Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue May 22 2018 10:30:28

eBay Summer Seller Update Hits Today

Like death and taxes, eBay semi-annual seller updates are a certainty and are similarly dreaded. This year, eBay committed to making three updates, and today, the Summer update hit the site, with one more to go.

eBay grouped the changes into four buckets:

Inventory Optimization: New categories in the product-based shopping experience, category and classification changes, and item specifics to help buyers find your items.

Selling Metrics & Shipping: Stay on top of your after-sale requests, keep your delivery promise and upload tracking, and provide your shipping location zip code.

eBay Stores: eBay Stores feature changes, subscriber benefits and discounts, and new markdown sale event requirement.

Simplified Returns: Enhanced and streamlined returns automation, partial refund guidance, and customization of your international return policies.

(After reading the details, you tell us if those are good descriptions of what's coming down the pike.)

eBay also put together a timeline of changes to track when updates go live.

Here are just a few of the eBay Summer Seller Update 2018 changes announced today that will impact sellers:

- eBay will require sellers to provide a shipping location zip code in their listings;

- eBay will begin automatically issuing refunds on sellers' behalf in some cases;

- eBay is introducing new metrics in July and sellers with poor metrics will be subject to extended estimated delivery times and additional fees.

- eBay is rolling out changes to Stores this month, and will introduce new features in June, when it will also remove some Store functionality.

- eBay will automatically move sellers' listings to different categories if it thinks they are more relevant beginning July 31st. Categories impacted include Comics, Coins, Pottery & Glass, and Tires.

- eBay is making changes to its shipping labels function.

The timing of eBay's latest update is unfortunate as many businesses are scrambling to prepare for GDPR, the European Union legislation that requires sites to change their privacy policies and practices, even for websites located outside of Europe. The deadline for GDPR compliance is Friday, May 25th.

We've recapped some highlights of the Summer Update changes in this article - let us know where you think these changes fall in terms of impact to your business.

Perminate Link for eBay Summer Seller Update Hits Today   eBay Summer Seller Update Hits Today

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 24 00:19:24 2018

@LasVagueness

It's ironic and sad that ebay has to foister a "one size fits all" regimen on it's sellers, and at the same time project a "we are the world" image.
These people are dysfunctional. Instead of being a market, they put on a veiled attempt at being THE market.
...and they pay a clueless yahoo $17M to propagate their nonsense.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 24 00:34:22 2018

Actually I almost get the feeling that Wenig knows he is on his way out sooner rather than later, which explains the GM BOD gig and his sudden cashing in of the stock options just as Ebay hits its highest point since the Paypal split.  It almost seems like he is still blaming it all on the sellers and wants to see how many of us he can take down with him when he falls flat on his face from his ideas all flopping as usual on him.

Now I see why Hal Lawton bailed on him so fast, he saw the writing on the wall and probably just how power crazy Wenig has gotten in this position.  Wenig is so desperate to show that he has done something right in his time there while sellers who understand their businesses do just the opposite that now he has to threaten to take his ball and go home if things aren't done the way he wants.  Just another spoiled brat who cares about nothing but lining his pocketbook, even at his employers expense.  Wenig should make a great MBA case study for the next few generations.  ''What not to do when you become CEO of a company''.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Thu May 24 10:00:23 2018

Believing that eBay wants to rid the site of entirely of "small sellers" is greatly overgeneralizing.

Why wouldn't eBay want today's $1K/mo seller to grow into a $10K/mo seller on their platform? A $10K/mo seller into $100K, $1M etc?

That being said the Akron "Retail Revival" small businesses PR Stunt (<-- pretend that's strikethrough text)  "small business initiative" shows more clearly exactly which types of small sellers/businesses eBay _is_ interested in.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu May 24 11:00:27 2018

What eBay says and what eBay does are two different things.  Even if they say they want sellers to grow, what they do just retards that growth.

In my corner of the world,  the push for new items (and higher fees) has encouraged scalping.  Collectors don't like scalpers, so eBay shifts into a market of last resort.  Fewer shoppers makes it difficult for sellers to grow.  Not being able to grow precludes volume discounts that could be passed on to customers.  Higher prices that stay high deter buyers who might come back but only during a flash sale.

If I can sell at shows and not on eBay, something is not right.  eBay is not delivering the value they're charging for.  They can keep squeezing fees from a shrinking userbase or they can wake up and turn things around.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 24 12:59:20 2018

@ebayout

"It's ironic and sad that ebay has to foister a "one size fits all" regimen on it's sellers,..."  I certainly agree that some of the changes in this update are sadly a One Size Fits All approach.  But it is important to note that while many of us feel as you do, when Ebay does introduce a program that is optional, not a one size fits all approach, we still complain.

*******************************
This update give Ebay the ability to micro manage us even more.  The over-reaching of Ebay is VERY concerning.  They have no business telling me how I can price an item.  They are now and always have been a VENUE.  They are not now nor have they ever been my Partner.

