Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Aug 26 2019 20:58:07

Your Chance to Ask eBay about Seller Protection

eBay is devoting Wednesday's chat session to the topic of seller protection. It's a topic near and dear to sellers' hearts, especially in the years since eBay removed the ability for sellers to leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers, leaving them more vulnerable to bad buyers.

eBay has made two announcements about changes to its seller-protection policies this year.

1) "New measures to protect you from buyers who violate eBay policy" - April 30, 2019

2) eBay "Significantly Strengthens Seller Protections" (for Top Rated Sellers) - July 24, 2019

If you have questions, now is your chance to prepare (note that you can't post your questions on the board until the chat begins).

eBay explained: "The Seller Protection team will be here to answer questions submitted between 1-2 pm PT. During the chat hour, eBay staff will answer your questions in real-time. At 2 pm, the thread will close. We'll work through any unanswered questions after 2 pm."

The weekly chat will take place on Wednesday (August 28) at 1 pm PT on the Community Chat section of the eBay discussion boards.

Perminate Link for Your Chance to Ask eBay about Seller Protection   Your Chance to Ask eBay about Seller Protection

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 28 19:56:43 2019

@Marie and @pace

Free returns are not required for these protections.......even though, it's odd. Isn't free returns required to be TRS? Thus, you don't have to offer free returns but then how can you become TRS (unless you are in a category exempt from free returns).

It's a bit confusing. Some of the protections seem to overlap a bit oddly.....

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Aug 28 20:13:30 2019

@mjr55

Free returns are NOT required to be a TRS

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 28 23:35:34 2019

Marie :)

"The new Seller Protections do NOT require Free Returns" - I said I didnt know - but eBay being who they are will simply adjust it as they see fit (just as they require 30 days or being TRS).

"I'm not sure that "satisfy" is the word I would choose to describe the upcoming change. We have been asking for more protections for a long time and finally we are getting some." We are going to have to agree to disagree, as each and every "bit of progress" is simply "if WE think you deserve it then maybe ok, but what you think (as a seller) doesnt really factor into any of it.

As for a sellers reputation - "today" they just woke to people saying this for the last 10 years? Its "bloody common sense" that a seller with a few thousand feedbacks, whos sold for 20 yrs with %100 feedback - is believed over a new guy with a 3. Are they too drunk out in San Jose to not be able to figure things out on their own? (do they need people to tell them these kinds of things?)

"Many times you have asked for more Seller Protections just like many of us have. I'm guessing from your reaction that nothing they could have offered you short of - do as you want and we will protection you - would be enough."

Well since you asked .... doesnt eBay say 24/7 (shouting it out for all to hear - either in court or from the roof of the new bar) that they have NO idea what was shipped OR what a seller got back - they are not involved with ANYTHING (Its abit late on the east coast or Id pull the exact wording from the VItton case), SO - what didnt change or maybe it did just ever so slightly - is that "now they DO know"? If "you dont know anything" and you tell the courts you dont even look at listings - then why have your thumb on the scale for buyers 24/7/365 ?

Either your sellers are important and you believe them or you dont.

The easy way to look at returns is - if it was eBays money on the line - what would THEY do?

And since people love to complain 24/7 "but but but but AMAZON" ... when issues like this arise you CAN make a claim and get paid - I know - I do it all the time.

So no Im not looking for total free reign - just fairness.

Lastly, "I don't know about your comment on Ebay Open. " I just quoted what another seller wrote as to why eBay charges people to attend (when they obviously have plenty of money) .... I know why - cause they are greed bastards - but I guess he/she didnt. Besides - making it in Vegas in the middle of the summer when its 107 in the shade doesnt show any brains at all.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Aug 29 02:23:13 2019

@MJR55

Free Returns are not required to achieve TRS status.  You can have whatever return policy you choose to have within the rules of Ebay.

Free Returns is one of the two requirements that you need to have on the listings that you want to receive the discount [10% TRS+].  You do NOT have to have any listings that qualify for the discount to retain your TRS standing.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Aug 29 02:34:15 2019

@pace

I know you said you didn't know.  I was answering your question.

I'm not sure about your 30 day comment.  If you are saying you have to have 30 day returns to be TRS, the answer is no.  But if you are asking if it is part of the requirements to receive the new Seller Protections, then the answer is yes.

I fully agree with you that Ebay has taken far to long to start improving, heck offering any seller protection.  You will get absolutely no argument out of me on that.  And I still think they have a ways to go.  But we are finally starting and I am not going to dismiss that.

I try not to let my emotions get in the way of business.  It is very hard sometimes, but I do try.  And while I think Ebay can and should do better, there are things in these upcoming protections that really help my business.  If nothing else besides the ability to do partial refunds and have my FB protected.  There are other things too.  But these are important factors for my business.

So no apologies here.  I will be putting to good use some of those upcoming protections and I'm very glad I don't have to do free returns to get it.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Thu Aug 29 06:28:33 2019

What was it, a year ago last April out of nowhere, SNADs no matter how ridiculous were suddenly valid and returns automatic. Even if the buyer put in the message "exactly as described. I'm just screwing the system" it didn't matter. Return granted. No warning. No announcement. Just like that, even on For Parts listings.

Lest anyone think it will be any different here. These so-called protections will be here today and gone tomorrow faster than ebay can make it's next change.

If nothing else, once the remaining sellers are all in Mauled Payments and Wenig has complete control of their money, he has no reason to leave the protections in place. In spite of how many have left, sellers have always been considered a disease to this company. And that hasn't changed nor will it in the future.

What's perplexing to me is why now? Why after 21 years in business, ebay decides to exercise that which to all of us are common sense policies. Why now? What's the angle, what's the financial gain, how does ebay benefit? Answer those questions and understand the real reason behind these protections.

One thing is for certain, it isn't for the seller's benefit.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 29 17:15:37 2019

the more it changes the more it stays the same.

no real seller protection