Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Feb 6 2016 22:45:18

Etsy Hit with Direct Checkout Outage

An outage hit Etsy's Direct Checkout system early Saturday morning, and as of this evening has yet to be fixed. It appears to be only affecting credit card payments through Etsy's system. Buyers and sellers began discussed the issue on the company's Bugs forum and on social networking sites like Twitter. At 9:42 am, a seller said they had orders that had been failing to be processed for hours.

It appears that customers can check out using other payment methods through Etsy Direct Checkout (such as PayPal), and they can also checkout if the seller offers their own payment methods (for example, their own PayPal account or merchant credit card account).

A buyer asked Etsy on Twitter at 9:20 am, "Are there DC issues? My instant download orders are not "instant" because the payment is "processing" for unusually long time?" At 12:21 pm, another buyer tweeted, "I can't view my cart and now I can't log in. Fix immediately this issue since 7 am come on."

Etsy reported the problem on its Status announcement board at 10:32 am ET, writing, "We are currently experiencing a delay with processing order payments. We're working closely with our service provider to quickly resolve this issue."

Etsy posted updates periodically. At 11:27 am ET it wrote, "We are continuing to work with our third party service provider on this issue. This should only be affecting refunds on credit card orders, and orders placed with a credit card on Etsy. Orders placed using PayPal should continue to process normally."

At 6:50 pm, a seller tweeted, "I'm trying to be patient but I haven't been able to process orders coming in for the last 8 hours!"

The last update as of the writing of this blog post was at 9:47 pm ET when Etsy wrote on the Status board, "We are still working with our service provider to reach a solution to the ongoing issues with processing credit card payments and refunds. We will continue to update you as we learn more."

Etsy recently had another issue with its Direct Checkout system - see this blog post. It's a sensitive topic as Etsy is pushing sellers to accept Etsy's own PayPal account in Direct Checkout.

Etsy isn't the only marketplace experiencing technical issues. Amazon had an outage with its checkout system for 3 hours on Tuesday night, and today (Saturday), the Amazon UK website was down for about an hour.

Update 2/7/16: Problems remain, but Etsy appears to be making progress. Here's a Sunday morning post on its Status page:

10:28am ET We are still working to resolve the issue. We have seen some progress and have been able to complete some transactions this morning. We'll have another update by 11:30 AM ET

Update 2/7/16 9:14 pm ET: Here's our coverage in Monday's EcommerceBytes Newsflash with the latest as of Sunday evening.

Perminate Link for Etsy Hit with Direct Checkout Outage   Etsy Hit with Direct Checkout Outage

by: Anton Yermolenko This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 03:53:14 2016

Well, you become big and your problems are no longer just problems but news. I wish Etsy recovers soon.

by: sundance This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 06:24:39 2016

So very glad I did not sign up for their direct check out thing.  I have PayPal and will take USPS money orders.  Nothing else.  Sorry so many are having problems.  Whenever Etsy has a " ew and

by: sundance This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 06:29:51 2016

Sorry, hit wrong button ... A "new and improved" feature, I back off immediately. I've been on there long enough (since 2007) to be wary.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Feb 8 07:04:36 2016

Almost 7am Monday Feb 8th, still no Etsy payment processing.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon Feb 8 08:07:35 2016

I notice a new Etsy police of blaming others every time something like this happens. :-) 3rd party glitch? LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon Feb 8 08:23:00 2016

police= policy :-)

Just saying this is going to cost Etsy sellers $$$millions and etsy too as the sellers are Etsy's only income source. going on day 3 in a very short month (feb). Ticked off buyers and sellers. Etsy reports their income in the next day or so for wallstreet.. or continued lack of income. the past year their income has been less than zero. they are expected to show a tiny profit after the Dec holidays.(pennys). incompetence like this continued software issues will be a bigger issue in a few months when there is less income to report and less GMS.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 08:49:55 2016

it's definitely like watching ''Tiny Talent Time'' over at etsy this weekend, with an administrator even going so far as to say ship your items regardless, of payment, then another saying not to ship, good thing etsy is meaning less to our overall sales, otherwise we would be joining the tens of thousands of sellers freaking out, right now.

