Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Nov 27 2017 21:44:07

eBay Literally Asked Sellers about Their Loyalty to Amazon

In a survey in September, eBay asked sellers if they were more loyal to eBay or to Amazon. Surprising, but even more intriguing: what is eBay planning to do with that information?

In September, eBay conducted a survey asking sellers how they felt about fulfillment services. As part of that survey, eBay also asked sellers about their loyalty to Amazon and about eBay's new Guaranteed Delivery program.

Here are some of the questions eBay asked in the September survey:

Which of the following best describes your sales in dollars on Amazon compared to eBay? Select one:
- I sell more on Amazon
- I sell about the same on Amazon and eBay
- I sell more on eBay

Which of the following most accurately describes your relationship with eBay and with Amazon? Select one

- I am more loyal to Amazon than eBay
- I am more loyal to eBay than Amazon
- I am equally loyal to both eBay and Amazon

Are each of the following better with Amazon, better with eBay, or somewhere in between? Select one in each row

(Much better with Amazon; Somewhat better with Amazon; About the same; Somewhat better with eBay; Much better with eBay; Not applicable)

- Enabling me to provide customer support to my customers
- Ease of accepting returns
- Shipping orders to the customer
- Ease of use
- The customer support I receive from the platform
- Cost
- Targeting your customers
- Creating listings
- The number of returns I have vs. sales

eBay also wanted to know how survey respondents thought eBay Guaranteed Delivery would change the way they did business - the options they offered provide some interesting insight into the challenges eBay believes the program may face:

- I'll lose money on shipping because of the per-region shipping costs
- I'll save money on shipping because of the per-region shipping costs
- My listings will be deprioritized (lower rank in search) because I can't guarantee delivery times, and I will sell less
- My listings will be prioritized (higher rank in search) by eBay Guaranteed Delivery
- I'll end up spending more money fixing orders that aren't fulfilled on time
- I'll end up spending more time dealing with orders that aren't fulfilled on time
- I'll spend more time fulfilling orders, since they need to be done immediately
- I will be able to sell more because I am opted into eBay Guaranteed Delivery
- Other (please specify)
- I don't know how eBay Guaranteed Delivery will impact my business
- eBay Guaranteed Delivery will not impact my business

eBay CEO Devin Wenig famously said in June, "The world doesn't need an almost-as-good Amazon," but it's clear he wants to know how sellers compare the two marketplaces, and he may view Guaranteed Delivery and an eBay fulfillment service as possible tactics to compete against his 800-pound marketplace rival.

Perminate Link for eBay Literally Asked Sellers about Their Loyalty to Amazon   eBay Literally Asked Sellers about Their Loyalty to Amazon

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 27 22:31:03 2017

ebay will never become or compete with amazon, ebay is too busy finding ways to punish sellers, no time to do anything else

I have been checking ''eBay's latest failure, Guaranteed 1 2 3 and 4 day Delivery''   with many common search terms, and for me every time it shows 0  listings , not sure what's going on, but I would have expected at least 1 listing , but nothing

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Nov 27 23:38:22 2017

Actually when it comes to making a PROFIT off internet sales eBay is head to head with Amazon!

Amazon makes most of it's profit from cloud storage services!

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 00:57:09 2017

Suspicion confirmed...ebay is the red-headed stepchild of e-commerce

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 01:17:49 2017

Survey was taken before the stock dropped $3. It hasn't finished above $36 for 18 straight days.
What does Wenig see when he looks in the mirror?...besides 496,000 shares...

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Nov 28 05:11:55 2017

Perhaps Devin 'borrowed' the idea of a loyalty oath from our president.

In any case, we should have as much 'loyalty' to these over managed marketplaces as they have for us.

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 07:23:54 2017

"'borrowed' the idea of a loyalty oath from our president."

Give the guy a break.  At least he hasn't "shut down the internet" yet.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 08:28:46 2017

If they were looking for some kine of "validation" from their seller base - ie "have they gone too far with their anti business policies" ... they will just get the answers they want .. since its all doctored anyway.

Any negative answers will get chucked - just like responses on eBays own Lithium boards.

eBay spends its days looking to push everything on sellers. They have tried every stupid idea short of adding on a fee to pay to fill the vending machines in San Jose.

Im as loyal to eBay as they are to me, which says alot ... lol

If I as a long time seller is not believed when an issue arises, then I cant be "loyal" to them "either". As well, when traffic is routed away from me because I wont do 60 day returns, I cant be loyal to them either. When Amazon sales are 10 to 1 over eBay .... its hard to be loyal to ebay.

Moreover - Ive TRIED to reach out to them, but I get rebuffed. I have access to MANY items in many categories - but am reticent to try them due to fraud and abuse by buyers - and eBay refuses to even discuss the issue(s) with me .. never mind the fake VERO crap.

