Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Nov 25 2019 16:44:20

What Should eBay Do with Billions from StubHub Sale?

eBay is selling its StubHub ticket-resale marketplace for $4.05 billion, nearly a year after activist investor Elliott Management forced its way into the picture and recommended eBay consider selling StubHub, eBay Classifieds, and possibly the eBay marketplace itself.

The acquiring company, viago, is headed by StubHub cofounder Eric Baker, who had left before eBay acquired StubHub in 2007 for $310 million.

eBay's Scott Schenkel, who took over as interim CEO after Devin Wenig's departure on September 25th, said the eBay leadership team and Board of Directors "concluded that this was the best path forward for both eBay and StubHub" and said it maximized long-term value for eBay shareholders.

Schenkel told CNBC that proceeds from the deal will be put toward stock buybacks, dividends and M&A investing.

Think there's any room for eBay to "spare a square" for customers? What would you ask for as a buyer and as a seller? After all, helping buyers buy and sellers sell is also adding value for shareholders.

Perminate Link for What Should eBay Do with Billions from StubHub Sale?   What Should eBay Do with Billions from StubHub Sale?

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu Nov 28 11:24:13 2019

@Silver Ice King

You are right of course. It would be disastrous to make any changes during this period, but I do hope it's not too long into January that some announcement happens. Nothing was going to change with Schenkel at the helm. He's probably been told to sit. He certainly has been told not to talk. Somewhat of a good sign.

I pray to god it's a brilliant techno business guru who truly knows who eBay's customers really are.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 28 11:51:06 2019

Well, in a perfect world - they would fix the mess they have created with the BASE web company and let it be what it WAS!!!!  As I said, in a perfect world. I am so tired of having 2 or 3 days of sales and then going dark for 2 or 3 days. Turn our stores on and let us sell. When WE sell YOU make money. Seems one of your bean counters could have figured this out by now!!!!

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 28 12:13:05 2019

JohnGermaine, eBay stores are suffering from programming errors for years now since they changed the platform yet again, a lot of sellers do not know that stores are served on a different domain, I have seen a recent error message from my browser.

eBaystores.com is not responding

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 28 17:41:39 2019

@ toolguy

Don't tell me you do not experience any kind of glitches. I come across them weekly and most of the time have to ignore them do to lack of time or the waste of time when I call them about it.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 28 19:11:45 2019

Tool

Appreciate the reply - but it didnt answer any of the questions I asked you.

Let me try again (in between pieces of turkey)

"1st off 99.9% of eBay businesses can't survive on 2-3 sales a week." ... ok so what does that have to do with anything?

"In the 19+ years I've been a full time seller at no time did my sales dip to 2-3 a week. Maybe You have experienced that , I have not"

Ive been a seller since 1998, and I dont buy used tools from some municipal auction site and resell them on eBay. I am a (mostly) direct account with some of the largest electronics companies IN THE WORLD. They include Casio, Marshall and many others.THANKFULLY between a real job and Amazon - what eBay does is less relevant each and every day.

" I sell US made Aircraft Tools not chinese headphones!" ... Again - where Sony, Pioneer, Nikon, Canon or Casio make their goods has no bearing on anything. If you want giant overseas companies to come to the USA and make goods here - tell the unions that they shouldnt demand $35/hr salaries with HUGE benefits and maybe they will. But in any case its not relevant to this discussion.

My reply to you NEVER said that eBay tells you what to sell - they just tell you EVERYTHING ELSE - and you ignored what I wrote.

eBay controls EVERY part of the listing process - item descriptions, pictures, GTC aka listing duration - are those things not applicable in your old tools? They may not have UPC numbers (mine do so its not a big deal to add them) - but if you skip item details or put smaller then 500x500 pics in ect - they tell you NO.

You can change handling times - but if you go over - you get punished - so you DONT have control. People (even sellers) have REAL lives - that some times come BEFORE shipping some guy somewhere some tool or even a headphone or a radio. eBays obsession with matching Amazon in shipping speed and giving you a LATE SHIPPING DSR - which can ruin your account IS control over you.

""Are your listings visible (since you pay for them) 24/7/365? No"

For alot of people - they arent - myself included. eBay hides or puts on page 3 (even if you are priced better) your item IF THEY FEEL LIKE IT - no rhythm or reason, its Cassini (cant see me) at its best. Go back to when it was implemented (ask Ina if you cant find the info) - eBay OPENLY says Cassini was created for control - this isnt new news.

