Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Feb 6 2016 22:45:18

Etsy Hit with Direct Checkout Outage

An outage hit Etsy's Direct Checkout system early Saturday morning, and as of this evening has yet to be fixed. It appears to be only affecting credit card payments through Etsy's system. Buyers and sellers began discussed the issue on the company's Bugs forum and on social networking sites like Twitter. At 9:42 am, a seller said they had orders that had been failing to be processed for hours.

It appears that customers can check out using other payment methods through Etsy Direct Checkout (such as PayPal), and they can also checkout if the seller offers their own payment methods (for example, their own PayPal account or merchant credit card account).

A buyer asked Etsy on Twitter at 9:20 am, "Are there DC issues? My instant download orders are not "instant" because the payment is "processing" for unusually long time?" At 12:21 pm, another buyer tweeted, "I can't view my cart and now I can't log in. Fix immediately this issue since 7 am come on."

Etsy reported the problem on its Status announcement board at 10:32 am ET, writing, "We are currently experiencing a delay with processing order payments. We're working closely with our service provider to quickly resolve this issue."

Etsy posted updates periodically. At 11:27 am ET it wrote, "We are continuing to work with our third party service provider on this issue. This should only be affecting refunds on credit card orders, and orders placed with a credit card on Etsy. Orders placed using PayPal should continue to process normally."

At 6:50 pm, a seller tweeted, "I'm trying to be patient but I haven't been able to process orders coming in for the last 8 hours!"

The last update as of the writing of this blog post was at 9:47 pm ET when Etsy wrote on the Status board, "We are still working with our service provider to reach a solution to the ongoing issues with processing credit card payments and refunds. We will continue to update you as we learn more."

Etsy recently had another issue with its Direct Checkout system - see this blog post. It's a sensitive topic as Etsy is pushing sellers to accept Etsy's own PayPal account in Direct Checkout.

Etsy isn't the only marketplace experiencing technical issues. Amazon had an outage with its checkout system for 3 hours on Tuesday night, and today (Saturday), the Amazon UK website was down for about an hour.

Update 2/7/16: Problems remain, but Etsy appears to be making progress. Here's a Sunday morning post on its Status page:

10:28am ET We are still working to resolve the issue. We have seen some progress and have been able to complete some transactions this morning. We'll have another update by 11:30 AM ET

Update 2/7/16 9:14 pm ET: Here's our coverage in Monday's EcommerceBytes Newsflash with the latest as of Sunday evening.

Perminate Link for Etsy Hit with Direct Checkout Outage   Etsy Hit with Direct Checkout Outage

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 10:20:24 2016

Wow, 'The End'; I am so sorry to hear this. I do hope those transactions are processed soon for you and your customers! That's horrible to still not have them processed.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Tue Feb 9 10:48:22 2016

the question really is.. how many sales were totally lost and not recorded in any way what so ever?
my guess-- thousands and thousands that were not able to check out at all?

extremely low views on Saturday. Was this all just a test that went horribly wrong?

I find their excuses of a third party at fault to be less than believably. Etsy Lies over and over again. Why believe them on this.. another huge disaster?

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 11:11:21 2016

I just checked the etsy forums on this issue and there's still people that have not had their orders processed and really pressing for answers now and I don't blame them. I am also reading that in protest some sellers have turned off their Direct Checkout only to discover when they went to turn it back on that it no longer kept the DC and Paypal separate like it was for them; it now went to DC alone, and they have no way to change it back. Etsy posted responses to this saying to contact them if this happens so that they can privately and directly work with the seller through their shop. Indicating this should not happen and that they apparently are willing to change that. My guess is they gave the deadline to make a choice of what you want and if you change that after the deadline that's why they can't go back. I think a seller should have the right to change it to whatever they want whenever they want. So be forewarned; if you had stand alone DC and paypal separate and you turn of DC now you will not be able to have stand alone separate again; you will automatically have DC; unless they somehow change that for you.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 11:14:18 2016

PS: I am also reading posts where customers are contacting the sellers about their order and the seller has no record of their order at all yet; and so the question now is; are some buyers saying they have orders that really don't? Hopefully that would not happen but you and I know there are crooks out there.

by: Robin This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 14:14:44 2016

Cayenna, who was the Etsy employee responding to you that way or was it another seller?

