Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Nov 27 2017 21:44:07

eBay Literally Asked Sellers about Their Loyalty to Amazon

In a survey in September, eBay asked sellers if they were more loyal to eBay or to Amazon. Surprising, but even more intriguing: what is eBay planning to do with that information?

In September, eBay conducted a survey asking sellers how they felt about fulfillment services. As part of that survey, eBay also asked sellers about their loyalty to Amazon and about eBay's new Guaranteed Delivery program.

Here are some of the questions eBay asked in the September survey:

Which of the following best describes your sales in dollars on Amazon compared to eBay? Select one:
- I sell more on Amazon
- I sell about the same on Amazon and eBay
- I sell more on eBay

Which of the following most accurately describes your relationship with eBay and with Amazon? Select one

- I am more loyal to Amazon than eBay
- I am more loyal to eBay than Amazon
- I am equally loyal to both eBay and Amazon

Are each of the following better with Amazon, better with eBay, or somewhere in between? Select one in each row

(Much better with Amazon; Somewhat better with Amazon; About the same; Somewhat better with eBay; Much better with eBay; Not applicable)

- Enabling me to provide customer support to my customers
- Ease of accepting returns
- Shipping orders to the customer
- Ease of use
- The customer support I receive from the platform
- Cost
- Targeting your customers
- Creating listings
- The number of returns I have vs. sales

eBay also wanted to know how survey respondents thought eBay Guaranteed Delivery would change the way they did business - the options they offered provide some interesting insight into the challenges eBay believes the program may face:

- I'll lose money on shipping because of the per-region shipping costs
- I'll save money on shipping because of the per-region shipping costs
- My listings will be deprioritized (lower rank in search) because I can't guarantee delivery times, and I will sell less
- My listings will be prioritized (higher rank in search) by eBay Guaranteed Delivery
- I'll end up spending more money fixing orders that aren't fulfilled on time
- I'll end up spending more time dealing with orders that aren't fulfilled on time
- I'll spend more time fulfilling orders, since they need to be done immediately
- I will be able to sell more because I am opted into eBay Guaranteed Delivery
- Other (please specify)
- I don't know how eBay Guaranteed Delivery will impact my business
- eBay Guaranteed Delivery will not impact my business

eBay CEO Devin Wenig famously said in June, "The world doesn't need an almost-as-good Amazon," but it's clear he wants to know how sellers compare the two marketplaces, and he may view Guaranteed Delivery and an eBay fulfillment service as possible tactics to compete against his 800-pound marketplace rival.

Perminate Link for eBay Literally Asked Sellers about Their Loyalty to Amazon   eBay Literally Asked Sellers about Their Loyalty to Amazon

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 18:42:00 2017

AMZ is doing everything right, as witnessed by this Forbes headline and statement:https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnnyjet/2017/11/28/best-credi
t-card-for-amazon-purchases/?ss=personalfinance#6bd169e1251d

"Chase
Amazon Credit Cards: Highest Everyday Cashback Reward
Amazon offers two co-branded cash rewards credit cards with Chase. These cards shouldn't be confused with the Amazon Store Card issued by Synchrony Bank which is only a store charge card."

What Ebay needs to do is find a way to co-venture with a bank or a B&M etailer and offer a "rewards" credit card or even lockers for customers to drop off and pick up their purchases.  I recently bought an item from AMZ /FBA and had to return it.  It was so simple.  Print out the return label, slap it on the envelope and walk it down to the AMZ lockers, put it in the bin.  When I got home I had an email from AMZ that they received the return and had issued a REFUND!  omg - perfect, and that's how you get loyalty.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 29 10:33:06 2017

ebay announces biggest 1-day sales ever occurred on Cyber Monday...so what happens?
Stock sell-off today...down 3% as of 10:30. They've done one-half a day's worth of trading in the 1st hour.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 29 12:24:33 2017

they will of course try to be even more like amazon...and lose...

by: dander This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 29 12:24:36 2017

I wish ebay would get back to basics. enough of this guaranteed delivery crap. My sales have taken a crap. I have to wonder if its because of guaranteed delivery.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 29 12:52:32 2017

eBay has the answers as to what sellers think of them, Devin would rather dwell in his strong delusion and dead marketplace traffic and kill ebay like he is with his fantasy agenda, all the while Walmart partnered with Google in a multi-billion dollar deal to move web traffic to Walmart.com while Devin is trying to get buyers to fill up his broken shopping cart.

But Seller Hub and selling promoted listings is the way forward for this misguided CEO.

e-on-my-screen-have-to-make-it/m-p/27396173#M11890

years on ebay AND I'AM DONE WITH THEM. ALL I WANT IS MY OLD SCREEN BACK AND I Cant get it!!  this new hub is to much wasted space, have to make everything smaller to fit it all on.  cant see if the same person is bidding on multiple items without clicking on each one. can't leave well enough alone!!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Nov 29 13:28:25 2017

Devin says he doesn't want eBay to be another Amazon, but he sure seems to be obsessed with Amazon and how they operate.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 29 13:52:06 2017

Devin should ask Bezos for a job because he is going to be removed from the eBay HQ building shortly, you can't run a ecommerce marketplace on delusions and grand fantasies and filling up broken carts with colors.........

by: Scott98 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 29 15:00:45 2017

ebay should be worried. Their bots suspended my account for a few days and falsely claimed an off-site transaction occurred after freight shipping information was provided. After selling on eBay since 1999, I'll be moving elsewhere for the first time.  I'll be listing on Etsy, CL, Chairish, Bonanza, maybe Amazon and Ruby Lane this week. And get my own site going. Thanks, eBay!

