Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Aug 8 2019 21:25:58

Update on eBay Overbilling Glitch

eBay overcharged some sellers in a glitch related to how it tried to fix a problem with its Good Til Cancelled (GTC) mandate. The company has not published an announcement on the Seller Announcement Board nor on the Systems Announcement Board about this or other GTC-related glitches, but an eBay moderator acknowledged the over-billing on a discussion board on August 2nd as we previously reported

During yesterday's weekly chat session, a moderator provided an update on the problem. The eBay discussion board post follows:

I'd like to begin the chat with more information about the Good 'Til Cancelled fees that were incorrectly charged on some listings. The appropriate teams were engaged quickly, and the issue has been resolved. Any credits due to impacted sellers will automatically be completed by the end of this week. Since this will be automatically credited, Customer Service will no longer be able to credit these fees if you call in. Please let the automated process complete the credits by the end of this week.

As a reminder, Starting July 1, 2019, we changed the Good 'Til Cancelled renewal schedule from every 30 days to once per calendar month. The August renewal date for Good 'Til Cancelled listings is now based on the listing initial start date or last manual relist or sell similar date. For more details, be sure to review the Spring Seller Update.

That's not the only GTC-related glitch reported. Some sellers say they are getting their allotted Store listings removed incorrectly. See posts #46 and #54 in this thread on the eBay boards, for example. An eBay moderator had addressed the over-billing question posts #34 and 37, but didn't return to address the problem Store owners were having.

A seller who reported GTC billing glitches in July wrote to us again today to say a customer service rep told him that eBay was currently processing millions of accounts in batches in a process that would go on until September. He said the rep told him that the revised invoices would be rendered sometime in September for July invoice amount.

eBay's decision to change *all* fixed-price listings to automatically renew was a major policy shift that many sellers did not welcome, and the glitches related to the GTC mandate rollout only make things more difficult for sellers. As always, better communication would go a long way to helping sellers cope.

Perminate Link for Update on eBay Overbilling Glitch   Update on eBay Overbilling Glitch

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 10 15:34:27 2019

@toolguy Nobody cares about your eBay ID's or how long you've been there. Go back under your troll bridge. Your response as usual has nothing to do with what was said. eBay does not plan long term for anything. Everything is short term money grabs, announcements that they never follow through with, and throwing more spaghetti against the wall to see if anything sticks.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Sat Aug 10 16:46:14 2019

You can bet if sellers failed to pay their ebay bill for 3 months they would be suspended and turned over to a collection agency.

There really need to be federal regulations for this kind of theft. Etsy,  now ebay have stolen millions from sellers in the name of a 'computer glitch.'  ebay should be fined just like the airlines. You screw your customers you pay. Period.

If regulations were put into place, watch ebay's profitable 'glitches' suddenly disappear.  The online world has basically been going for over 20 years completely unprotected from these vile dirty companies. It's time for the govt. to step in, set standards and protect the consumer.

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 11 05:37:42 2019

When they went to GTC on these items I was forced to either QUIT ebay or upgrade.  So I upgraded and I have not made any more money, ebay is making more money.  I still get "make me an offer" which I hate rather than just paying for the item.  I can't rotate my listings anymore for fresh listings which is bad, it worked great before.  I have been making sales on new listed items but what about the ones that have been sitting for a while????????????????????

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Aug 12 02:06:27 2019

@ESB

Whatever problem you had with billing couldn't be related to this particular problem because it only happened on July 31st.  And there is no way Ebay expects payment for fees incurred July 31st on August 1st.  So whatever caused your over billing must be related to something else.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Aug 12 02:11:07 2019

This specific problem addressed in this article was for GTC listings originally posted on July 1st.  They renewed on July 31st [which was inappropriate] and then again on August 1st [which was appropriate].

So for sellers that actually PAID a listing fee on July 31st for the renewal of these listings, Ebay is issuing credits.  For those that still had something left in their monthly Free Listing allotment, no credit is due since free listings don't roll over from month to month.

Now if a seller posted some listings on July 31st thinking they still had some free listing left and that pushed them into paying for some or all of these listing due to the renewal issue I described above, then Ebay would also credit the seller for these.

So not all sellers are affected.  But certainly an issue for some which it appears Ebay is taking care of.

by: lancecorp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 05:33:20 2019

Marie - if you check - this problem was occurring back on July 28th - days before the blues answer to this situation. Mine were charged on the 30th when I had 16 hours to go. Best to familiarize yourself with all aspects of the problems instead of just following what the blues say.

by: hawk This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 06:11:39 2019

it's strange that you don't hear about any glitches that is in the favor of the seller.  only in favor of ebay , (and oh)  , we'll pay you back in a couple months.  what a pile of s**t.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 07:17:33 2019

Marie, you were in the last thread, so you must know that as Ina's multiple articles state, this all started on July 20th and continued until eBay was busted by sellers on July 31st, and it hit all sellers universally, not just a few.

Not store sellers were charged untold millions of dollars of fraudulent fees while store owners had billions of listings on their subscriptions deducted unjustly.

