Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue May 22 2018 10:30:28

eBay Summer Seller Update Hits Today

Like death and taxes, eBay semi-annual seller updates are a certainty and are similarly dreaded. This year, eBay committed to making three updates, and today, the Summer update hit the site, with one more to go.

eBay grouped the changes into four buckets:

Inventory Optimization: New categories in the product-based shopping experience, category and classification changes, and item specifics to help buyers find your items.

Selling Metrics & Shipping: Stay on top of your after-sale requests, keep your delivery promise and upload tracking, and provide your shipping location zip code.

eBay Stores: eBay Stores feature changes, subscriber benefits and discounts, and new markdown sale event requirement.

Simplified Returns: Enhanced and streamlined returns automation, partial refund guidance, and customization of your international return policies.

(After reading the details, you tell us if those are good descriptions of what's coming down the pike.)

eBay also put together a timeline of changes to track when updates go live.

Here are just a few of the eBay Summer Seller Update 2018 changes announced today that will impact sellers:

- eBay will require sellers to provide a shipping location zip code in their listings;

- eBay will begin automatically issuing refunds on sellers' behalf in some cases;

- eBay is introducing new metrics in July and sellers with poor metrics will be subject to extended estimated delivery times and additional fees.

- eBay is rolling out changes to Stores this month, and will introduce new features in June, when it will also remove some Store functionality.

- eBay will automatically move sellers' listings to different categories if it thinks they are more relevant beginning July 31st. Categories impacted include Comics, Coins, Pottery & Glass, and Tires.

- eBay is making changes to its shipping labels function.

The timing of eBay's latest update is unfortunate as many businesses are scrambling to prepare for GDPR, the European Union legislation that requires sites to change their privacy policies and practices, even for websites located outside of Europe. The deadline for GDPR compliance is Friday, May 25th.

We've recapped some highlights of the Summer Update changes in this article - let us know where you think these changes fall in terms of impact to your business.

Perminate Link for eBay Summer Seller Update Hits Today   eBay Summer Seller Update Hits Today

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 22 18:23:05 2018

@Silver Ice King

I found a thread with an Ebay CSR responding regarding zip codes for sellers with multi ship from addresses.

ng/Shipping-Location-Zip-Code/m-p/28515747#M70

by: roberttx This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 18:33:32 2018

In the post linked to below, an ebay employee states that bogus SNAD requests that are determined to be Remorse will still count towards triggering the 4% fee increase.

The B&M equivalent would be the mall increasing your rent because you were catching too many shoplifters.

If this was any other platform, I'd call it insane. As it's eBay, I'll call it what it is - naked theft.

-have-some-concerns-for-eBay-execs-to-conisder/m-p/28516243#M93

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 22 18:38:04 2018

I a NOT DEFENDING it, but keep in mind that the SNADs do not start counting against us until the fall, or so they say in the update.  This should NEVER happen on requests, but apparently Ebay sees it differently yet again.  They said they would never count these against us and now they have decided to change that position.  SURPRISE !!!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 18:42:34 2018

"Oh PLEASE!  Not the OLD small seller argument again.  Come on.  It has been going on for over 10 years now.  It wasn't viable in the beginning and it isn't viable now.  If Ebay didn't want small sellers, there would be no small sellers.  They do not have to make a 10+ year campaign to get rid of them while allowing new ones to start selling on Ebay.  They would simply end it period."

BS

eBay weeds through small sellers and either VEROS them or steals from them - and then they leave - on their own accord - by pressure.

In eBays mind there are plenty of CATTLE to feed off, destroying the smaller weaker ones that "dont go along with the program, complain 24/7 about every change (even if the changes are obscene)" is not something that keeps eBay up at night.

They cant just dump them all - SOMEONE "important" would get wind and then the house of cards  would collapse.

eBay is built on smoke n mirrors, on fraud, on theft - and like the mafia - you run it till it burns down, then move on to another victim.

The "oh if eBay wanted small sellers goen they would be" .. AHEM its exactly whats going on!

By creating ONEROUS not needed programs - the small sellers just up n leave - read the comments by some here that have said "UNCLE" already.

eBay said it in black n white "small sellers are an unreliable source of income aka UNEEDED"

So what was the NEXT sentence?  "ok so lets help them"?

Yeh - DW and Bobby Cupcake (thats his mafia name) said they want to reconnect with small sellers - have they ? Please tell me how.

The ONLY connecting DW wants to do with you is with YOUR WALLET. Hes stated that he thinks that sellers make TOO MUCH MONEY and he aims to take it - by hook or crook.

He didnt run Target or Macys off - they let on their own accord after realizing that eBay was a disease and not a cure. They dumped the crap they couldnt sell, collected emails and left - what do they need eBay for?

Did you ever see an eBay banner on a float at the Macys TG day parade? No you didnt - they knew better. If they were such great partners - they would have.

Same with Target - where was the CO-BRANDING?? NO WHERE.

