Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri Nov 23 2018 22:52:57

eBay Features Sellers in Small Business Saturday Campaign

eBay is featuring sellers in its marketing this week and is ramping it up today by promoting Small Business Saturday, where people are encouraged to buy from small local retailers. "eBay believes small businesses are the lifeblood of the American economy, and we are incredibly proud to help sellers shape their futures, lifestyles, and livelihoods," it wrote in a post on the corporate eBay blog today.

eBay is promoting Small Business Saturday on social media such as this tweet that includes a video featuring an eBay seller and the hashtag #makingithappen.

In today's post, eBay wrote:

"Small Business Saturday presents us with an opportunity to support and celebrate the sellers who are making it happen on eBay. Join us on November 24 to champion small businesses during Cyber Week, by shopping their unique Deals.

"You may have seen our recent advertisements which illustrate 'if it's happening in the world, it's happening on eBay'. And we want everyone to know eBay's sellers are the ones making it happen - not just on Small Business Saturday, but every day of the year."

It's refreshing to see eBay feature sellers, which are a differentiator for the marketplace, instead of churning out ads that attempt to make eBay look like any other mainstream retailer (or Amazon). You can watch more on YouTube.

What do you think of the campaign? And will you be shopping on Small Business Saturday?

Perminate Link for eBay Features Sellers in Small Business Saturday Campaign   eBay Features Sellers in Small Business Saturday Campaign

by: Grady This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 23 23:18:36 2018

....Meanwhile bending over backwards to give the Chinese companies every advantage possible.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Nov 24 02:13:29 2018

Personally, I just buy stuff online from Certified (Green Bar) Safe businesses.
I save time and gas.
I believe Ebay should stop getting involved in commerce on any level.
Ebay was meant for people to sell their own personal stuff.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Nov 24 02:30:10 2018

We need a site that functions as a Mall, in that, I can visit the home page and see the major categories and from there, go to individual stores to see what they have.
It's a simple concept. Don't know why it hasn't happened.
Categories :
Apparel
Antiques
Automotive accessories
Bicycles
Sports equipment
Holiday > Halloween, Easter, Christmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving......
IMO all of this belongs on a Mall site like this, not Ebay.
Each business owner is responsible for payments, policies, shipping, etc...
The Mall would only collect a low monthly or yearly subscription fee.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 24 05:47:42 2018

Anytime Ebay says its is featuring small sellers for whatever reason is time to put the store on vacation for a week.

by: P.Dorf This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 24 06:41:48 2018

Just had a family get-together when the ebay ad came on the TV.

I was surprised it wasn't the usual cringeworthy effort, but not surprised at the total apathy my kids showed towards it.

Devin Wenig = Sisyphus

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 24 07:33:34 2018

eBay's has had plenty of opportunity to 'feature small sellers' outside the 'bandwagon day' they are allotted for attention.  For the past couple years however, every 'innovation' they've unleashed has reduced or obfuscated both seller identity, communication paths, and ability to operate with any autonomy, and has done so with no concern for those seller's ''futures, lifestyles and livlihoods''.  None.

Any attempt by eBay at this point to identify small business sellers with any nod to their independence, separate identity or 'importance' to both eBay and the general economic environment is the epitome of eBay's typical hypocrisy and disengenuousness.

Simply put, it's false advertising.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sat Nov 24 09:39:49 2018

Small businesses my foot. Maybe that means my items will be seen today because I didn't get a single watcher on 204 items yesterday....not one sale....AND I ran sale prices.

by: NoMoreEbay This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 24 09:54:26 2018

ebay's top promoted small businesses:

China Dongxiang
Jianlibao Group
Jiuguang Department Store
Li-Ning
Suzhou Synta Optical Technology
Xiaomi

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sat Nov 24 09:57:05 2018

@The End

I love the concept!!! We could call it WeeBay, the site for sellers Ecommerce Forgot. Lol.

by: BohicaBay This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 24 10:44:55 2018

No coupon drop for Black Friday or Small Business Saturday. We have no value to them. The only advantage I gained from either is by putting my stuff on sale and taking money out of my own pocket. In a recent phone conversation with a Merchant Support representative he made it pretty clear that eBay no longer values those who do not sell NIB items. Used item sellers are a liability and they are going to continue to ratchet up standards that make it impossible for anyone not selling new items to survive. Don't be shocked if you start seeing forced 60 day returns next year. I, too, wish for a viable competitor, I'd jump ship at this point.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 24 11:24:51 2018

I provide eBay the same level of loyalty they provide me -- Zero

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Nov 24 12:06:29 2018

@NoMoreEbay

If you had bothered to watch the Youtube video you would know that

Sneaker Jesus
Pockets
Global Auto Parts
The Diamond Hanger
(all US based businesses)

Are: This Small Business Saturday Sellers!

by: NoMoreEbay This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 24 14:53:47 2018

I've noticed on the boards the mods are starting to throw kudos and ra ra posts at sellers. They must have got marching orders from on-high to start a warm fuzzy "experience" campaign including this small business farce.

