Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Aug 28 2014 11:22:16

eBay Glitch Blocks Buyers from Bidding

eBay's system is mistakenly blocking buyers in the U.S. from purchasing items from U.S. sellers, who reported the problem on Wednesday morning, according to users.

"Buyers are being blocked from bidding or purchasing items on eBay due to a glitch that states "The seller does not ship to your location,"" said an EcommerceBytes reader. "This is happening for US customers on listings where the seller ships to the US.  We spoke with CS this morning and they said it is a major global issue."

In a thread started on the eBay discussion boards on Wednesday, a seller wrote, "I am in New Jersey and a buyer from Texas purchased two fixed priced items and then went to bid on auctions from me and got a message saying she was blocked from doing so because she lives in a country I don't ship to."

Sellers said they are being told it is a known issue with auction listings - and possibly fixed-price listings. One seller speculated eBay's system might be confusing state codes with country codes. EcommerceBytes sent an inquiry to eBay for more information.

eBay has a new outage policy, which it changed without notifying sellers, in which it says it will post about problems on its announcement board, but it has yet to post about the current problem or how it intends to compensate sellers.

Perminate Link for eBay Glitch Blocks Buyers from Bidding   eBay Glitch Blocks Buyers from Bidding

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Aug 28 20:07:39 2014

Darn good thing that 3.2 million dollar comic book bid was able to get through.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Aug 28 22:09:26 2014

Bill Harding ! (CEO of Bonanza)
The "Auction Gods" are SCREAMING at you. Begin commencement of Bonanza Auctions NOW !

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 28 22:48:04 2014

@Annie

Totally OT but I just had to tell you that I LOVE, love, love your avatar.  Hyacinth is one of my most favorite people in the whole wide world :)

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 28 22:49:32 2014

@The End

From your lips to Bill's ears.  Are you listening, Bill???

This user has validated their user name. by: shabbychick

Thu Aug 28 23:05:02 2014

@Bassett
Tee Hee, wait til the guy finds out he missed the 4 million dollar bid because of the glitch!

This user has validated their user name. by: shabbychick

Fri Aug 29 00:14:41 2014

For Ebay there is a very simple solution to this problem. Just quickly eliminate the Buyer Requirements Activity Log.
Then it will be almost impossible for sellers to know how long the problem has been going on and how many bids they lost.
Gee, maybe I can get a job as an Ebay exec now !

by: Santini This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 00:39:54 2014

A quote from manager Casey Stengel about his hapless 1962 Mets comes to mind: "Can't anybody here play this game?"

by: dpetes This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 00:41:26 2014

10:30pm pdt. Still NO announcement on the Ebay announcement board.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Aug 29 01:56:05 2014

Although I realize the seven year long parade of CEO stupidity has damaged or destroyed many of our businesses and diminished our income, I hope we see many more of these problems especially in Q4.

If someone inside ebay or an outside group is responsible, keep up the good work and redouble your efforts to brings down these arrogant sociopaths.

What's happened this year are but a few drops in the karmic bucket.

Take down ebay.

Publicly embarrass and humiliate their management team (as if they didn't enough of that themselves but so few know about it unfortunately).

Are the slaves rebelling?

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Fri Aug 29 02:09:59 2014

Basset said : "Darn good thing that 3.2 million dollar comic book bid was able to get through"

Well how can we be certain someone didn't bid 4 million and not have it get through or 5 million ?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Aug 29 02:15:07 2014

Some people's hatred of Ebay certainly seems to cloud their judgement.  To hope for Ebay's demise is to hope for the financial downfall of many good people or make them significantly struggle financially.  What some find funny, others do not.

I nor anyone else needs to justify why we stay on Ebay.  Nor do we deserve to be bullied, called names or otherwise insulted.  Because Ebay did not work for you does not mean it can not work for someone else.

What makes your bully tactics acceptable?  Taking a page for Ebay's playbook isn't the answer.    Doesn't that make your actions oxymoronic.  You don't like Ebay yet you are willing to act just like them.

