Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri Oct 18 2019 21:30:08

eBay Still Working to Fix Broken Item Specifics

eBay made progress on the technical issues that hit the site on Tuesday, it announced this evening, but some sellers on the eBay discussion boards said they have already spent many hours working to fix their listings.

eBay explained that on October 15, it rolled out changes meant to make it easier for buyers to find items and give sellers guidance about Item Specifics. One example: "the various item specifics that represent size in the sub-categories of clothing, shoes and accessories (ie: Size (women's), Size (men's)) were updated and consolidated into one normalized item specific - size."

During the rollout, some of the Item Specifics in some categories did not update correctly. As a result, some listings were blocked during re-list or revision. "In addition, the new, required field is showing up as blank and the listing appears incomplete. This issue also created a problem in search, with the new item specifics not appearing in the left hand navigation search filter," eBay wrote.

On Wednesday, a seller wrote on the eBay boards, "I sold exactly NOTHING today. Thank you e(LAME)Bay! And I have spent ALL DAY fixing my listings which were perfectly in compliance until you decided to break everything in the clothing, shoes, and accessories department. I only have about 1000 more listings to fix. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I don't know if this is worse than when you lost all of our photos, but this is quite up there!"

In an update on Thursday, eBay advised sellers they did not need to fill in Item Specifics that were blank as a result of the glitch, but some sellers remained unsure about heeding that advice.

"I am left unsure whether I should or shouldn't make the fixes myself manually. I sure as heck don't have time for it," a seller wrote. "I spent 12 doing manual fixes before eBay finally posted the recent updated announcement. I stopped and breathed a sigh of relief when I read they would take care of it, but now I am not sure. Should I fix the remaining listings eBay messed up for me or not?"

In this evening's announcement (October 18), eBay again stated that sellers did not need to revise those Item Specifics that remained empty, and it provided the following additional information:

- The left hand navigation filters are now fully restored with all available item specifics. Your listings will appear in all relevant search results when using the left hand navigation filters.

- To ensure the required item specific doesn't continue to appear as blank, we are working to copy the old item specifics values directly into the new required item specific. For example, in fashion, copy the old item specifics Size (Women's), Size (Men's) directly into the new item specifics *Size*. We will provide an update on this on Monday.

- Your listing is no longer blocked from being re-listed or revised because the required item specific is blank. Behind the scenes we have mapped the new item specific to the original item specific.

- Left hand navigation filters are fully restored with all available item specifics. Your listing will appear in all relevant search results when using the left hand navigation filters.

You can find Friday's full announcement on this eBay Announcement Board post.

Perminate Link for eBay Still Working to Fix Broken Item Specifics   eBay Still Working to Fix Broken Item Specifics

by: notfunanymore This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 19 07:08:02 2019

Ok, so their update screws up existing listings and then blocks those very same listings because they are incomplete? Do I read that correctly? Sounds like more consistency from eBay. If so, Why is anyone surprised?

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Sat Oct 19 09:23:27 2019

"it rolled out changes..."

That's all I needed to read. Between the rows and rows of ads and the full page item specifics, listings have become a chaotic train wreck.

ebay daily change frenzies have complicated and broken every single crevice of the seller experience, it's infrastructure and it's business save for the logo which I'm sure is next. And almost none of it has been necessary yet it just on keeps coming. It really is a sickness.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 19 11:19:43 2019

Does ebay not have a beta site to test changes? Or is there no one at ebay smart enough to spot errors and discrepancies on that site?

by: lancecorp This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 19 11:29:23 2019

Problem is - for those kicked off the boards - and it is many good posters and long time sellers - hey can't access the announcement board because they are on suspended for a period or banned. Ebay should rant access to announcements regardless of activity on the boards.

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 19 11:40:17 2019

Ebay has never invested heavily in their infrastructure thus their technology and coding is old and antiquated. Every tech change creates unintended consequences (that's why there's so many glitches).  CEO's were too busy thinking short term and maximizing profits rather than spending money for long term prosperity. Expect Ebay's Q3 earnings report better than expected

by: Jairib This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 19 11:49:46 2019

This is getting so old.  For those of us left on the ghost town formerly known as ebay, I just don't think it is a lot to ask to have a working site to sell on.   Afterall, what are we paying them for? They used to only update 2 times a year AFTER they beta tested it. Now they continuously update the site from February through October (the beginning of Q4) something they said they would not do.  Every time they update, they do it without testing, the site totally glitches out, and sales drop exponentially. And this year they have not recovered, they just keep dropping.  And now they want to take charge of our money too, how do you think that will work out.  I heard that managed payments was screwed up all last week and not one payout was sent & ebay of course is blaming it on the banks. They don't admit it when things go wrong until it is beyond deniable, they keep saying they are working on it, and generally they can't fix it (or won't) and it causes more work for us.  When I first started it was so easy, list it, sell it.And you made money. Now it takes all my time, listing, revising, relisting, revising, etc.  And my listings aren't showing most of the time.  Listed a popular item and it oly had 9 views for the month?  9 views-wtf ebay?  Get it together.  And now you are farming out the search engine to college students to fix?  Just how do you think that is going to work out?

by: industrystones This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 19 12:43:26 2019

JUST tried relisting my items (every SAT) . . . . .

It’s not you. It’s us.

What a heaping pile of fecal matter. This site is atrocious at this point. Always something broken on any level. Thank God i don't depend on this site like others do.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 19 15:33:22 2019

This has to be a perfect example of the many reasons that Devin Wenig is no longer CEO of eBay.