Where can I see this particular exchange?  Which thread, what page?    Thanks!

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 14:33:44 2016

Hi Robin, I will try to find it and if I do I will post it.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 14:44:31 2016

Here's the beginning of the thread Robin:

by: lula This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 14:54:18 2016

I had almost two dozen orders this weekend stuck in processing, and another two on Monday morning.  All but one of Sundays has posted as of Tuesday 1:30 pm CST.
There is  much more at play here.  Remember how the Google Ads disappeared for several days?  If this truly were a 3rd party issue then a letter from the 3rd party principle apologizing for the fiasco would have accompanied the eventual announcement.  Wouldn't you want to deflect the blame if it weren't your fault?  I don't believe it is the 3rd party processor any more than I believe Google had a problem around Christmas.  Etsy plays fast and loose with our businesses. I appreciate the venue, but certainly do keep one eye open at all times and am working feverishly to build the traffic to our stand-alone website.
And btw, am I the only one who has gone into the Etsy remarks and noticed that a flippant apology did not appear until later on Saturday, the first comments were just acknowledging an issue.  It was not until today that Hailey from Etsy said ''we're deeply sorry''.  Really?  How thoughtful of your committee to suggest someone might even put on the illusion of caring.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 15:06:24 2016

PS Robin, If you are referring to  my comment about the thread where a seller receiving emails from customers about their orders and there's no record of them; I may have more difficulty finding that one but if I do I will post the thread.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 15:24:45 2016

Here's another thread link with etsy Admin re Direct Checkout and Paypal even though this is off the issue here. Sorry Ina. Just wanted to include this with the other links I have already posted. Thank you!

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 16:24:44 2016

We never linked our paypal account to Direct Checkout, so is was just a mater of turning DC Off, but for etsy to permanently link a sellers paypal account to Direct Checkout FOREVER without any options, to opt out, would have me screaming right now, if were me, I would certainly do whatever it took to remove the DC / paypal link, including closing down my etsy shop, if needed,

I cannot even begin to describe how wrong this is, even ebay allows you to link or unlink your paypal account,

I have also read that etsy is canceling some sellers sales, that were processing, so Do Not Ship until the sale fully processed, it might not be a sale at all.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Tue Feb 9 17:00:10 2016

if you close your account and open a new one - you have to take DC and DC Paypal.

Etsy stock closed today @ $6.36 :-)

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 19:10:32 2016

Hi White Rabbit,
Keep in mind according the what I have read earlier today that if you close shop and open a new one some sellers have not been seeing ANY paypal option at all in checkout; not even integrated with DC.  Etsy Admin responded to this complaint and they said they fixed it. But I am sure there's many out there that would like to know this...

by: Royal Presence This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 20:47:35 2016

Not really sure what happened with the third party payment processor. I thought I knew who they were using but didn't say any outage issues or concerns there.

They (Etsy) are supposed to update again at 10:00 p.m., EST tonight, February 9th.

I'm fortunate and have the separate accounts of PayPal and Direct Checkout and was not affected. I hope this will soon get ultimate resolution for everyone quite quickly.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 23:09:44 2016

I have separate DC and separate paypal and I still had problems not seeing orders.
On a different note it is interesting that even eBay allows you to turn on and off integration for payment...unlike etsy.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Wed Feb 10 00:13:59 2016

Worldpay? and the word is they clearly stated that etsy was to blame.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Feb 10 15:55:33 2016

Hi cayenna,
It's all good now  :o)
The rest of the year should go smoothly....

1 2 3