Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Aug 2 2017 12:01:50

eBay Tells Sellers to Welcome Zero Feedback Buyers

eBay's Cathal McCarthy said 14 million people became new buyers and new sellers between 2015 and 2017, and eBay executive Hal Lawton urged sellers during last week's seller conference to go out of their way to welcome new buyers.

Lawton said when he joined the company 2 and a half years ago, he heard a lot about zero-feedback buyers, recognizing it can be "uncomfortable" for sellers to deal with new buyers. But he said they were vital to eBay's success.

"How about we all make a commitment that as we see them, we reach out, we treat them with a little extra TLC, because they're the heartbeat of the next 5 to 10 years of eBay," Lawton said.

We see a lot of complaints about zero-feedback buyers, in part because they may be prone to make newbie mistakes, potentially costing sellers time, money, and even their reputation if they receive a negative feedback from an uneducated buyer.

But sellers also recognize that zero-feedback buyers are not necessarily "new" to the marketplace. eBay has been criticized over the years for allowing bad buyers and suspended users to create brand new accounts.

Ultimately, it's up to eBay to protect sellers from clueless buyers - that's how to get sellers to overcome their fear of dealing with new users. Any suggestions? What's been your experience with zero-feedback buyers?

Perminate Link for eBay Tells Sellers to Welcome Zero Feedback Buyers   eBay Tells Sellers to Welcome Zero Feedback Buyers

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 4 00:11:52 2017

I had one bad experience with a 0 feedback buyer that I believe was not a new buyer because they knew how to game the system. But I have had several more that were under 10 feedback who really didn't know what or how to leave feedback and handed out gray's and reds like they were candy. Fortunately they didn't know what they were doing and the feedback was removed.

by: GretchensFetchins This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 4 00:33:45 2017

I've been selling since 1999.
Quite a few sellinc accounts for a number of reasons.

I've hab my share of NPB but none were 0 feedback. I've been scammed and defended by eBay, but not by a 0 feedback buyer.

I'm involved in a dispute with a seasoned eBay buyer seller who attempted to pull one of the oldest scams in the business on me.

He claims ro have been selling there longer than i have. A bully.

We'll see what hapoena but u exoect to win

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Aug 4 03:05:40 2017

@tool

You are being over cautious.  While we are suppose to ship to the address that appears on the PP notification, there is nothing that says it can't be edited to be on two lines or to take the INC. off the address.  The removal of INC does NOT change the address.

I've had addresses that are too long too.  PP allows for the name line, TWO address lines, a city line, State and zip.  Just split up the address into the two lines that are allowed.  It is still the same address which meets the requirements of PP, you are just changing the presentation which is NOT a problem.

by: Gemz This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 4 05:07:06 2017

MR. TOOLGUY...Yes, you can stop ebay zero feedback buyers quite easily! You put in your ad that you will not sell to anyone without at least 10 feedbacks. Then if one does click buy it now, you just cancel the transaction. If they paid, refund them and then cancel the transaction. In my book that's stopping them in EVERY sense of the word since they are not getting your merch and they can't leave feedback if the transaction never took place. You can just put down that the customer asked you to cancel the transaction. For those of you that know, like I, these zeros when it comes to high end product are nearly worthless in a lot of ways. The odds of them paying are close to zero. The time wasted is incredible each year. The money lost is beyond comprehension. I have been turning them away for years now and I have absolutely no problem doing so in the future. It saves me time, money, and my wits. In rare instances and immediate payment without questions up front like "Whats your return policy" and "what if it doesn't match the description" then I will allow one to go through but you ask those questions on a $1000 and above item and you are going to be used as a rental house for some upcoming wedding or event in their life where they want to wear incredible diamond jewelry and then return it after the event. The first 5 years on ebay taught me that all too well! NO THANKS!

by: songe-d-automne This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 4 12:23:45 2017

Buyer feedback is meaningless anyway. I still have had buyer message me and beg me to leave feedback, even though they have over 1,000. I sit looking at my screen and say Why? I doesn't even mean anything because all we sellers can leave are positives so matter how big of a jackass the buyer was.

I hit one lady with a negative positive last month because she left me a negative without contacting me first. The .05 piece of elastic holding on a small $5.00 doll's arms broke and Bam! my only negative. I left her feedback saying "Will leave a negative without ever contacting seller"

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Aug 4 12:43:13 2017

@gemz

And for every one you cancel, you get a defect.  So you really aren't hurting the buyer as much as you are hurting yourself and your selling account.

Cancelling the transaction does NOT block a buyer from leaving FB.  So if none of your buyers have ever left FB for you when you have cancelled the transaction, it has been by choice, not force.

Certainly you can choose a buyer's reason for filing the cancellation, but Ebay does watch for sellers improperly using this process and if you are caught, you will be sanctioned.  Of course you have the right to choose if you want to risk this or not.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 4 13:32:18 2017

wonder what % of those great new buyers are scammers coming back with a new ID?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Aug 4 15:50:47 2017

A VERY low percentage I'm sure.  The vast majority of new members are good honest people searching for something they need or desire.

I understand that some new member and/or new IDs are problematic buyers.  And they certainly can create plenty of chaos and/or loss of money.  But they are a small portion of the buyers we deal with.  I'm not minimizing the impact these types of buyers but there are plenty of good buyers to offset these issues.

Some categories have more than their share of problematic buyers.  Like electronics, jewelry and fashions.

But just because a buyer is new does not mean they are bad buyers.

1 2 3