The auto returns, 14 day pricing thing and the upcoming [September] use of our RFR numbers being used in evals are of the most concern to me at this moment.  There are other things I'm not fond of, but these three things I am most focused on at this point.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 24 15:15:21 2018

@Marie,

I rarely if ever complained if Ebay made a program optional, other than knowing that it would soon become mandatory, which most have.  I still expect to see Free  Returns become the mandatory thing on Ebay within 6 months to a year.  If they could, they would also make GD a requirement but to many people live in areas that just cannot support the seller being able to get their items out quickly enough, or if they do that the local PO gets it where it needs to be in time.

I may have forgotten some, but please feel free to remind me which optional programs that have not either just flopped or become mandatory has Ebay had in the last, say, 5 years?  That is what most of the complaining is about, the fact that the ideas are just so moronic and make zero business sense or that we know it will soon become mandatory.

I will be giving up TRS+ on June 1 as I refuse to offer Free Returns, even though I have never had a return while selling on Ebay.  It is strictly the principle of the matter and that Ebay is trying to micromanage how i run my business when they can't even manage to run their own properly.  If Ebay could fix all their glitches and have their business running like a well oiled machine, then maybe i would listen to them a bit.  But they are by far the worst run company I have ever seen or dealt with in all my years in business.

Ebay needs to focus more on fixing their own business and let me worry about mine.  But it will be nice to no longer worry about getting things out the next day as i will be changing all 4000+ listings I have to 2 day handling since I am losing the incredible 10% discount anyway. !!!!

by: captainzombie This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 24 15:41:27 2018

@Marie, just like you, I am concerned the most about "The auto returns, 14 day pricing thing and the upcoming [September] use of our RFR numbers being used in evals are of the most concern to me at this moment." The rest of the crap they have put out I can deal with one way or another, but this is the kind of stuff that destroys businesses. I have to wonder now if they can get themselves into deep trouble since they are crossing the line by telling us how we can price our items.

by: Filadelfos This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 24 15:49:09 2018

Meanwhile, Amazon is banning customers who return too many items, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal. While Amazon has developed an image as a customer-friendly company by making it easy for shoppers to return items, they are learning that their generous return policy is starting to have a negative effect on their bottom line. Think eBay will follow THIS lead by Amazon, or just continue to see only what they want to see?

rs-who-make-too-many-returns-1526981401

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 24 18:21:22 2018

@Silver Ice King

I too am giving up the TRS discount come June 1st of the majority of my listings.  There will be a few in certain categories that I will test the Free Returns on, but I don't like the program and chances are I won't stay offering it for long even on a few listings.

When Ebay makes some program that starts of as optional mandatory, I too don't like that.  Sometimes I like the program sometimes I don't.  I can't speculate on what will or won't become mandatory at some date in the future because Ebay is just full of surprises.

The program in recent memory that had a lot of posters very unhappy is the Guaranteed Delivery program.  I firmly believe that Ebay should never auto opt sellers into ANY program that is optional, but setting that part aside, this program can work well for some while not so much for others.  It is a personal choice.

Once you are TRS, there is the option of having your listings qualify for TRS+.  There is the Global Shipping program, various options on the return policy [while IMHO options are far too limited], etc.  Certainly there are not enough optional programs and Ebay could improve on this a great deal.

@captainzombie

Yes, and it is certainly something that we all need to keep a close eye on.

by: wilddonkeybmx This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 29 15:48:18 2018

I already see the screw job with the new summer updates.  1st RSS feeds will be deleted. I use RSS feeds on "billboard website"  that has an RSS feed that links directly to Ebay and my store.  I guess this is going to be deleted and my website ruined with a big strolling nothing on the sidebar.....What is wrong with you people at Ebay that everything you do just screws the sellers every time..How about lowering fees. No  more fantasy junk of how to manage your junk.   Also, now you will have to have items listed for 14 days until you can have a sale...Now if you list many items and say you started high on your prices you cant just say drop the price by 10% on all the items for 14 days.  Have you morons who ever come up with this trash ever even sold an item on Ebay?  I cant even see one thing in the stupid summer sellers update that would help a seller just more fantasy seller hub garbage mumbo jumbo...

Store feature removals

Starting late-June 2018, the following features will be removed because the functionality is either outdated or included in the new Stores management experience.

Recommendations
HTML builder
Search Engine Keywords
Promotional flyer
Favorite Seller Top Picks
RSS feeds
Promote similar items

I dont even know why i bother selling anything on here anymore.....

Im surprised i dont see a fee increase....I dont even know why i bothered reading the sellers summer update...

Just saw this:   eBay will begin automatically issuing refunds on sellers' behalf in some cases....What cases...so they will Auto steal your money when **bleep** buyers lie and make bull to get their refund....

by: JohnQ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 16:36:18 2018

Why would anyone need to immediately mark a new item on "sale"??

Wouldn't it make more sense to just price it competitively at the beginning, with no gimmickry??

I relist, or used to relist, items every 7 days as sell similar because I had read that it gets better search result.  So I never have anything listed over 14 days - even though some of my items have been for sale on ebay for months.  At least once a month I would put some items on sale and it always generated a few hundred dollars in sales for me - I will lose that money and ebay will lose the fees from it.  I am sure I am not the only seller who was doing this

by: JohnQ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 16:42:01 2018

Just as Amazon realizes sellers are abusing their liberal return policy and bans some buyers, ebay jumps on the bandwagon.

1 2 3 4 5