Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Mar 11 2014 09:45:48

eBay Makes Major Change to Seller Feedback

eBay is making a major change to seller feedback as part of its Spring Seller Update 2014. eBay will eliminate two Detailed Seller Rating criteria in what will be a welcome part of the changes.

eBay will replace the four individual Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) as the main way eBay evaluates seller performance with a new single measure called the "transaction defect rate." Item as Described and Shipping Time will remain. The factors that make up a seller's defect rate include the following:

- Detailed seller rating of 1, 2 or 3 for Item as Described;

- Detailed seller rating of 1 for Shipping Time;

- Negative or neutral feedback;

- Return initiated for a reason that indicates the item was not as described;

- eBay Money Back Guarantee (previously known as eBay Buyer Protection) or PayPal Purchase Protection case opened for an item not received or an item not as described;

- Seller-cancelled transactions.

Starting in August, sellers can have a maximum 5% of transactions with one or more transaction defects over the most recent evaluation period. Only transactions with U.S. buyers will count.

eBay will implement the new defect rate as a seller performance measure in August.

eBay will be holding online workshops to help sellers understand the new standards on March 13 at 1 pm Pacific and on March 26 at 11 am Pacific.

eBay's seller checklist:

Other changes are on the way in the U.S., including changes to Managed Returns and a new extended holiday return policy. And in an effort to optimize for Google, eBay is making category and item specific changes.

Another change likely to be unpopular is changes to tracking: Top Rated Sellers, who must have tracking uploaded to eBay on 90% of their transactions within their stated handling time, must now have validated tracking numbers - meaning ones that eBay can validate - eBay must receive at least one carrier scan.

See more details about the eBay Spring Seller Update here - And details about eBay UK changes here - which will include fee changes.

Perminate Link for eBay Makes Major Change to Seller Feedback   eBay Makes Major Change to Seller Feedback

by: RAOTFLMAO This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 15:23:52 2014

PowerSeller2007
I would call the postoffice 800 number, make a complaint.  My post office gave me fits for a while but I guarantee if you complain about every little thing on the 800 number your postoffice will be trying to get along with you.  I get my packages picked up and scanned, I never take them in anymore.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 15:32:13 2014

Well, I for one am sort of relieved to finally learn exactly what eBay thinks of me.

Now, with this new system of rating us, eBay will be telling just how MUCH of a Defective Seller we are.  I guess some of us are just more defective than others...

In the 1880 U.S. Federal Census, a supplemental schedule called “Dependent, Defective, and Delinquent Classes” was included with the regular form that was filled out.  I guess if they were still using that on the Census forms nowadays, if you told the Census taker your employment/employer was eBay, you'd automatically be put on that form instead of the regular one???

@Puck - I like your comment about the seat of the chair.  Maybe that's why I seem to be missing chairs around here on occasion.

I just can't WAIT for the Fall Seller Update...

This user has validated their user name. by: Lander Blue

Tue Mar 11 15:35:57 2014

Marie - We can get a basic idea of how these changes might affect us by noting how many times each criteria occurred in the last year (or three months, as the case may be), then using this figure to determine our possible "defect" rate.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 15:37:22 2014

Agree ebay/JD is smart.  Some say H* was a genius.  Both are nuts.
  JD's greed decimated small American sellers by hundred of thousands.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 15:49:24 2014

JD set strict rules to all AND then forgive those he favored.  With TRS and feedback, we are all aware ebay wiped off bad feedbacks and bad ratings for large sellers.
   JD has more control with the unstable system he put on the sellers.   He will choose to take your TRS discount if he fall short of monthly revenue.   This is truly a smokescreen to ebay investors.
    Everyone would sell their items cheap hoping for the TRS discount and then JD steal them away a few days before your ebay invoice.
    It is why ebay investors need to elect both of Icahn's nominees to ebay BOD.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Mar 11 16:04:15 2014

@landers

Yes, that is a good idea.  Plus next month they are going to put it on our dashboards so we can start preparing for what is coming.  It will be interesting.

I for one have been TRS Plus for a very long time.  When these changes start in summer I will no longer be concerned about it.  If I qualify, great, if I don't, so be it.  In fact at that time I will probably just disqualify myself by moving my handling time to 2 days.  While I could keep TRS, I would lose TRS plus.