""Does eBay decide returns for you?"

eBay doesn't have to decide for me, I accept ALL returns. "

I used to have 14 day returns and while they were "OK", there wasnt the flood that was created when eBay FORCED (you seem to miss that point) 30 days on people.

If you (buyer) cant figure out if an item works when you get it - you have bigger fish to fry then buying stuff on eBay.

"Pace306, someday you might realize that I have sold WAY more on eBay then you have both in the number of items and GMV."

Highly unlikely but even if true ... so what? You items COST more then mine do and you arent direct with anyone, you dont go to buying shows, you have no industry contacts - none of that - so Im not sure why you think you have "more" but ok - cest la vie.

"And I'm a small fish, and you're a smaller fish. We just happen to both be swimming in the eBay ocean." - I dont know what you are. Some days you cry about how you hate eBay, then they give you a sale or 2 and you want to be DWs god child - hard to figure out.

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 28 19:12:43 2019

@Toolguy, I wouldn't consider a company bent on profiting by stealing and playing games a success. Evil winning over good is never a successful venture.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Nov 28 19:35:51 2019

@donald

What type of "glitches"?

@purpleiris

How is it stealing? You know the fees and rules before you list an item.

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 28 20:21:44 2019

Make some real improvements to ebay that benefit the sellers.  Cut your fees to 5% instead of 10%.  Do away with "Make me an offer"  so the sellers can actually sell their items at a reasonable good and profitable price.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Nov 28 20:35:22 2019

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on this forum & especially to our host David & Ina Steiner.

We may not all agree on everything but what we can agree on is that this forum keeps us all informed on what's happening in ecommerce.

I leave you with today's snowstorm in Southern California

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 28 22:57:02 2019

How is it stealing? You know the fees and rules before you list an item.

Tool, eBay has stolen 500 million to a Billion dollars that they never will fully refund on the Good Til Canceled automated fee generation script that they are still having problems with to this very day since they can't show sellers proper ending dates in Seller Hub, that means they are defrauding sellers who have no idea when their listings are expiring so they can end them before getting ripped off by Devin's and Temkin's criminal scheme.

By the way Tool, millions of sellers knew the rules, eBay changed them without being able to implement software that even worked as they were busted relisting items before they even ended, the result was hundreds of millions of dollars of billing fraud.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Nov 29 11:03:34 2019

@pace306

"and I dont buy used tools from some municipal auction site and resell them on eBay."

Neither do I, I buy my tools from Boeing, Lockheed & the US Government.

"eBay controls EVERY part of the listing process - item descriptions, pictures, GTC aka listing duration - are those things not applicable in your old tools?"

How does eBay "control" my description, I write it they DON'T?
How does eBay "control" my pictures? I pick them, eBay DOES not.

"Alot of us DONT as we arent a rental business. %99 of all returns Ive ever gotten were NOT defective in any way. I DONT accept returns - dont use my item on vacation or drop it in water or sand - then tell me its "defective".

My customers are of a BETTER caliber. . . .Most airplane guys have more class then to use items as "rentals"

Pace, the bottom line is you'll be eBay bitter until you die, I on the other hand work with what I got, I'm a survivor. . . . If the power were to go out I would have NO problem surviving while most folks would parish. . . .I choose to keep a positive outlook on whatever I do in life. Sure sometimes I get upset with eBay just I do with my wife of 32 years. . .But in the end I always work thru it.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Nov 29 11:10:35 2019

@ESB

"Tool, eBay has stolen 500 million to a Billion dollars that they never will fully refund on the Good Til Canceled automated fee generation"

That's just silly talk, if you knew anything about business you would realize your numbers are pie out of the sky high. . . .

I'll give you $5-$15 million on your GTC fiasco but not a penny more!

$1 billion ~ ROTFLMAO

You do realize that eBay doesn't even make near that much on all insertion fees for a whole year!

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 29 11:51:16 2019

@tool...imagine you're just starting out, setting things up the way you want, paying for every nickel and dime they charge you, only to have them recommend AFTER listing that you NOT do some things. So you turn those things off within less than a minute of listing it and they still charge you for what THEY just recommended you turn off and now won't get unless you pay for it again.

