Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Aug 25 2015 05:34:45

eBay Fall Seller Release: A Kinder, Gentler eBay?

eBay previewed its Fall Seller Update, and some may be wondering if the promises made by the new CEO of what appears to be a "kinder, gentler" company may truly be fulfilled.

The head of eBay's Global Customer Trust Laura Chambers provided details of how eBay would be changing the way the company hands out defects when it comes to late shipments. Currently, sellers can be penalized for factors outside of their control, such as shipping delays due to the carrier of Postal Service.

In fact, at one point, readers were telling EcommerceBytes that eBay Customer Service Representatives were blaming sellers for using the Postal Service when they received defects for late delivery.

Next year, eBay will change the seller performance standards so it no longer relies on "buyer opinions," Chambers said. Instead, eBay will use tracking information to see when the seller actually placed packages into the mail stream.

You can read more about the changes in today's newsletter:

eBay to Change the Way Sellers Earn Shipping Defects - Link

eBay Previews Fall Seller Update - Link

Let us know what you think!

Perminate Link for eBay Fall Seller Release: A Kinder, Gentler eBay?   eBay Fall Seller Release: A Kinder, Gentler eBay?

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 01:45:36 2015

A kinder gentler
Machine gun hand

This user has validated their user name. by: The German Plague

Wed Aug 26 02:53:14 2015

@volvo:

Can You please translate the abbr. DING? (Seems as if it's "Deese idiots nag, guy" *lol*)

I first had to look up if german rules are the same as american rules in this case.

I don't know exactly when ebay.com invented it but in germany we face this great shot since October '14.

German:
"detaillierte Verkäuferbewertung mit 1, 2 oder 3 Sternen für Artikel wie beschrieben"
(cite: http://pages.ebay.de/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html#defect%
20rate)

US:
"Detailed
seller rating of 1, 2 or 3 for item as described"
(cite: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html#defect
rate)

So there's no difference between us. What was it? All men are equal... ;)

And yes, the buyer does not recognize that he's producing a defect if he gives a 3.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 08:07:53 2015

I'm sure there are kind and considerate people working at ebay that fully understand what a hell hole ebay has turned itself into   and just as our words of concern go unanswered, they too are in the same boat, hands tied, and governed by greed and insanity.

ebay Cannot fix itself overnight, it's going to take an all out effort from the top down, there is no way on earth this company can possibly fix everything that is wrong, it's a monumental task, that cannot be fixed in tiny little sections, it's needs a complete rebuild, where everything needs to be changed as ONE COMPLETE WORKING SYSTEM, not little broken sections that conflict with other parts.

Just today I opened 3 new INR cases, and the new case screen is so screwed, I can barely confirm if I am opening a case on the correct seller and item, just a total disgrace, that shows their lack of concern for sellers and their items,

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 09:44:54 2015

@plague...

On eBay blogs, the term "DING" means a buyer damaging a DSR "star" by entering a "1" or a "2". This frequently results in a piece of the star's tip missing in its graphical representation; hence the term "ding." Worse than a "1" or "2" lowering the DSR's average more than a "4" would, it counts as a "defect."  A "3" shouldn't be a defect. What's next?  Are they going to make 4's into "defects?"

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 09:47:26 2015

@maxmad

Well, clearly you're someone who would prefer to see the good in people so you presume that many of the grunts at feeBay labor under bad policies not of their making.  But, hasn't the reign of terror carried out by The Hoe purged those folks?  And, isn't Devil Wingnut his hand-picked successor?

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 09:53:13 2015

@maxmad

Has Devil Wingnut authorized Disruptive Disruption to the dispute resolution pages?  This is a critical seller tool* and he, and the IT hacks over in the Third World He// Hole, have no business messing with it.  If it was working, what were they thinking? If it wasn't working, why change "look and feel" [user interface] or graphical representation in any way?

Again, the beatings will continue until morale improves!

*BTW, I label it a "critical seller tool" b/c the adversarial buyer/seller relationship that feeBay has created results in bogus disputes.

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 10:23:44 2015

It is about time! I have been lucky to have very few late shipments be they USPS fault or otherwise. But it is absolutely infuriating for the canned "you hired the shipping company" speech in regards to a late delivery caused something you have no control over. Ebay has two shipping companies offered and neither are perfect. USPS is usually faster then fedex and is more cost effective for the buyer. So that is my first choice...my crystal ball isn't always right though. Now all they need to do is release some info on how they plan to help us with return defects. Because in collectible categories the current policy is an absolute failure. You would be surprised how few buyers return coins, cards, and comics because they don't fit....

by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 10:31:17 2015

How about some new badges? Hahaha. Bet that would make everything all better.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 11:13:24 2015

@Volvo351

Yes, I would agree, ebay will continue the HOE beating to suck as much money from their dwindling seller base as they can.

I purchase a lot of cheap china crap, some for our shop, and some for re-sale into other products, and at least 20% of those items are NOT received for whatever reason, which end in a LOT of INR cases,

Ebay recently changed the routine needed to open these cases........

