Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Sept 10 2015 08:23:39

eBay Holds Sellers to New Standards in Fall Seller Update

eBay will announce its Fall Seller Update today, which includes major changes to how it judges sellers' performance. And for the first time in its history, eBay executives will be available to explain the changes in person, as it kicks off a brand new "Seller Summit" in San Jose this afternoon.

One if the biggest changes: eBay will no longer use Detailed Seller Ratings in its defect rate, though they will continue to be displayed to sellers.

In fact, eBay sellers will be judged only on delivery time and two measurements that it says judges the effectiveness of the seller's customer service to resolve any requests for help.

eBay is changing how it calculates shipping time, which appears to be positive news.

Today's issue provides an overview of the changes along with more detail about the new Seller Performance Standards.

Be sure to read about the changes to eBay's returns policy as well.

Let us know what you think - and what feedback would you give eBay executives gathered at the Seller Summit?

Perminate Link for eBay Holds Sellers to New Standards in Fall Seller Update   eBay Holds Sellers to New Standards in Fall Seller Update

by: harkinfan This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 12 22:44:03 2015

I am so SICK and TIRED of all these changes! This announcement is great for USA sellers but NOT for Canadian sellers.  Shipping with tracking is out of our reach on most items because of the cost.  Is this the final death toll for Canadian sellers?

I know how to run my business. I don't need eBay to make rules and regulations for me.  I am their paying customer and not their whipping post.  They are just a venue and not my business partners.

Making decisions on how to serve our customers best should be our only concern, NOT how to fend off the unavoidable "punishment" from eBay.  It used to be fun but now its sheer torture where every day is a worry that someone will give us the shaft.

Whenever I call, I am told that I am such an "AWESOME SELLER", that my items are "AWESOME". Then why don't they treat me with a bit more fairness?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 12 23:18:58 2015

@TOOL ... GUY

I'll GLADLY put up my 30+ years in retail and wholesale against HIS resume.

Have you ever looked his resume up?

I've worked IN MANAGEMENT - for at least (6) $100 million companies...

Want to ask me that question AGAIN?

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 13 00:44:41 2015

A couple months ago I had the opportunity to stand in line and request that the clerk scan one of my packages. It was a fairly high value shipment, and it was being sent to a ''Mailboxes'' type place so I wanted to be very sure that it was in the system. The clerk refused to scan it right then, and said that it would be scanned before it left the building. If this happens again, I will definitely ask for the postmaster or supervisor!

As for the eBay changes, I am pleasantly surprised. I am here at the moment trying to find some info about the Seller Hub and the early sign-up.

by: jefftoons This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 13 02:02:22 2015

What's the big deal about HAVING TO GO TO THE POST OFFICE. I ship 3 or 4 times a week. I simply order a front door pick-up from USPS.com.  Not a problem. As part of the service they are required to scan every single package, right in front of you. Why don't you folks just do it the easy way???

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Sep 13 10:54:05 2015

@pace306

Has Devin sold 10 items on eBay or 10,000?

I have NO idea! Do you?

It really doesn't matter, it's been business as usual under Meg Whitman, John Donahoe and now Devin Wenig. It will also be business as usual when Devin is replaced by the next CEO. . .

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 13 13:41:49 2015

Sure Tool - while he was busy studying under JD how to ruin eBay he sold 10,000 items.

What you DIDNT seem to understand in my last post was - if you read his JOB HISTORY - NONE of it was in ecommerce, retail, wholesale, big box store - NOTHING.

He was never a sales clerk in Best Buy !

How can you run an ecommerce company and tell people "you understand how it works" when you have no experience?

Can I tell a brain surgeon how to operate just because I visited a hospital a few times ?

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 13 15:05:16 2015

I like the changes.  Two thumbs up, eBay!

by: cmabresch This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 13 19:32:12 2015

The word DEFECT has ONLY NEGATIVE interpretations.....doesn't matter where or how it got there. The better way to show a seller's SCORE would be by a rating. Feedback should not be a rating as it is optional and an opinion, eBay knows a sellers percentage of on time shipping and handling.....after that it is totally out of a seller's hands

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 03:58:20 2015

I have been holding my shipping off all weekend. I have always used my 24 hour kiosk up at my local PO, get a head start on the week and ship early, through the weekend, as I go up to town.
Now I cannot do that because I need the dam almighty "acceptance Scan".
Can't RISK it not being SCANNED- might be behind the 8 ball already- too hard to know.

