Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Mar 11 2014 09:45:48

eBay Makes Major Change to Seller Feedback

eBay is making a major change to seller feedback as part of its Spring Seller Update 2014. eBay will eliminate two Detailed Seller Rating criteria in what will be a welcome part of the changes.

eBay will replace the four individual Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) as the main way eBay evaluates seller performance with a new single measure called the "transaction defect rate." Item as Described and Shipping Time will remain. The factors that make up a seller's defect rate include the following:

- Detailed seller rating of 1, 2 or 3 for Item as Described;

- Detailed seller rating of 1 for Shipping Time;

- Negative or neutral feedback;

- Return initiated for a reason that indicates the item was not as described;

- eBay Money Back Guarantee (previously known as eBay Buyer Protection) or PayPal Purchase Protection case opened for an item not received or an item not as described;

- Seller-cancelled transactions.

Starting in August, sellers can have a maximum 5% of transactions with one or more transaction defects over the most recent evaluation period. Only transactions with U.S. buyers will count.

eBay will implement the new defect rate as a seller performance measure in August.

eBay will be holding online workshops to help sellers understand the new standards on March 13 at 1 pm Pacific and on March 26 at 11 am Pacific.

eBay's seller checklist:

Other changes are on the way in the U.S., including changes to Managed Returns and a new extended holiday return policy. And in an effort to optimize for Google, eBay is making category and item specific changes.

Another change likely to be unpopular is changes to tracking: Top Rated Sellers, who must have tracking uploaded to eBay on 90% of their transactions within their stated handling time, must now have validated tracking numbers - meaning ones that eBay can validate - eBay must receive at least one carrier scan.

See more details about the eBay Spring Seller Update here - And details about eBay UK changes here - which will include fee changes.

Perminate Link for eBay Makes Major Change to Seller Feedback   eBay Makes Major Change to Seller Feedback

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 16 01:27:37 2014

I received one negative for using a brand new zip lock bag to protect a clothing item. Nothing wrong with the $200 dress and duster she purchased for $14.99 plus shipping, just "the zip lock bag made the dress look trashy." (No kidding, buyer's words not mine). I also received two neutrals this past year from the same lady buyer. One because the bread plates I listed and sold to her were not soup bowls. Two because the sauce bowls had a different flower size than the dinner plates (even though each of the dishes had large clear multiple photos and clear descriptions and titles and measurements).
So using Ebay's new rating system, I am a Defective Seller. In reality I had to deal with defective buyers. One with a zip lock bag phobia and one I am not sure what her problem was as I cannot figure out how she thought bread plates were soup bowls or the sauce bowls should have the same size flower. I offered a full refund including return shipping,  or 3 free dinner plates. She took the dinner plates. Maybe that was her purpose all along, but I cannot say that for sure.
When I called up Ebay, the Reps apologized for not being able to help me for they could see by the messages between buyer and myself, I didn't do anything wrong. Yet, I was told both times a Buyer can state anything they want, truth or not. And that is the real problem with the feedback system past, present and future, if logic is never allowed to intervene.

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 16 03:49:45 2014

This is all about getting rid of small sellers. Donahoe & company are becoming impossible to deal with.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Mar 16 06:09:54 2014

@TiffeeJasso

Nutcase buyer? Block them and tell your friends to block them!

Sellers can no longer afford to take chances with potentially problem buyers.

Buyer asks about returns BEFORE a purchase? BLOCK THEM!

Buyer sends offer and you don't do them? BLOCK THEM.

Buyer can't formulate a comprehensible question? BLOCK THEM.

Unknown buyer asks 40 silly questions? BLOCK THEM.

Over a period of time buyer sends many questions which are answered politely and promptly yet never buys? BLOCK THEM.

Buyer sends antagonistic question? BLOCK THEM.

NO MORE ebay enabled B.S. from bad buyers!

Relinquish TRS+ for the holidays! If everyone does it, the field stays as unfair it was before 1 Nov.

Spread the word!

by: MaysLandingMel This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 16 08:44:25 2014

Well I just had to laugh... at the comments which are so true to eBay's mentality. But the one that made me laugh the most is:

"Ebay is It needs to be longer and more complicated. It's just not Ebay enough yet."