Although some of our weekend sales have fully processed, new ones are being delayed the same, so IMO this is not fixed, at all

etsy definitely needs some professional help, in PR, as they seem to be making this worst then it probably is.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 09:17:32 2016

We will also be turning OFF etsy Direct Checkout, not because of us, but because of our customers, their appears to be some issue with it, and if it's security related we wouldn't want it affecting our customers, and until we feel confident it's fixed and secure, it will remain off.

by: csmih731 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 09:17:57 2016

8:00 am CST Monday morning... My order from 6:00 pm Friday evening finally went through sometime between Sunday night and this morning, over 52 hours after the order! I hope we don't have to deal with this too often. Really glad I didn't integrate PayPal with Direct Checkout.

by: Noneya This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 10:57:08 2016

That's nice. No sales over the weekend and I find out why from Ina not Etsy. Shouldn't seller's receive an email?
Kind of typical Etsy: Colossal muckup with zero info given to sellers outside of the forums.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 11:18:54 2016

This is pretty interesting you may like to read it: I just posted this message on etsy under bugs related to Direct Checkout and the present issue:
SINCE MANY OF US ARE USING ETSY DIRECT CHECKOUT AND TRUSTING ETSY WITH THE MONEY; IS THERE A REASON WHY ETSY STILL HAS NOT PROVIDED ITS SELLERS WITH AN ACTUAL CUSTOMER SERVICE PHONE NUMBER WE CAN CALL?

Here's the responses I got and my responses:

What would you call them and say? Etsy is aware of the issue and tech support isn't going to pull one transaction to complete it: they are going through pending orders possibly clearing 1000s, 10,000s at a time.

You just posted the same thing on the last page. ?? If Etsy ever added phone support they sure won't do it when something like this is occurring.

My Response:

So you feel comfortable banking at a bank that you cannot call?
I would like to know why this happened, including whether my acct was compromised.
I posted this again because I could not find my last post.

Their response:

Yes, I'm sorry you feel you need to speak to someone. Etsy was not the only venue affected by this issue. Some orders are still going to pending but are clearing faster.

If you go through all the pages in this thread you will see that Etsy has updated as they went along. The explanations have become a bit more detailed. IMO Etsy wasn't sure what was going on in the beginning.

My response:

You say etsy was not sure what was going on in the beginning. So are you saying etsy knows now? All that I have read is a problem with the third party. I have not heard what the cause is, or whether my acct has been compromised. Can you answer that?

Their response:

Like I said I am sorry you feel the need to speak to someone. I am simply stating its not going to happen. You can ask all you want but Etsy isn't going to start picking up phone calls in the middle of this to answer questions. They are busy trying to push batches through to clear them for everyone.

We will probably never know exactly what happened and I am ok with that. Etsy is not a bank.

My Response:

You are speaking for etsy then that they will never have a customer service line to call? Etsy is banking my profits, processing orders, w/holding profits; distributing profits etc; that's banking. I do agree that we will probably never know the cause which is not ok w/me. I am not going to argue, I have a right to make a phone call when my customers, and my money is involved.

Their response:

I have never spoken for Etsy.

I am done responding. You are obviously upset and I was trying to explain it wasn't going to happen but I think its clear you already knew Etsy wasn't going to answer a phone call.

My Response:

Well it sounded like you were speaking for etsy to me. I don't know who you are, for all I know you were an etsy employer. You just argued for over 45 minutes with me as to why I should not need to call etsy related to money matters; that to me is ridiculous. So you are comfortable with it all that doesn't mean I have to be... Please don't respond back, I never got any of my questions answered.

Their response (Is this for real!?!):

I am not arguing. I understand your reason for wanting a phone call.

