Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Sept 10 2015 08:23:39

eBay Holds Sellers to New Standards in Fall Seller Update

eBay will announce its Fall Seller Update today, which includes major changes to how it judges sellers' performance. And for the first time in its history, eBay executives will be available to explain the changes in person, as it kicks off a brand new "Seller Summit" in San Jose this afternoon.

One if the biggest changes: eBay will no longer use Detailed Seller Ratings in its defect rate, though they will continue to be displayed to sellers.

In fact, eBay sellers will be judged only on delivery time and two measurements that it says judges the effectiveness of the seller's customer service to resolve any requests for help.

eBay is changing how it calculates shipping time, which appears to be positive news.

Today's issue provides an overview of the changes along with more detail about the new Seller Performance Standards.

Be sure to read about the changes to eBay's returns policy as well.

Let us know what you think - and what feedback would you give eBay executives gathered at the Seller Summit?

Perminate Link for eBay Holds Sellers to New Standards in Fall Seller Update   eBay Holds Sellers to New Standards in Fall Seller Update

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Thu Sep 10 21:47:12 2015

After Christmas the new owners of ebay will be taking over that is why sellers will be getting $crewed as usual for Christmas.

the ebay executives get to cash out & continue fleecing sellers as regular business until the sale of ebay is announced after the end of the year.

by: DebraD This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 10 23:15:51 2015

I'm not certain these changes are positive. USPS delivery times are totally out of our hands and Ebay still uses outdated delivery estimates for first class mail. For those of you still experiencing problems with postal drop off scans, use Ebay multi ship function and print a scan sheet. Hand the clerk the scan sheet. It must be scanned. Your drop off scans will show up the same day.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 11 00:50:59 2015

How about just not punishing sellers at all, and let the dsrs be a guide for consumers? After much thought, this delivery date stuff will have a negative impact.

Just stop trying to punish those who are making you money!!

Only punish shady sellers, the only logical scale is resolution center thats it!

by: nordicgal This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 11 02:57:49 2015

These changes seem slightly positive but there are still glaring loopholes with the defective return policy.  I believe 30 days is too long but even if I signed up for that (currently 14 day with stipulations) the buyer can choose willy nilly to say your item was not as described or defective to forego return shipping costs...and they will.  This just happened today.  This is my first case of a return request without seller resolution.  The buyer purchased item and deemed it wasn't worth what he paid, though it was accurately described in size, materials, pictures, etc.  He opens a return request which I don't accept because he has chosen defective/not as described.  I reply with the actual description from the listing, my return policy et al.  He opens case and eBay decides in his favor within the hour (I'm sure by some bot without having read the listing or any of the commentary).  I would have accepted the return if he asked nicely and paid his own return shipping charges like with other online stores such as Kohl's and thousands of others.  So, as a seller it would be great to have a restocking fee to mitigate some of your losses, well that only applies yet again if the buyer doesn't lie about the reason for the return...and on and on.

Fortunately my PO is good and scans the packages shortly after pick up when they return to the Post Office. The estimated delivery date is a problem as has been discussed thoroughly.  Most of my items arrive in a timely manner and I have only had one defect in the last year for slow shipping.  It was a Media Mail item which is slow to begin with but it got lost for a couple of weeks.  The buyer decided that was my fault though we discussed it through the messages.  The one area the PO needs great improvement in tracking is the International scene, Priority and First Class.  There are lots of dead spots and infrequent updates.  My International customers are lovely for the most part so I would like to see much better tracking there.

With only a couple of things to ''judge'' it will still be precarious because eBay has lowered the allowed percentage.  Just a couple of incidents like I had today could wipe me out.

Going forward I will probably not accept returns but say that I do in the fine print as I always have if the issue was my fault.  I will no longer be a top rated seller because of this.  In a way it will be a relief that I don't have to stay up until 2:00 a.m. to meet the one day handling (to use carrier pick up the next day).  I will change my handling time back to two days and have a life again.  By the time I am booted from eBay, hopefully eCrater will be the place to be.