Devin's uncontrollable greed and his misguided policies caused this Titanic disaster to happen and he will never address it.

by: Evenger This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 08:07:14 2019

I do not want any of my items to auto renew, and always end the items the day before, the 29th day, to avoid auto relist.  On July 31 I used up all of my leftover Fixed Price Listings out of my monthly 250.  That being said, as we got into the month of August, I knew I had not listed anything for this month, yet on the 7th, I noticed that I had my eBay page showed I had used 27/250 Fixed Price Listings.  I checked my listings, but the last listed date for any Fixed Price listings was July 31.  When I called and spoke to a CSR, I was told this is A KNOWN GLITCH and they are working on it.  But the totally unexplainable part is that my items were not in fact relisted.  She confirmed that the listings which were showing as being put up in August were in fact in my unsold section.  They were not re-listed.  So why was my monthly allotment of fixed price listings debited??  The CSR was helpful and said they could not credit my allotment of "free" Fixed Price listings, but she would give me a credit for the cost to insert over the alloted monthly amount.

This is very troubling to me.  I really caught this by accident, because I was so sure I had not even listed anything in August.  Had I been listing as usual, I may not have even caught the mistake.  I cannot wait for the end of the month when I can change my store subscription without penalty to a Starter Store.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 09:09:12 2019

This disaster is still going on, this seller is reporting that eBay has not fixed the problems.

-BEFORE-RENEWAL-OR-YOU-ARE/m-p/30121514#M1467046

I also see credits still coming through on my accounts, but have no idea what I really owe eBay or if the invoices will ever be rendered properly in the future, this is why eBay should be barred by the government from automatically initiating any charges with software scripts. This company can not be trusted under Devin Wenig.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 09:22:31 2019

GTC is the single WORST move eBay has made in my near 22 years on site. Plus the 30 days are renewing at non exact times. I had a bunch renew 12 hours early when I was trying to manually cancel them at 30 days. For first time ever I am looking at alternative sites for selling

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Aug 12 12:52:11 2019

To my knowledge there are two separate problems.  The one I described above which IS the problem discussed in the Weekly Chat.  And the one that has listings renew about 24 hours in advance of their renewal date.  Two completely different problems.  The first one is fixed per the Weekly Chat.  I'm not sure of the status of the latter problem.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 19:37:03 2019

Adapt or die applies, even to ebay.
If you have a store, why would you max out your listings?
Leave a cushion...if you have an auto re-list, you're not charged.
And if you are maxed out, monitor your dogs and cancel before the auto renewal date.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 20:12:47 2019

@ebayout, that does not work when eBay is relisting items that are not near the end date, this is a major fraud, there is not other way to describe it, the morons at eBay claim it is all fixed, they have no idea what they are talking about, Tyler the eBay goon on their forums, if you read the thread I linked to above made the false claim that all is well.

He has no idea what he is talking about as the seller that made the post I linked to has responded to Tyler in the thread saying the very same thing I have said from the start and what other sellers have said for nearly a month, the ending times are out of order on eBay, this is a massive fraud worked by Temkin and Wenig.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 20:51:30 2019

@Shill buster...
I am no fan of eBay's corporate shenanigans.
That being said...I gave up a basic store in favor of a starter store. The 10% discount no longer made economic sense.
That was in January. I've maxed out my listings once, with no auto-relist abuse.
Point being...why isn't EVERYONE affected?

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 20:59:16 2019

Every seller was burned, you just have not noticed it, non store seller accounts were overbilled untold millions (no one knows if it is 500 million or 200 million, but it is a lot), those with Store selling accounts were also hit, they took those listings off of their allotted listings, many never noticed, but they will soon.

If a store seller was out of listings, they then would have been billed just like a non store seller for cash to relist.

Non-store sellers lost their free listings this month also as eBay was hitting every account, stores and non-stores listings were deducted, sellers do not watch their accounts as they should, but they will from now on.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 22:27:05 2019

@Shill Buster...
Here's how the cow ate the cabbage.
I HATE paying ebay fees, I check my account on a regular basis...3,4 times a week.
I haven't seen a SINGLE re-listing fee that I didn't initiate.
Am I the lone exception to a universal phenomenon? Back at ya...

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 22:51:13 2019

Yeah OK, you better go read all the threads on the eBay forums, there are dozens of them, they got you, you missed it.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 13 09:03:07 2019

eBay is so screwed up that even Tyler their team member on the forum has no idea what is going on, this automated Good Til Canceled fee generation script is still running out of control to this very day, it was never fixed, eBay still is billing massive amounts of fraud to sellers nearly a month into this Titanic disaster.

There is 1 way to fix this, fire Devin Wenig, reverse all of his loony ideas and policies now. Store owners are being burned big time, see the thread linked below.

ting-Problem/m-p/30125486#M44753

-BEFORE-RENEWAL-OR-YOU-ARE/m-p/30124936#M1467431

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 14 10:19:07 2019

I just got off the phone with an eBay representative, I asked them about the July bill from one of my accounts, note that this rep was calling back from a tab I clicked on the call back form related to invoicing and fees.

When I asked about the status of my July invoice she could not provide an answer on anything related to it but the amount, she had no idea when and if it would ever be executed against my bank account.

This is they type of fraud eBay is engaged in within their billing department, they have no idea what they are even charging millions of sellers accounts because the workers are overwhelmed with calls from millions of sellers wanting to know the status of their eBay accounts.

In other words, they have no idea what they are doing and I asked the lady why are you even talking to customers if you have no idea of what to tell them other than giving them a line of BS.

1 2 3  [Next Page]