Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Aug 4 2015 00:30:53

eBay Continues Practice of Seller Limits

The issue of seller limits has raised its head again. A Top Rated Powerseller said she received limits on her account and was absolutely astounded - especially because she pays the company hundreds of dollars a month in extra fees for an Anchor Store on eBay.

While we've been writing about seller limits since 2011, it was late last year that the issue really erupted after an eBay employee published an in-house document that showed eBay had "hidden" limits on seller accounts - something the company had previously denied.

In this recent case, eBay's email to the seller did not point to any problem with her account - rather, it said it was limiting her ability to list on the site in order to help her:

"This message is to notify you that in order to assist you in building a strong foundation for future transactions on eBay, we have placed a selling limit for your listing activity. These limits are not in place as a consequence, rather as a preventative measure to help our seller's keep from becoming overwhelmed with large increases in account activity."

Interestingly, we found a recent post on an industry board where eBay sent a similar email to a seller, but did point out problems with that seller's account: "While reviewing your account, we noticed a recent increase in buyer complaints and in your defect rate. To meet the standards required to sell on eBay, you need to limit the amount of buyer complaints on your account."

So in some cases, the limits arise as the result of some account issues - but not in all cases.

When the Top-Rated Gold Powerseller called to speak to a Customer Service Rep about raising the limits, she said, "He cared nothing about my protest that we still are expected to pay the full lump sum Anchor store fee but could not get the most out of it by increasing our inventory and thus our sales."

Ironically, eBay is running a month-long promotion in August in which it is giving sellers double the amount of free listings for their eBay Stores, as we note in Tuesday's Newsflash.

We'll have more on this in Tuesday's Newsflash newsletter - let us know what you think.

Perminate Link for eBay Continues Practice of Seller Limits   eBay Continues Practice of Seller Limits

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 12:39:31 2015

In order to help your biz, we're going to throttle your allowed listings!

Only in the sick minds of The Hoe and Devil Wingnut does this make sense.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 12:41:59 2015

@Philip

Apparently "trained" monkeys are in short supply, so they had to settle for The Hoe. $23MM would buy a LOT of bananas, though!  And, that's on top of the $100's of MM's the clueless BoD wasted on this guy who falls short of a primate!

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 12:45:08 2015

@Mainelyvintage

Yep, eBay is now the LAST place you want to sell. Local referrals and FREE sites like C/L are the way to go..put the CASH in your pocket with no fear of SNAD's, chargebacks, or other theft of your money by PayPig.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 12:50:45 2015

@bb6

It's not exactly "simple" to call Customer [non-]Service "again." Tough enough to get through to a human as it is and those "humans" are merely Filipino script readers with no real authority. To accomplish anything, they have to EMAIL somebody in SJ.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 12:52:18 2015

> FREE sites like C/L

Except my stuff is worthless on CL. Something that might fetch $100 on ebay, you're lucky to get $40-$50 on CL. Also, too many time wasters and people that ask questions, make you wait and never show up. The only stuff I sell on there is stuff thats a hassle to ship

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 12:56:57 2015

One would think that since the "cat was let out of the bag" long ago about EBay's dirty and despicable practices they would be more careful but again EBay shows that they could care less.  EBay deserves to go down and I hope that they do.  Like I have said many times before I have never ever in my long life had the misfortune of working with such a lowlife scumbag company as EBay.  It's one rotten thing after another and that type of mismanagement comes from the top.  When I see a good corporation with good morals and good people all the way down to the bottom there are always good people at the top.  EBay is clearly filled with evil and greed.  It has gotten so bad that there is no possible way to fix EBay's problems because there are clearly too many dirtbags at the top.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 12:59:42 2015

@thebobman, I agree about Craig's List. I haven't been able to sell one thing on that site and yes it is full of deranged people and even sex trafficking.  "Free" attracts that sort of crowd.

by: VJ This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 13:10:04 2015

The reason she had selling limits placed on her account was most likely she was caught by ebay engaging in poor selling practices. The most common one s printing labels for items to make them appear to be shipped when in reality you actually ship them 3-4 days later. Ebay monitors all sellers very closely and keeps a set of merics on them, that is not accessible by the seller. When someone is engaging in deceptive practices there seller limits are reduced. If they continue they will either be suspended or terminated.

