Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Apr 9 2019 00:37:49

eBay Adds PayPal to Managed Payments

eBay has finally integrated PayPal into Managed Payments, but on a limited basis - in fact, we looked at a handful of sellers who are enrolled in the program, and PayPal is not yet appearing as a payment option for their listings.

Last July, eBay had told sellers it would take over managing payment-processing on its site from PayPal starting in September, but would allow buyers to use numerous payment methods. However, the initial version of eBay Managed Payments lacked many features - and most critically, shoppers could not use PayPal to purchase from sellers enrolled in Managed Payments.

On Monday, eBay announced it had made progress with integrating PayPal into the managed payments flow.

eBay Vice President of Global Payments, Billing & Risk Alyssa Cutright said in a post on the eBay corporate blog:

"We've also made great progress on the integration of PayPal on the managed payments platform and, starting today, we are making PayPal available in managed payments. We are starting small and, in the coming weeks, we will continue to test and scale this feature to ensure a seamless and successful seller and buyer experience."

It's not clear exactly how soon *all* sellers currently enrolled in Managed Payments can start to accept PayPal.

Let us know what you're seeing as a buyer - and if you're a seller, let us know how the transition goes for you and your buyers.

Perminate Link for eBay Adds PayPal to Managed Payments   eBay Adds PayPal to Managed Payments

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Apr 9 06:02:23 2019

Will eBay be making buyers pay the PayPal money grab for order cancellations?  Why should sellers have to pay this when a buyer quickly changes his/her mind?

The recent PayPal announcement induced instant loathing of the company in me.

Bring back the restock fee eBay. It's only fair.   This money grab by PayPal is also yet another way a competitor can sabotage someones business.   While there may be no metrics penalty there would be a financial hit.

by: seb This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 9 09:18:17 2019

I will not use managed payments. I tried to purchase an item with PayPal but managed payment was only option. When I would not enter a credit card my payment window disappeared and I was NOT committed to purchase. I had written the seller and asked if they accepted PayPal. They wrote back the next day and asked me to send them my email address and they would send me an invoice to pay through PayPal. Sorry, but I will not break eBay rules to purchase with PayPal, I purchased from a seller who does accept PayPal even though I had to pay a little more for item. I did not use my coupon for eBay shipping materials last quarter because only option to purchase was managed payments. I have an eBay store but I do not want to use managed payments unless my customers can still pay with PayPal. If I am forced to use managed payments and can not use PayPal, I will no longer purchase or sell on eBay and I have been here since 1998. In the past, I have had my identity stolen twice, I trust PayPal but not managed payments.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Apr 9 10:37:30 2019

So you rewarded eBay with a higher commission fee because you were frightened of letting a seller send you an invoice?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Apr 9 10:42:21 2019

Great for buyers but still bad for sellers!

It's going to be a sad day if eBay takes longer then 1 day to send me my funds for postage. . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Apr 9 10:53:44 2019

I would pay eBay $20 a month to keep things the way they are.

I need & use Paypal as my daily money.

I only carry cash like 1 or 2 days a month, the rest of the time I use my Paypal debit card. . .

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 9 11:14:38 2019

"We are starting small and, in the coming weeks, we will continue to test and scale this feature to ensure a seamless and successful seller and buyer experience."

WHAT?

That BRILLIANT statement comes from "eBay Vice President of Global Payments, Billing & Risk Alyssa Cutright said in a post on the eBay corporate blog"

Is she 3 or is it the increased amount of POT haze now that its legal in CA that made her statement?

eBay has had Paypal integration for over a decade, what is there to test & scale?

What hidden lawyer BS are they hiding with that statement?

Why does this moron even have that job? Is she the risk?

Are they afraid that if they integrate Paypal, Paypal will spy on them?

They wouldnt have to go through ANY of this - if they hadnt lied to every one for the last 10 years about how Paypal is the best, fastest, safest etc in the universe for online sales .......

Another day, another eBay fabrication.

