Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Jan 31 2019 14:54:40

eBay to Launch CPC Ads as It Seeks Revenue

eBay is planning to launch CPC ads for sellers who are willing to pay extra to promote their listings. eBay currently offers sellers Promoted Listing ads based only on a CPA model (cost per acquisition).

It's an important distinction. While sellers currently pay for eBay Promoted Listing ads only when ads result in a purchase, the CPC (cost per click) model would incur costs any time a shopper clicked on an ad, whether or not the shopper actually purchased the item.

eBay CEO Devin Wenig told Wall Street analysts on Wednesday that there was a demand for a CPC model, particularly for brands. "There's been demand for a CPC model to go along with the CPA model, and I would expect at some point during the year, we'll roll out a CPC model - for brands, in particular - to complement the CPA model."

The CEO also said eBay was planning to add API access to "first party" ads for larger sellers who don't use Seller Hub.

"The eBay algorithm should fully understand how to maximize every pixel on the screen," Wenig added, "and that's where we're moving to."

The CPC advertising model is not without risk. We recently heard from a seller on Etsy, which offers a CPC model rather than CPA. She had never used search ads before, and when she turned on the Etsy Promoted Listings ads on her account, she didn't realize it was set to a $200/day budget.

While some people might not be sympathetic, she made an interesting point: "Nobody would extend me that kind of credit," she said. So why would Etsy? Her case wasn't the first time we heard from sellers who ended up with high bills by accident. And just this week Etsy Promoted Listings experienced a glitch that impacted sellers, highlighting the fact these are not set-it-and-forget-it programs.

Let us know what you think of eBay Promoted Listings and if you'd be willing to try a cost-per-click model on an online marketplace.

Update 2/1/19: eBay is running a promotion on Promoted Listing ads, see today's Newsflash article for details.

Perminate Link for eBay to Launch CPC Ads as It Seeks Revenue   eBay to Launch CPC Ads as It Seeks Revenue

by: TDAKS This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 04:20:32 2019

CPC with eBay = CPC with Google = NO THANK YOU !!
Until such time when clicks from competitors can be filtered out ( as in we won't be charged ) I won't touch CPC with a barge pole. Filtering is not possible so I will stick with Promoted Listings.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 06:45:44 2019

Explain this to me.  If I as a buyer click a CPC(ad) for the seller's item, who pays?  Does the seller pay for the click.  So if there are 100 clicks (or views) the seller is charged for the clicks/views?  I stopped my sponsored listings, there's no way I'm going to pay for someone to "view" the item.  How stupid.  No one else does that.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 06:50:03 2019

"This is just another money grab. Sadly, many will pay, and pay, and pay, until they’re deep in debt."  Only the newbies.  The oldies like us won't fall for it.  But....Ebay wants us to leave their site and not sell online anyway.  Which is what I'm doing.  I'm getting 3Xs more sales on AMZ, Merc, and Posh.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 09:48:51 2019

IF you sell ooak, old, vintage, 'long tail' goods, THIS click ad stuff is bad news.
Say you sign up, pay for clicks, but, it doesn't sell.
Just looky-loos.
Each click you pay for also demotes you in search.
That's because 'Cassini' views items that are looked at, but, not bought, as undesirable.
In effect, you'll be paying to push your items further down in search.
Pay per clicks works for commodities, GTC, that seldom change.
Think batteries.
People will always need them, and, you can have a thousand listed.
Then, clicks, buys, on a GTC give it a boost.
On ooak, where you have one, there is no advantage to pay per click.

by: moto-science This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 11:14:13 2019

For whatever reason sales on Ebay are down 60% in 2019 so far. We pay for marketing already to list on Ebay. CPC is wet dream for Ebay. Why don't they fix the active listings portal ? make it fast and liquid. Waiting for refresh is tedious and ridiculous for a company with the IT resources Ebay has.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 5 07:22:22 2019

I would never pay for clicks, no matter whether it is Google or Ebay. I ran a test and posted some of my books on Twitter. I got over 1400 looks in one week and something like 5000 in 30 days. Lots of looks, but no sales. Imagine what I would have paid in click money if I had been paying for those looks. CLICK ads are just hype the CEOs came up with to rip sellers off. With Brand Names it may be different as they have an advertising budget and need the write off. Small sellers need sales. Folks need to quit jumping into every deal these yo yo heads create. Keep in mind they are basically selling hot air.

by: Ebay Little Shop of Horrors This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 6 10:50:30 2019

I have to feel sympathy for these sellers who choose pay per click. Hasn't ebay beat them up enough?

I'm on a phone. Listing is so much easier. Computer: gone. Laptop: at my son's house. I love it. I'm not writing code. What do I need all those extension cords for?

Every day, and I mean every-single-day, I accidentally click on one of those pay-per-click ads at least four times.

The eye goes to the right. Marketing knows this. The ad is merged with the scroll down arrow. I feel embarrassed just knowing how these innocent sellers are being exploited.

by: Casmige This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 21 15:43:24 2019

Winig?? there's only a demand for unproductive CPC when it lines your personal pocket you fiendish thimble-rigging skulduggery-thug. resign already you cuck.

1 2