Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Mar 11 2014 09:45:48

eBay Makes Major Change to Seller Feedback

eBay is making a major change to seller feedback as part of its Spring Seller Update 2014. eBay will eliminate two Detailed Seller Rating criteria in what will be a welcome part of the changes.

eBay will replace the four individual Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) as the main way eBay evaluates seller performance with a new single measure called the "transaction defect rate." Item as Described and Shipping Time will remain. The factors that make up a seller's defect rate include the following:

- Detailed seller rating of 1, 2 or 3 for Item as Described;

- Detailed seller rating of 1 for Shipping Time;

- Negative or neutral feedback;

- Return initiated for a reason that indicates the item was not as described;

- eBay Money Back Guarantee (previously known as eBay Buyer Protection) or PayPal Purchase Protection case opened for an item not received or an item not as described;

- Seller-cancelled transactions.

Starting in August, sellers can have a maximum 5% of transactions with one or more transaction defects over the most recent evaluation period. Only transactions with U.S. buyers will count.

eBay will implement the new defect rate as a seller performance measure in August.

eBay will be holding online workshops to help sellers understand the new standards on March 13 at 1 pm Pacific and on March 26 at 11 am Pacific.

eBay's seller checklist:

Other changes are on the way in the U.S., including changes to Managed Returns and a new extended holiday return policy. And in an effort to optimize for Google, eBay is making category and item specific changes.

Another change likely to be unpopular is changes to tracking: Top Rated Sellers, who must have tracking uploaded to eBay on 90% of their transactions within their stated handling time, must now have validated tracking numbers - meaning ones that eBay can validate - eBay must receive at least one carrier scan.

See more details about the eBay Spring Seller Update here - And details about eBay UK changes here - which will include fee changes.

Perminate Link for eBay Makes Major Change to Seller Feedback   eBay Makes Major Change to Seller Feedback

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Mar 11 19:07:00 2014

I think our listing & inventory strategy for the holidays will undergo substantial changes given the forced return policy.

Instead of listing our full inventory on eBay, our holiday strategy starting in September, will be to list only those items where return rates are historically zero.

For the holidays, our listings will be limited to cables, splitters, adapters etc... Items such as routers, sound cards, biometric finger print scanners and so forth will not be available until after the holidays on eBay but will remain available through our other marketplace shops.

Since our listing volume will be drastically reduced, we will not need the benefit of free listings that come with our store subscription, so we will be able to cancel that for the entire fourth quarter.

Maybe we will open a new store in January, maybe not, as it is obvious that eBay's incompetent management is oblivious and does not care about the success of their sellers.

From what I see, as a result of their own policy changes, eBay will be able to count on having a worse fourth quarter in 2014 than they had in 2013.  I can project that my strategy change with eBay for the holiday sales period will result in about a 45% drop in revenue for eBay from our account.

by: FurryFriend702 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 19:10:37 2014

Why does Ebay have to keep copying Amazon? At Amazon, they use Order Defect Rate (ODR) as a major evaluation metric. Ebay even copies the name.

Ebay is also copying Amazon by counting neutrals as a negative and punishing seller when the buyer merely opens a case (whether or not the seller is at fault).

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Tue Mar 11 19:13:45 2014

Before being "rewarded" for good seller performance, it took 1 & 2 star rated DSRs to do them in.

It appears 3 stars now have the ability to do the deed.

And the neutrals count as negatives because they're not positives (Book of Brian Burke 13:1) mentality has been revisited upon us.

by: TexasTwister This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 19:17:49 2014

So, all these changes, hoops to jump through, etc. and all I get as a TRS is...nothing? A bump in ''Best Match''? No additional discounts or incentives (like more free insertions)? Why not call the ''Defect Rate'' the seller's ''Success Rate''? Why the focus on sellers being ''bad'' and buyers being ''good''?

I've had a great Spring so far on eBay, but I just don't like being constantly poked in the chest by eBay's finger.

Oh, and it'll be a cold day in Haiti if I'm going to let someone buy an item on November 1st and allow them to return it by January 31st of the next year. That's simply nuts. I'll simply not worry about my 20% discount. A 90 day return policy just ain't gonna happen.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 19:26:26 2014

Is this another way to get rid of all small sellers?
ebay is a joke.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 19:30:26 2014

As far as I'm concern they can keep the 20% discount. It ain't worth the trouble. Is nothing but a rabbit on a dog track.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Tue Mar 11 19:51:07 2014

WOW ! This is MAJOR DAMAGE to smaller sellers who get evaluated every 12 months !

As of Today by the Old Standards I am TOP RATED, I have 0 low 1 or 2 Ratings in all 4 categories. I also have no Negative Feedback, and 4 Neutrals.