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 07:09:22 2014

I believe I've said this before here, but it bears repeating. The fact that such a fundamental piece of functionality - i.e. "determine if seller ships to buyer's country" - stopped working, is an indication that the ebay software has become "spaghetti code".  Given the almost continual changes made to the code, it's hardly surprising.
We can look forward to an accelerating rate of serious BUGS ("glitches" sounds so trivial, purposely so) in the future.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri Aug 29 09:01:53 2014

Although many rank-and-file sellers often feel the negative consequences of eBay's incompetence, the silver-lining is that when such a thing happens in a frightfully glaring, obvious and very public way---there's a chance that it may force eBay to improve and correct the error.

Such an event is also a positive thing in that it provides casual outside observers some insight regarding eBay's incompetence, Draconian and myopic policies. These types of things tend to thrive in darkness, but when illuminated and made available for public scrutiny, they're likely to change or discontinue.

That's a good reason to be happy and optimistic. JD's personal embarrassment (whether admitted or not) and the public shaming of his cluelessness is just a bonus.

by: MovinOn This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 09:39:06 2014

I mentioned this problem to a friend who still sells on ebay. He checked his log and found 9 bids or BIN attempts blocked on 8/28 for buyer in country he doesn't ship to (and a few with too many NPB strikes). Most were from the U.S., which he ships to. He said he would try contacting those blocked bidders/buyers that have items for sale to ask them what happened and if they are still interested in buying, they could try to resolve it in ebay, or sell outside ebay if necessary. Why lose sales because of ebay's incompetent programming?

I'm glad I don't sell on ebay any more. With ''glitches'' like this, who needs enemies??? Good thing ebay is saving millions of $$$ per year outsourcing their programming to India. Is this the source of so many ''glitches''?

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 10:23:36 2014

Under ebay's policy that they believe in this has caused problems in thousands of listings so where DO WE LEAVE THE THOUSANDS OF DEFECTS FOR EBAY!!

by: MartinFrank This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 29 10:26:57 2014

We used to sell 20K+ per month on eBay, now we are down to under 5k and will drop off completely before long.  I have spent the last few years developing a new marketplace.  We are just now entering into Beta.  Click the website URL if you are interested in learning more.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Aug 29 10:42:04 2014

I am not seeing that issue but I ship everywhere. Is that perhaps why? Mine are all for unpaid strikes.  I think I am going to untick that category and take my chances lol.  I would LOVE to be able to block people with 0 feecback though.  I've been bitching about that for years.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Aug 29 11:32:30 2014

@woodjungle

If you are looking at your resolution center, where you can see your UIDs, you are looking in the wrong place.  You can't tell from there if a customer tried to purchase and was blocked for whatever reason they may have been blocked which it usually driven by your Buyer Requirements that you set up under Site Preferences.

The report you need to look at under Site Preferences, then Buyer Requirements.  Click on show button on the right.  Once you've done that, look left, there will be some blue words about a report.  Click on that and you will see who has been blocked due to the requirements you have set.

That is where some of us are finding buyers being blocked that should have never been blocked.

In regards to 0 FB buyers.  I highly doubt Ebay would ever make that an option.  At least I hope not.  To do that will discourage new members.  Just because someone is a new member doesn't make them a bad member.  We all had to start sometime.

For me, new members don't give me much trouble.  They sometimes need a little more help, but I don't mind, that is my job after all.  My problems come from more seasoned members and often time they are sellers too.  Sometimes other sellers take their frustrations out on another seller that had nothing to do with what they are upset about.  Somehow they derive some satisfaction out of that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri Aug 29 11:41:53 2014

--- ''For me, new members don't give me much trouble.  They sometimes need a little more help, but I don't mind, that is my job after all.''

Agreed! That was my experience as well.

It's difficult to make broad-brush generalizations that ALWAYS hold true, but a pattern that I *did* notice (one that was ''almost-always'' true) was that buyers who HID their feedback were the ones who were most likely to be pitas.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Aug 29 11:55:49 2014

I don't think private FB has any place on a site like Ebay.  Now that is a block I would LOVE to see Ebay add.  I'll be among the first to sign up.

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]