Have I mentioned that eCrater doesn't meddle in your business, you can have your own return policy and it counts and that you don't have to use PayPal, and that the buyers act like adults without a sick sense of entitlement...?  I love eCrater but I just wish it loved me a little more ;)

by: nordicgal This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 11 03:00:13 2015

Oh, P.S....

As many have mentioned before, all of this is really meaningless as long as there are rolling blackouts and Can't see me and our items aren't shown so that people can buy them.

by: nordicgal This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 11 03:15:00 2015

I find it kind or ironic that I get my first case without seller resolution on the very day eBay announces the new changes.  It's almost as if it was planted.  Since I no longer sell 400 items in three months (like I used to before the blackouts), this will still be on my record for a year,  so potentially I could be banned very quickly.

by: LBeBaySeller This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 11 05:22:44 2015

For the first time in years, I read a bi-annual seller update with a growing sense of relief and then joy rather than trepidation and increasing horror.

Finally, the horrendous adversarial relationship between eBay seller and eBay buyer is being negated.

Maybe now, I can concentrate on actually improving our customer service and increasing our product range rather than firefighting and damage limitation.

by: rzbk This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 11 06:47:50 2015

Why not "schedule a pick-up" for
all your USPS packages?
My packages are SCANNED as they are placed into the USPS mail vehicle.
If enough people use this free service perhaps timely scanning will commence at the post office.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Sep 11 06:58:13 2015

nordicgal, you should call eBay and appeal that decision. I have not lost a case yet on appeal. Some of these cases are closed by bots and you need to get a human involved so they can actually see what is going on.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Fri Sep 11 08:59:51 2015

I do think this is a step in the right direction. One has to think that Ebay is realizing they are a dinosaur that's days are numbered and headed for extinction if it does not become seller friendly. Now if they start listening to sellers and train their employees to listen and understand there is a group of buyers out there stealing and using feedback to coerce product blackmail... Every good seller Ebay loses is one more nail in their coffin and the ebay employees are useless on many issues and are trained to side with buyers in every case, automatically. screw a seller ebay.. you lose a seller. train your employees to actually look at issues or fire them better yet.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 11 09:40:02 2015

For a man that makes $10,495,665 in Total Compensation, who has ZERO experience at the job hes in, hes got some guts telling experienced sellers ANYTHING about selling (on eBay or anywhere else).

Poke fun at Amazon all you wish, but they are at least 10x your size and actually SELL THINGS for a living. They have wharehouses, trucks, drone, bots - all YOU have are automated thieves.

Nordic : sorry you got taken, but Im glad it was only once - it happens to me 1-3x per month.

Apparently EVERYTHING I sell (though brand new in the box sealed) is magically defective.

They also all come back missing parts, tags, or packaging - but its not the BUYERS fault - eBay tells me STFU, eat it.

My post office is good at scanning as well - there are MANY internet based businesses in my area - its what keeps it from closing. They know if they dont scan, and / or have all the mail at the sorting center the same day - they will be shut down. They do an EXCELLENT job. I do know that they are the exception and NOT the rule.

I do hope that what ever this update does, helps my fellow sellers - lord knows everyone here needs a break from the theft-tastic ways of eBay Inc.

For the rest of us STILL waiting for help/relief - we can sit back and watch that law suit (for those iphone cases) wind its way through court (eBay will settle btw, just watch) and get some laughs (in between the tears) at how eBay explains their business.

by: tkg This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 11 10:43:49 2015

The only change I still have a problem with is the delivery aspect.  USPS has ''frequently'' missed scanning in my packages at pick up. And I absolute have no time to stand in line at the post office to have them done in person. So now if packages hits a delay & arrives late I will get a defect.  I can see more defects coming my way instead of less.  USPS is more in control of my business than I am.