Now, When you click on the item, in my ebay, as '' did not receive it''  it then opens another screen, that shows pictures of ALL the items I have purchased, basically just pictures, and it's EXTREMLY difficult to click on the correct picture since I have MANY purchases of IDENTICAL items, from different sellers I am absolutely sure MANY buyers have made a mistake, by clicking on the wrong seller and item,

ONLY a COMPLETE STUPID IDIOT would approve a layout like this,

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Aug 26 12:30:23 2015

USPS tracking information is an UNRELIABLE metric. I sent out 3 packages all going to the same place. ALL 3 reached point B at THREE DIFFERENT TIMES. The last package took an UNPRECEDENTED 4 WEEKS to arrive. The first package got there in 4 days.
I suspect the cause is inside sabotage by people sympathetic to UPS. And other "terrorists".
This kind of thing should be an incarceratable offense. Once charged they should be barred from that line of work for LIFE.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 12:51:00 2015

Ebay, trying to RE-BRAND ITSELF as Kinder and Gentler-LOL!

You cannot just "re-brand" yourselves and DO NOTHING.

KEYSTONE COPS of ECOMMERCE.

Our dear Annie said it best.

MH
Ebay: You Spoke and we listened, or acted like we listened, 7 years later, then we got them on the hook for the holidays and changed NOTHING- tee-hee-hee, stupid sellers, they will never learn!

by: Ebay Seller-Ebay Buyer This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 13:06:57 2015

Ebay will continue to lose ground to Amazon until Ebay does away with listing fees and the silly free listing promotions. The reason most sellers quit ebay is listing fees; not all this silly stuff that Ina Steiner and most here are concerned about.  People quit selling on ebay because their profits don't justify the time spent being a good seller.  And it's the listing fees that drive most to quit.  All this other stuff like dsr's and defects is a distraction away from what matters most, which is what a seller makes after subtracting his or her fees from his sales

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Aug 26 13:58:46 2015

@Ebay Seller-Ebay Buyer - I have to respectfully disagree with you about sellers quitting eBay because of listing fees. That certainly wasn't the reason I left. I left because they were taking away the ability to leave negative feedback for buyers. I could foresee a future where all buyers would demand partial refunds or straight out free items by threatening sellers with negative feedback. My sales were already tanking; where I had once sold 95% and up of what I listed, I was only selling 25% (or less) of my listings by the time the new feedback policy kicked it. I was already the victim of "rolling blackouts," which probably contributed to the lack of sales. I would have gladly continued paying listing fees if I was actually receiving the service I was paying for.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 15:05:36 2015

freebay kinder is like going to the dentist

Relax and open wide...............

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Wed Aug 26 19:58:40 2015

@maxmad
Why are you opening INR cases?? You are part of the problem buddy...

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Wed Aug 26 20:01:24 2015

@Ebay Seller-Ebay Buyer
I agree that listing fees need to go, but I seriously doubt that listing fees are the biggest pain point for most sellers, especially the ones posting here on this blog..
Our biggest issue is the stupid defect system, specifically INAD cases resulting in automatic defects. Yes, there are other issues that we take offense with, but listing fees is PRETTY FAR down the food chain..

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Wed Aug 26 20:04:27 2015

@ The End
I agree that the shipping metric is ridiculous. However, I do believe that alot of folks on here would benefit from professional shipping software... Endicia, Stamps.com, Shipstation, Shipworks...

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 26 22:05:29 2015

The gimmicky promotions are also a trap which pizzes sellers off- now we have a free subtitle promotion.

We KNOW WHAT will happen- the "promo" ends and folks forget to remove it and get charged.

SEARCH, DEFECT SYSTEM and PROFIT are all killing us, but being treated like we are stupid pushes us over the edge.

NOTICE the wording from Ebay "Take ADVANTAGE of the free subtitles-

Take advantage is right- ebay takes advantage of folks forgetting to get rid of that expensive subtiltl on relists (or AUTO-relists).

THIS is what ebay counts on.

They teach buyers to TAKE ADVANTAGE of us and ebay takes advantage of us- WATCH OUT whenever ebay suggests you "Take Advantage" of everything- I know they are Laughing their arses off when they write "take advantage"- they are telling the truth in REVERSE.
MH
(Trolls are EVERYWHERE- look at the ebay "chat" from today and think about it).

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 27 05:51:30 2015

@FEEbay said .....

''''''Why are you opening INR cases?? You are part of the problem buddy...''''''

It's quite simple, I start a ''INR Request'' because the item I paid for did not arrive, and I want my money back,

'''' Why not contact the seller to see what is going on before opening a case on them?? ''''''

it's pointless and a total waste of time contacting or trying to communicate with a CHINEESE seller

ebay's Chinese sellers are one of the main reasons why ebay has these draconian rules, unfortunately they should not have been applied to every seller,

Don't blame the buyer, blame ebay, they are the problem, they allow the buyer, to destroy the seller.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Aug 27 07:11:53 2015

eBay seller-eBay buyer says "The reason most sellers quit ebay is listing fees; not all this silly stuff that Ina Steiner and most here are concerned about."

I also respectfully disagree. I don't mind paying fees as long as I have sales.  And "silly stuff that Ina Steiner and most here are concerned about"? Seriously?  I thank God for Ina and David. This is where I get my news, long before, and if I ever get it from eBay.

As far as I am concerned ecommercebytes is THE forum for small and medium sellers on eBay.  It is a gold mine of information.

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]