Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon July 16 2018 20:39:51

eBay Unveils Payments Beta on Anniversary of PayPal Split

We noted in our editorial this morning (available to email subscribers) that this is the 3-year anniversary of eBay's split with PayPal, meaning eBay would be able to start testing its own payments system on a small scale.

Hours later, eBay sent an email to sellers inviting them to participate in a beta trial that begins in September. And while it didn't provide information about the cost of using eBay Payments, it said there would be special pricing for those who opted in early. (Eventually it will become mandatory for all users.)

eBay had previously announced it would become a "payments intermediary," meaning that while buyers will continue to use various payment methods - including PayPal - they will pay eBay rather than paying sellers. eBay will then disburse payments to sellers. Read more in this January blog post.

Today, eBay positioned it as a "simpler" way to get paid: "Consolidated pricing: all your fees in one place on one bill, plus special pricing for early opt-in."

Sellers have expressed many concerns about eBay's forthcoming approach to payments. A key concern is how long it will take to receive their funds. eBay said there would be daily payouts, but it said "All cleared funds will generally be paid in a daily batch and directly to your bank account, regardless of how your buyer chooses to pay."

The words "cleared" and "generally" may give rise to concern.

One seller said they worried about what would happen to micro payments, which PayPal offers and makes it affordable to sell items at extremely low prices.

In its email today, eBay provided sellers with FAQs and invited them to take a survey to provide feedback. Here's what eBay sent to sellers:

Tell us what you want to learn about managing payments on eBay.
This will be a multi-year journey, and you've been invited to participate in the initial launch this fall. We want to keep you informed of our plans to manage payments. Before you sign up for managed payments, you may have questions. Here are answers to questions that may be on your mind

1) What are the key benefits?

- One place to sell and get paid: manage all your selling and payments needs from within your eBay account.

- Simpler bills: all your fees in one place on your eBay bill.

- Consolidated pricing: all your fees in one place on one bill, plus special pricing for early opt-in*.

- Daily payouts: direct to your bank account. No need to transfer funds between accounts.

- New ways for buyers to pay: such as mobile payments with Apple Pay.

- Better protection: claim and chargeback seller protections provided by eBay, with one place to manage disputes.

- More control: accept your exclusive invitation now to get a head start on adapting your business to selling and getting paid on eBay.

2) What will eBay's fees be?
In September 2018, you will receive an invitation to participate in our limited initial launch. To access the offer, you'll be prompted to sign in to your account for more information and specifics like fees and additional frequently asked questions.

3) How will I access my funds?
All cleared funds will generally be paid in a daily batch and directly to your bank account, regardless of how your buyer chooses to pay. From your bank account, you can access your funds directly, with no need to transfer funds between accounts. In addition, we're working with our financial partners to enable even more options for speedy access to your earnings.

4) What will I have to do to sign-up?
Your invitation in September will take you to a sign up page for a quick and easy enrollment process. After you enter a few personal details like preferred bank account for payouts and your social security number to verify your identity, we'll manage the rest. We will automatically update your existing account and listings and transfer your existing listings to the new payments model. For new listings, we'll ask you to use Seller Hub's listing page and any existing listings APIs you use.

We're still continuing to work on additional details. If you have other questions, please let us know what you'd like to know about managing payments.

What's most important to you as eBay begins managing payments? Select all that apply.

- How quickly I can access my funds.

- New forms of payment for my buyers.

- How returns and refunds will be managed.

- What protections eBay will extend to me.

- What the discounted pricing will be.

- Other

Please let us know if you have any other feedback. (Text box)

Please don't include any personal information, such as your name, address, phone or user ID in the fields above.

By using this feature and submitting feedback, suggestions or enhancements, you assign to eBay all right, title and interest to all associated proprietary rights worldwide, including without limitation, all patent, copyright, trade secret, trademark, moral right, rights of publicity, or other intellectual property rights.

Perminate Link for eBay Unveils Payments Beta on Anniversary of PayPal Split   eBay Unveils Payments Beta on Anniversary of PayPal Split

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 19:00:59 2018

To Whom It May Concern:
You ignore the history of ebay's change implementation at your own risk.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 19:32:04 2018

Sasi :)

A good detective solves crimes based on past patterns aka Modus Operandi.

Knowing what eBay has done in the past AND how they operate now = their abysmal reputation says that sellers will get a beating.

I assue that eBays doing Adyen for many reasons - Im not "just blind" that its either A) all peaches n cream B) because sellers want more payment choices and C) beyond the extra back end monies from all the charges (hidden and not hidden) that its about CONTROL.

I say these things after having entanglements with such "fine upstanding eBay institutions" like VERO .... NOT. Past experience(s) are almost always the indicator(s) of future behavior.

If you can steal $6500 from a seller and sleep well at night, its not hard to believe that eBay can and will do worse then that if given the opportunity.

Why do I still stay on eBay? because they are the #2 ecommerce platform (please try not to snicker at that) and because Amazon gates many brands in the area that I sell in (electronics).