by: tkg This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 11 10:51:28 2015

Just to follow that up...scheduling carrier pick up does not guarantee a pick up/acceptance scan.  I get sub-carriers regularly and many times they do not scan them.  Last year I was informed by one sub carrier that they were instructed NOT to scan at pick up and were told they would be scanned after leaving the local office when they got to the bigger sorting hub.  Which wasn't happening either.  So now they pick up my packages & they scan them when they get to the local office.  Or at least most of the time that is what happens. I still see some items not getting scanned.  And I've noticed USPS missing expected delivery dates more & more frequently since they've started handling Amazon's packages. :(

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Sep 11 11:03:39 2015

@pace306

How do you know how much selling experience Wenig has or has not?

Do you have his eBay ID so we can see for ourselves?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Sep 11 11:40:56 2015

I think that one of the disconnects that eBay has as it relates to "tracking" is that, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, USPS uses delivery confirmation which is not actual true tracking.  Sometimes items are not scanned until delivery.  In many cases items are scanned from point A to point B, but eBay calls it tracking when it actuality it is delivery confirmation.  FedEx and UPS have true tracking.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Fri Sep 11 12:00:03 2015

The bottom line is this folks, eBay is indeed dying, and on it's death bed.

Me and many others knew are business was down to the point of extinction and no matter what I/We did it did not boost our sales, it appeared as though customers were no longer on eBay, or the few that were were funneld to eBay's chosen !

I and many others have moved on to truly greener pastures, and at this point, I personally believe this is to little and way to many years late !

Mr. Devin Wenig, still does not get it, while I think this is a small step in the right direction, if Wenig wants any chance of a miraculous cure to rid eBay of the Donahoe stage 4 cancer that has put eBay on it's death bed, he needs even more aggressive treatment, and that is Best Match ELIMINATED and put back to time ending soonest, that is the only hope to possibly start a miracle on eBay

IF Mr. Wenig does not in addition to the new changes, change time ending soonest back to defauly for ALL sellers, this is a waste, just a temporary false hope of curing this Donahoe Cancer, which it will not

Mr. Wenig, I suggest you make time ending soonest also, or shut eBay down, and that is 1 very important change you need to make ASAP

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Sep 11 12:27:01 2015

Whatever happened in the following example, the origin scans are there and I don't believe EITHER seller caused this delay.  So, my impression is under the upcoming changes, the sellers would NOT get an unfair defect?

I assume that both packages will eventually show up:

An ODD scan appears on two (2) packages coming to me from two different sellers, two different states.

Sorting center has BOTH packages scanned as:  ''Processing Exception''

BOTH packages scan time shows at 22:55pm - Same date.

From what I can tell - ''Processing Exception'' is used when address can't be read, package damaged, something spilled on package, etc....

SO... What are the odds the TWO packages for same Addressee from TWO different sellers in TWO different states would have some mysterious issue at exactly the SAME time?   A mystery!

*I also posted some of this on the thread about USPS tracking. But on this thread I think it makes a case to speed up the changes on defects.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Sep 11 12:37:04 2015

@ LDS Brother

You can choose "ending soonest" as a search option if you wish.

Others might like to choose "best match"

There's something for everyone on eBay. . .

by: nordicgal This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 11 13:10:54 2015

@Rexford

I have not called eBay personally for ages.  The last time I called, I waited on hold for hours, was transferred numerous times and then got no resolution and the usual lip service when I talked to the CSR.

I will try to appeal the decision on Monday since I have several hours to kill...NOT.

Thanks for your concern.  Maybe it will work.

by: nordicgal This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 11 13:16:40 2015

The particular buyer in question has left 11 negs or neutrals out of his last 100 feedbacks.  In one of his negs he states that the item was poor quality and it was half the price on Amazon.  The poor seller replied by calling him a name and stated the obvious that the buyer should have bought it on Amazon and why shop with us.  This is one of THOSE buyers.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  [Next Page]