My Response:
I didn't bother responding back.
(It sounded like etsy to me.)

by: semper fi This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 11:53:03 2016

Monday 2-8-2016 11:37 EST and still nothing is fixed. PO customers and I don't blame them. We will lose $$$$ and etsy doesn't have the personnel to fix the mess they created. Time to find another site to sell on..............

by: joker13 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 11:58:30 2016

Great post, Cayenna! I knew from the beginning the phone issue was a no win for sellers. I would NEVER consider allowing Direct Checkout. You would never know what was happening with your funds, not to mention you cannot use them immediately as with PP. It is only PP and M.O. for me.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Feb 8 12:08:40 2016

A new order processed normally today, but a Saturday order still has not.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 13:38:46 2016

Thank you joker13! I also don't like how receiving my profits are delayed if I don't sign up for what etsy wants :-(
It's FUNNY how during this so called glitch with Direct Checkout of etsy's that some are suggesting to have customers go through paypal until it is fixed! *L* I say lets just all go back to PayPal at least they have a phone, you can access your funds, and everyone can make a payment through them!

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 14:00:38 2016

Saturday, looking at sales on Etsy, I saw that I had another one, but there was no additional information.

Nothing changed until late Sunday afternoon when an E-Mail from Etsy arrived advising that there was a problem processing payments.

I was pleased to receive this confirmation of a problem (no mea culpa from Etsy), but nevertheless pleased to receive the note.

Then I thought in 16 years on eBay, I do not recall eBay sending out a note in real time advising a problem.

By Super Bowl time, I had all the information about the sale, and I will be shipping the order within the hour.

I came to Etsy in 2012 when eBay devasted my business and by year's end my eBay sales were down to near zero.  At that time I switched to Etsy and somebody else which did not work out.

Etsy has only recently start to grow for me.  Already this month sales exceeded the prior February. And on eBay, I have booked but one sale for this month.

Tomorrow, this weekends proceeds will be in my bank account, unlike Paypal that until last year
sat on my money for four to five days collecting interest before transferring my money to my bank account.

Etsy is far from perfect, but my 16 years of eBay scars tell me this weekends bump in the road was not the worst thing that I have experienced selling on the Internet.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 14:26:03 2016

Hi Toledo, I have been selling on etsy since 2008, and eBay since 2002. I totally understand where you are coming from re eBay. Re etsy; I wouldn't get too comfortable if I were you, sales don't keep coming 'regularly' on etsy for anyone. And my sales did not even remotely begin till 5 or 6 years later being on etsy, and it has just been dribbles in my first shop, and great in my supply shop when the sales happen; which I opened a couple years ago. I'm just saying I would not get too comfortable with the sales. I thought I was doing well to the point I thought I just might get a chance to make enough to support myself and then bam! I have not even remotely made enough since. Wish you all the best!

by: Watching the Wheels This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 16:52:15 2016

@Cayenna, The lot of you put up with Etsy stupid, so they continue on their merry little way.

I do without the possibility of gift cards and any of the other enticements the site pulled BECAUSE THEY KNEW, CREDIBLE SELLERS DIDN'T TRUST THEM ENOUGH TO HANDLE MONEY.

When the lot of you start going to the REAL decision makers, --- THE BOARD, you might get some changes wrought.

How any seller can believe these dweebs after YEAR AFTER YEAR BS,  is beyond me.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 22:51:23 2016

Well,It's hard to believe board members would not know by now what is going on or how etsy sellers feel without sellers having to seek out board members... I have served on boards for my work through the years and those that do real work know what's going on and get something done...and it didn't take someone else to let them know... Some people like myself are trying to make a living and I need what I can get. I don't need the kinds of things that have been happening, and I have not found anything else that even remotely works otherwise, and till I do I guess I'm stuck if I am going to sell online. Just wish all the garbage would end. If there's a board member reading this hopefully they will take this to heart and get something done and fix it. Thank you!

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Feb 9 05:51:59 2016

It's Tuesday Feb 9, The Saturday Feb 6 transactions still have not been processed...takes a while to repair a fracture this big....

1 2 3  [Next Page]