Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon June 29 2020 09:49:20

Why the Secrecy about eBay Managed Payment Fees?

eBay published a post this morning about Managed Payments. When it came to fees, it stated, "For sellers, that means an end to third-party payment processing fees, since they'll only have to pay one final value fee for items sold" - though that statement fails to mention the 30-cent per transaction fee eBay will charge sellers.

We've been unable to find the new fees posted publicly, though eBay sent them to sellers who will be impacted and published some examples on this thread on the eBay seller discussion board.

Today's post linked to a landing page where eBay states the following:

Saving on Every Transaction
After enrolling in managed payments, DetroitAxle owner Mike Musheinish says the biggest benefit to his business is the savings on the payment processing fees on each transaction. "Anywhere we could save, eBay's helping us do it," he says.

However, that's from October 18, 2018 when the fee structure was very different from the new structure eBay switched to this year. (Musheinish references the 30-cent per-transaction fee he had been paying to PayPal that eBay said he would not have to pay - see the video eBay links to hosted on Vimeo.)

The Managed Payments fee structure has evolved over time:

In 2018, eBay announced Managed Payments fees of 2.7% and no transaction fee.

In 2019, eBay announced it would impose a per-listing fee of 25 cents (unlike the industry-standard per-transaction fee, eBay would charge a 25-cent fee for each different item on a customer order).

In 2020, eBay announced it would roll payment processing fees into final value (commission) fees (plus the 30-cent per transaction fee) - muddying the waters.

We'd like to give sellers the opportunity to answer the following questions:

- When will you be required to participate in Managed Payments?

- Do you know the fees you'll be paying?

- Do you understand how the new Managed Payments fees compare to the fees you were paying before joining Managed Payments?

This is a complicated rollout, we're eager to hear what sellers are hearing from eBay and what their experiences are thusfar.

Perminate Link for Why the Secrecy about eBay Managed Payment Fees?   Why the Secrecy about eBay Managed Payment Fees?

by: thriftyattireandstuff This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 03:23:33 2020

What's iritating is that in the middle of people's financial struggles in the pandemic, one, your forced to make a major change in your financial situation, and two, you get no solid info. The Paypal contract is not yet over, so why shove this down struggling folks throats. Did I waste my time moving money all over the place and it won't REALLY happen in July?  The one thing that will irritate the piss out of me, yes I said that is that I know that when a buyer opens a return, and never ships the item back, after communication, there will be a hold. I don't get that anymore on PayPal with Money Now  With extended return windows and all that, money could be tied up forever over a misunderstood return.. and I have a lot of those. I'd say 40% of my returns never end up coming back after I've communicated with a buyer.. However, eBay won't close those out until the ship back date.. Knock on wood, I'm not a high volume seller, but that just provides another dimension to all this.

by: Denny This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 09:07:46 2020

I wondered when millions of sellers were walking away from e-bay. I have not been replacing e-bay inventory or listing new things waiting. I knew it had to be soon because there is a huge fake in crease in my sales. Thanks July 15th is my shut down date.

by: Stargateman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 10:25:45 2020

I am not going to join MP anytime soon so they will not let me list anymore items. It will hurt them more than me. I will have 3000 items still selling for quite awhile. If we all do not sign up it should send a message to those creeps. I think there is a lot of sellers out their like me. Lets do our own type of online protest to the greedy top 1%.

by: Opalie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 21:50:43 2020

They may say "you won't be able to list" but do you really think they're not to going to either end those listings already up (that won't renew most likely anyway) or put any sales you do have into payout limbo?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jul 3 01:47:20 2020

@Opalie

The most likely is that you won't be able to list any new listings.  As your live listings come up for renewal they will end them instead.  So if you have been told you are going into MP later this month and you have decided it isn't for you.  List like crazy right now if you have stuff you want to try and move before they block your ability to list.

by: Opalie This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 4 01:14:49 2020

@Marie

Gish, I'm pretty sure that IS what I already said.

Why do you have this irritating habit of "correcting" posters just to say the same damn thing?

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Sat Jul 4 01:32:58 2020

Marie is a mother Hen

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jul 4 01:35:05 2020

@Opalie

Except I didn't "correct" you, I merely expanded on it.  I didn't say there was anything wrong with your post, nor do I think there was.  Gish!

by: Opalie This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 4 15:56:25 2020

Pretty childish to call out an obvious typo, but only what I'd expect from you at this point.

I don't think anyone needs their posts expanded on by someone else, frankly.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jul 4 16:44:58 2020

@Opalie

It appears to me that you are seeing what you want to see.  I did NOT call out any TYPO you may have made or anyone else.  So who is being "childish"??!

by: Opalie This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 4 19:47:34 2020

Really Marie? wth is Gish in your vocabulary then? Because for me it was typo when I meant to type Gosh.

Stop being so disingenuous, it's really not fooling anyone.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jul 4 20:11:43 2020

Oh now that is funny!  I too made the typo and didn't even realize it.  I should have had more coffee this morning to be sure.  You read too much into a mistake made by both of us.

1 2