The action by eBay is PASSIVE not ACTIVE. Just keep tightening the rules - to absurdity and beyond - and watch as the froggy SLOWLY boils.

WE here just know better (well most). We know eBay entire business model is Gambino not Harvard.

Just post your items, make your sales and dont listen to anyone or anything except your own common sense. Listening to eBay is a sure fire roadmap for disaster.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 22 19:02:50 2018

It isn't BS Pace when it is the truth.  Just because you don't like it does not make it BS.

Yes small sellers and large sellers for that matter leave Ebay on a regular basis.  And YES small sellers and large sellers join Ebay on a regular basis.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 19:06:45 2018

The truth speaks for itself

There Are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 19:07:31 2018

@ Marie,

They don't start counting against us until the Fall but remember, Ebay stated in the thread I supplied above that the SNAD's would be applied retroactively, so they are counting the issues against us as we speak.

As for the exemption to the 14 day policy, I agree that Ebay should not be telling us how to run our businesses, but since they are, to allow larger businesses to be exempt from the rules is not right, and it does smell strongly of discrimination against the small seller.  So yes Ebay is making obvious efforts to make selling on Ebay harder for smaller sellers than the larger ones, whether you want to open your eyes and see it or keep them shut while defending Ebay all the way to the end is up to you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 22 19:12:51 2018

@Silver Ice King

I know, it is just CRAZY !!!  We need to do a whole lot of complaining between now and then.  It is nothing short of ridiculous!

Yes, we agree about the 14 day thing, however I do not know that they are only exempting certain "large" sellers.  They may be, I've just seen nothing that supports that.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 19:23:28 2018

@Marie,

If you have access to the PS boards one of the sellers posted it on there which is how I found out about it.  All I have is that person who used to be 100% pro Ebay, but has changed in the past 6-9 months, stating that he received that email.  I don't know what reason he would have to lie about it.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 19:32:57 2018

eBay says this about returns/refunds: "We are increasing automation to save you time and give you quicker access to funds on hold."

When Amazon conceived this filthy plot that was exactly how they introduced it as "hey sellers, look what we are doing for you!"

Let me tell you, if you thought you got a lot of returns now, just wait. If I got any return requests at all in a year, never more than 1-2 from all venues combined. I dealt with it and it was not an onerous process that I needed Amazons help with. NOW in 6 months, I have had something like 5-6 return requests - I've lost track. The last one on day 30 of the sale, so just on the wire to return, and they wanted to return it because they 'bought by mistake'. How can you get something and keep it around the house for 30 days because it was bought by mistake? I've had sewing patterns that were clearly described as sewing patterns, returned as SNAD because the buyers thought they were getting actual garments. Or one where the buyer said there was a mistake in the listing that after going through it with a fine-toothed comb 4 times if not more, I sure couldn't find it. Unlike many who sell patterns, I have been sewing for over 50 years. Mistakes on patterns listings jump out at me immediately. I wonder what the customer saw as I tried to email her via Amazons messaging system (which buyers can block from getting emails from sellers which doesn't help this process at ALL), yet she left me a one-star negative feedback as not caring about customers or getting back to her. She warned people from buying from me! 16 years of selling on line with 100% positive feedback wherever and whatever I was selling!

I am at the point now where I feel like puking every time I see another return request. Remember these new rules were meant to help us out - HA! Of course, every return request comes with extra possibilities of bad feedback because they want every penny of the money they spent back and don't think that they should pay to send it back for a return, when it is buyer's remorse. I am on disability with a very limited income. I do this as I have been physically able to help bring in enough to LIVE on. Not luxuries, I'm talking food and utilities and medications. Buyers of course don't care in the least. Almost every return so far has been if anything a buyer's remorse. It is buyer scam time.

I haven't sold on eBay for a long time, but in their desire to be like Amazon - what are they going to do merge? - they are making life harder for honest sellers, and life easier for buyers that want to jerk people around.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue May 22 19:35:42 2018

Marie writes: "If Ebay didn't want small sellers, there would be no small sellers."

As I stated before when you had this argument, eBay is not going to to suddenly state something like 'everyone who doesn't sell $500K a year is off the site'; that would be too much bad publicity, and we all know eBay can't handle bad publicity. So they continue to implement changes designed specifically to kill the businesses of small sellers. If by not showing listings or initiating secret selling limits doesn't drive sellers away, then eBay raises the fees. Or cuts the TRS discount. Or raises the fees again. Or opts sellers into programs they don't want or can't maintain. eBay is not trying to keep small sellers; they are trying to eradicate them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 22 19:36:19 2018

@Silver Ice King

OH no, I didn't mean that anyone "lied" about anything.  Which was why I was careful to say I had NO KNOWLEDGE of an exception ONLY going to large sellers.  Which I still have no personal knowledge of that.  But again I am NOT saying anyone isn't being truthful, I'm only saying I don't know anything about it.  Nothing more.