Im "here" on eBay to make sales, not friends, not talk politics, not exchange cooking tips - help me make sales and you will make money - ignore me - and it goes to what ever OTHER platform wants to embrace me.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 08:50:14 2017

I think these questions are rather unnecessary. The managers at eBay know the answers. I think it is only a means to confirm what they already know. That said, what they will do with their information remains to be seen.

I opted into Guaranteed Delivery at the minimum level as it was already something that I was achieving. I believe the program became available to all buyers on November 8th. My sales have been down since November 9th. Coincidence?  Perhaps but not likely.  All eBay did was add a day to the expected delivery; first class mail used to be within 3 days, they changed it to 4. Since the default setting setting at the top of the page is 3 days, guess what? My listings don't show up. If I want to make the 3 days I need to use Priority Mail.

It is beginning to appear that Guaranteed Delivery is nothing more than a roundabout way to "encourage" sellers to use expedited mail services.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 09:26:32 2017

Amazon is lead by Bezos who is a computer expert, we have Devin a lawyer who is not qualified to do anything but drop buzz words on Wall Street like AI, Augmented reality, Structured Data, Seller Hub and Promoted Listings, we all know it is nothing but fraud.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Nov 28 10:32:00 2017

If I didn't read this forum I wouldn't know about 90% of the problems people say eBay has!

My eBay is pretty much the same as it's always been.

Steady sales for 17 years. . . .

Not many returns and not many non payers!

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 11:03:17 2017

Loyalty? To either one of them? Give me a freaking break!

I'm on both of them to make a buck. Amazon provides more bucks to me than eBay. I have no desire to be warm and cozy with either. They are not my friends and I will not invite them home for a friendly drink and chat....

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 11:44:38 2017

Sorry Tool, Devin is even ruining MyeBay with his new pages, that purchase history page is an abomination he is trying to force on sellers, it is the Seller Hubification of MyeBay, he has even ruined the feedback forms to the point where I will not give feedback to sellers any longer, only to my buyers.

Devin is hell bent on ruining eBay the marketplace as we once knew it, it will never be the same because it is now a maze of confusion for buyers and sellers with his 'sponsored ads casino' running rampant.

If the morons want to know what sellers really think of them all they would need to do is read their seller hub forums but that does not fit in to their 'idiotic intelligence' agenda very well.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 12:14:41 2017

While signed in to one of my accounts, I plugged in the item number for an item live on one of my other accounts.

When the Search found it and presented it to me (in a box all it's own), it had a blurb at top right saying: Guaranteed 3 day shipping.

When you actually click and open the listing, you see the item is to be sent 1st Class Mail, with a 10-day handling time.

So, they're showing 3 days for a 1st Class piece that may not be sent out for 10 days.

Good programming...

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 12:33:01 2017

Amazon has the biggest day in the history of online shopping, eBay has Devin telling the world that this is the biggest day in the history of eBay all the while they can't even serve web pages to users........

by: Troy Stiffler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 13:19:45 2017

Ebay isn't on my radar anymore. If a product is properly integrated to Amazon, the "dropship" sellers will copy listings to Ebay. I couldn't care less. They've hurt me so many times I don't care anymore.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 13:56:20 2017

I never had any problems selling on amazon. fleecebay, every day new problems.

end of the year, or sooner, I am done with fleecebay

buying, never had a problem with amazon. fleecebay, I don't even bother, to much junk and poor sellers. I had a few choice sellers I did buy from, but, to no surprise, they also left fleecebay.

so, I'm loyal to amazon. with the survey, fleecebay will twist it to: you spoke, we listened, we raised fees!!

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 14:10:39 2017

At least the survey seems to suggest they have a loyalty problem, that's always a good first step in fixing stuff, but as mentioned above, ebay will probably just throw the negative results into the trash bin.

Bigger companies then ebay have failed, and ebay is no exception, they are definitely going down, more and more every year, at one time they were the 800 LB. Gorilla to beat, now they are the 80 LB. weak Chimp compared to Amazon

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Nov 28 15:00:34 2017

@ESB

"What eBay should ask sellers is what they think of Devin, they would not like the answers."

I would bet 75% of eBay sellers have NO clue who Devin is!

And most don't care. . .

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 15:26:42 2017

@ toolguy

"I would bet 75% of eBay sellers have NO clue who Devin is!"

lol -- I agree, you're very likely correct on that.

by: Studiolines This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 28 17:45:32 2017

Maybe they are going to try to set up fulfillment and try to pull Amazon fulfillment sellers. Another me too move for Ebay.

Ebay is an absolute miserable HUGE FAIL at loyalty for their sellers. I can't imagine they would even suggest sellers have any loyalty to them.