Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Nov 7 2018 20:32:15

New Head of eBay Seller Experience Details Major Changes

eBay's new Vice President of Seller Experience Harry Temkin revealed in an interview on Wednesday changes that will be coming to the marketplace and described how they will impact sellers.

eBay CEO Devin Wenig brought his former colleague from Thomson Reuters on board last month as he tries to revive growth.

With a background in financial information and technology, Temkin is tasked with helping Wenig achieve his vision of a more powerful central dashboard for sellers, called Seller Hub.

Temkin envisions sellers viewing their listings in Seller Hub with realtime pricing data on one side and promoted listing settings on the other - and it's easy to see why. Amazon's marketplace success is in part due to fluid product pricing, but it also makes it an incredibly competitive place on which to sell. And making it easier for sellers to pay-for-play increases eBay's take rate.

Here are changes Temkin announced:

Multiple Top Pick (MTP)
eBay already provides pricing guidance, but MTP takes it further. eBay will display off-eBay "web-based" prices of products (low, mid, high), and it will display prices for the top 5 comparable products on eBay (taking into account sellers' policies). MTP is launching to a limited audience starting this week with a full rollout next year.

Price-too-high Notifications and Adjustments
Temkin wants a mechanism to inform sellers in realtime if their product prices aren't comparable to other prices (on or off eBay), and give sellers the ability to either have eBay adjust the price for them, or reduce prices themselves in bulk by a set percentage relative to the prices eBay found.

Seller Initiated Offers
Sellers will be able to initiate an offer to anyone who is watching their listings.

Buyer Initiated Offers
Buyers will be able to initiate an offer to sellers. For example, Product X is listed by multiple sellers at $50. A buyer willing to pay $45 will be able to send a notification to those sellers asking if any would be willing to sell at the lower price.

Listing 1.0
Some of the features eBay foists on consumer sellers will be available as options to business sellers. For example, sellers will be able to choose to automatically relist items that don't sell at a pre-determined lower price or with the Best Offer feature.

Multi-user Access and Authentication
eBay will roll out multi-user access and authentication sometime in the first three months of 2019. This allows an eBay seller to give employees partial or full access to their account.

Social Sharing from Seller Hub
eBay made it easier for sellers to socially share listings using eBay's mobile app, and it will extend that functionality to Seller Hub.

Seller Protections
eBay will work on seller trust issues in 2019 - "As the head of seller experience, it's my job to protect you as the seller," Temkin said. "It's a high priority to add more seller protections."

Temkin's presentation indicates more fluid pricing and paid promoted listings are priorities for eBay in the year ahead.

Perminate Link for New Head of eBay Seller Experience Details Major Changes   New Head of eBay Seller Experience Details Major Changes

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 08:32:16 2018

Seller Trust, We lost trust and respect for eBay and their reps sometime ago we had a lot of success on Amazon these past two years sales have eclipsed eBay by more than 4 times we just started this week moving the rest of our new items to Amazon and when we sell out of used items we are done with them it will take several years but I can't wait

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 08:46:29 2018

Good for those selling widgets or k-cups or whatnot as they can move product easier- good for those of us buying those things as well.  For those of us selling collectibles and one of a kind- not too much affects us- obviously I will ignore the price suggestions (as I've seen those in the past and they tend to be ridiculously low- source me products at those prices and you've made tons of sales to me alone!) .  the make an offer to a watcher is interesting and I think it will help slightly, depending on how easy it is to do (and it doesn't turn off watchers who suddenly get lots of offers in their inbox).  So I for one have no issues with any of it- nothing mandatory, nothing terrible, slight positive.  Better than usual!

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 08:47:11 2018

@No More Ebay

"Details Major Changes"

As opposed to what, the other 5 billion MAJOR changes in the past year and every year before that for the past decade.

You want change, go back to they way you were before the last two bozo's destroyed this site and drove away it's customers. It's BECAUSE of you ebay is so messed up, no in spite of you.

EXACTLY.

Said it before and I'll say it again (to no one listening at ebay)
DUMP IT ALL. Then grab your backups from 12-31-2007. RELOAD.