The CSRs don't seem to be responding to the Summer update questions on any other board except the one for the Update.  So I never found the thread you referred to.  Sorry if I caused you concern.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 22 19:41:43 2018

@jack

Your definition of "sudden" and mine must be very different.  IMHO 10+ years is no where near "sudden".

Yes, I remember what you said when I made a similar comment before.  But I again go back to 10+ years is more than enough time to phase anything out that any company, Ebay or some other may want to do.

I know it is hard to let go of this particular argument and no matter what I say, that will not change.  But that also does not change that 10+ years of the same argument is old, tired and has no impact anymore.  One can only cry out for so long with the same old argument before it loses its luster.

But I also know that won't stop anyone from using it as it really doesn't matter if it is true or not.  It only matter that some still believe it to be true.  Although I'm not sure how long you think it will take them to phase us out.  Would that be 15+ years, 20+, or how many??

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 22:10:27 2018

Thank you Sparrow for helping me try and make my point.

Im guessing that Marie is waiting for a headline in the next Seller Update stating "we are kicking out all smaller sellers" before believing the evidence before EVERYONES eyes.

The sheer amount of greed, theft and lies (Im guessing) simply isnt enough proof (for anything).

Id throw in Cupcakes lies on stage.... "focusing on our partners - small sellers" and stuff like that - but hey some people LIKE the torture of being lied to up front ...

Of course I offer a COMPLETE mea culpa if anyone can validate the point that eBay isnt trying to rid itself of smaller sellers - Ill gladly accept 10 (being it started in 2007) PRO small seller rules.

They can be in ANY category - listing, returns, payments etc.

Certainly last weeks article where eBay admits that it hide sellers listings, is a POSITIVE rule change that "cant be argued" LMAO.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 22 23:34:57 2018

Ebay admitting they hide listings is not a new thing.  They admitted it a couple years ago for the first time publicly when they updated the UA and made sure that ALL sellers had to resign/re-affirm that they agreed to the UA to continue selling.  I know for some it seem to come as a surprise but for me, their admission of a week or so ago was nothing new.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed May 23 00:40:10 2018

Marie writes: "... I'm not sure how long you think it will take them to phase us out.  Would that be 15+ years, 20+, or how many??"

I honestly believe that when JD took over full-time, called us all "noise," and then instituted the first of the major anti-small seller policies in February 2008, they assumed that most, if not all, of the small sellers would leave. I think that ten years later, and with many more egregious policies intended to throttle sales or drain us of any profit whatsoever, they can't understand why there are some who are still hanging on.

With every Downdate, they try their best to get rid of more small sellers. At the rate they are going (and with the projected demise of the site in five years), I would expect all small sellers to be gone in approximately the next three years.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed May 23 01:38:32 2018

Every one except Marie is correct. eBay has been installing new programs, fees and anything else they could muster to get rid of the small sellers. They could not want to come out and say they wanted to get rid of them since that would destroy the whole concept of eBay and would be devastating to the stock price which is where all the big boys pull in there money by selling the stocks that they purchase with their options. I do not know what the cost is now a days to excersize the option but I know years ago it was only $19.20 and they could then sell the stock on the market which they have been doing ever since Meg was in charge when they became public. That is why they have been doing the buy back of the stocks to maintain the selling price.
I was going to downgrade my store this month (which I have had since they starting offering stores years ago) but then I realized that I would be stuck with it for another year instead of the 4 months when my subscription would be up. It is just not worth it to sell on eBay anymore period.

by: wilburnet This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 23 03:58:59 2018

A CSR responded in an Ebay thread to a sellers question about will Chinese sellers be affected / punished just like US sellers If they have high rates of “ item not as described “ returns –

“ Thank you. Happy to add additional clarification.

All sellers, regardless of their country or origin or their location will be subject to consequences if they have very high rates of item not as described returns.

The returns that are counted in this metric are 'item not as described' returns. Click HERE to find out all reasons that are counted in this metric.

To your question on retroactive - We will consider transactions within 3 month or 12 month lookback. “

by: thriftyone This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 23 09:03:39 2018

Marie I found this on Ebays power selling discussion boards under the thread titled  2018 Summer seller update, top of page 2.

It was in response to another seller who was reeling over the 14 day "time out" being given before running a sale.

"I received an email from eBay regarding this 14 restriction for sales events. It said they have exempted my account from this requirement, but no reason why."
From Ebay:
"When creating a new markdown sale event, the listing price should be a price that the item (or one that is virtually identical to it) has sold for in the recent past" and "we recommend you list your item at a competitive price before you create a markdown sale event".
From seller:
"I was wondering if they just sent this email to everybody or if there was some reason I was included.
You just may not have received the email yet."

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 23 10:10:09 2018

I haven't detected a "Small sellers not welcome" sign on ebay. Apparently they're still allowed to sign up.
The only way to validate this argument is to have the net influx number (+/-) of new small sellers over the last 10 years. Nobody's got it, and I'm sure ebay ain't giving it up.
Meanwhile, their stock continues on a downward trend. Wenig must be up at night creating new weasel words for the stockholder meeting in a week.

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]