It always amazes me that when they catch sellers doing this the seller always claims innocence. But ebay is not stupid and its staff take action when they feel it is warranted. The problem is that the seller is not told why and has to figure it out for themselves. This is understandable as ebay does not want sellers to know what exactly is being monitored so as to keep the sellers honest.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 13:16:30 2015

@VJ, if that is the case than why don't they say that?  I agree that there are boatloads of sellers who print the labels to make it appear like they are getting the item shipped in a timely fashion but then lag on getting the package to the carrier, but then why doesn't EBay simply tell them that they are tracking that and it is not allowed?  It doesn't make sense.

by: Theresa This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 13:20:01 2015

Same thing happened to me....10 year gold power seller with 100% feedback rating - limited to 150 items per month.  I used to have 3000+ items until I vastly reduced my presence on ebay about 2 years ago.  150 items is not worth my time so my plan to ramp things back up is out the window.  I have been selling a boatload on Facebook with zero fees.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 13:21:06 2015

EBay always lets those types of procrastinating sellers blame the carriers for the slow shipping while EBay is aware of the fact that they are actually poor sellers who are not getting the packages to the post office in a timely manner?  If I were the USPS I would be furious because Ebay has been tracking this and allowing them to be the scapegoat.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 13:21:33 2015

I suspect those seller limits were in place long before Meg and JD showed up. When I used to sell on ebay, no matter how much I listed, how good my feedback (100% positive), I could never get my sales above a certain level. I'm glad I am gone from there and sell on sites that they like me to be able to sell as much as possible. I can't figure out why ebay would do this to 100% positive sellers with everything else showing that they are an excellent seller. Ebay makes money on everything they sell. If the AAA+ company (as one post mentioned) doesn't like it then if ebay was a logical company, they would tell AAA+ company to bring their A+ game to ebay instead of thinking they can grow at the expense of other sellers. There is absolutely NO logic behind what ebay management does!

by: moto-science This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 13:50:29 2015

eBay Continues Practice of Seller Limits
cause and effect :

Sellers Continue Practice of Limiting efforts on Ebay
cause and effect :

Buyers Continue Practice of Looking and  Buying elsewhere....

Joke is on Ebay.....

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Aug 4 13:53:44 2015

VJ, unless one is an enterprise seller, one likely has a selling limit on their account. Period. It has nothing to do with a shipping label.

Ask any small seller who has been selling for 10+ years.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Aug 4 14:18:42 2015

I have little to no doubt that BRIAN BURKE has been, is, and will continue to be responsible for the ILLEGAL blackouts, listing and selling limits, and throttling.

Once again Devil Wenig continues to define "re connection."

Wenig, you will fail faster than the The Ho did.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Aug 4 14:30:07 2015

Same here.  I strongly suspect the limit is dollar-denominated.  The numbers on my dashboard have gotten pretty high but I swear that once I pass about $225 my store is all but shut off until the following month.  It is thus mathematically impossible to reduce the impact of my subscription fee.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 16:04:10 2015

Restricting a NEW seller makes sense, until the seller learns the ropes and has a track record.

Restricting an established seller, a top-tier POWERSELLER who is also TRS, is incredibly stupid and makes no sense whatsoever.

I wish the restricted TRS sellers would band together and sue eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Aug 4 16:10:34 2015

Of all the crazy eBay policies, and there are a lot of them, putting selling limits on established sellers has got to be the most absurd. I can understand limiting a brand new seller with zero feedback to a few items until they can prove themselves, but when a seller has been around for years, has a track record, and shown they are capable of running a business, selling limits only hurt the seller, and ultimately eBay.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 16:32:39 2015

It sounds to me like OP just got the Swan Song message from Ebay. I am jealous. I never got the song, but my sales died anyway.

by: dad This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 4 16:41:14 2015

One easy way around this is to not list complete inventory count in a listing.  The way the limits are implemented eBay won't let the total value of all the seller's listings value or quantity for sale exceed the limits they have set for the account.  I've done this in the past, it's a little bit more work but there are free apps to help do this.  It's not as big of a problem as it might sound.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  [Next Page]