Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Aug 28 2014 11:22:16

eBay Glitch Blocks Buyers from Bidding

eBay's system is mistakenly blocking buyers in the U.S. from purchasing items from U.S. sellers, who reported the problem on Wednesday morning, according to users.

"Buyers are being blocked from bidding or purchasing items on eBay due to a glitch that states "The seller does not ship to your location,"" said an EcommerceBytes reader. "This is happening for US customers on listings where the seller ships to the US.  We spoke with CS this morning and they said it is a major global issue."

In a thread started on the eBay discussion boards on Wednesday, a seller wrote, "I am in New Jersey and a buyer from Texas purchased two fixed priced items and then went to bid on auctions from me and got a message saying she was blocked from doing so because she lives in a country I don't ship to."

Sellers said they are being told it is a known issue with auction listings - and possibly fixed-price listings. One seller speculated eBay's system might be confusing state codes with country codes. EcommerceBytes sent an inquiry to eBay for more information.

eBay has a new outage policy, which it changed without notifying sellers, in which it says it will post about problems on its announcement board, but it has yet to post about the current problem or how it intends to compensate sellers.

Perminate Link for eBay Glitch Blocks Buyers from Bidding   eBay Glitch Blocks Buyers from Bidding

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Aug 29 12:14:23 2014

@MartinFrank - I got a message that your url was "not found on this server."

I never had a problem with zero feedback buyers when I was selling on eBay. The ones that stick in my memory are the buyers that had over 1,000 positive feedback and wouldn't pay for $3 items.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Fri Aug 29 12:57:05 2014

I don't think Buyers should'nt get honest negative feedback either but that falls on deaf ears. If they are going to have a feedback system, it needs to be the same for both buyers and sellers. Talk about the buyers walking around with their big stick...At least the way it was in the early days, it was a 2 sided system instead of this one sided unfair system they now have.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Fri Aug 29 12:58:04 2014

It's like going to a gunfight but only one  is allowed to carry a gun.

by: Mattmelle This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 13:06:13 2014

It will be interesting what the scope or size of this "glitch" was and if it affected certain categories more than others. eBay doesn't seem to fully understand what it is at all theses days!

by: Mattmelle This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 13:09:48 2014

I do think that having your own branded site is good with eBay being so uncertain But sellers never actually share what the true costs of building and marketing their website, they always "brag" about not having to pay fees to eBay. I'm not disagreeing with this but include what your website costs are per sale:) Your own online store website is not free especially at the beginning.

by: Xander This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 13:26:35 2014

Just stopped by to catch up on ebay news and wow... this one is quit a blunder. Everyone is losing money with this problem.

It's sad how difficult the ebay platform has become. Many ebay sellers are crying out in pain as their business's have been financially hurt by ebay's many changes and dis-functionality.

The way I feel at this moment, I could care less if ebay continues or fails. I do feel sad for the many who suffer on the platform though.

There will always be those who hate on ebay and those of support them. Nothing more than ebay yin/yang.

Lucky for us and many other sellers who have broken off from ebay, we no longer have to concern ourselves with their rules, so called ''glitches'' or system malfunctions.

I believe after using ebay for so long, there is a sort of ''separation'' process one goes through. For me, the process takes some time and is still ongoing to a small degree.

I still do my part to encourage friends and family to close their ebay accounts and shop elsewhere.

Reason being, I see no purpose to support ebay as I do not agree with the way they treat their users. Just like a bad relationship, one should know when it's time to leave an abusive partner. I do my part to shine light on the way ebay has abused it's users. They can then decide if they want to continue to use ebay further or not.

Speaking of bullies, ebay is the biggest and most damaging I've ever seen.

At lease ebay cannot hurt me or my family any further. Our business is strong, customers are pleasant and we run our business using our own policies but the best part is no more fee's to ebay!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Aug 29 13:37:00 2014

@laurengrace

It is a mixed bag out there in regards to FB.  Some sites don't allow sellers to leave FB at all for a customer.

I think the only reason Ebay doesn't move to that format is that buyers will strongly object.  Otherwise they too would have joined the other sites that don't allow customer FB.

I think it is way too late to bring back negative FB for buyers.  Sellers are so angry now that it would backfire big time.  You would not be able to insure that sellers wouldn't over react.  We have been bruised up for too long by the current lop sided policies.  But that is just my opinion.

This user has validated their user name. by: Island_Sam

Fri Aug 29 13:37:45 2014

It's bad enough that our sales is down 60% this year.

We have very little bids on 30 items with .01 cent auctions listed in the last 3 days. Ebay just keeps adding nails to the proverbial coffin...

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Aug 29 13:49:55 2014

Marie.