Ebay is asinine and after 14 years of these asinine changes all I can do is laugh.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sun Mar 16 09:40:41 2014

QUOTE FROM OTHER POSTER ABOVE: "When I called up Ebay, the Reps apologized for not being able to help me for they could see by the messages between buyer and myself, I didn't do anything wrong. Yet, I was told both times a Buyer can state anything they want, truth or not."

This is really so infuriating. I can't believe a company like eBay has the audacity to set in place standards that can put a seller and their family out of business possibly out on the streets from an    opinion that so may times just is not true from a malicious uneducated buyer. I got to admit since 2008 I have done down the toilet myself with income and profit, and am hanging by a thread, still Top Rated, but just ridiculous what Donahoe has done to me and many others like me.

I have sold since the 1990's shortly after eBay even launched.

I was always a good, fair seller, who shipped fast, reasonable, and appreciated my customers, then Donahoe came along in 2008 and turned my world upside down, when I did nothing to bring shame to eBay.

Then Donahoe punished me since 2008 with standards I never deserved as I was an asset to eBay and they did not care or appreciate it. I was a big buyer also.

Then remember when Lorrie Norrington said that if a seller follows what they suggest, they will do well ! Well I pretty much always did that before since the 1990's till 2008 so it was no big deal to follow what they suggested.

But........ For the last 6 years I am not doing well, my profit is shrinking by thousands of $ each year, yet I jump through hoops, do it all, and no reward.

I am Top Rated Plus, how can this be ? Now they raise the standards once more for what ? Who is reaping the reward for obeying Master Donahoe ? Sure as heck isn't my final profits.

Clear cut cases of seller abuse, and always told what poster said even if a lie, buyers can post whatever they want.

Well Donahoe this is the 21st Century, not the dark ages, is that all you can do is set unfair standards where the whole world knows a 100% lie can destroy a seller who relies on eBay to provide a roof over their head, and you allow it ? Dispute process for a seller to win fairly and have the damage removed ?

I got to admit, I no longer feel sorry for myself or any others who continue to be driven and ruined by this in my opinion evil greedy, cruel man John Donahoe

It is time to spread my wings and fly somewhere else, my own website, 11 main, or any place that does not subject me or others to such injustice when a lying opinion and mark can put you out on the streets

And I do not like CSR Reps telling me they know they sell on eBay also. No Reps with all due respect you do not know what the sick, stomach turning feeling is to do everything eBay asks, and break your back delivering for each and every customer, and then you let a blatant lie or buyers remorse on totally accurate described item punish a seller for up to 1 year. You do not know as you get a paycheck from eBay then sell on the side, when this is your livelihood and this injustice occurs you do not know !

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sun Mar 16 09:53:11 2014

PART II to my previous post:

I said about eBay that:  "I preached it, I promoted it, I encouraged it to family, friends, everyone, Postal Clerk, UPS everyone I came into contact with. I was known to church people, and friends as the eBay guy, people came to me to sell for them, to teach them how to sell etc."

Well now I do not preach it, I preach against it, I tell of the cruelty inflicted on me, especially when people come up and ask me hey, your the eBay guy I want to start selling on eBay, what do you suggest to help me get started ? I say Yer own website or any other site on the internet but eBay, and here is what they have down to me since 2008 when Donahoe took over. After I get done telling them, they are glad I told them that, as they will not be doing anything on eBay.

You see word of mouth created eBay, and John Donahoes cruelty to small and medium sellers has destroyed it. He forgot that we are buyers, we have family and friends that defected from eBay cause of what you have done to us the sellers !

So Donahoe your treatment of good sellers, and allowing cases where total lies and buyer remorse on accurate described item can and has put some of us out business, have made eBay buyers defect in masses.

Yes there are still some crappy sellers, yet now you punish the TRS with even tougher standards, good golly miss molly a 3 star and Neutral count against you ?  90 Day Return Policy - In my opinion you are a joke as a human being Mr. Donahoe, and I can't believe 6 years later your still driving this company and sellers into extinction

Mr.Ichan please understand Donahoe is not good at leading the site in every aspect his 3 year turnaround plan is in year # 6 and he still keeps allowing cruelty to sellers the real customers of eBay to punish us and exterminate us further, in turn which more word of mouth kills the sites customers even more, can anyone see that Donahoe is the King DEFECT rate besides us good sellers ?

