Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Feb 11 2015 22:33:14

eBay Forces Shoppers to Click to View Item Descriptions

When visitors click through to an eBay listing, they can see photos and structured data at the top, followed by the seller's description. eBay turned on a switch on Wednesday evening in which some visitors can no longer see the description unless they click a separate button.

According to one user, clicking the button brought up a popup box containing the description. The user then had to close the box before they could see other parts of the listing page.

A seller wrote on the eBay discussion boards that she was "heartbroken" at the way the listing page now looks for her. "I spend so much time writing descriptions and taking great pictures. Loading them to the web, writing the HTML. I'm kind of heartbroken that the listing page looks so bad now."

She continued, "I just listed 2 antiques for more than a hundred each - who the heck is going to continue buying that kind of piece when the listing page is so ugly and difficult to read?"

Another eBay user was not so polite, tweeting, "eBay now wants to hide item descriptions behind a mouse click. What the actual fuck?"

They continued to vent on Twitter, "Whoever proposed that idea, and those who saw its implemention on the site for testing, have clearly never used the site before," and added, "eBay is frustrating."

However, not all users are seeing the new feature, which appears to be a test eBay is running. We asked eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore tonight if that was the case.

See Thursday's EcommerceBytes Newflash for more details, and let us know what you think.

Perminate Link for eBay Forces Shoppers to Click to View Item Descriptions   eBay Forces Shoppers to Click to View Item Descriptions

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Feb 13 06:52:19 2015

Ogri, says "But dont forget the 'improvement' leaves a big blank space on your screen to cram more advertising into, more clutter, more distraction."

Ogri, I thought about this yesterday as well.  Monetize, monetize, monetize.  That is likely what it is really all about.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 07:03:19 2015

SABOTAGE is another way to view this latest abomination. Could Carl Icahn OR SOME OTHER Robber Barron have a TEAM of Saboteurs infiltrated inside eBay?  To me that sounds MORE likely than my own suggestion of a PRANK in the suggestion box, whirled up into a COMMITTEE seizing on it AND then a Middle Manager sufficiently Brain Dead as to NOT see the obvious drawbacks.  People are fools, but to presume SO MANY FOOLS all in one place craves a DIFFERENT interpretation.  Much the same way that RATIONING sellers' access to buyers is sooooo far beyond the pale that it beggars understanding. I'm still seeing WAVES of buy orders in a few hours per day and SILENCE the others.  Not going to sound like anything to COMPLAIN about, but I keep seeing my EXPENSIVELY PRICED items sell ABOVE including Freight the price others are offering the SAME EXACT ITEM ... with their lower cost item NOT selling.  EVEN folks who are listing SAME ITEM for a lower $$ and FREE postage/freight.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 07:11:02 2015

Ebay isn't forcing anyone to do anything. Its a well known fact that most buyers don't read beyond the title......Ebay will change their diapers if they are disappointed.

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 07:54:53 2015

This must be the height of idiocy. Who thought up this ridiculous idea and then who APPROVED it??

The only way to tell the patients from the staff in the ebay insane asylum is by who is holding the keys!

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 08:29:28 2015

just another bit of terrible coding, they can't fix the real issue, so they do something stupid instead, an ebay normal

Last year I would have been very upset over this, but today I am getting a good laugh,

it's quite obvious, there's is no one in control

This user has validated their user name. by: shabbychick

Fri Feb 13 10:01:36 2015

angryllama: Well said! And thank you for being so honest about the discrepancies in visibility between your listings and the lower priced ones. That should be proof positive for an investigation. Its almost like price fixing.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 11:10:10 2015

Too many changes , have me running. I was making many purchases here & there from deadbay. After yesterday , & all the frustration trying to see descriptions , well , Ive had enough.
I wrote them a less then calm message , closed my 10+ year account , blocked payment at my bank. Ecrater will now get all my deadbay listings.

These idiots are desperate , & making major mistakes , one after another. This is no longer a valuable place to sell.

Run ! , get off this failing site , move on , change is good. I recommend everyone stop buying & selling on this bogus retarded site. EBAY IS DEADBAY ! When is the funeral?

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 12:40:15 2015

@iheartjacksparrow

SpeediTrade is still under construction and fees will be posted publically soon, however you can browse without any fees at all, the fees so far to me are more than fair, and memberships will at the top be no final value fees, keep it as I think it may be something later to look into, from the best I can make out a page is being added with fees by the webmaster, next week and will have several opinions, ill keep you posted I listed several items and sold 6 first 2 days so far so good.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Feb 13 13:19:38 2015

Gizmo says "Ecrater will now get all my deadbay listings."