Well that is providing all those new things we are being evaluated on don't kill me.

And I'm willing to bet that this is exactly what JD wanted.  Less TRS Plus sellers which in turn puts a great deal of money back into Ebay's bottom line.  It will make TRS Plus look a bit more elite than it does now.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 16:13:56 2014

Sorry to digress.  Here's is one problem with ebay DEFECT RATE.

1-800-ASK-USPS is worst in customer service.   I called and the CS say branch manager can do whatever they want.  So I could not get my SCAN FORM scanned for over a year.  I was told to print them one at a time and they will scan the other half of the label.  Which means I have to waste one label for each label printed.

They also refused to print the USPS Tracking receipt though they have sign that say all USPS Tracking get a receipt.  The acting supervisor said I already got my Paypal receipt when I paid the postage.  She confused or purposely mix up the scan receipt with the payment receipt.

They would only use the hand held scanner, so I waited a few times for 10 minutes because the postal clerk could not find one around and has to grab one from another guy at the back room.  They were all instructed by the postal manager so they are all scared to get fired.
  What a waste of costly labels and waste of 12 customers' time standing in line and waste of postal clerk time walking to the back room.... ALL because I did not pay my postage at the USPS counter.

by: SparklyEyes7 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 16:24:06 2014

I received a call today from eBay notifying me of the new seller updates.  After bending her ear for 30 minutes, I bet she wished she hadn't called!

by: Bethofvt This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 16:54:17 2014

I now allow 14 day return for any reason to comply with Ebay request.  And I am getting 3 or 4 returns a month that have nothing to do with the item description, buyers just change their mind after receiving item. I accept the return, issue a full refund BUT if I want my FVF fees back, I have to cancel the transaction. Looks to me like Ebay wants me to accept returns but still pay FVF on sales that didn't happen.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Mar 11 17:02:35 2014

A 90 return policy for luxury goods is untenable. I WILL NOT be accepting a 90 day return policy for evening wear, luxury handbags and delicate silk scarves (imagine getting a perfume drenched scarf back with pulls and makeup stains). Sales have been abysmal for the last six months and will become even more abysmal during the 2014 holiday season when I opt to forgo the 20% TRSD on an already gaunt profit margin and elect to add the 20% TRSD to my listings in order to offset my losses = fewer sales and less profit to 'eBray.' Rather than work with eBay's ever devolving business model I choose to change how I live.

This user has validated their user name. by: eBankrupted

Tue Mar 11 17:30:02 2014

So last month an ice storm in the south slowed a USPS Priority insured package by 5 days.  Fleecebay estimated 2 day delivery, and the item was shipped the same day.  The buyer OPENED an INR on day 2 when the package wasn't delivered without contacting me.  I filed an insurance claim, and 3 days later the item delivered and the buyer closed the INR claim with a 'thanks, its here and works good!'.

Now I'm responsible for a USPS delay, act of God, icestorm, flipped over USPS truck, etc.

Goodbye fleecebay.  They've done themselves dirty this time because sellers are really really angry now.

Each of these defect reasons all end with the sentence with something like, 'research shows buyers leave ebay because of...'.

Shareholders should take this as a major defect on ebay's GMV because its an admission that buyers are leaving.  Buyers are leaving because buyers are sellers, and sellers are running for the exits.

This might explain why Amazon is recruiting sellers now.  Amazon buyers are increasing and they need sellers.  This must have never occurred to the metric obsessed MBA delusional bots at fleecebay who are losing touch with reality.

Flee while you can sellers!  Do not waste another minute complaining about the psycho policies that constantly change.  Don't get dizzy reading the garbage propaganda from fleecebay.  Don't walk away mad, just walk away.

Bubbye Fleecebay!  Good riddance.

by: Soggy Dollar This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 17:49:08 2014

My head is spinning.  Do they have their head up their behinds at Ebay central? Too many turns and spins in this new rating system. Sellers are to be held accountable for the shipping carriers delays in delivery?  The delivery estimates are unrealistic and we all know it.  I am responsible for getting it in the hands of the carrier within my stated shipping time.  How can they penalize me for doing what I said I would do if the carrier doesn't deliver on time?  I for one will raise my pricing 20% to cover the discount loss before I'll opt in to their extended Holiday return time.  I sell jewelry that is worn to parties and formal affairs.  Wear it during the holiday and get a full refund? I think not. Customers will just pay a higher price for Ebay's ignorance in shoving these absurd rules down our throats.