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 16 11:02:38 2014

Tiffee Jasso:   You've got to be kidding about the ziploc bag!!!!  You should have blocked that buyer right away before she had a chance to do any more damage to your ratings!!!!

So she pulled her crap again about the plates........block her!!!!  If not, she'll continue to cause you problems.

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 16 11:23:02 2014

Ming:   I agree with you 100% about blocking the people you have outlined, and that's what I just told TIFFEE JASSO to do.  She should have blocked that buyer IMMEDIATELY after the negative feedback about putting a dress in a ziploc bag.  A negative like that should have been removed by eBay. It was totally uncalled for!!!

I've received many clothing items in a ziploc or other plastic bag.  How does it make the item look trashy???  I've even put items in a similar bag and then inside of a brown envelope if I was out of plastic mailing bags to help protect it more. Unbelievable!!!!

I've got many people on my blocked list.  If I have to open an unpaid item case, regardless if they end up paying or not......blocked!!!!

If they give me crap, like one buyer did, that it took too long to mail (I had 21" of snow!!!).....blocked!!!

Sellers don't need this harassment from buyers!!! Maybe some of these big shots at eBay should start selling.   Bet they change their attitude about feedback, DSR's and these policy changes they keep throwing in our face!!!!

And that leads to another BIG problem area - why can't sellers leave negs or neuts for the buyers??   Damn it, they can do it us, we should be able to do it to them!!! BUT NOOOOO, even if we want to show other sellers that "buyer took too long to pay", it still shows as a "positive" which makes the buyer look good and increases their FB score!!!!  So we open a case against them - without being able to leave a neut or neg, other sellers aren't aware that there may be potential problem with payment.  Solution to that:   BLOCK THEM!!!!

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 16 11:31:48 2014

LDS:   While I agree with everything you have said, the sad thing is that eBay has the monopoly of other auction sites on the web and they know it!!!

I still have a few things listed on Webstore and Bonanza (both have unlimited free listings and Webstore has NO final value fee) that I listed in September, and in that time, I only had one sale!!!!  As my stuff is selling on "feeBay", it gets deleted from the other 2 sites.

I bought quite a few things on those 2 sites in an effort to build up my feedback.  Doesn't matter - they all go to eBay to buy!!!

by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 16 19:37:38 2014

It's looking like buyers will still be able to leave all the same DSRs. Sellers just won't be able to see them.
Anyone else getting this email?

" In addition to leaving positive, negative and neutral Feedback, buyers can also leave Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) that are not visible to the seller. DSRs reflect a seller's overall performance and raise awareness among other buyers in four areas:

*Item description
   *Communication
   *Shipping time
   *Shipping and handling charges

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Mar 16 20:59:01 2014

"... buyers can also leave Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) that are not visible to the seller."

Ah, there it is, the DSRs are now hidden, just like auction bidding IDs; it’s all to protect your privacy, of course ...

It is nigh impossible to keep a track of all the deviousness, deceptiveness and unscrupulousness, or indeed, the criminal activity, of eBay Inc.; their unprincipled activities are so pervasive; one can only generalize and describe eBay as an equal opportunity fraudster: they will directly defraud, or will directly and indirectly aid and abet others to defraud, whoever they can, whenever they can, as long as they too can profit from such fraud. Indeed, eBay is probably the most unscrupulous commercial entity on the planet; eBay is—demonstrably—the greatest knowing and calculated facilitator of the most massive and endemic auction fraud on consumers that the world is ever likely to know and, doubtless, there will be a trickle down effect of similar criminal activity to their other operations. Anyone that does business with eBay Inc. does so at their peril … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 16 21:24:47 2014

Philip Cohen:   You said it all so well!!!!

I have a problem with ebay's definition of "protecting our privacy" when they post our phone number in the "view order details" for the seller to see after we've bought something.

Ebay told me "that's in case there's a problem with the transaction" and I told eBay "THAT'S WHAT EBAY MESSAGES ARE FOR, ANYTHING CAN BE SAID OVER THE PHONE, YOU MONITOR THE MESSAGES LIKE A HAWK ANYWAY AND THIS WAY, THERE'S PROOF OF WHAT HAS TRANSPIRED BETWEEN THE BUYER AND SELLER".

This was one of the reasons I quit eBay a few months ago, but came back 2 months later only because I have so much stuff to sell and nothing was selling on the other 2 sites I mentioned previously.