But I got an email today telling me I am past the 5% so what that means is if Today was Aug. 20th and they Rated me on the last 12 months, Forget I have NO 1 or 2 low DSR's in any 4 categories, forget that I upload Tracking within 24 hours, forget that I ship for FREE, forget that I am Top Rated Plus today, cause Aug. 20th with the EXACT Record I have right now because of the Neutrals and a few 3 star ratings, I am Below Average, and risk losing my selling priviliges !

WOW WOW WOW ! Oh my Gosh ! I jumped through hoops, sweated bullets, describe accurate, earned my Top Rated Plus, but with new metrics I would be out of business Below Average, Pay Pal Holds, you name it ! A freaking TOP RATED SELLER !

I get the Hint eBay, you only want sellers who sell 400 items ever 3 months, not 200 a year. I am truly no longer wanted, if eBays new metrics convert me to a BELOW AVG seller, there is no hope for most sellers, this is the final death blow to us little guys !

I am truly sad, crushed, shocked and in total disbelief ! Whomever at eBay dreams up these sadistic, cruel metrics, that take a TRS today that converts to Below average over 5% is very cruel and mean spirited to individuals and kids than need fed from people like me relying on eBay

WOW !  ; (

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 19:54:42 2014

@scaryguy I think your 500% correct. the big picture is many if not most on ebay can not and will not be a rental service. A lot of sellers are living day to day or week to week barely staying afloat in current conditions. A 3 month return would sink most but NOT major chain stores. These changes are smoke and screens for ebay. Just another way for them to say get the fluck off our site.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Tue Mar 11 19:56:00 2014

@Texas Twister:

Right on bro!

It should be a SUCCESS RATE of 98% not a 2% defect rate.

What does that tell the seller - your only a minuscule amount from being perfect instead of "Alice, just one more and ... bam! To the Moon" (Honeymooners).

It also tells scads about eBays mentality. We want to build you up, but don't make any mistakes - or the guard-rail will get ya!

It's a tough cold world out there.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Tue Mar 11 19:57:29 2014

Shoot -

What does that tell the seller - YOU'RE only a minuscule amount from being perfect instead of "Alice, just one more and ... bam! To the Moon" (Honeymooners).

Sorry.....

by: candy7122 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 19:57:39 2014

I have already decided what I need to do.  If I should fall out of my TRS+ status I will NOT offer refunds, I will change my shipping time frame to 2 days handling and I am putting 1.00 shipping on all of my items.  That covers the loss of my 20% FVF discount.  I hate to put it back on to my buyers but Ebay is forcing my hand.  If by some miracle I do keep my TRS+ I will change my items to no returns during the months of Nov. and Dec. and add on the 1.00 shipping for each item to cover the loss of the 20% FVF discount.

This user has validated their user name. by: FIERCEI

Tue Mar 11 19:59:28 2014

I simply don't care anymore. It is not worth it! JD and his board members can keep the 20% discount.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Tue Mar 11 20:01:34 2014

And we're supposed to take the time to change the return policy for 3 months? Like I need more listing maintenance  to deal with.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 20:10:29 2014

LDS brother- HORRIBLE!
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Mar 11 20:31:23 2014

Ebay just a gave a boost today to a marketplace that hasn't even opened yet.

Today's announcement once again clearly reflects a complete lack of understanding of the reality of selling full time on ebay.

And even worse, most of these changes demonstrate ebay's complete disrespect for their sellers and proves once against that greed trumps success.

Even though he likely won't succeed in putting his people on the BoD, Carl Icahn may well have effectively ended The Reign of The Ho.

Ebay has to be the only company that has a death wish.

by: candy7122 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 20:37:37 2014

I would rather change my listings and have the listing maintenance than let some dufuss use my items for 3 months.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Tue Mar 11 20:38:52 2014

i thought you have to change them to opt in the extended holiday returns. no?

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 20:42:13 2014

All eBay is trying to do is beat Amazon of which they will never attain. Amazon is too solidly grounded to be beating by a company who's main principle is greed. Pretty soon is them who will get what they are doing to us. Even one of eBay's most famous investor (Carl Icahn ) doesn't agree on how the company is been run.  Like Enron and AIG they will fall but the government will not bail out ebay.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 21:14:47 2014

Icahn owns 2%.  Icahn already voted his 100% shares on JD with 100% DEFECT.  Why is JD still ebay CEO today?  This is double standard, JD.  Resign now.  Shame, Shame, Shame.

Paypal founder Elon Musk and many large investors weighed in and said Paypal should be split without doubt.

JD and Omidyar are scared and unethically leveraged ebay resources to protect themselves.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 21:27:07 2014

Icahn surely disagree ebay cut JD salary by 53%

According to ebay, JD defect rate is 53%.  It is why his salary is CUT by 53%.

Icahn owns 2% of all ebay shares.
He voted 100% shares JD is 100% DEFECTIVE.  Therefore, JD should not be compensated in 2013.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  [Next Page]