This is actually slowing down my Shipping!

Now, I have to ship SLOW, so I don't get in trouble, for shipping too FAST.

Mass Howler

by: littleblackduck This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 04:35:41 2015

These changes may have some positives for US seller, but the tracking requirement is a disaster for sellers of smaller value items in Australia. We do not have the kind of tracking needed for these. I sell many items valued between $5.00 and $10.00 and we send via letter mail. The closest thing to tracking we have is a registration which includes insurance and has to be collected at the Post Office with identification. To use that in January I will have to charge a minimum of $4.90 on the post charges, when at the moment I charge 70c or $1.40. This move has the potential to kill all the low dollar value item sellers.Disaster.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 16 08:41:44 2015

Does everyone not know that it is not 5% anymore but 2%, to "readjust for the new defect policy"?

This stuff isnt about helping you, its about their metrics noticing the other defects not really kicking people off enough, so they hit it where it hurts: usps scan rates.

They get to fool the simple minded into thinking they are doing you a favor..all the while actually making top rated even more annoying to retain..at .5% defect rate lol which means more top rated sellers will lose it due to being retroactive and taking in account scan rates

Meanwhile, china is once again exempt from these changes and enjoy being placed first in.categories search and just about every other search

This user has validated their user name. by: Toucandeal

Mon Sep 28 19:34:20 2015

Just when I think I've heard it all about what ebay does to sellers, another story comes right along and (doesn't) surprise me.

People stay with ebay and amazon because they have the most traffic and of course more sales, but people make a HUGE mistake of selling exclusively on ebay or amazon and one day, they get suspended and they lose their business, their car(s), lose spouses... everything.

List on 2 or more marketplaces and you will protect your business, while at the same time, help create a viable alternative to ebay and amazon.  There are sites out there that have better features, just no sellers.  Sellers don't sign up because there aren't any buyers.  The sellers have to come first.  Sellers spread the word via social media about their new store and presto... we will have a better marketplace!

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Mon Sep 28 21:04:45 2015

Would be nice if they would start reinstating sellers that they wrongly exterminated. Sellers with excellent feedback but ebay deemed unworthy.

by: Future Tomorrow This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 30 23:30:41 2015

I'm not sure why so many people are getting excited as this is not to help you. My last conversation with eBay showed how this is going to hurt many of you, not help you.

In speaking to eBay today regarding how they use metrics for shipping the following came up. According to eBay the USPS are our employees so since we hired them we are responsible for any delays, lost packages, non scans and everything regarding the USPS. You all cheerleading eBay because you want, actually let's be more accurate, NEED eBay to make changes in your favor don't see how this is still a problem? The USPS is NOT an employee hired by a seller. They are a 3rd party service that is responsible for the delivery of your sold items to the customer.

If any of us had employees that lost packages, stole packages, delayed packages, failed to scan packages or gave us attitude they would be given a stern warning. If it happened again or depending on the severity and circumstances of the first instance they would be fired and law enforcement contacted to file a police report(stole a customers package).

You can't do any of this with the USPS and since they're a government owned entity you had better be careful the language you use in arguing fault and other issues with them less you suffer consequences as they may apply for any wrongdoing or action taken against a US Federal entity.

These comments and this cheerleading is exactly why eBay has been able to do what they've done to so many for so long. They lie and change some language and the lot of you are ready to throw them a birthday party.

I can tell that there are a few and I mean very very few here that actually get it. I suspect next year around this time to see the same cheerleaders filling this site with complaints.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Oct 14 05:56:38 2015

It's all just nutz.
Our Business, Our Policies.
Ebay is trespassing.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 20 18:52:41 2015

Am I reading it right?  Seems like Ebay is loosening their hold on the necks of sellers.  Now, if they can only get some traffic going.....

1 2 3 4 5 6 7