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Mon Mar 17 05:40:35 2014

Ebay is becoming a parody of itself with rule changes and fee increases on an almost daily basis.
We would all be far better off concentrating on our own web sites and letting ebay sink without trace.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 17 08:57:08 2014

If you read between the lines and follow the $ then you know how/why the spring seller update came to be.

As bad as eBays reputation was the last 2-3 yrs - now its even worse.

eBay is hemmoraging customers and JD (aka mr brain dead) had no solution. All he did was ask the morons beneith him for a solution and they came back with the ONLY thing eBay knows "when something goes wrong in eBay land .. its a sellers fault".

When the exec washrrom is out of soap - its a sellers fault. When theres no more Mountain Dew Red in he vending machine - its a sellers fault, when verowatch.com's take from screwing sellers is down - its teh sellers fault, when the kick back from USPS isnt what it should be - its a sellers fault. Of course, now that most sane people are leaving eBay (buyers and sellers) its .... (wait for it) ...the sellers fault.

So, the solution is to once again tighten the "satandards" to squeeze sellers again and make them perform. Since they obviously are NOT perfoming (and the money for the lear isnt comming in fast enough) SOMEONE has to "pay the price".

If we get rid of another 10k small sellers, then theres more sellers for the beloveds and the kick backs roll back in.

How do you know if you are a beloved? If you have a rep and you get to do things like Deal of the Day (where eBay "buys goods" from you via rebates - to let you sell things belowe cost to drive traffic). Yes the fvf's on those deals are DIFFERENT (MORE) then regular sales/ssellers/

How do I know - it was explanied to me by a wholesalers whos involved :)

eBay at this point is such an industry joke - its just bewildering.

eBay bailed on CES after last years abismal showing .... no one wants to see or hear from them.

TWICE didnt even ask where they were - onyl why MS and a few others didnt show.

Im in the electronics end of eBay (and Im in NYC) .. I see most of my competitors socially (or have worked for them at one point or another in management) so we talk ......

"eBay is a joke, so we dont waste our time listing there". THAT LINE is said by every single one of them.

Those that do list either use D&H's feed to make sales and have D&H drop ship OR just sell the junk they cant move on their own sites or in their own stores on there. SAD.

IM TRSP - but who knows how long THAT will last.

I know Im not doing 90 day returns so Im good until then ... I guess.

My vendors wont take back stuff after 30 days if at all - a good portion of them are REPAIR ONLY ... but I dont think JD even understands how REAL businesses work.

eBay could be a gold mine for alot of sellers - but JD has turned it into just another ponzi scheme. The big guys send him kick backs and eBay does what they want (manufactorers pay off eBay too - Skullcandy did !)

by: COH This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 17 16:03:42 2014

Here's Carl Ichan twitter - he does not allow incoming tweets.  But look at his statement:

Carl Icahn Verified account
@Carl_C_Icahn
Chairman of Icahn Enterprises L.P.; etc., etc.

"Some people get rich studying artificial intelligence. Me, I make money studying natural stupidity.
ielp.com"

I guess that explains his contempt (?) of Donohoe.  I wish we could inundated his Twitter with messages.  I guess we could just add @Carl_C_Icahn to any ebay related tweets we make...

by: COH This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 17 16:08:28 2014

Where is the SEC?  Or the FBI and why are they not going after EBAY using the RICO Act?

by: COH This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 17 16:14:01 2014

Google Buying EBay/PayPal?  Could happen...

me-run-says-analyst-2014-03-17

by: Filadelfos This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 18 09:02:21 2014

This looks like another giant fiasco in the works....

1. WHAT business, anywhere on this planet, has a 92 day return policy?!  That's a FREE 92 day rental, as others have already said.

2. Damaged during shipment - This is something that's normally beyond our control.  That's why we insure expensive items, or replace inexpensive ones at our cost... shouldn't it be HOW WE RESPOND to this that is looked at, since the actual metric itself is outside of our control?!

3. Item defective - Again, this is something we have no control over.  Does eBay want us to open every package to make sure it works before shipping it out?  Then the item being received is no longer new in unopened packaging... this metric is entirely garbage!

