Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Mar 5 2018 17:42:59

eBay Experiences Buying and Selling Outages

eBay is experiencing severe technical issues this afternoon. It's System Status board shows a "service outage" for Bidding, Buy It Now, Checkout, Listing, and Shipping Label Printing.

One reader was having problems when revising listings - the system was getting extremely slow, and then she was presented with a new form.

A colleague then forwarded an email they received from eBay with the following message: "It's not you. It's us. Our server is down, but we'll have things back to normal soon. If you still need help, visit our help pages."

Let us know what you're experiencing and we'll provide periodic updates.

It's worth noting that at 5:22 pm Eastern, an eBay moderator referred users to the Status board in response to complaints on the eBay boards.

We can find reports on the eBay board as early as 4:50 pm Eastern. Down Detector shows a big spike and states: "eBay is having issues since 4:40 PM EST."

At 9:41 pm, an eBay moderator posted on a thread on the eBay boards "All issues should now be resolved." No details on the system status board (which went to green even while problems remained), and no announcement on any of the announcement boards.

Perminate Link for eBay Experiences Buying and Selling Outages   eBay Experiences Buying and Selling Outages

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 5 17:50:16 2018

Have not been able to log into eBay for a bit over an hour now. I first noticed the outage at 3:40 CST, and it is now 4:48 CST.

It has been a while since the entire eBay site crashed. This used to be almost common back in 2014 and 2015. Outages at times lasted many hours back then. Hope it is up soon.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Mar 5 17:57:14 2018

Looking at the outage map on Down Detector, it appears the biggest problems are in California, the East Coast, and the U.K.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Mon Mar 5 18:09:09 2018

Can't wait for the explanation why the entire eBay site has crashed.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 5 18:22:01 2018

The "entire" site didn't crash.  I can say that because I can and have been able to access the site, but I have experienced issues.  Some things I just couldn't do for a few minutes.

It started with a really slow load up of the listing I was trying to revise.  That went on for about 30 or 45 minutes.  I was getting pretty frustrated.  Then I went into another listing I needed to update and the listing form was different.  Not bad, just different.  But I couldn't revise anything.

I could still move around Ebay but I did not try buying anything.  I just looked at a few things.  It appears to me that things went back to normal about 30 minutes later.  I can now revise listings as needed.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 5 18:23:51 2018

I can log into eBay.com, but not into my Seller Central. It is now 5:22 CST, so the outage has lasted almost two hours. According to eBay's System Status page all systems are functioning properly, so, they are lying again.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Mon Mar 5 18:38:24 2018

I queued the AlphaZero neural network to run an analysis and it found a Russian botnet is running a massive cross-site Zugzwang attack against the primary US Stockfish DNS backbone (including eBay’s).  If you were having problems previously and now everything seems normal, you may have had your IP’s eBay credentials and super-cookies  spear-phished in a classic Picard Maneuver.  Proceed with caution!

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Mon Mar 5 18:45:29 2018

Cannot get onto the site at all, either on desktop or mobile.

Is this the wake-up call to investors that this company is being run on a shoestring budget? A (normal) site this large would have redundancy built into their system so this type of thing NEVER occurs.

Since when should a website which is in the business of selling merchandise ever be non-functional??

This would not ever happen on Amazon.

by: jacobsenra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 5 19:13:41 2018

Have had issues all afternoon and now cannot get into seller hub at all.  Can't ship - hope eBay makes it right we can't ship on time as they require due to their own website being the problem.  Also Paypal shipping is down.  What a bumbling mess....

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 5 19:19:01 2018

Just another day in the world of Fleabay. Nothing new. Just shut down the computer for the day and enjoy the family. Nothing that important to lose any sleep over. Things will get better next week MAYBE

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 5 19:21:29 2018

@extinctebay

I realize it is frustrating for you and I'd be very concerned too.  I get that.  You have every right to be concerned.  The entire site is NOT down.  It may be in your area, but it isn't in mine and I'm sure many others.  That does NOT dismiss the importance of it being down in your area, I'm simply stating that the "entire" site is not down.

It has and does happen to Amazon, you just may not be aware of it.  This does NOT dismiss or diminish the importance of the Ebay interruptions at all.  I'm just saying it does and has happened.  This is just one example I could find easily.

web-services-u-s-east-region-takes-alexa-atlassian-developer-tools/

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Mar 5 19:34:26 2018

A person posted on Down Detector that an eBay CSR admitted the problem was a unscheduled Seller Hub update and it could be down for as long as 24 hours. Yikes!

by: geoffreymason This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 5 20:25:24 2018

Add Arkansas to the list (we think there are at least two of us out here in the sticks). Can not access my ebay by hitting the icon. So I hit "sell" on the home page and that brought up my active listings file and a menu for other options. For me, this started the other day when the system started assessing charges for revisions. I'm on Chrome.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 5 20:27:28 2018

Still cannot access seller central. EBay has been non-functional now for me at least three hours. EBay System Status site still lists all systems functioning properly.

Typical dishonesty and lack of professional responsibility by eBay management.

BTW, have made sales on Etsy and Amazon today, but none on eBay. Multiply that experience by 5+ million and . . . there is the situation eBay is doing its best to deny and cover-up.

by: mcat This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 5 21:21:33 2018

Welcome to eBay Boot Camp week 1

by: jdbok This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 5 21:47:55 2018

can not access overview of seller hub around 5 this afternoon eastern

page says--Something went wrong. We're sorry.
If you want to start over, go to the homepage. If you're stuck, let us
help you. can not get any work done without basic access WTF

I can get to indvidual functions amnually but without centralized access it blows my system
ebay forced me to use seller hub now they cant run an upgrade without breaking it?
WTF

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 5 22:07:54 2018

Finally got back into Seller Center just before 9PM CST, so the outage lasted about five and half hours, assuming the site continues to function moving forward.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Mon Mar 5 22:11:34 2018

@Marie

Amazon Cloud Services and Alexa were down for a few folks for a short time, but not their bread-and-butter main sales site.

I cannot think of a time Amazon Marketplace has been down for any extended period of time in recent memory.

If eBay wants to compete on their level, it has to be an embarrassment to have any type of widespread outages.

by: rapidreader This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 5 22:41:11 2018

@Ina;

Related only to this story by tech issues is my little problem.
I have been having trouble accessing Yahoo.com and signing into my mail over the last 2 weeks.
I tried to change my email address at Ebay but am waiting for their activation email, a couple of hours now.

Also while I found a roundabout way in to my yahoo mail, I came here to change my email but it would not allow me to sign in except to make comments on your blog. It says '' Invalid E-mail''.
I am thinking that accounts are email based and you're newer system doesn't like the make-up of my email, but we will see if or when my new email gets this subscription.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Mar 6 02:43:29 2018

@extinctebay

I understand, it isn't going to matter what I say.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Mar 6 02:58:19 2018

@jack

And you believe the CSR??

I can only speak for myself, but I never lost the ability to view or use the Seller Hub at any time today.  I only had the problems with revising that I stated above and I never lost access to Ebay even for a moment.

I see the problems varied for some posters here and elsewhere.