I am looking under the buyer requirements. Only one type of buyer is being blocked.  I honestly can't believe how  many I had.  I figured I'm actually losing a few sales so I unticked it. I'd rather deal with a couple of flakes than lose those sales.

No, Ebay will never allow us to block 0 feedback buyers but those are the ones that are 90% of the non paying bidders.

by: Xander This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 14:09:03 2014

@Mattmelle

Our website costs 79.99/ month. We are currently making around $10,000.00 worth of sales per month and this is our slow period. This year, we have had months as low as $8,000.00 and some as high as $14,500.00. Sales continue to climb every year.

We don't pay for any google services, all our customers come from word of mouth or from organic search.

I can't offer you a ''cost per sale'' but for 79.99/mo, the reduction in fee's is substantial.

$10,000.00 X 12% = $1,200.00 fees less $79.99 = $1,120.01 in fees we no longer have to pay.

A business can survive with lower sales volume because they are no longer paying ebay 10% plus 10% fee on shipping for every item. No store fees or software subscriptions either. In our case, $79.99 a month is what we've been paying this past year and a half and $29.99/mo before that.

Hopefully that answers your question.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Aug 29 14:13:38 2014

It isn't a sale unless you get paid for it.  If they are being blocked due to too many unpaid strikes, then they have stung a few sellers.

Just out of curiosity, looking at your list of blocked buyers, what are their FB numbers.  Are they mostly newer buyers?  On my report, the ones blocked for non paying averaged over 750 FB.

I firmly disagree about the new buyers being 90% of the problems with non payers.  Where did you get that figure.  I know for me and many others I've spoken with they are a fraction of our problems.  Possibly in the category you sell it, it presents a larger problem.  I know for electronics new buyers are a real issue, much more so than any other category.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Fri Aug 29 14:17:42 2014

Xander, Who is doing the hosting?

by: Xander This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 14:33:14 2014

I'd rather not be specific as to which one we use but it is one of the following.

Volusion
Bigcommerce

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Aug 29 14:36:07 2014

You can find hosting that is reasonable, but everyone is not going to be as lucky as Xander and have no need to pay to drive traffic to your site.  Certainly some can but there are others that need to drive traffic.  Once your not paying Ebay anymore you can use the money you use to pay Ebay to drive traffic.

But as you are building your site that could be difficult since you will probably still need to be on Ebay to make money.  It is all a process.  I'm not trying to discourage anyone.  But you need to know it isn't free.

I too am working towards my independence.  Doing it by steps will help to ensure you don't hurt yourself during the process.

This user has validated their user name. by: Island_Sam

Fri Aug 29 14:51:57 2014

We are currently using Network Solutions to host our site. Also have a third party contractor doing our SEO (Search Engine Optimization) It definitely is not for everyone. If your business has the scale to support the costs, go for it. If you are just a "hobbyist" seller, it may not be the right fit. Then you may have to look at other platforms, Etsy, Bonanza, Ebid, etc, etc.

by: Xander This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 15:29:33 2014

Yes, having your own site is a process and you will need time to build your site and develop a following.

With that said, having your own site is not for everyone. You really have to want it.

We started four years ago when we concluded the future of ebay did not align with our business needs and yes, it was slow at first so one must allow time to get it working for you. It's never too late to get started though.

When you look at the costs to get started, compared to what ebay takes each month, it's a very small monthly investment. The average starting cost is around $29.99/mo. A small price to pay to regain your freedom from venue fees and control.

The sooner one starts, the earlier they'll get there.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Aug 29 15:43:49 2014

I always get people asking me to buy items with two strikes because of some misfortune they had.  I usually do the sale directly via paypal.  I figured I would just take my chances. And yes, for ME, 90% of my non paying bidders are new to ebay, just signed up and have no feedback.  I would think it would be similar across the board.  People with established feedback typically pay, so I would think naturally the new accounts are most likely not to.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Aug 29 16:14:30 2014

Incidentally, most of the buyer that go on my bbl are because they are idiots and cause problems, are insatiable etc.  Not because they don't pay.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Fri Aug 29 16:27:52 2014

I have looked at shopify,volusion and big commerce. I liked the look of big commerce templates, but the import wasn't as easy as shopify and the pics on shopify look really good, However getting items organized on shopify is more work, With Volusion, i cant tell how the import will work until i commit to them although there may be a workaround for that. Years ago i used Shoppal, but they havent kept up with all the new stuff such as mobile comerce. They do have a bulk uploader though, where you can load six items at a time rather than the tedious one at a time. I also used highwire but looks like they sold out to Volusion. I actually did real well with Highwire. Anybody else want to share?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Aug 29 17:02:24 2014

"Some people's hatred of Ebay certainly seems to cloud their judgement."

And you are surprised?  The financial downfall has happened.  A dog who is continually beaten with a stick will hate and it will cloud his judgement and he will bite.

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]