That's theft.

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 29 11:54:18 2019

Oh, and $40 in fees later...I sold absolutely nothing. That was my first and last attempt at eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Fri Nov 29 16:01:35 2019

5% extortion money grab for returns that ebay dictates from A to Z - Theft

Auto GTC renew - Theft

Promoted Listings and only showing one instance instead of both the promoted and non promoted - Theft

Charging a fee on the shipping cost - Theft

Hiding paid for listings as stated in the UA - Theft

Keeping part or all of the negotiated USPS vig - Theft

When glitches eliminate visibility including the latest clothing specifics train wreck and ebay does nothing to make sellers whole - Theft

Forcing sellers to take bogus returns thereby forcing sellers to lose their hard earned money to scumbags, scammers and criminals that permeate ebay - Theft

Putting a hold on payments while collecting interest - Theft

Delaying funds transfer into seller's accounts while collecting interest - Theft

Looking the other way and collecting millions in fees while buyers around the world are deceived and cheated from counterfeit purchases - Theft

I'm sure there are pages upon pages of other examples. The whole culture of ebay is just wrong. It's an amoral and deceptive company who refuses to speak a word of plain English. Who doesn't lift a finger to protect sellers. Who stabs sellers in the back at every turn and who's only loyalty is to the dollar.

Personal attitudes good or bad towards ebay doesn't change the fact that they are a vile, greedy criminal organization and always will be. I guess it's up to each individual to weigh the pros and cons, rate their level of tolerance for dishonesty and make a decision to continue to do business with them or not.

by: P.Dorf This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 29 16:22:19 2019

Well, they've started spending money on top notch programming.

They have just informed me that a seller is posting an item.
Said item was delivered 2 weeks ago (was even informed by ebay it had been delivered).

Gawd help us all!

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 29 17:28:50 2019

"Schenkel mentioned plans for merger and acquisition activity "

This says it all. They are buying back shares to hold a controlling interest in order to be in a position to sell the company. They have 7.8 billion in debt, with the cash from the sale it puts them a present 400 million +.

There has been no indication that they are looking to improve the marketplace. It seems Schenkel has been speding most of his time in his position crafting and tending to the sale of Stub Hub.

I doubt the reverse that they would be looking to acquire another company, especially since stub hum was doing well. You can forget about them going into selling tickets on ebay, I am sure there was something in the agreement barring them from selling tickets thru the ebay site.

I would hate to see a merger between Shopify and ebay. I am sure the thought has crossed ebay's mind, (all that potential cash they could charge, nickel and diming customers.) "Hey, we could fleece these people and make a ton of cash while destroying the biz"

It would be nice if Alibaba bought ebay. Alibaba has done great since it started, and doesnt look like they are slowing down.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Nov 29 20:27:31 2019

eBay ~ Theft

Using eBay when you know they steal from you ~ Stupid

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Nov 29 20:33:34 2019

eBay Gripe

Customer bought 3 items and eBay made him pay for each one individually.

See, I have problems too. . . . . . .

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 30 19:05:02 2019

Tool

You'll please pardon me- but didnt you JUST SAY "They are far from being perfect but gave the average Joe Lunch Bucket a chance at being their own boss."

So are YOU your own boss?

Obviously NOT if "Now I have to refund shipping on 2 of the 3 items because it can go for 1 price.

See, I have problems too."

You cant even control your OWN SHIPPING!

Its not about being argumentative - its simply the truth.

Selling on eBay should be NO DIFFERENT then opening a store at a mall.

The mall owners dont tell you what to sell, how to display the items, they dont control how your buyers pay you, they dont control your returns policies, they dont tell you that you cant contact your own buyers!

I doubt that if you opened a store you would accept that kind of behavior - and your own complaint about eBay above - APTLY demonstrates - that you/me/us are in control of very little.

As an aside - did you know that eBays UA specifically states that all sales are between the 2 parties (buyer/seller) and that eBay isnt part or party to it?

If thats the case - why are they involved in so many parts of the sale.

"MYOB" is the way it needs to be - the way it was when Mr Suoer chicken (cause hes afraid to open his mouth now that eBay is doing so poorly) sold his broken laser pointer.

In todays eBay he couldnt even make that sale - times have SURELY changed havent they?

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]