No responsible manager would allow program updates and programming to take place on a live platform. Especially when your business is dependent on reliable functioning of that platform.

There is just no excuse for issues for this magnitude to be happening at a company the size and with the experience of eBay. Yet it continues after nearly a solid year of these types of problems.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 19 15:54:53 2019

"Note that sellers shouldn't expect an update over the weekend - eBay said its next update would come on Monday."

so does that mean on Monday a lot more junk on fleecebay will be broken?

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 19 19:52:10 2019

''so does that mean on Monday a lot more junk on fleecebay will be broken?''

That's probably one part of it...The more likely expectation is it will be a slow weekend. Monday is shaping up to be a light shipping day for me. 2 sales Friday, 3 today....all under $20.00. My ASP bounces around $40. Sales have been averaging 4-5 per day. The latter is a decline in itself.

Something is up. I just know that I am getting tired of this.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 19 22:46:31 2019

"It’s not you. It’s us.
Our server is down, but we’ll have things back to normal soon. If you still need help, visit our help pages."

Ive gotten that screen a few times over the last 2-3 days.

This horrible 3rd grade ecommerce attempt (company) is making me go through every listing to change HUNDREDS of things (it desperately needs to know the ink color of a black pen) .. because I needed to change HANDLING time on my listings.

Doing so (from 1 to 2 days), made eBays listing process go bonkers. It gave me an average of 10 red errors per listing (in the specifics) that needed to be corrected or else I couldnt complete the process.

As it stands now, 1/2 my listings have 1 day, the other 1/2 2 days - because unless I fix each of the 10 or so "errors" in each listing - it cant be reverted back from the 2 day time to the 1 day time (since the listings are "in violation of some silly eBay rules due to missing details".

How sad in 2019 that the supposed 2nd largest ecommerce company can screw up things like this - and with ZERO remorse.

You can bet every penny if it was eBay getting hurt they would lash out and take even more stolen funds (like they do with returns metrics).

BTW - EPIC FAIL #1 for that Jordan idiot that came back from Walmart ... he probably wished he didnt by now.

by: b86fiero This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 20 12:11:57 2019

@Jairib - Not sure where you heard no managed payments payouts were sent last week but that rumor is incorrect.

I am in managed payments and never missed receiving a daily payout.  They come in like clockwork to my designated bank account.  Other sellers in managed payments also report no issues on the designated MP Group discussion board.

Yes, some sellers do indeed have issues which I would never discount and offer my sympathy and hope that the problem resolves quickly.  A true nightmare when your money is in a cyber holder pattern.

Not being an eBay cheerleader here, just wanted to offer my experience.  I agree, there are tons of glitches, wrong headed policies, updates that explode and myriad other issues affecting sellers every day.  Certainly hope the current interim and the future CEO find the talent to fix the ongoing disasters.  In my lifetime.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Oct 20 13:55:51 2019

It is now a never ending source of extreme frustration.and this will never ever end. Simple little things that should work don't. Trying to reach customer service (I know, I should never do it on a Sunday). Had them call me. Wouldn't accept 1 on my cell phone, so I was disconnected. Funny thing, the return call was immediate.

So I call them with Defect as the reason for the call. I have to go through a spiel with the nobrain commuter who starts to instruct me how to get feedback removed. At the end it asks, Did this solve your problem? Answer No. I say Defect. It says Defect and goes back into spiel of getting feedback removed.

Finally back to "Did this solve your problem" NO NO NO NO. I start screaming customer service agent agent Oh God please help me. My husband runs up the stairs thinking I'm having a stroke.

I'm still on hold 20 minutes later. Weird HUH. A call to me was immediate, but I call..... on hold on hold SNZZZZZZZZZZZ ARRGGGHHH

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Oct 20 14:39:20 2019

Just doing some poking around at eBay Inc. What bothered me quite a bit was the statement regarding Scott Schenkel.
"since 2015, leading finance, analytics and information technology"

Information Technology????? So they make him interim head and the site is an absolute disaster. Things are worse since 2015. Granted, I'm sure their financial situation is probably a zillion times worse (if that's possible) compared to the sorry state of the platform.

Another side note. Pierre Omidyar divested 9.6 million of stock in August 2019, not reported to the SEC until September 17th. BUT....at zero price????? (Keep in mind, he still owns 35,764,858, but that's still a big chunk.)

They are all truly insane.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Oct 21 09:48:48 2019

As mentioned many times on this venue I love eBay search, but the site has been out of whack lately. I tried looking for drapes several days ago and drape length was completely missing in the item specifics. Plus, new listings had some oddball item-specific options. eBay engineers love to tinker when mastery and consistency would provide some much-needed ballast to their fluid and ever-changing shopping experience.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 21 18:43:47 2019

No issues with what I sell. Nothing is broken.

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 22 15:25:16 2019

From the "chat" on Monday:

Thank you @dhbookds First, I completely agree. During the deployment, we hit and issue with the dependencies between size type and size (Big & Tall - > 3XL) for 5 categories. To clear the way for the deployment to complete, we deleted the dependency. We have addressed the base issue which caused the problem and are currently taking another pass at the design for these dependencies so that we can re-enable. While there is no functional issue with either listings or filtering in search, it just looks bad. I'm measuring twice and cutting once before deploying again.

Can anyone decipher what this buffoon said?

by: Caroline1 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 22 19:26:03 2019