Stop the nonsense of Can't See Me and GO BACK TO VOYAGER.

And on another subject: Remember when we couldn't WAIT to see Meg go??  Funny how time changes the perception.

Ebay: Piece of advice, stop hiring hedge fund managers, and try getting someone from an actual e-commerce site.  DOOOUUUUHHHHH. The experience from one place just doesn't translate.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 08:59:23 2018

OMG - Price-too-high Notifications and Adjustments
Is SEARS really the route you want to go here? Better yet, buy their bot from them, you will be bankrupt soon too. Make sure you get the feature that lets sellers know that the item is deactivated because fur is not allowed to be sold on Sears (you know those fur covered kitchen utensils!)
*** Note (you know who you are) - This is a joke I don't really want them to buy Sears bot, but it did happen at Sears they delisted due to fur - I sell nothing with fur.

At least Walmart got smart, dumped the price has to be lowest anywhere to be shown and is now my best site by far.

As far this showing prices elsewhere, I am pretty much stunned. I can get the price on google by just going to google shopping, not sure how ebay is making money by sending customers elsewhere.

And, Amazon is not worried about trying to compete with ebay, Amazon is worried about Walmart, and they should be. This is why they are offering 2 day to everyone, because Walmart does. But they did it to themselves, dog pages, hiding sellers that they don't want to show the buy box for, giving the buy box to people who are out of stock. You can't blame people for giving up looking there.

by: golfwidow1 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 09:21:03 2018

We have been on ebay for 20 years and it was great in the beginning but slowly they have tried to be Amazon which is the wrong path. When I purchase from Amazon which isn't very often the item is out of stock and wait days for it.  Ebay isn't Amazon. It was better until all these changes, more sided to buyers than sellers. And I agree about price comparisons being wrong with all the fakes out there.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Nov 8 09:43:39 2018

golfwidow1, they once had something unique and they were successful due to that.

There downfall was trying to be not only like Amazon, but be like everyone else.  I've seen direct evidence of them stealing ideas from Amazon, Pinterest and Poshmark.   They are a jack of all trades and a master of none.  It appears to me that the recent changes that they made as it relates to clothing item specifics were copied directly from Poshmark.  Why?  It makes absolutely no sense.

by: Just Great This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 09:54:38 2018

Sorry I didn’t hear anything there but how to take over my pricing. Sounds like a bully.  They don’t know what we paid and I don’t appreciate customers harassing me all day with ridiculously low offers. I’m busy. They forgot about the fact they make money from our products and hard labor. They have no customer service or love for us sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Thu Nov 8 10:08:54 2018

On the stock-market analogy - tipped-off back in August - ECB posted an article, "eBay Heralds Name Your Price Shopping at Recent Conference":
LINK: http://bit.ly/2JSlYBK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I actually come from the financial information community where I’ve been basically been building product all my life, you know, building analytics, and trading systems for some of the most demanding traders in the world…and so my job ultimately was to build them very sophisticated tools that enabled them to make very quick, informed decisions about trading. And quite frankly, you know, this is just another marketplace- very similar. My intent is to build very, very powerful analytics for all of my sellers.” - Harry Temkin - eBay VP Seller Experience
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Someone said, "''Buyers will be able to initiate an offer to sellers.'' - Nothing new here."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The key difference from the current buyer/seller offers system is that it's currently a "one-to-one" system.

What they are wanting to do is create the ability for concurrent bids/asks between buyers and sellers in a "one-to-many" manner.

Just like trading securities on the stock market, except with widgets.

by: optikrock This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 10:25:02 2018

I think enabling sellers to make offers to watchers is a great idea. I have made this suggestion in the past.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 10:53:23 2018

Some of these suggestions MAY be good - but none if this will ever work if the site itself doesnt work correctly.

You cant get "additional sales" if you spend your time hidding sellers, pushing them down, beating them up.

Just make sales - its really NOT that hard.

I could care less  if they advertise Coke or Geico on "my page", but I take umbridge  if you show other sellers items to try and undercut me (if they are the same or similar items).

