Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Mar 12 2018 17:26:41

What Payments Will Look Like on eBay

Paying for items on eBay will soon be more like Amazon than the traditional eBay model: instead of paying sellers, buyers will pay eBay, and then it will disburse the funds to sellers.

During a webinar to answer seller questions last week, eBay executives provided a preview of what that will look like in a series of three slides, which we've mashed together:

eBay noted there would be a streamlined buyer experience with an increased choice in payment options that would be "locally relevant" and "mobile-optimized." The new experience will roll out to a very small number of users beginning this year, and will be implemented fully by 2021.

In the screenshots, eBay showed the transaction flow for a memory foam mattress pad for a bed. The "buyer" chose to use Apple Pay to pay with their Visa credit card - note that Apple Pay isn't a payment method - it's a digital wallet that stores a person's payment methods such as debit and credit cards.

On the sample screenshot, it shows the checkout screen with a total amount next to the words "PAY EBAY." The final screenshot showed a "thank you" page showing the order details along with a "Continue shopping" button.

You can find more information about the webinar (along with readers' reactions) on this March 7th blog post.

Perminate Link for What Payments Will Look Like on eBay   What Payments Will Look Like on eBay

This user has validated their user name. by: iBuyers

Fri Mar 16 18:55:30 2018

Here is a topic we have raised with our Concierges, how will eBay structure or allot for PayPal's current Risk Controls? For example: the ability to blocki foreign funded Payment sources that are often used  with US forwarding adresses that circumvent domestic only shipping policies of a listing?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Mar 16 19:04:05 2018

International buyers that have US ship to addresses are not "circumventing" anything on Ebay.  There is NO rule on Ebay that says they can not purchase from a US buyer that only ships to US addresses.  And why would it anyway?  The ship to address is in the US.

I know that many sellers don't like this as they feel it puts them at greater risk.  Some sellers don't realize that they are only responsible for the item to the location in which it was sent to.  So if the buyer has the item reshipped to another address, the buyer protection becomes void.  Or if the buyer get to their home country and then opens a return, the seller does not have to honor it becomes it will be shipped back from an address in which the seller did not ship the item.

I do understand why this concerns some sellers, but the block that is currently in PP is unfair to the buyer completely.  That buyer is NOT doing anything against the Ebay rules.  But what the seller is doing is preventing them from paying, which is not a good thing to do.  I've known some sellers that go as far as to file a UID on the buyer because they haven't paid, but they can't pay because the seller won't let them.  Somehow these sellers see this as OK.  Well until Ebay catches them doing it anyway.  But that isn't easy I doubt to many buyers report the bad behavior of the seller.

This user has validated their user name. by: iBuyers

Fri Mar 16 19:49:13 2018

You obviously don't sell consumer electronics. In 2016 we had over $250,

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Mar 16 20:00:03 2018

This isn't specific to one category.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Mar 16 21:20:10 2018

I hope eBay doesn't allow foreign buyers of my items.

It is against the law for me to sell most of my items overseas.

It's US Military surplus and I sign a contract with Boeing and the Federal Government that I will not sell my items to foreign entities. . .

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 16 22:05:38 2018

@ toolguy you can set in your listing to ship to any country that you like OR just to the US and cancel any order from an international buyer that the ebay system misses. I happen to ship internationally cause I do very well. I wish it was as easy to sell Internationally on Amazon as it is on ebay. I be doing a lot better.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 17 01:48:49 2018

@ Marie re: US ship to addresses
I love these buyers and never have a problem with them.  As you have pointed out, once delivery is confirmed to the US address, our part is done.  Never have had a SNAD or INR case from one of these.
Sellers in the electronic areas may have different results.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Mar 17 02:39:00 2018

@toolguy

I think you simply misunderstood.  You would be shipping to a US address.  What someone does with something from there is not your responsibility.  So you have no exposure of shipping to a country in which your stuff is not allowed to go.  You wouldn't be doing that.  I have some things I sell that are similar.  Certain countries don't allow them.  But I ship to international buyers with US ship to addresses all the time.  It just isn't an issue.

@donald

In all my years on Ebay I've never known Ebay to allow an international buyer with an international ship to address to purchase something that was set up to be US shipments only.

@paulW