You may have a few years on me - but I still expect honesty in business. I dont lie cheat or steal from you - dont do so to me, please (eBay).

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 19:44:44 2018

@Pace

Ive been on Ebay for 20 + years on ebay with more anchor stores right now than I really need. I've had my head butting with Ebay and Paypal over the years. But I've also had headbutting with my mortgage company and credit card company. Just because you butt heads and lose doesn't make them bad or you bad. Get over it.

As for the 6500.00 supposed steal from a seller. Two things strike me. One this article is almost 3 months old and if I'm not mistaken it was submitted by a third party. Something like through the grapevine. Fishie smell.
Second why would someone sell something for 6500.00 on ebay if ebay is so bad of a place to do business. If you can't afford to lose it don't list it.

So now I'm done with this subject as I have wasted enough time on it. Oh and thanks Marie. I know sometimes we butt heads but thanks.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 19:47:47 2018

With EBay's history of destroying and taking more from sellers you would have to be a complete naïve moron to ASSUME ebay will not screw over it's sellers again

More money for ebay, less money for sellers ,,,,,,,, I can absolutely guarantee it

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jul 17 19:49:25 2018

@Silver Ice King - If eBay's TOS states that a seller must provide access to their bank account to withdraw funds, such as in the event of a refund due for a returned item, and the seller agrees to the specifics of the TOS every time he/she signs into their account, then how can a bank state they need signed authorization from the account holder to remove money? Because I am sure if eBay needs to refund a buyer, they are not going to wait around for the seller to have funds waiting to be distributed before they refund the buyer. And if, as eBay states, they are making distributions daily, there could very well be a situation where a particular seller does not have the funds in their eBay Payments account that could be used to fund a refund.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 19:59:49 2018

All I can say is if eBay is over ruling the bank and withdrawing money for refunds, there will be a lot of us with bank overdrafts fees.

I know some of the sellers have checking accounts set up for their selling sites. They use them as holding their money / then clearing them into their own account that is not attached to any selling sites.

I need to do some checking.
Too bad my Signature means nothing in these days of computers.
I get so mad at the stores when I am charging something, not allowing me to sign the receipt.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 22:33:33 2018

" Just because you butt heads and lose doesn't make them bad or you bad. Get over it."

Funny ... I dont butt heads with either my mortgage co or my cc company ...

"get over it" .. now thats an adult response!

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 22:56:23 2018

@Iheartjacksparrow

The bank has zero obligation to honor anything from Ebay as far as a withdrawal if the account signor has not authorized withdrawals to be made electronically from that account.   My bank and most others that I am aware of require me to sign a document which states that they can honor any and all electronic withdrawals from my account and if i do not sign it all that can happen with that account is a transfer to my other account with that bank. So it does not matter what Ebays TOS or UA says as far as the bank is concerned.  Ebay may have to withhold future funds from the seller or sue them, but they cannot force the bank to release funds that they do not have the authorization from the account holder to release.  If the bank does so, they will be repaying the money to the account holder and reimbursing any overdraft fees that are also incurred because of it.  They could also wind up in trouble with various government banking agencies if they do that to often as that is a major internal control violation and can actually cause a bank to be fined at a minimum.

What happens between a bank and their customer is completely separate from anything that happens between Ebay and that same customer. If I have to deal with Ebay on this level of payment in the future I will definitely have that account set up to not allow any electronic withdrawals or debits of any kind other than a simple transfer to another one of my accounts.  It will also be blocked from receiving funds from any of my other accounts just in case there is a screwup so that Ebay can never touch my other monies.   I hope this better explains things for you.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 23:10:54 2018

@SASI

In regards to that $6500 ripoff that you say smells fishy I can guarantee you it is not as I have kept in touch off of Ebay with the seller of record and know a lot more about what happened than most other than the seller and buyer.  I also have the buyers name and have blocked them and passed the name on to others that I know to block.  I promised the seller I would not publicly post it or it would have been out there a long time ago.  The story is real and the buyer is using the machine to manufacture goods that they continue to sell on Ebay so of course Ebay is not going to do anything about it.  But once it does get to the press , or in this case posted on Ecommerce its amazing how fast EBay starts looking into it again.  Ebay cannot handle the bad publicity because it will keep their stock price even lower than it is.

If Ebay ever  eliminated even half the fraud that they openly allow they would probably have Negative Growth each quarter and Wenig would be long gone as he should already be.  I have also been selling on Ebay for 20 years and have never had to butt heads with them or Paypal as I know the rules and the laws and act accordingly.  I also have never butted heads with my mortgage company and on the rare occasion I disagreed with the CC company they changed their records to reflect what was correct.