4. eBays Estimated Delivery Dates - STILL broken & unrealistic.  I have an item up that weighs 32lbs, and is an oversized package.  They are too large & too expensive to be a stocked item for me, so I have them up with a 5 Business Day handling time.  I'm looking at it RIGHT NOW (3/18), and estimated delivery to me is as early as 3/26 via economy shipping. I'm not logged in, and I input a zip-code for a location 3 states away. That is overnight delivery, which isn't going to happen, were I a real customer looking to buy this...  ''Estimated between Wed. Mar. 26 and Thu. Apr. 3  Includes 5 business days handling time after receipt of cleared payment.''  Yes, it says it could take as long as to 4/3, but everyone knows customers see 3/26 & expect that this is when it will arrive.

5. Seller Cancelled Transactions - Then, eBay needs to have a CLEAR & EASY way for buyers to send this request themselves, instead of asking us to do it.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 28 03:22:16 2014

(I cannot tell you how close I feel for the LDS brother up there, you and I seem to have the exact same lives and you are not alone my friend).
Good luck, I am right there with you- good luck and peace brother.
Massachusetts Howler

by: OG This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 30 00:36:24 2014

The most saddening part unfortunately must be accepted and looked at for what it is, all of our emotional long standing ties to what we knew as eBay must be laid aside. The well thought out long term plan by eBay is working quite effectively. Each update causes the smaller sellers to scramble, and some will leave or self destruct under the new ''improvements'' while eBay's target merchants are largely unaffected. Non public partnerships reached with large companies to corner both old and emerging eBay markets (built on the traffic generated by those not in the loop) causes a conflict of interest with services like VERO. eBay emboldens new buyers with the promise of an immediate and flawless experience with no encouragement towards thought, common sense or the inherent responsibility that comes with making a purchase online, instead culturizing a ''minimal effort mentality'' that unfairly and unresponsibly burdens sellers (but not the constantly underperforming eBay partner merchants). A harbinger of fear in the shape of the disgustingly familiar ''one size fits all'' broad policy stroke hinders sellers with time consuming changes and difficult decisions to the ends of the larger companies being able to more effectively funnel the search traffic.

I am having a hard time deciding if these major changes are a complete overhaul of the feedback system in order to more swiftly reach the goal of the orignal DSR system, or if someone just slightly tweaked the existing system on a whim to keep sellers with an existing short to medium term business plan on thier heels. I imagine actual efforts to improve the functionality of the website would drive more buyers to the site then all the thinktank and code efforts going into the latest update. It would seem that the changes that come so often seem more as an attempt to grab some positive headlines or soundbytes with a spin showing continued efforts at improvement. I believe the resulting flak from the sellers is well anticipated by eBay and actually serves to take focus off of the actual problems that desparately need to be addressed but are probably not thought of as an immediate enough return on investment.

Imagine a first time buyer on the site trying to buy a few rolls of tape and wading through hundreds of irrelevant search returns in the best match system. Or a new seller on the site trying to figure out why the well known item they are trying to list isn't in the eBay catalog. Quality control is virtually nonexistant, how is it that we still return searches overflowing with manupulated titles when nobody can even explain how the search works? Who can guess the impact of paying for listing upgrades like subtitle and international search exposure when the ''secret'' search algorithm is changed so often? What expert decides which item specifics appear as the default choices across the different categories? How much impact do eBays ''listing reccomendations'' have on search exposure, when the reccomendations are commonly wrong? Anyone not have problems with the photo uploader across more then one browser? We can all thing of things that are way past due for a major change.

''eBay listened'' - Only a haggard eBay seller can taste the bitter irony in hearing and reading those words after screaming for years, being ignored, losing your voice and leaving (or being booted from) the site.

Thanks to everyone that takes the time to regularly post. It's difficult to not get caught up in it, all the unfairness causes quite an emotional and time consuming investment for me on many of these topics. All who post help to encourage free thought and idea exchange which provides opportunity for growth.

Presenting information that can obviously be interpreted in a variety of ways using uncitable statistics as reference to further any type of hidden adgenda is just blatantly immoral (similar to recruiting sellers into a GSP program under cetain pretenses only to sharply, suddenly and silently raise costs for international buyers without any notification or clarification as to which costs go to eBay and which are actual customs charges once the program gets off the ground). Obviously when any information is presented in this fashion the overall integrity of the source suffers.

Thanks for posting the link to the Icahn Proxy proposal, well worth the read. And thanks to Ina and all the regular contributors for your continued positive efforts. It is inspirational. -OG

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  [Next Page]