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 29 23:52:49 2017

They just don’t have any original ideas on eBay. They copied walMart and had Walmart listings as a partner.  They lost Target because eBay sellers were buying sale items and selling them for higher prices than Target and Target ran out of items due toneBsy sellers.
eBay was unique once but copying others because they have no ideas except restricting seller communication with buyers because they don’t get that those buyers will come back to those sellers. They should stop being so paranoid about losing fees...well by raising fees and doing away with TRS discoun on fees did they expect happy sellers?

They are losing fashion to Poshmark, jewelry to large online consignment stores. I’d be afraid to ship consignment with eBay since their processes are “subject o change without notice” They lack consistency and originality. Many people ask for delayed shipping but then you get dinged. During holidays travel plans come into play. Lack of flexibility = poor customer service which seems to be an eBsy requirement.

by: ox-mix This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 29 23:54:25 2017

Hmmm... who is this Devil Wenig everyone speaks of?

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Nov 30 00:27:21 2017

I wish they had asked me.

eBay loyalty: 99%

Amazon: 1% (and that's when I can't find it anywhere else)

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 30 02:40:43 2017

Ebay's customers are not the buyers it's the sellers and they continue to find ways to milk more out of them. They are farming and we are the crop!

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 30 02:49:37 2017

I need both marketplaces because they each attract a different customer. A lot of the items I sell on Amazon doesn't sell on eBay and vice-versa.

by: treasureattic This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 30 07:56:17 2017

Ebay needs to realize that the majority of their buyers are also sellers. The more they keep screwing the sellers, the more buyers they lose. They should have left well enough alone, because all of these "improvements" they have made this year, have killed sales for a large number of sellers. Not to mention taking listings off Google...

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 30 08:44:19 2017

Devin's structured data and catalog is a disaster, a waste of time, no buyer wastes time reading data about a iPad, yet ebay slaps pages full of catalog data and hides the sellers description, search is even worse where they give the searcher so many boxes to click on they just close out the page and leave ebay because eBay will not present straight search results for the buyer to see without them having to click many additional times.

The search pages are cluttered with Devin's structured data abominations and are a waste of time just as he has made listings filled with generic catalog data a massive waste of the buyers time.

You only have so much time to get the buyers attention and Devin has failed on search and on the new listing forms they are putting out with catalog data in place of the sellers description.

Time for a new CEO, Devin has officially killed eBay, he has had more than enough time to prove himself and all he has proved is that he is a massive flop.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 30 08:46:34 2017

I have no loyalty to Amazon - simple my category is closed and without forking over $800 for a bribe I can't get in. I have no loyalty to ebay either - let's see Cyber Monday did anyone do good? 3 stores - thousands of items on sale - only 15% off because even the ebay teks couldn't fix that glitch - wanted to run a higher sale but the program was broken. So this over hyped cyber monday yielded me 2 sales $22 total.  Amazon stock $1,1200  ebay stock $34 hummm - geez this one is hard to figure out isn't it? Not really and it's all so sad - what was once the might champion is not the worst place to sell.  Guess I'll give Etsy a shot but I don't hold out much for them either.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 30 10:08:23 2017

As a buyer, I preferred ebay, I do not like to buy on Amazon and part of that reason was the forced return shipping policy (where I may have to pay more than necessary to return an item to amazon or now to any seller).

As a seller, they are equally bad.
Both have put in place terrible hoops for me to jump which only benefit the dishonest buyer and apparently now the dishonest seller.
On ebay, a found a seller completely using the ebay "return" process to keep me from getting a refund/ item/ information and it worked!!!  I had to call my CSR for advice.

For those interested:
Ordered 3 cases of padded envelopes, rec'd 2, according to tracking only 2 ever sent. No other tracking uploaded. Gave it awhile, still no 3rd box. Sent email to seller (supply..t), no answer. Sent official tracking request - seller escalates to ebay rep (within minutes of receipt) who decide it was delivered and close case, still no comments or answer to my request to track the 3rd box, figuring now it was never sent.
Ok, sent another email to seller, 2 days, no response.
Enter one "missing items" request which unfortunately turned into a "return" request (because ebay offered no other solution for missing items!) to try to get a response and explaining issue again on the request.  Within the hour, the request was approved - to return something I do not have.
Called ebay, open return request for all items, assured if I return the ones I have, I will get full refund for all items. Which from experience I know is true (if it were on me anyway).
Put in all the return requests which strangely were not immediately approved.
Finally, I get the 3rd box in the mail. Within hours of delivery, the returns are approved.
At any point in this mess, seller could have said, we mailed the box 10 days after we marked it shipped, they didn't. No email or anything. The box was mailed after the original order was delivered but before I made any request for tracking, so the simple solution would have been for them to provide the tracking number for the third box and that would have been the end of it in an honest way. I will never buy from them again. It caused me time, stress and needed the items so I had to repurchase from someone else.

Point is, that return system worked to prevent buyer from receiving help, not helping buyer.

One size fits all is really not the solution for return requests but it is also the only one for amazon as well, already buyers paying more to return items than they needed to.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 30 10:10:47 2017

All the above mentioned "leaders" will profit handsomely off these Tax Cuts...
which will cripple the middle class... and OUR incomes... for a lifetime.
Just like the import of cheap Made In China has...

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Nov 30 10:45:05 2017

I hear all these complaints about "china"

The solution is to STOP buying china and to stop selling china.

If you buy or sell chinese made products you are part of the problem!

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 1 13:43:11 2017