I am not as big a seller as you nor do I want to be, especially on the site the way it is running now.  But I am selling more and more on other sites to where now EBay is closer to 40% of my sales and if things keep going the way they have been they will be zero percent by the end of the year because I refuse to pay for the results I have been getting from ebay.  When customers ask why they cannot find my items on Ebay but easily find them elsewhere that says a lot.  Another customer could not even find my store this entire weekend nor could he pull up the individual listings so I guess EBay was once again playing hide and go seek with my listings so they could make sure to show the Chinese listings that their partnership agreements call for.  I wish you the best when you cannot figure out what was or was not paid by Ebay when you do get your money as that is time I would rather spend listing items elsewhere than trying to sort their messes out.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jul 18 00:24:01 2018

@Silver Ice King - I only sell on eCrater, and only accept credit card payments through Stripe. On the two occasions where a buyer requested a return, and I accepted the item back and refunded the buyer's purchase price, Stripe went back into my bank account to get the money for the refund. I never signed anything at my bank. Maybe your bank works differently than mine (Chase), and I haven't researched it, but I'm guessing that when I signed up with Stripe, I gave them authority to pull out money from my bank account if I didn't have sufficient funds waiting to be distributed to my bank account to cover a refund I initiated.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jul 18 00:28:44 2018

@pace306

"THIS is a monetary issue - its illegal to favor some and not others."

Good sellers pay 10% in FVF, not so good sellers pay 14%

It's NOT illegal. . .If you think it is talk to your attorney general. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Wed Jul 18 00:42:09 2018

PayPal retains transaction records long enough to meet statutory requirements for taxes. Will it be possible to import eBay transactions into other financial software or a database? How long will eBay retain financial data?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jul 18 00:44:57 2018

@ Silver Ice King

"If your bank does not have a signed authorization from the owner of the account for amounts to be withdrawn by another source (Electronic Debits) they will NOT allow that to happen"

Digital signature, Go Daddy takes a fee every month from my checking account, so does Netflix & Patreon. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jul 18 02:25:12 2018

@cfrphoto

They will have to.  They won't have a choice.  They will be required to have the records.  When they start issuing 1099's available reports/downloads on Ebay will have to change.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 18 03:29:11 2018

With Paypal I have immediate access to my money and use it to pay shipping. With bank transfers it is about 7 days til payment is cleared for use. Since I sell lots of glass and dishes which can get expensive,  is the shipping going to be taken out before the transfer. I also get cash back every month using my Paypal card.   As for records, I can go to Paypal and download back years if I need them. Everything is in one place. I also imagine that if banks get hit every day with transfers from Ebay, they will start charging their clients for money transfers which will cost more than I am paying right now. And last but not least, due to all the new fees, I will have to print out each transaction page and shipping fees so that I can make sure I am getting paid correctly which means I will have to spend more time, and money on ink and paper, and then have to store it all in vinyl tubs for records. Since Ebay cannot fix their broken search engine, their product data base, etc.  how will they manage new software that will capturing all payments? From what I see they have nothing to lose and sellers as usual will be the losers when it comes to lost information unless you do print out all the paperwork and spend several weeks going back and forth with REPS from India to get it all sorted out.

by: ySirTinLee This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 18 04:40:34 2018

I have questions:  Does ebay have to pay Paypal fees?  If so, what's the chance that eBay will want to recoup those fees from sellers on top of the regular eBay fees?   It all sounds more expensive to use eBay.

by: wilburnet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 18 06:05:23 2018

@sasikat9

Dont contradict yourself. You didnt receive an email from Ebay to opt in to Beta test, your responses confirm you asked, and most likely will never hear a response from Ebay. Also, a good few posters here are EX Ebay sellers  so dont tarnish me with the same brush please. Funny email received from Ecrater yesterday, fees for previous month due $9.93 on sales of over $120, cant complain with that

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 18 06:07:02 2018

Amazon has daily payments through a 3rd party company.  I don't think sellers should panic; as long as PP is still considered an option.

by: PoorMan This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 18 06:27:21 2018

I don't want to share my bank account with eBay-period.  There are too many instances of online fraud as it is. Nothing is secure.

by: eastwestphoto This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 18 08:47:59 2018

Once YOUR state interprets the "Quill state sales tax",  the USA supreme court  recently reversed, eBay will be issuing your sales history directly to YOUR states D.O.R. office at your state capital. Either eBay or you, will be required to pay the tax owed! This is going to cause a lot of anxiety for eBay sellers and I predict that millions of current eBay sellers will be leaving the website. The net result for the underground USA economy will be very negative. Both your state and LOCAL tax authority will see you as a business! The paperwork with federal and state income tax returns will get very complicated for many who do not currently have these problems. The added expense of filing taxes will make millions of sellers lose sleep and money!  I predict money flowing through the american economy will get tighter and tighter and reach major recession levels. Major retail Businesses who have been screaming that internet sales MUST be taxed, will start to go bankrupt at alarming rates!  States will notice the sharp decline in sales tax losses and the real estate and auto sales retailers will be screaming at their state capital's. eBay's new  payment processing system will only serve to make to make this nightmare come true! Ask yourself when in the last eight years has eBay actually implemented a change, that helped a Seller on eBay?

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]