This user has validated their user name. by: eBankrupted

Tue Mar 11 17:59:19 2014

Soggy Dollar,
If one of your friends were in the process of committing suicide and asked if you wanted to join; would you decline the suicide invitation, or would you sit there crying and helpless while going along with the suicide invitation mumbling; "I can't believe we're committing suicide.." ?

Ebay is committing suicide, so you'd better get off the bus before you go over the cliff with them.  No more whining.  Ebay is that crazy person sleeping on the rail road tracks telling you to join the insanity.  Just don't do it.  They are completely out of control and laughing at how helpless most sellers sound today on the boards and blogs.

Any seller staying with ebay at this point deserves to lose their business, sanity, happiness and everything they've worked for.  You stay, you lose.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Mar 11 18:02:07 2014

On being judged on seller cancellations. The “Chicago Shill” used to cancel auctions often when her multiple shill bidders were not able to get any genuine bidder to bid further. But you can bet that such sellers, who are nevertheless providing eBay with lots of FVFs, will probably not be so judged … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

eBay was going to start charging their FVF on cancellations instigated by a seller after a bid had been placed; have they actually implemented that policy?

On Seller/Buyer Protection. These otherwise purely nominal “protections” are designed to be “balanced”; they alternate; you get one or the other; obviously, under such a primitive Boolean algorithm you can’t have both; therefore, “Seller” protection is for eBay’s preferred sellers, and “buyer” protection is for eBay’s non-preferred sellers …

No doubt this new “Defect Rating” system will be likewise “balanced” …

Regardless, don’t ever expect to get anything logical out of eBay; long ago, Johnny Ho boasted of replacing 75 of the top 100 executive positions with a gaggle of his cretinous feathered friends, and in the eyes of this narcissistic sociopath, compared to himself, every one else is “defective”—it’s just a matter of degree, and he knows this because he has written it in his personal priorities file that he carries with him everywhere he goes—LOL …

And, if eBay is using expensive human resources to personally call sellers it means only one thing, all is not well at Fortress eBay, which is, surely, the only reason that the Ho would be taking a pay reduction; I therefore look forward with interest to the nonsense (if anything) that emanates thereon from the eBay Dept of Spin …

Any Carl Icahn influence could not be any worse than that provided by the present bunch of thieves; why, Icahn may even have some principles …

“Never ever hire an MBA; they will ruin your company.” - PayPal founder, Peter Thiel

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 18:18:15 2014

We are going to be more vulnerable to buyer extortion with the way eBay is making us operate.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Mar 11 18:25:53 2014

@bankrupted

While I certainly don't like this Seller Update, you are aware that people have been saying this about Ebay for almost a decade.  Somewhere along the line it gets to be a stale statement.

Ebay is a very profitable company.  And if they  sell of PP, it will bolster the bottom line even more.  While they haven't grown as fast as some earlier years, they still grow.  It's a complex thing as there are many reasons why they continue to be profitable.  They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Now while this update does not contain any fee increases, don't be blinded by that as Ebay will be making a good chunk of money off this update without increasing fees but by taking away the TRS discount from many sellers that will refuse to comply.

If 1M sellers decline to comply and lose their TRS discount.  And lets say they they were modest TRS sellers, their discount was $50 per month.  That would be an increase to Ebay's bottom line of $50M a month.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 18:33:28 2014

What a hypocrite company eBay is. If buyers and sellers could leave feedback for eBay they would get so many negatives and low dsr that they themselves would have been suspended a long time ago !

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Tue Mar 11 18:45:18 2014

Any one here sell vintage?  I honestly think this update could put me out of business.  I'm in contingency mode.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 11 18:55:20 2014

The thing is, there needs to be a definite distinction between new and used items.  The standards for used items need to be lower.  It's crazy to think a seller who sells used stuff should be held to the same standards as a seller of only new stuff.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Tue Mar 11 18:58:12 2014

Steevo.

I stopped bitching at Ebay about this after the 100th phone call or so. It's ridiculous. They obviously are trying to drive this niche away from the site.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  [Next Page]