Theres NO way I believe that eBay wants to work and protect sellers now - I dare them to prove me wrong - ill GLADLY apologize. But if the Grifter and the other shmoes are examples of eBays HELPING - then forget it - Ive seen this movie before - I know how it ends. BADLY.

This guy is just hid buddy, getting on the eBay gravy train ... the emperor has no new clothes.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 11:19:41 2018

New motor, same leaking hull...I can't contain my excitement.

by: dander This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 12:10:21 2018

Enough on the pricing crap. Its a race to the bottom and hurts everyone. Quit trying to be like Amazon. Can we get someone that has some idea of selling and marketing? Not some code monkey. I do like the idea of posting things to social media and to make offers to people watching an item.

by: Filadelfos This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 12:15:11 2018

"With a background in financial information and technology"... how does this relate to sales & marketing?!

"eBay will display off-eBay "web-based" prices of products (low, mid, high), and it will display prices for the top 5 comparable products on eBay (taking into account sellers' policies)."... yeah, and eBay compares brand-new items to deeply discounted used &/or open box items... will they FIX this before implementation?!  It's not rocket science to check if new or used!!!!

"Temkin wants a mechanism to inform sellers in realtime if their product prices aren't comparable to other prices (on or off eBay)"... AGAIN... they compare brand-new items to used & tell you to lower your price... #FIXIT

"sellers will be able to choose to automatically relist items that don't sell at a pre-determined lower price or with the Best Offer feature."... another race-to-the-bottom prompt. eBay cares NOTHING for sellers of NEW/COLLECTIBLE items, and their margins.

Thesee are all things that work for part-time/casual sellers... the garage sale people eBay keeps claiming they don't want to be associated with!!

"allows an eBay seller to give employees partial or full access to their account." ... Finally something designed for the professional!!

"It's a high priority to add more seller protections." ...  I'll believe it when I see it.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 12:42:50 2018

all that nonsense is for Wall Street. the delusional ceo is just trying to kepis salary for as long as possible.

sellers already know the word games he plays.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 12:44:11 2018

Seller Protections

Someone needs to protect us sellers from "our friends" at EBAY.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Thu Nov 8 12:50:36 2018

25 million sellers, thousands of professional marketing firms across the country. So what does this guy do. Doesn't listen to any of them and hires an executive from the financial services sector to 'revive growth.' A brokerage executive!

Can you imagine if Aliens came down and happened to land on ebay. After a month they would annihilate earth.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Thu Nov 8 12:57:57 2018

"It's a high priority to add more seller protections."

More? You mean more than the single INR protection that's left. More than that one?

ebay has thrown sellers (minus their BFFs the Chinese) to the wolves. Beating them up more and more every quarter. And the final blow was removing the remaining scraps of protection so they could implement with vigor their 4% money grab.

I will never trust anything from this company. They are rotten to the core.

by: gramophone-georg This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 13:08:32 2018

Until the site WORKS- seamlessly and glitch free- including search- whatever else they do simply doesn't matter.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 13:22:06 2018

I am so disgusted and discouraged with ebay these days - so sick of the contantly never ending manipulation of the site - hell if I can't find anything how the hell is a customer supposed to? it's so bad for me now I decided yesterday that I can no longer afford to just sit around listing revising creating - with absolutely little to no money coming in and we are in our peak selling season - well headed back to my brick and mortar to start marking things down like the big box guys are doing before the recession begins. I just can't sit around waiting for buyers on ebay anymore - I don't think they are coming back - too much bad press - too much china crap - hopeless

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Nov 8 14:01:25 2018

My sales are the lowest ever, but I DON'T blame eBay search!

As a buyer I have NO problem finding things to buy on eBay.

As a seller I just wonder where all the buyers went?

I keep buying on eBay to support other sellers, and most of the time prices are cheaper on eBay then they are on Amazon.

PS: My last eBay purchase came in a Amazon box from Amazon Fulfillment Service in a nice Green Grinch Box. . .

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]