Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Nov 5 2014 14:11:46

eBay Opts More Sellers ino Its Global Shipping Program

Last week, a seller notified me eBay had opted him into the Global Shipping Program "right out of the blue." He said he opted out, but was told it takes 72 hours.

Here is his response to eBay on why he wished to opt out: "I have no interest in selling to non US buyers. But if I were interested I would want to make the money for shipping myself. If a buyer is willing to pay as much as you charge for that I would want to keep the money. I am not in business to make ebay or Pitney Bowes really rich."

This week, some sellers forwarded a notice they received from eBay telling them it was opting them into the GSP program. The subject line of the email was, "Sell to millions more potential customers," and here is the fulltext of the letter:

Dear (redacted):
We've noticed you have a number of listings that are a great fit for the Global Shipping Program but are not currently enabled for international sales. This means you're missing out on millions of potential buyers.

To help make it easier for buyers in up to 64 countries to purchase your items, later this month we will automatically enable all of your GSP-eligible listings.

International shipping and shopping made easy

With the Global Shipping Program, you simply ship to a US shipping center where international shipping and customs clearance are handled for you. And since your buyer pays all fees up front, there are no additional amounts due upon delivery.

No action is needed to take advantage of this global selling opportunity; simply leave your settings as they are now. Eligible items are identified automatically, free of charge. However if you would like your GSP-eligible items to be excluded from the Program simply click here by November 10, 2014.

And as always, thanks for selling on eBay!

One of the sellers who received the letter wrote, "Ah now isn't that awfully nice of them to automatically turn on GPS for me. I very much dislike their GPS program!! I had a pretty bad shipping experience with it, and turned it off of my personal account. Now they turn it on for my work account."

In tomorrow's Newsflash, we'll delve into some of the reasons why sellers don't wish to participate in the Global Shipping Program. What do you think?

Perminate Link for eBay Opts More Sellers ino Its Global Shipping Program   eBay Opts More Sellers ino Its Global Shipping Program

This user has validated their user name. by: iBuyers

Fri Nov 7 13:10:35 2014

In addition to those mentioned above Risk Controls we also utilize PayPal's country monitor. Found under PayPal My account>Profile>Selling Tools>Managing risk and fraud

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Fri Nov 7 22:21:43 2014

If you don't volunteer for GSP, General eBay drafts you,

by: collectorjim This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 8 20:09:53 2014

After opting out the program a few months a go I receive an email that was opted back in today. I've had enough of this nonsense and have decided to file a complaint with the California Attorney General. Doesn't eBay understand some of us sellers are really busy right now starting online businesses away from eBay.. :-)

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 01:54:41 2014

Hey Annie,
Yes, they are opting sellers in repeatedly.
I have had to opt out 2X now, and have not listed in over 18 weeks.
Peace to you dear,
MH

by: nohohon This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 3 21:17:34 2014

I could not find the email about being opt'ed in to the Global shipping. Had no idea until I had 4 items purchased today all from international buyers. I thought I had somehow changed a setting or accidentally picked international shipping on a few items. I sent emails to each buyer explaining what had happened and canceled each order which refunded the payments. I am sure I will be dinged in my ratings for refunding 4 purchases. Anyone know if ebay considers refunds a bad thing - even though they are the cause of them?

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 4 06:40:26 2014

@nohohon  I am betting YES on eBay counting these as defects. WORSE I'm of the opinion you will be LUCKY DUCKY if that is ALL that eBay does TO you. Canceling FOUR sales in such a short period of time could easily result in serious restrictions.  Maybe even a canceled account.  I know I seem to be contrarian on this, but when I peruse FeedBack pages of Sellers before I buy from them I am consistently SHOCKED by how many Goofy Buyers are just SO SO upset if their seller has to cancel their purchase and Refund the money. Almost without exception these same Irate Buyers also seem to have made Zero effort to Reach and Communicate with their seller.  Not to keep you awake at night, but if eBay is so rude as to keep Shanghai-ing unwilling sellers into their FUBAR Global Shipping Program I cannot be Shocked when they deal out Punishments and also don't inform Sellers of the punishment. The only thing I'd have done different would have been to PURSUE getting your overseas buyers to act to LIE and REQUEST that their individual purchase(s) be canceled as they ordered by mistake.  Once they each did so and You agreed to end you might well have been "golden".

This user has validated their user name. by: askalice59

Thu Feb 12 09:35:38 2015

Ebays offer to me this week of 100 free auction listing was tied to signing up for the global shipping program. Nope, not interested.

1 2 3 4