(Alyssa spent 10 years at Wells Fargo Bank)(you know - the bank that defrauded all those customers ... but why worry about THAT?)(nvestors are pushing proposals to rein in Wells Fargo (WFC), and activists are organizing protests slamming the bank for countless consumer abuses.

They have a lot to complain about. Over the past year and a half, the bank has admitted to creating fake accounts, hitting customers with unfair mortgage fees and charging people for car insurance they didn't need.

The scandals have prompted changes in leadership and hefty fines.)

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 9 12:57:35 2019

I completely stopped buying on ebay. 100% of the retail items I have bought on ebay in the last 2 years have come from Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart, or Sams Club. With a large portion of orders cancelled when they were out of stock on the respective site they were for sale on. There is no point in paying a premium to a middle man seller to shop for me just so I can be loyal to "ebay" who has no loyalty to me.

I am even thinking about getting a prime membership.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 10 06:10:42 2019

I have to sell things to get money to buy things - since there are no more sales for me on eBay whatever monies I can eek out won't be spent there as well. I used to just "shut up" roll with the punches and move on - no more.

by: EyeFlipDaily This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 01:30:26 2019

@seb - you do realize that entire paragraph equates to zero progress ... if you wont accept managed payments, then, your competitor(s) will GLADLY step-in after your absence.

by: EyeFlipDaily This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 01:31:24 2019

@ toolguy: sounds like you need to adapt or drown

by: EyeFlipDaily This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 01:33:51 2019

Poshmark, Mercari, Amazon ... all successful marketplaces ... ALL of which utilize some sort of in-house "managed payment" system from a seller point-of-view ...

Amazon pays out every 2 weeks
Posh & Mercari pays out after buyer accepts the item & rates you, THEN, you have to manually request a payout which could take another 1-3 business days.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Apr 11 01:56:26 2019

This is one of the first times that Ebay has been ahead of schedule.  Last year Ebay said we would have PP accepted in the MP program by summer of 2019.  Spring has just started and they are rolling it out so they can test to see if changes are needed.  It appears they will be on schedule for once.

Still the MP program has some serious other hurtles that need to be addressed and fixed before I would ever enter the program voluntarily.

by: hawk This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 07:41:01 2019

no venue , person , or any type of thief should ever ,ever , ever have the right to manage anyone's money for any reason on earth. how do these arrogant bas***ds get away with it ??

if we tried it , we would be in jail.

by: seb This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 09:14:08 2019

Everyone has an opinion. I will not use managed payments. I have had my identity stolen twice, I trust PayPal but not managed payments. I did not have the seller who only accepts managed payments send me a personal invoice through PayPal because that is buying outside of eBay and that is against eBay rules.

by: ib30667 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 10:39:03 2019

@seb I hear ya! I don't want to use managed payments either. I have never had a problem with PayPal. And most sites are going to a "managed payments" type system (Bonanza is one that hasn't yet but they have ZERO traffic and have no intentions of correcting that). Right now I have nothing listed online anywhere. Going to try local vendor sales, flea markets and such. Plus, with the added burden of charging sales tax....that's another headache. I don't even hit the threshold for that and it's still going to be a PITA!
Online selling isn't what it used to be, that's for sure!

by: John Turner This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 23 14:42:49 2019

This Managed Payments power move is that last bite to the feeding hand -- the one that tells us that the old, blind, hurting dog that is eBay wants to go to the vet one last time.

Anybody still shopping habitually on eBay instead of Amazon is doing so for the combined eBay and PayPal, not the eBay service alone. eBay without PayPal is a null set to loyal buyers.

Public education and outreach on this migration have been absent, it's a blindside to all users. They've had since last September to educate the buyers, and now the buyers are upset with sellers for springing this on them.

This is also a power play from a position of weakness. As a buyer I do keep credit-card info on file with Amazon. They asked nicely. Would I do the same with eBay? Not if they try to wrestle me for it.

Not if most pro eBay sellers are already migrated to Amazon, not if Alibaba sells the ePacket PRC stuff cheaper, and not if 20+ years of eBay best practices counts for nothing with current management.

So the 20-year-old dog is hurting and tired and wants to die. Who are we to deny it eternal rest?