I'm going to plug them again. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE eCrater. Stress free, my items are shopping up in web search and Google shopping.  HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!  So simple, so easy and they are not remodeling the house every other day.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 14:03:55 2015

Poster "sasikat9" says "…eBay [sic] will change …diapers [of] disappointed [buyers]…"

Not so, Kat!  You, the seller, are the one who will face the stink and the filth!  You seriously think  JD is going to get his multi-million dollar hands dirty?  No, you will take the full hit of lost sale, lost shipping cost, lost time, and the hit on FB & DSR's.  You, not the eBay [mis-]Management Team.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 14:06:07 2015

Oh, BTW, PreyPal [aka PayPig] is suffering an outage right now; you can't log on.   Perhaps more sandbagging of The Pig's ultimate spin-off price by Carl's Inside Guys?

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 14:09:49 2015

Poster "MaxMad" says: "…there's no one in control."

Gee, didn't  the dimwits on the BoD just hand the irreplaceable JD $23MM to keep him "retained?"  How many rounds of golf will this clown play before he pays the slightest attention to this or other matters?  PayPal is down at the time I'm keying this - you think he cares?  He's got his millions…why bother to do the job?  Actually, the less JD DOES, the better off we probably are!

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri Feb 13 15:09:33 2015

Speaking for myself, there's a reason that I choose to do my online shopping from my PC screen instead of my smartphone screen.

I do this INTENTIONALLY.

It's easier to type in a search query from a full-sized keyboard.

It's easier to browse through the results.

It's easier to read the full descriptions.

It's easier to compare similar products.

So... I wonder... WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DUPLICATE THE SMARTPHONE SHOPPING EXPERIENCE ON A PC SCREEN?

Seriously?!!

Are you @#$%ing kidding me?!

eBay is INTENTIONALLY crippling desktop shopping so that it's as useless and painful and confusing as smartphone shopping?!

OH. MY. GOD.

What morons!

by: Orwellwasright This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 15:30:46 2015

interesting how ebay waited until the grotesque defect system was firmly in place, before ''experimenting'' with making seller descriptions invisible..

This new ''experiment'' will guarantee an tsunami of buyer complaints, refund requests and snad disputes, all of which coincidently result in ''defects''

Of course the avalanche of ''defects'' will achieve ebays goal... More dead sellers

Many posters have postulated that the management should be imprisoned , I disagree . They should commit the entire management team to padded cells

never in the history of the business world has any company been so driven to destroy themselves and their customers, no logic, just an apparently incurable derangement

by: Orwellwasright This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 15:31:50 2015

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 15:33:28 2015

eCrater.com is a straight arrow site, minimal, right to the point. Very little interference with the seller or buyer, unless there is something very wrong. Most who sell there have come from eBay, so they understand how to do sell.

by: OmiGosh This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 15:35:12 2015

I was looking at my listings.  All the descriptions are showing without having to click anything.  WOndering if having to click for descriptions was just using ipads, iphones and such?? Or using eBay's mobile app? I list with Sixbit .. Would THAT make a difference?

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 15:38:21 2015

I'm guessing that this has a lot to do with additional revenue, possibly linked to additional clicks on the item.

This user has validated their user name. by: shabbychick

Fri Feb 13 16:58:21 2015

Wow here is a new perk given only to preferred sellers!.   I was looking at winter boots. Yes, guilty as charged.  Lo and behold, Sports Authority does not even have to show a price! 99.00 is slashed out and you have to ''checkout'' to find the price. One poster was just  speculating about spinning a wheel for the price of the day. Well, here it is. I could not believe they will not only not show the description but not even the price!

t-Womens-/191397627444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c90300634

by: puppiesandflowers This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 17:19:54 2015

I use a mac and pretty much use firefox. Can't see the descriptions - have to click on the box. So i tried with Safari and I get the regular view with all the info visible. On firefox it's brutal - it doesn't display the listing frame properly ie your store categories and you can barely scroll around to see all of the listing info. I told ebay what i think, not that it matters. Every time you think they can't make it worse ...

The most frustrating part is that no one has stepped in to fill the ebay void. We sell collectibles and there are a lot of things you just can't sell on the river. I had high hopes for Bonanza but they have absolutely no traffic. Where else to go?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  [Next Page]