It's possible that between the large Chinese footprint and the exodus of US sellers it may finally be affecting ebay's bottom line.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 24 22:18:19 2018

If you had bothered to watch the Youtube video you would know that

Sneaker Jesus - will he get VERO'd for having all the hot sneakers for sale or is he one of the PROTECTED ones? Trey selling yeezys (spelling) and see how long before your listing gets pulled. Better yet, try selling Skullcandy, Denon, Nikon or a few others .....

Pockets .... ?????? some kind of bed sheet? I guess thats whats setting buyers on FIRE today ... not $1000 4k tvs ......

Global Auto Parts - You tube didnt explain why they were different then any of the other 10K auto parts dealers ...... (is it because shes Asian, a women, or she buys sponsored ads?)

Diamond Hanger - again - why is she different then any of the other 10K clothing sellers? Nice girl, quite pretty, hope she sells a million$ worth - but what makes her UNIQUE?

I agree %1000000000000000000000000 shop small businesses - not just Saturday - but EVERY day - my ONLY question is - why these people? (over anyone else)

by: Iwishiwaskidding This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 25 01:36:30 2018

No sitewide coupon email today so no, didnt check ebay for deals.  Sorry.  Im disgusted and fed up.  My stuff is riding there on gtc thanks to the app, which is and will be uninstalled until the next coupon.  No need to relist, no need to check in, no temptation to shop....  the irony is the app "self improved" so many options away it made not using it my best option. Sold 3 things on sbs, bang up good day for tiny me, none of it sold on ebay.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 25 10:25:45 2018

Supposed biggest weekend of the year....so far, 1 item sold on eBay....1 ITEM....this is not possible unless manipulation.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Nov 25 17:26:59 2018

@Scotty

4 Days no sales. Little to no views.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Nov 26 00:30:08 2018

It's funny that eBay wants to promote small businesses when they seem to have gone out of their way to destroy them. We're just "noise" after all.

And I got a nice $300 order on eCrater on Saturday.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 26 01:28:54 2018

I had 3 sales since November 8.  I'm convinced EB is blocking (my) sites and not letting customers see goods.  They are featuring more and more "sponsored" goods and stores.  I'm getting double the sales from dedicated clothing sites like Poshmark, and taking high-end goods to consigners to make money.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 26 08:29:02 2018

Blocking sites? I believe that it's more of a situation that eBay refused to take a buyers payment if they didn't bend to their will with the latest credit card scam.  I had on $200 sale to the UK - I'm signed up for global shipping.  It took 4 days on both our parts (me & seller) to get the item paid and it was only after the c/s rep told me to go ahead and give the buyer my email address that she was able then to go directly into paypal to pay me.  I have another friend here in town that had 4 different messages in one week from 4 different buyers tell he that they were sorry but since they could not pay for their items they would have to abandon their purchase.

Lucky for me my buyer REALLY wanted my items and was willing to play the phone tag game with both eBay and papal to try to straighten the snafu out.  Not a lot of people would bother.  So just how many sales are being lost? we will probably never know.

black Friday my arse - on my big store I didn't sell one single thing - last years November sales were around $3,000 which is comfortable for me - just need to pay the bills right?  this year November sales are hovering around $700 - devastating for me and this is truly the first time I'm afraid of my being able to earn a living here.  On my little store I haven't sold a thing since 11-14 - really unusual.

Last night I ended all my discounted items - ended my volume discount (which wasn't doing anything anyway) and I ended all my promoted items.  I then went into liquidation mode and created a new bigger - all items discount.  I'd rather give the customer a better buy than stuff more money into eBay pocket.  When my current stock is gone it's gone.  I certainly won't be out there buying inventory only to compete with eBay's pets - the Chinese. And I certainly won't buy into their $.01 baloney.  Do you know that there are 2 Chinese BILLIONAIRES made every single day?  Guess what? that's us doing it.  Wake up America.