled to be enabled for managed payments in late July, and you must register by July 15th or the ability to create new listings will be interrupted. You only have one week left to register.

"As a special offer for Independence Day we'd like to give you a $150 invoice credit when you register for managed payments by July 10th."

The fact eBay has to induce sellers to sign up for Managed Payments could indicate it's having issues with adoption as the deadline for the mandate approaches. Consider this the carrot before the stick. However, we can't help but wonder how early adopters feel about being left out of the financial reward.

Let us know if you've received the incentive offer and whether it influenced your decision to sign up for eBay's payments service ahead of the deadline.

Perminate Link for eBay Coaxes Sellers into Payments with $50 Incentive   eBay Coaxes Sellers into Payments with $50 Incentive

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Jul 8 00:31:23 2020

I have been using PayPal since before eBay bought it. Never had a
problem. I trust them only because they have to follow the banking laws. Ayden and eBay do not and I will never ever give them my SSN or my bank account info.
I have not been told yet to sign up but when they do my 20++ years on eBay will be done. There are too many other places to sell on line without having a corrupt and insidious company telling me what to do.
They can cram it up their rear end where they sun does not shine and they would probably love it. LoL

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 8 02:39:28 2020

I'm curious - Did anyone actually follow the steps and enroll in Managed Payments?  Could you describe the whole process and tell us how it went?
Were you able to complete the verification in one try?  As I recall, PayPal also required bank account verification, but offered a quick method and a three day method.  Using the slow method, PayPal would put two small deposits in your bank account and you had to go into PayPal to fill in the amounts involved.  The quick method was something similar to what I see described above - meaning you log into your bank account from the PayPal site.  I chose the slow method.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Jul 8 15:46:45 2020

Credits are useless when they're not delivering sales.

Also...with 80% of my sales coming from offline events these days, losing eBay as a channel will be only a mild inconvenience.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 8 19:02:59 2020

So I bite the bullet and get an account at a new bank just for ebay. There's a workaround for just giving just the account & routing numbers WITHOUT signing in to your bank account when registering for MP while in ebay...just select your bank logo (if it appears), then deselect when the bank sign on screen appears.
A new screen appears where you enter the routing and acct numbers.
Did that. WHOPPE!!!...got an ebay confirmation e-mail that I'm confirmed.
THEN...I get the "oops...we couldn't verify your info" e-mail. Something about the account names maybe don't match..."but, if your info is correct, do this."
ALL match. Bite me.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 8 19:09:15 2020

Ha, they just sent me the $150 credit. It's nice, but how about a little transparency on the pricing and fee structure? I cant seem to find that anywhere? Cold hard fats, as in this is what it is.....not but then, and if....Besides they reneged on the waiving of the per item transaction fee for early adopters, why wouldn't they renege on this $150?

by: BobNJ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 00:56:50 2020

I started selling on eBay back in 1999 and did pretty well in the early years. The last few years have been a total waste of time, absolutely nothing would sell at any price point on eBay so I started selling on Delcampe a few years ago. Low and behold, things started selling there and no store fees, lower commissions, no grab of shipping, etc., etc. Plus I can still do trades or sell direct and Delcampe doesn't care.

When eBay offered the extra listings this summer I took advantage and listed a few things at bargain prices and wound up selling some things. BUT I included a note in each package indicating I don't normally sell much on eBay these days and invited them to check out my listings on Delcampe. Now I have a number of repeat customers who come back every few weeks to pick up more items for their collection and I'll be done with eBay whenever I get the email to sign up for managed payments. No thank you, I'm doing just fine elsewhere and don't need eBay any more after 20+ years!

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 01:59:07 2020

@smallstuff

all i had to do was enter my bank account and routing number, no tests and certainly nothing where i had to enter my online banking password. that would have been a HUGE red flag to me.

really kind of annoyed that i did this last month and now they are offering money to people.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 02:17:12 2020

I ran into that popup screen to sign into my bank too. It gives Ebay my user name and password into my new bank account. I know of no other venue who requires your bank user ID and password to pay you for what you sell. Needless to say, I changed the password.  That takes care of that.

by: Simi MIke This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 07:24:30 2020

I'm thinking maybe the amount they offered to sign up by the 10th is based on the monthly fees a seller pays since it seems sellers are getting varying incentives.

We were offered $250 to sign up by tomorrow. Our monthly bill from eBay runs  about $4.5k

Unfortunately, we'll most likely miss the deadline due to the owner having a death in the family a couple of days ago and not having time to open a new account and get signed up.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll offer us $500 to sign up by the 15th. lol.

by: Denny This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 08:45:08 2020

It's easy to predict the future. E-bay loses millions as they shut down sellers accounts. The only account I have for e-bay to use is Pay Pal. Other wise Bye e-bay. They have no clue how many people really don't need them being hobby businesses and because they have destroyed worth while profit margins.

by: Valaset This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 10:44:09 2020

We had been putting it off until the last minute.  Not because of concerns over the program...but I like the old method of getting a big bill at the end of every month.  I could then charge it to my Delta American Express card and get miles for it.  (our bill is typically $1500 a month).

But when ebay sent the offer for a $250 credit if I signed up before the 10th...I jumped at it.

Looking forward to my customers being able to pay with Apple pay and Google pay.  Perhaps it will create some new business...

by: toastedmutt This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 11:37:18 2020

Been in managed payments over a year now.  The contract I agreed to with eBay promised I would be exempt from the new per-listing fee through 2021.

Classic eBay bait and switch.  Rotten commie bastids now say that contract means nothing, that contract has been torn up and replaced with the repressive new one and those of us who agreed to that contract will now be charged the additional per item fee.

We need a good old US Justice Department and FBI probe into the financial dealings of this pond scum outfit.

by: Mignon This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 12:57:42 2020

For those not getting emails about managed payments-- all ebay emails, including a daily one to sign up for managed payments,  have all been ending up in my ISP spam filters for months. I've not been trying to sell much on eBay lately, monthly fees have been less than the $50 statement credit offered. My question is-- Do I still have a monthly statement  if I sign up? If I don't use all the credit on the August statement does it disappear / become forfited?

by: Evenger This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 14:25:55 2020

I received the $50 carrot email this week.  Said I would get it if I signed up by July 10.  Threatened with no new posts after July 15 if I don't sign up by the 10th.  I did not, and do not, plan to sign up.  We'll see.  Maybe if they are unable to force everyone, they will stop this silliness.

by: bnirvana This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 18:57:08 2020

Well you could be like me and get multiple emails from eBay and when you click on the register button it goes to a screen called reject at the top. Basically I am ineligible at this time is what I am told yet I still get the emails - now a total of 5 - to sign up or else I can't list as of 7/15.  I have talked to ebay multiple times as well as directly to managed payments.  They keep telling me not to worry - it's a glitch and I will be fine.  Hahahaha -- why do I not trust them?! Well you all know why -- after selling there for 19 years I know better but this is the worst and most frustrating problem yet.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 21:49:49 2020

@Valaset did the same thing with my amazon card, it wasn't much but it added up

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 22:09:11 2020

@Tiffee Jasso

Well Ebay has to have something of value to share with their Chinese partners, especially now when their sales are down worldwide due to this pandemic and the increase in buyers realizing that even at $0.99 including shipping is not usually worth the price.  By Ebay having your login and password they can just log in as you and transfer money into the account if they need or want to so they can collect funds for anything they deem is now due.  They can also sell it to their Chinese partners so they no longer have to hack into any accounts to get some extra money and since they are in another country their will be nothing that our law enforcement can do and definitely nothing that Ebay WILL do for us.

Ebay has shown their true colors and the culture of their upper management team with what happened to the Steiners.  Just because they got rid of Wenig and way overpaid on his Golden Parachute  does not mean that the culture has changed as he had almost 5 full years to contaminate the minds at the company and to also make sure that all of those in Upper Management were just like him.  I am sure that if the DOJ ever went into Ebay and started investigating the company they would find that this fiasco was just the tip of the iceberg of the corruption at Ebay.

by: justchangecarriers This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 22:30:07 2020

I love this line.

"""You'll pay one final value fee for items you sell on eBay, and you won't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees""

Um so its just a first party processing fee? Im still at a loss on how they claim you will save based on third party processing fees. Sounds like a lie to me.

by: justchangecarriers This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 22:56:10 2020

This whole thing is a cluster#$#$

So I go set up a separate bank account, with business partner name on it too. Ebay is under his name so I put him on the account and he came by and signed the papers. So I go to sign up for ebay managed payments. My online bank is set up. Ive logged in and everything is good. Ebay bank verifiy page, I go the bank account and it wont login even though I can log in on the browser and app. So I enter it manually, and now it says the personal info doesnt match even thought they are on the account. With all the covid nonsense I had a huge pain even getting the account open. Had to set an appointment etc. Now its saying I need to login with the bank to verify info because they cant. This is a nightmare. There is no reason they need this information. When I logged in with paypal I sent them my routing and account number and they verified with a change deposit. Why does the info have to match with the banks primary account name? This is so ANNOYING!!!! Ebay makes everything hard.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 10 14:25:17 2020

If someone from ebay has the guts to answer this, please do...
WHY...when I sign into my bank account of 15 years while registering for MP, and ebay shows me the last 4 digits of BOTH my accounts...
WHY...does it then say "we can't verify your information"?
@justchangecarriers was spot on...this is a cluster*** of ebay proportions.

1 2 3  [Next Page]